Paris 2024

The day the hopes of Paris hosting the 2024 Games vanished...

It must be the exact opposite. These attacks are intended to turn the world into a war zone of feuding religions. And the Olympics are -at least in principle- supposed to exist to bring the world together.

I am afraid that the cost of security is going to keep going up, though. Even for normal events like a France vs Germany match.

Oh **** off....just **** off.

My choice of words may have seemed tasteless to you in the aftermath of a tragedy but I still don't get your reaction. This was the second attack in Paris this year and it seems that considering the complicated relationship of France with many Arabic countries Paris has become the top target for islamist terrorists. Taking into account the growing problem of unsuccessful integration of their muslim population in the banlieus it's not something that will go away soon. They are not dead and buried yet (figuratively speaking!), will so far still run as favorite and I hope Paris will be host in 2024 but a third attack, especially shortly before the vote, would all but ruin their chances.

The comparisons with London experiencing the attacks after the vote are simply not valid.

The comparisons with London experiencing the attacks after the vote are simply not valid.

Why? Cause you say so? Other than the stadium (& even there, it was still OUTSIDE the stadium), the other targets that were hit were SOFT targets that are extremely hard to police, secure, etc. And unfortunately, could happen in any other large city on earth. The rest of your argument is neither here nor there, since the U.S. (which also has a 2024 candidate) isn't exactly on the friendly list of these terrorists groups, either.

My choice of words may have seemed tasteless to you in the aftermath of a tragedy but I still don't get your reaction. This was the second attack in Paris this year and it seems that considering the complicated relationship of France with many Arabic countries Paris has become the top target for islamist terrorists. Taking into account the growing problem of unsuccessful integration of their muslim population in the banlieus it's not something that will go away soon. They are not dead and buried yet (figuratively speaking!), will so far still run as favorite and I hope Paris will be host in 2024 but a third attack, especially shortly before the vote, would all but ruin their chances.

Have you forgotten that there was also a terrorist attack on the last summer games in the USA? That is a concern in every host city, and should not disqualify Paris from hosting.

If anything I think this shows an even greater reason for France to host. Not that they deserve the Olympics out of sympathy. Rather that the games could unify the French: white and black, Christian and Muslim, religious and irreligious. That is one thing that the Olympics always manage to achieve, even if they cost too much for a three week festival of sport.

Why? Cause you say so? Other than the stadium (& even there, it was still OUTSIDE the stadium), the other targets that were hit were SOFT targets that are extremely hard to police, secure, etc. And unfortunately, could happen in any other large city on earth. The rest of your argument is neither here nor there, since the U.S. (which also has a 2024 candidate) isn't exactly on the friendly list of these terrorists groups, either.

True. Also as you said (And maybe ikarus forgot), these were soft targets with random places (A restaurant and a mall). Unlike Israel, until today, most of the attacks to the Western World have been in big targets (Metro, big buildings, events). This was for surprise, not even the USA can act better in this kind of situation. Also:

it seems that considering the complicated relationship of France with many Arabic countries Paris has become the top target for islamist terrorists. Taking into account the growing problem of unsuccessful integration of their muslim population in the banlieus it's not something that will go away soon.

True but this isn't only a French issue. Assimilation or Multiculturalism, both sides of integration have failed to integrate the muslim population not only in France, but also in Great Britain, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and other Western European countries. Riots, poverty, misery, exclusion and violence have been the reality of the muslim youngs in our days. Recently (In 2012) Sweden (The country most known as a social democracy) had a riot and right now it's the country with the most reported cases of sexual violence per population. Equal to UK in 2011 (Just a year before the Olympics).

Also, related to foreign policy with Arabic countries, Western Europe is having not only a complicated but also a critical relationship after the crise of migrants and the participation of the big 4 countries (Germany-France-UK-Italy) in operations in Syria and Lybia. Merkel and company haven't give a full resolution related to these issues. which is created a snowball of catastrophes.

• Like 1

If anything I think this shows an even greater reason for France to host. Not that they deserve the Olympics out of sympathy. Rather that the games could unify the French: white and black, Christian and Muslim, religious and irreligious. That is one thing that the Olympics always manage to achieve, even if they cost too much for a three week festival of sport.

I wish you're right, but I fear extremist elements (and not only religious ones!) will use the terror to further split society, the unifying effect after the January attacks vanished quickly.

it seems that considering the complicated relationship of France with many Arabic countries Paris has become the top target for islamist terrorists. Taking into account the growing problem of unsuccessful integration of their muslim population in the banlieus it's not something that will go away soon.

They struck at France because they had their 'boots' on the ground there, so to speak (with all those Franco-Arabs) vs. greater vigilance in Russia or the USA where they know they wouldn't have a good chance of "success" that they had yesterday.

Watch out, Canada and Quebec. You're looking particularly vulnerable to me now.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

the unifying effect after the January attacks vanished quickly.

This is SO much worse than the single, specific attack in January, though. This is France's 9/11 - 3/11 - 7/7. Cities & countries around the world have already shown their support for France. I can't see this diminish as quickly as the CH attack did.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/14/sydney-opera-house-red-white-and-blue-world-cities-adopt-the-tricolore-paris-attack-reaction

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/see-landmarks-around-the-world-lit-up-in-blue-white-and-red-to-honour-paris-victims-11364016550210

Have you forgotten that there was also a terrorist attack on the last summer games in the USA? That is a concern in every host city, and should not disqualify Paris from hosting.

I hope so and hopefully the voting IOC members think that way too.

Why? Cause you say so? Other than the stadium (& even there, it was still OUTSIDE the stadium), the other targets that were hit were SOFT targets that are extremely hard to police, secure, etc. And unfortunately, could happen in any other large city on earth.

Do you really think it doesn't matter if the attacks happen before the voting or after it? Can you imagine the outcome in 2005 if the explosions in London happened one day prior to the vote and not after?

If it'd happened in London on 5/7 then I'm sure it would've affected the vote although in which direction, hard to say.

But this event is such a long way from the 2024 vote I'm not sure how much impact it'll have. Madrid was so close to reaching the final round for 2012 despite the train terror attacks a year before.

• Like 1

Do you really think it doesn't matter if the attacks happen before the voting or after it? Can you imagine the outcome in 2005 if the explosions in London happened one day prior to the vote and not after?

Ummm, okay. So if the London attacks had happened "before" the 2012 vote, the other cities left on the 2012 ballot, barring Paris at the time, had all suffered recent, severe terrorist attacks, ie New York & Madrid. So I really don't see the point you're trying to make here, when as you can see, all the other alternatives had been, or became targets.

Of the 2024 bidders, barring Budapest (cause let's be real, they ain't getting 2024, regardless), all of them reside in countries no stranger to terrorism. Just last December, Germany was on a "high state of alert" that an attack within the country could be imminent. And this past February, Rome was directly threatened by these radical groups. And of course let's not forget the United States, which is undoubtedly at the very top, if not the top, of the list of any these terror groups.

Obviously, in the wake of 2 terrorist incidents in the city in the space of a year with one of them taking place just outside the proposed Olympic venue, Paris will have to carefully re-think its security strategy in general and not just for protecting big sporting events.

I just hope that none of this will result in a weakening of the 2024 Olympic bid but rather act to strengthen it to make sure that the terrorists are not able to claim 'victory' by causing it to be abandoned!

And of course let's not forget the United States, which is undoubtedly at the very top, if not the top, of the list of any these terror groups.

There's also the organizational problem of customs in the USA being unusually tough on visitors from Muslim countries at the best of times. I have friends from Pakistan and Bahrain, and it is always a harrowing experience for them traveling to the states.

I can't imagine the difficulty for fans from places like Pakistan trying to attend a post 9/11 summer games in Los Angeles. And that will no doubt be on the minds of voters from those countries.

Edited by Nacre

This is SO much worse than the single, specific attack in January, though. This is France's 9/11 - 3/11 - 7/7. Cities & countries around the world have already shown their support for France. I can't see this diminish as quickly as the CH attack did.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/14/sydney-opera-house-red-white-and-blue-world-cities-adopt-the-tricolore-paris-attack-reaction

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/see-landmarks-around-the-world-lit-up-in-blue-white-and-red-to-honour-paris-victims-11364016550210

Not to mention CH had some controversy...this has no controversy, this was pure terror.

There's also the organizational problem of customs in the USA being unusually tough on visitors from Muslim countries at the best of times. I have friends from Pakistan and Bahrain, and it is always a harrowing experience for them traveling to the states.

I can't imagine the difficulty for fans from places like Pakistan trying to attend a post 9/11 summer games in Los Angeles. And that will no doubt be on the minds of voters from those countries.

There are literally no nations in the race that would be that much more accommodating. Every bidding city comes from the West, and hails from nations with notoriously poor relations with the Middle East and it's not as if these attacks will make that better.

Paris, Hamburg, Rome, Budapest, LA, all come from nations that would make it very difficult for any person from any Muslim nation to get in.

I don't get why we're discussing security issues here. Do you realize 3 terrorists tried to get into the Stade of France but none of them managed to? What does that say about security?

What happened in the bars, restaurants, and the concert hall is completely different. What do you expect? Do you think we should have had cops or army guys protecting each bar, café, restaurant, shops, etc in this country?

Regardless, I'd like to thank you guys for your compassion which is much appreciated. France will get back on its feet eventually, as it always did.

• Like 3

I must say I was a bit sceptical about Paris bid so far, so shortly after the previous failure and given the status of France within the Olympic organizations. But now, given what has happened, I absolutely wish that Paris is elected.

Edited by hektor

I must say I was a bit sceptical about Paris bid so far, so shortly after the previous failure and given the status of France within the Olympic organizations. But now, given what has happened, I absolutely wish that Paris is elected.

Stole my words.

I liked LA as an underdog trying to make the games financial again and that's why I went for them, but now I fully go for Paris. The attacks have changed my view on how comforting a city can be.

London showed how a city can go from, as Seb Coe said, the worst of mankind to the best. I actually think it'd be quite a nice gesture for the other candidates to pull out & allow Paris to be acclaimed. Would show solidarity & show France that the world stands by them.

London showed how a city can go from, as Seb Coe said, the worst of mankind to the best. I actually think it'd be quite a nice gesture for the other candidates to pull out & allow Paris to be acclaimed. Would show solidarity & show France that the world stands by them.

Yoshi, they tried before for 2012, with New York in there and the mayor of Rome (which wasn't running for 2012) said the same thing about giving it to NYC on account of 9/11. But it didn't happen. Unless something else happens between now and Sept 2017, it will probably be Paris -- but we ALL have to be put through this whole CHARADE of the entire competition process, etc., etc., the IOC has to go thru all its paces, the dance, etc.,etc. But it's same old, same old process.

Edited by baron-pierreIV