Paris 2024

Compared to previous map,

152541.jpg

the new "grand Paris" zone has lost 2 pavillons (moved to Paris Expo Halls) and the hockey venue (moved to Stade Yves du Manoir)

153877.jpg

For the hockey venue, the goal is to have a reference to the 1924 games (Stade Yves du manoir was the main stadium of the 1924 games)

For the 2 temporary pavillons (moved to Paris Expo Halls), I think the goal is to stick to the 2020 agenda.

But on the other side, it gives a smaller "grand Paris" zone...

I think Paris is the clear favourite to win this.

If there's a negative aspect about their Games plan, it is the fact that with those temporary venues for badminton, volleyball and shooting, the Olympic Stadium and the Aquatics Centre would be left as stand-alone venues when the Games are over. The "epicentre" of the Games will not remain there for it to be visited as such like London's Olympic Park which still holds many of the venues. But, on the other hand, the Paris Centre Zone is just wonderful. Beach volleyball and archery have amazing settings that would look fantastic on TV, not to mention triathlon and open water swimming near the Eiffel Tower, cycling on the Champs-Élysées and also equestrian in Versailles. And it's a quite compact bid, which is always welcome.

I think Paris is the clear favourite to win this.

If there's a negative aspect about their Games plan, it is the fact that with those temporary venues for badminton, volleyball and shooting, the Olympic Stadium and the Aquatics Centre would be left as stand-alone venues when the Games are over. The "epicentre" of the Games will not remain there for it to be visited as such like London's Olympic Park which still holds many of the venues. But, on the other hand, the Paris Centre Zone is just wonderful. Beach volleyball and archery have amazing settings that would look fantastic on TV, not to mention triathlon and open water swimming near the Eiffel Tower, cycling on the Champs-Élysées and also equestrian in Versailles. And it's a quite compact bid, which is always welcome.

I agree.

I like the "Paris centre" zone with its path along the Seine joining many iconic venues.

But on the other side I'm a bit desappointed by the "Grand Paris" zone. The legacy of the games will "only" be the Olympic village and the acquatic center.

Looking at the different bids, my feeling is that Paris may have the advantage on the following points:

• concept:

on one hand, the "Paris Centre" zone with its fan "river trail" linking many iconic venues. it will make a really nice place for the games celebration.

on the other hand, the "Grand Paris" zone that should act as a cataclyst (even though I think the legacy could be larger with more venues in that zone) to the Grand Paris Project: major evoluton of the city which is planed over 15 years with 70,000 new homes per year, over 200 kilometres of metro network....

http://www.grand-paris.jll.fr/en/grand-paris-project/overview/id/40

• environment:

- More than 2000 kms of subway, tramway, suburban network (including the new Grand Paris 200 kms network)

- High Speed Train connected to the main french cities (including all of the football venues) and many european cities in England, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Spain.

- COP21 summit on climate change held at the proposed Paris 2024 venue of Paris Le Bourget (IBC / MPC).

- France has a very low level of CO2 emissions (http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PP.GD)

and Paris has a very active policy to further reduce these emissions and improve the air quality:
Velib’:
In 2015, nearly 22 million trips were made on Velib’, the Parisian bike sharing system. In place since 2007, the use of Velib’ is booming, with 1,800 stations in Paris and a major contributor to sustainable mobility.
Autolib’:
Launched in 2011, Autolib’ is the first public sharing system with electric vehicles to be implemented in a European metropolis. With more than 3,000 100% electric Bluecars, Autolib’ is an impactful step toward sustainability and contributing to France’s commitment to reducing carbon emissions by 20% by 2020.

- Water quality improvement of the River Seine (competition venue for Triathlon and Aquatics - Marathon swimming)

• compactness:

Within the 10 km radius of the Village, two thematic and operational zones, the Paris Centre Zone and the Grand Paris Zone, sensibly encompass a large number of competition and non-competition venues.

(Budapest plan is also very compact)

• Quality of venues:

A high standart for the 3 major sports:

- Stade de France is part of the diamond league. It's the biggest stadium for athletics (80000 seats) and the newest compared to Roma and Los Angeles.

- Arena 92 for Gymnastics (Half of the stadium will be used for gymnastics: 17500 seats). It is still under construction and is described here as the biggest, most modern and most modular arena in Europe.

http://www.arena92.com/a-connected-space/a-unique-big-screen-effect

- The aquatic center (15000 seats) will be delivered in 2023 and should be perfect for aquatics.

Some other venues are also quite new: Bercy arena newly renovated (15000 seats) + Bercy arena 2 (8000 seats) to be delivered in 2021, Water Sports Center to be delivered in 2018, track cycling center delivered in 2014, football stadiums renovated (or built) for Euro 2016, Roland Garros renovated for 2018, rugby stadium delivered in 2013.

Other venues are temporary venues (most of them in iconic locations)

(Los Angeles has this famous NFL stadium...what are they going to do with it? if it hosts Gymnastics and basketball, it will clearly be better than Paris venues for these 2 sports)

Their plan reminds me a lot of London's plan for 2012. A prediction. Badminton probably gets relocated to Paris Expo where handball and table tennis are held much like London did when they did away with plans for the temporary arena in Greenwich. Paris ends up building just one temporary arena for volleyball just like London only had one for basketball. Temporary arenas might save some money but there really is no viable plans for them once the Olympics are over. Both the London and Sochi Olympics already proved that.

Their plan reminds me a lot of London's plan for 2012. A prediction. Badminton probably gets relocated to Paris Expo where handball and table tennis are held much like London did when they did away with plans for the temporary arena in Greenwich. Paris ends up building just one temporary arena for volleyball just like London only had one for basketball.

In terms of "roofed" temporary venues (as opposed to seating around an area of play - of which there were several venues of this type), the water polo arena was also temporary, as were the shooting arenas.

In terms of what happened to the materials afterwards, no idea. I know many seats were given to sports clubs, but in terms of the shells your guess is as as good as any.

Temporary arenas might save some money but there really is no viable plans for them once the Olympics are over. Both the London and Sochi Olympics already proved that.

But they shouldn't be completely ruled out either.

It makes sense to put sports in existing venues if the venues are suitable. Temporary venues are a "least worst" option. Build if you have a legacy plan, put sports in existing venues if you can, but if neither of these are available, going temporary is far better than leaving white elephants. That should be the basic premise for all hosts when working out what to do.

Edited by Rob.

Beach Volleyball on the Champ de Mars, near the Eiffel Tower...

Bon jour, Paris!

12733416_10204348216944189_1412621946561

nbcsports.com

12733996_10204348214104118_9566900809451

nbcsports.com

Edited by ejaycat