Paris 2024

WRONG. OF course, security and hosting costs are doubled when you ramp up from the usual 4 venues to 8 or 9. Don't kid yourself into thinking that those costs don't add up. Tokyo 2020 - hello? But I see where they want to involve more of the country.

But football stadiums, at least those which are homes to top-flight teams, host matches which are broadcast internationally at very frequent intervals, and have security systems in place, which will need relatively little topping-up for the Olympics.

• Like 1

But football stadiums, at least those which are homes to top-flight teams, host matches which are broadcast internationally at very frequent intervals, and have security systems in place, which will need relatively little topping-up for the Olympics.

But the Olympics requires its own layer of vetting and accrediting. It's not like they can draft the same security people overnight -- especially in this day and age, and France's being a popular target of terrorists. Instead of sweeping out just 3 (because the 4th venue is always in the host city), hotels or dorms and having those on lockdown, you will now have EIGHT others. Other than a dry-run from Euro 2016, which is 8 years EARLIER than 2024, I really fail to see how having 8 venues and mini-villages across the land, is less a headache and expense than just having 3 distant soccer venues. And hey, why stop at 8 other venues? I mean what about the smaller towns? Get them in as well -- how about 20 sites so that no Department of France is ignored? :wacko:

You do realize that for every Summer Olympics now, there are, what? At least 2 dozen official stadia and arenas. The OV, the IOC hotel, the IBC, the media village; say, the top 12 hotels where the VIPs will be staying; what? another 2 dozen training sites? Plus maybe the top 20 teams in the world lease training bases? So, if Paris 2024 will have at least 75 sites under the protection of the COJO and the National gov't--adding another 6 won't make much of a difference? Think again.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

What about the FFR stadium (French Rugby Federation) in Paris bid?

it is not included in the bid for the moment (the FFR has some dificulties to find the budget and it is not sure it will be ready for 2024).

But in case it can be ready, should it be used?

It is planed 82000 seats and it will have a retractable roof and a retractable pitch. So it could be built 2 huge arenas inside.

Los Angeles has roughly the same project: http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-inglewood-nfl-stadium-labor-agreement-20150326-story.html

(discussed in los Angeles 2024 forum)

So, in case Los Angeles includes this stadium in its bid, should Paris do the same?

The main disadvantage for Paris is that this stadium will be quite far from the Olympic village (about 50 minutes)

http://populous.com/project/ffr-grand-stade-2/

FFR-plaza-de-bandas.jpg

I raised the idea of using the new rugby stadium in a Paris bid as well. I get that it's a good 50 minutes outside of Paris in Evry but if I'm not mistaken a metro line will cut the travel time down somewhat. Also Tokyo is holding basketball at the Saitama Super Arena which is about the same distance from Tokyo as the new French rugby stadium is from Paris. Seems like it would make a lot more sense financially to use the new stadium rather than spending more money on a couple of no-legacy temporary pavilions.

Yeah, you do get brass bands at (mostly international) rugby and football. The England one grates most of the time though.

And the cockerel (Chicken?! Honestly!) is the French mascot. I've still got a mug somewhere with the France 98 mascot on it. Second best cockerel in world sport...

France98mascot.png

This also gives me an excuse to post this....
Gallery: Mascots who failed to leave the pitch on time before a minute's silence, and had to join in

This picture fascinates me (an rugby ignorant American). Are there a lot of marching bands for Rugby? Cheerleaders? And what's up with that dancing chicken thing?

I've seen rugby 7s world cup series games in Australia and England and yea they get wild sometimes. A lot of the fans dress up in costumes and whatnot. I think the London stop has a theme for their games so people can dress up in that theme.

• 2 weeks later...

France declares economic state of emergency.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/20/france-adds-state-of-economic-emergency-to-security-situation/

I won't be surprised if all the European bids drop out. It wouldn't be the first cycle either.

The retractible roof will cover the 3.1 million square foot stadium and some of the area around it to the tune of 19 acres.

I think it would be best to just beat your competition fair and square, rather than hope they drop out, no?

I think it would be best to just beat your competition fair and square, rather than hope they drop out, no?

True I don't believe Paris would drop out of the race unless things start getting worse, which they very well could.

But I do think the state of their economy should play a bigger role come voting time. And if it has gradually gotten worse with no signs of improvement, it would be irresponsible of the IOC to give the games to Paris just for sympathy's sake. This does make Los Angeles look like the safer and more lucrative choice. Rome and Budapest would have no chance unless both Paris and LA drop out, which won't happen.

But I do think the state of their economy should play a bigger role come voting time. And if it has gradually gotten worse with no signs of improvement, it would be irresponsible of the IOC to give the games to Paris just for sympathy's sake. This does make Los Angeles look like the safer and more lucrative choice.

Just curious. Was that also your line of thinking when Madrid was bidding for 2020? Or better yet, would you still be thinking with this logic if Madrid was bidding yet again for 2024? I think that the French would just withdraw if they believed that things aren't getting any better, (unlike their neighbors four years ago), they've been more pragmatic about this whole thing since the beginning of their 2024 campaign.

With that said, Paris 2024 is still in a more favorable position than Madrid 2020 was, relatively speaking. And Tokyo 2020 was the "safer & more lucrative choice" than Los Angeles 2024 seems to be, again relatively speaking. These economic trends tend to go up & down, & who's to say that California's economy couldn't also be "in a state of emergency" again between now & 2024.

Just curious. Was that also your line of thinking when Madrid was bidding for 2020? Or better yet, would you still be thinking with this logic if Madrid was bidding yet again for 2024? I think that the French would just withdraw if they believed that things aren't getting any better, (unlike their neighbors four years ago), they've been more pragmatic about this whole thing since the beginning of their 2024 campaign.

I wanted Madrid to win for purely selfish reasons lol

Whether I admitted it or not, I knew their economy wasn't any better than Tokyo. But because their economy was one of the reasons for their loss for the 2020 race, it should be taken into consideration for Paris as well. And I don't think the economy in Tokyo, or even Japan, is faring any better than LA right now or even 3 years ago so against LA I think Tokyo would have lost that one, provided the whole revenue deal between the USOC and IOC was already resolved.

I can't remember who but there was someone here that posted a report that Tokyo and Japan grossly downplayed the state of their economy during the bid process, and it was worse than previously thought.

But because their economy was one of the reasons for their loss for the 2020 race, it should be taken into consideration for Paris as well.

I'm sure it will. But again, I would say that Paris 2024 is still in a much more favorable position than Madrid 2020 was, relatively speaking, with all of the tangibles involved, ie economic, geopolitical, etc. Not to mention that the IOC needs to desperately make inroads again in Europe much sooner rather than later. I've always said, but the main thing standing in Paris' way are the French themselves. And I still would say that is the case.

France declares economic state of emergency.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/20/france-adds-state-of-economic-emergency-to-security-situation/

I won't be surprised if all the European bids drop out. It wouldn't be the first cycle either.

The retractible roof will cover the 3.1 million square foot stadium and some of the area around it to the tune of 19 acres.

How's the gas leak?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/us/california-governor-declares-emergency-over-los-angeles-gas-leak.html?_r=0

https://hereandnow.wbur.org/2016/01/20/la-gas-leak-legislation