Paris 2024

^They were aiming to create panic & mayhem inside the stadium with the blasts (not to mention the initial deaths from the detonations themselves), & therefore many more deaths would've occurred.

Perhaps they thought that they wouldn't get frisked or what have you. But thank God that was the case & many more lives were saved because they were caught red-handed with those explosive devices.

they tried before for 2012, with New York in there and the mayor of Rome (which wasn't running for 2012) said the same thing about giving it to NYC on account of 9/11. But it didn't happen. Unless something else happens between now and Sept 2017, it will probably be Paris -- but we ALL have to be put through this whole CHARADE of the entire competition process, etc., etc., the IOC has to go thru all its paces, the dance, etc.,etc. But it's same old, same old process.

Exactly, & you know that some would cry foul if they did contemplate just "give it to Paris" because of this. Paris can win this on their own merit. I don't think that they'd want it out of pitty anyway. Now is the time for them to be strong & continue with their 2024 campaign as planned.

I don't think that they'd want it out of pitty anyway. Now is the time for them to be strong & continue with their 2024 campaign as planned.

I agree. They went into this bid before the attack, and they should continue on and learn from this experience to make the argument for a stronger bid. It's not like they were the USOC who coincidentally bid with NYC in 2012 after the 9/11 attacks and chose the unsuccessful Boston bid as the 2024 candidate right after the marathon bombing...

These attacks on Paris are horrible but as for the bid I don't think it will change anything. Any country can be hit by a terror attack so those folks saying this takes them out of the race or gives them an advantage I would disagree at this point in time.

The only way Paris can lose based on terrorism is if there are multiple attacks in the period between now and the decision in 2017, but one and even two incidents does not throw them out. And as much as I love the LA bid lets be real the US is more of a lightning rod for attacks. What these terrorists are showing is that they don't care who they go after they apparently have folks everywhere but we can't live in fear of these people and cower. Still think it's a strong race between LA and Paris but this does not knock Paris out of the frontrunner position

Also alphamale86 and FYI bring a good point. All of their other current bids for 2024 had the risk to suffering a similar terrorist attack like happened with Paris. After Charlie Hedbo attack, German police has found plans for simultaneous attacks in some German cities, also the Italian police stopped another attemp in Rome and right now LA is one of the biggest threads for ISIS. Even Budapest, with all the current controversy related to migrant refugees crisis and the negative from Hungarian government, can still be in danger (Especially for the recent close relations between Hungary and USA in military aspects and the pro nationalist rethoric).

If any case, this could be the beginning of a new wave of terrorist attack searching soft targets and spreading chaos.

After the 2001 attacks on NYC, many people believed that city should just be given an Olympic bid in an effort to show solidarity. Of course, as time passed, so did this feeling of unity and NYC's bid failed. I hope Paris gets the games in 2024 and not because it has been attacked but because it deserves to host and has worked for years for the right to be a host again. Nevertheless, why any city, in this age of lunacy, would want to go to such a staggering expense and have to invest more money in security than in actual venues and infrastructure defies logic on every possible level. Paris sure does not need the international attention. It is already a world class city and has been for five hundred years. In any event, Paris wants to host the games and I suspect they will. No matter where future games are held, the largest portion of the budget will go to security and that cost will geometrically increase with every new Olympiad. And no city will be immune from the monsters who committed this crime in Paris.

After the 2001 attacks on NYC, many people believed that city should just be given an Olympic bid in an effort to show solidarity. Of course, as time passed, so did this feeling of unity and NYC's bid failed. I hope Paris gets the games in 2024 and not because it has been attacked but because it deserves to host and has worked for years for the right to be a host again. Nevertheless, why any city, in this age of lunacy, would want to go to such a staggering expense and have to invest more money in security than in actual venues and infrastructure defies logic on every possible level. Paris sure does not need the international attention. It is already a world class city and has been for five hundred years. In any event, Paris wants to host the games and I suspect they will. No matter where future games are held, the largest portion of the budget will go to security and that cost will geometrically increase with every new Olympiad. And no city will be immune from the monsters who committed this crime in Paris.

According to the Daily Mail (the newspaper which seems to think the Kardashians and "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" are beacons of hope in an evil world) security costs for London 2012 were £553 million (over $850 million), which is considerably less than was spent on venues- indeed, considerably less than the post-conversion cost of the Stadium. Paris is being frugal on venues, but not frugal enough to make security a larger cost element, I reckon.

Now is that $850 million U.S.? Cause every report I've seen on the subject has always been a consistent $1.5 Billion, so almost twice the above amount. And for many of the additional unprecendented steps that the U.K. took to protect the 2012 Games, I see the latter amount as being a much more accurate figure.

Although, that figure is still low in comparison what the total cost of the 2012 were. However, with the unfortunate way the world is nowadays, I can only see security costs alone increase even more in the future. By 2024, it could mean a $2 Billion budget just on security.

I don't get why we're discussing security issues here. Do you realize 3 terrorists tried to get into the Stade of France but none of them managed to? What does that say about security?

What happened in the bars, restaurants, and the concert hall is completely different. What do you expect? Do you think we should have had cops or army guys protecting each bar, café, restaurant, shops, etc in this country?

Regardless, I'd like to thank you guys for your compassion which is much appreciated. France will get back on its feet eventually, as it always did.

Lafayette we are coming! Lafayette we will be there for France as we have been in the past!

This needs to be their logo, a blue, white, and red Eiffel Tower.

2001 happened in 2001 and the US hosted the Olympics a few months later. The IOC vote was in 2005...almost four years after 9/11 and the US/International Community showcased its solidarity in Salt Lake City. the 2017 vote is a year and a half away, these attack will still be fairly fresh and Paris didn't really need an attack to win...Paris can win on its own merit.

Now is that $850 million U.S.? Cause every report I've seen on the subject has always been a consistent $1.5 Billion, so almost twice the above amount. And for many of the additional unprecendented steps that the U.K. took to protect the 2012 Games, I see the latter amount as being a much more accurate figure.

Although, that figure is still low in comparison what the total cost of the 2012 were. However, with the unfortunate way the world is nowadays, I can only see security costs alone increase even more in the future. By 2024, it could mean a $2 Billion budget just on security.

Agree with you re: the figures. I thought it was closer to a billion pounds than half a billion.

I find it hard to believe cities will do much more than what London did though. We had missile launchers stationed on blocks of flats by the Olympic Park and a gunboat in the Thames FFS!

I find it hard to believe cities will do much more than what London did though. We had missile launchers stationed on blocks of flats by the Olympic Park and a gunboat in the Thames FFS!

I know. That is what I meant by 'additional, unprecedented steps'. I mean which Olympic host before, besides none, has ever had a practical battleship right on their doorstep! Lolz

But I mean relatively speaking to inflation, cuz if France wins the Games, by 2024 these things are going to be more expensive nonetheless. And after Friday's deadly attacks, I can only see the French also taking serious & drastic approaches (much like the U.K. did) to secure the 2024 Games.

Not to mention what kind of technological advances by then that we'll have that would add to the costs. Because that could go either way in helping in security, but also in ways that the bad guys can use in bad ways. So that means another layer of counter measures added there, too.

^To add to that, that also goes for Los Angeles. I can't even begin to imagine what security would look like at the next Summer Olympic Games in the U.S. I can easily see a $2 Billion price tag by then, easily.

Heck, we spent almost $200 million on protecting the Pope when he was here visiting three cities a couple of months, & that was just for one man, let alone protecting hundreds of thousands at the world's biggest sporting spectacle.

^They were aiming to create panic & mayhem inside the stadium with the blasts (not to mention the initial deaths from the detonations themselves), & therefore many more deaths would've occurred.

Perhaps they thought that they wouldn't get frisked or what have you. But thank God that was the case & many more lives were saved because they were caught red-handed with those explosive devices.

This. In tragedies like this one, we hear about what went wrong and how unprepared everyone was for such an attack. Rarely do we hear about the instances where security did its job and prevented further loss of life. Double-edged sword here given the scope of this terrorist attack, but let's not lose sight of those who did their job and probably saved more than a few lives.

OK, on further investigation, the figure I quoted was for venue security only. There was an additional budget of some £455 million for wider security/ policing.

However, it turns out that using the Army for venue security is way, way cheaper than using incompetent G4S; as a result, once the Army had been paid for its brilliant stepping in at short notice, there was around £100 million in change. Also, with the whole "summer of love" vibe, general policing costs were nearly £30 million less than budgeted. Result: total security spend down from a budget pushing $1.6 billion to around $1.36 billion.

Still a lot, but in a $14 billion total budget, not disproportionate.

If you give Paris the games because of the attack, you are forgetting the attacks on Beirut, Kenya, Nigeria, Metrojet and all the other places that have been bombed by ISIS. I care and feel love as much as everybody else on this matter, but I dislike when other terrorist attacks are ingnored and Paris's is made far bigger then any other attacks.

If you give Paris the games because of the attack, you are forgetting the attacks on Beirut, Kenya, Nigeria, Metrojet and all the other places that have been bombed by ISIS. I care and feel love as much as everybody else on this matter, but I dislike when other terrorist attacks are ingnored and Paris's is made far bigger then any other attacks.

I understand what you're saying. I think why this attack resonates so much is because of the location of the attacks. The world is always shocked when a major western power is attacked. The Madrid subway bombing, the London attacks and 911. There is always a shock that something like that can happen in a developed country. Beirut, Kenya Nigeria and Egypt are all in regions where, sad to say this, it is more likely to happen than not and I feel as though the world has become desensitized to some of these regions due to the common nature to which attacks such as these occur.

The implications that something like this can happen in a city like Paris brings the thought of the fight closer to home for everyday people who have notions that the fight is over "There" and not here. It's easy for average Americans, Londoners, Parisians to go about their daily lives knowing they're safe in their major cities away from the turmoil but when the fight is in your backyard it opens your eyes at how easy and how vulnerable every city on the planet is when it comes to terrorism.

• Like 1

I must not be keeping up on Olympic news lately. I missed where Beirut, Kenya and Nigeria were bidding for the Olympics.

If Paris gets the Olympics, it's not going to be because of what happened last week (which will be nearly 2 years in the past by the time of the vote, so we have no idea how much it will resonate by then). They'll get it on merit - by whatever that is measured - and any sympathy/empathy for them will be a very secondary factor. It is not insulting every other location that has been hit by ISIS to acknowledge what happened in Paris. It does not make you a racist to acknowledge 1 and not the other. Blame the media if you want for selectively deciding what to talk about, but don't make the case that every time we think about Paris, we're bad people if we don't think about other victims of terrorist attacks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I realize Wikipedia is spotty at best, but for what it's worth here's what they have as far as venues for a Paris Olympics. Some have already been mentioned (ie: Marseille and Versailles)

Stade de France - athletics

Aubervilliers - aquatics and water polo

Arena 92 - Gymnastics (artistic) and handball finals

Parc des Princes - football

Bercy Arena - basketball

Stade Jean Bouin - rugby

Halle Georges Carpentier - taekwondo and badminton

Palais des sports Marcel Cerdan - table tennis

Stade Roland Garros - tennis

Champ de mars - beach volleyball

Trocadero - triathlon (running and cycling)

Seine River - triathlon (swimming) and open water swimming

Les Invalides - archery

Grand Palais - fencing and modern pentathlon

Longchamp - modern pentathlon

Le Golf National - golf

Velodrome de Saint Quentin en Yvelines - track cycling and BMX

Gardens of Versailles - equestrian and cycling

Vaires-sur-Marne - rowing and canoeing (sprint and slalom)

Marseille - sailing

Palais des sports Paris - weightlifting

Paris Expo Portre de Versailles - boxing, handball, rhythmic gymnastics, volleyball, judo, wrestling

Le Bourget Airport - shooting

La Corneuve - field hockey

Parc des Expositions de Villepinte - MPC and IBC

On the surface, it seems plausible. It certainly makes use of existing venues. Really outside of the need for a mountain biking course, the only other venue needed is a secondary basketball arena. I don't think one arena for basketball will be enough. I've said before I'd like to see the bid somehow use the grande stade de rugby in nearby Evry. Seems a waste not to use what will be a state-of-the-art retractable roof stadium though I know Evry is a bit further out. I would think that problem could easily be mitigated with a metro link.

On the surface, it seems plausible. It certainly makes use of existing venues. Really outside of the need for a mountain biking course, the only other venue needed is a secondary basketball arena. I don't think one arena for basketball will be enough. I've said before I'd like to see the bid somehow use the grande stade de rugby in nearby Evry. Seems a waste not to use what will be a state-of-the-art retractable roof stadium though I know Evry is a bit further out. I would think that problem could easily be mitigated with a metro link.

They don't really HAVE to HAVE an arena for EVERY sport. Agenda 2020 says there will be some leeway in dropping a sport or two or 3 if those cause unnecessary expense. So maybe drop the Mountain Biking Course. And Paris might want to add Boule or Petanque.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Can't they simply put the mountain biking somewhere outside of ile-de-France? If the sailing is in Marseille why not have mountain biking near Lyon?

Yea mountain biking is one of those events where having it within city limits should not be obligated. I can't imagine it's worth it to warp your parks or what-not to even meet the demand of such an event. That's costly and unnecessary. I'm sure there are surrounding areas that have landscape suitable enough to have the event.