Paris 2024

Paris marathon tomorrow:

newnetstorage.lequipe.fr_aso_egp_maratho

I wonder if it would be the same route for the olympic marathon

Not if they decide they want it to end with a lap of the main stadium, but even if they don't, the infrastructure demands of an Olympic marathon are very different from a "people's marathon" and they might well choose a route which ticks as many tourist-site boxes as possible.

Not if they decide they want it to end with a lap of the main stadium, but even if they don't, the infrastructure demands of an Olympic marathon are very different from a "people's marathon" and they might well choose a route which ticks as many tourist-site boxes as possible.

You're right, an olympic marathon should end at the stadium, which is on the north of paris.

So the olympic route would be different from this route.

Je l'espère, il n'y a pas d'incidents fâcheux.

Ouf! Pas d'incidents facheux :)

And even a new record for the number of starters: 43317

http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us/the-race/news#news-91-all-champions

And even a new record for the number of starters: 43317

http://www.schneiderelectricparismarathon.com/us/the-race/news#news-91-all-champions

And also a new record for the number of finishers at the Paris Marathon: 41708

Paris is now the second largest marathon.

2 NOV 2014 New York 50,403

3 APR 2016 Paris 41,708

12 OCT 2014 Chicago 40,801

26 APR 2015 London 37,562

27 SEP 2015 Berlin 36,820

try to become the first one in 2017?

and far from the poles for the 2012 bid:

Un sondage de l'opinion publique commandé par le CIO révèle les niveaux de soutien suivants pour accueillir les Jeux Olympiques de 2012 : 85 % à Paris

et 79 % dans toute la France

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/2012JO-Rapport_de_la_commission_d_evaluation.pdf

and far from the poles for the 2012 bid:

Un sondage de l'opinion publique commandé par le CIO révèle les niveaux de soutien suivants pour accueillir les Jeux Olympiques de 2012 : 85 % à Paris

et 79 % dans toute la France

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/2012JO-Rapport_de_la_commission_d_evaluation.pdf

A public opinion poll commissioned by the IOC shows the following levels of support to host the 2012 Olympic Games:

85% support in Paris and 79% support throughout France.

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/2012_OG-Report_of_the_Evaluation_Commission.pdf

I agree with Yoshi. Back in 2005 it was completely different. We didn't know yet the effects of the 2004 Games on Greece's economy, Beijing and Sotchi hadn't happened yet.

The numbers for Paris are quite alright I would say, enough for the IOC at least. And in the end, I'm not sure this has much of an influence on the IOC voters...

A public opinion poll commissioned by the IOC shows the following levels of support to host the 2012 Olympic Games:

85% support in Paris and 79% support throughout France.

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Host_city_elections/2012_OG-Report_of_the_Evaluation_Commission.pdf

I think one thing influencing current opinion in France is a recognition that the 2012 Games which were so nearly theirs, did, despite cost overruns, benefit London and increased its "cool factor".

I think one thing influencing current opinion in France is a recognition that the 2012 Games which were so nearly theirs, did, despite cost overruns, benefit London and increased its "cool factor".

In that case, the support to Paris bid should have increased since 2005. On the contrary, it has decreased from 80% to 60%!

Many factors may explain this decrease. I can think of:

• the cost of the Games (particularly because of Athene 2004 case as it has already been said). This reason is not really legitimate as the games would certainly be cheaper in 2024 than in 2012....
  • the terrorist attacks
  • a mistrust against FIFA and IOC due to the corrupton cases
  • a feeling of unfairness after the 2012 bid

It's interresting to notice that the evolution is completely different in America. 59% for New York in 2005 and a very high support in Los Angeles now.

That's not an "evolution" though is it. It's just different cities.

Yes, not the same city...but the difference is so big that I think it can be compared:

-26% (85% in 2005 to 59% in 2016) for Paris opinion and -18% (79% to 61%) in France.

+26% (59% in New York 2005 to 85% in Los Angeles) and 54% in USA 2005 to ???? (it would be interrested to have the figures for USA)

It seems the misstrust is bigger in Europe than in America (see all lost referendums)

Yes, not the same city...but the difference is so big that I think it can be compared:

-26% (85% in 2005 to 59% in 2016) for Paris opinion and -18% (79% to 61%) in France.

+26% (59% in New York 2005 to 85% in Los Angeles) and 54% in USA 2005 to ???? (it would be interrested to have the figures for USA)

It seems the misstrust is bigger in Europe than in America (see all lost referendums)

That's sort-of my point. When it came to the crunch, citizens of European cities in recent years quite uniformly said No to the Olympics. The fact that London still seems to be one of the top two global cities suggests that fortune favours the bold, and that the popular pessimism is slightly mistaken. Given that Hollywood works on a similar basis, it's not surprising that the population of LA "gets it" more than some other potential host cities.

Or....LA is an exception to the general rule which also includes a lot of the USA. Don't forget how they got to be the US' bid in the first place. Boston never looked likely to win that referendum did it?

Edited by Rob.