Paris 2024

So Western nations choosing not to bid as a protest is going to fix the problem of the IOC sometimes choosing dictatorships is it?

I'd love to know how long Tulsa thought this one through before he came to that particular "solution"!

Sounds a lot like how some think the solution to handling FIFA is to boycott them. As if ignoring the problem will make it go away.

This is not the first time in the IOC's history they've gone through some tough times. Yes, in comparison to the past, these problems are more of their own doing, but I don't think they're a completely lost cause. I could understand how many cities and nations wouldn't want to bid for an Olympics. But the right city in the right time and place I think has a chance to get past some of those issues. I think Paris and 2024 could be it. So they might be wise to NOT pass up such an opportunity and wait for the IOC to reform or else they may have missed their best shot.

I think democratic countries should stop to bid and boycott WoG and Sog, they should purpose a new kind of games without the IOC.

This has happened many times before and it never works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartakiad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Olympiad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bell_Classic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_Games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers%27_Olympiads

That said, I don't see anything wrong with France declining to host the Olympics if it does not want to. I don't think Western countries have an obligation to bid for the Olympics. Boycotts are not acceptable, though.

• Like 1

The IOC disgusts me. It disgusts me because it doesn't surprise me anymore, because money is more important than a snowy and compact bid. Beijing is like the WORST bid in Winter Olympics history, and yet they were chosen.

Someone must have said this before, but what choice did they have? They had two choices, because after Sochi set the perfect example of how to not host a Winter Olympics, Europeans and their people were scared away. But, now that the Agenda 2020 is truly in effect for the 2024 race, you can see that faith is beginning to return. If people still thought the Olympics was all about money no one would be bidding for 2024 except Baku and Doha.

Think of this 2014-2022 (excluding Rio and Tokyo, even Pyeongchang in some respects) as the 1976-1988 period. You had, between 1976-1984, a grand total of 3 different cities bidding. Then, in 1988, you had a former-military dictatorship and an experienced host country testing the waters with a new city. It just wasn't a good period for the IOC, but the games hosted were great games, at least for the athletes.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems kind of far. Could they not hold sailing at Cherbourg or Le Havre? Also any word as to whether or not the new national rugby stadium (82,000 with retractable roof) in nearby Evry will be used?

Marseille is just a 3 hour train (railroad) ride from Paris using the TGV. It was the 2013 European capital of culture.

It's also an incredibly warm and friendly city......that's if you don't get lost in the Quartiers Nord!

Seems kind of far. Could they not hold sailing at Cherbourg or Le Havre? Also any word as to whether or not the new national rugby stadium (82,000 with retractable roof) in nearby Evry will be used?

It does seem kinda far, considering there was also Brest or Le Havre. But maybe Marseilles put in a good big package, together with being a soccer satellite site -- so that's how they won it. After all, what would the 3 other soccer sites be outside Paris? My guess are Marseilles, Lyon and maybe Bordeaux -- just to spread it out geographically.

Also, there must be a board member or 2 on the SNOF who are probably Yacht Club officers in Marseilles, hence it got some attention within the Bid Committee.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Other candidate cities/regions were Le Havre, La Rochelle, Hyères and the Morbihan.

In terms of travel time, Le Havre is the closest from Paris, but I guess they preferred the warm sunny backdrop of the Mediterranean rather than a post-WWII Normandy industrial port.

London and Beijing didn't chose the closest ports as their Sailing venues either.

JO 2024 : Paris officiellement candidate à l'organisation

Paris a officiellement envoyé sa lettre d'intention au CIO et déclaré sa candidature à l'organisation des Jeux Olympiques 2024. «L'esprit olympique et l'identité parisienne ont en partage un même attachement à l'unité dans la diversité, une même tolérance face aux différences, une même revendication de paix commune et d'ouverture», peut-on lire en préambule du courrier adressé par e-mail et par voie postale au président du CIO Thomas Bach et cosignée par Denis Masseglia et Anne Hidalgo, respectivement président du comité olympique français et maire de Paris.

Les villes ont jusqu'au mardi 15 septembre minuit pour faire acte de candidature. Budapest, Hambourg, Los Angeles et Rome ont envoyé leur lettre ou vont le faire dans les prochaines heures, tandis que le doute subsiste encore sur les candidatures de Toronto, Doha et Bakou. Le vote pour l'attribution aura lieu en septembre 2017 à Lima.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tous-sports/Actualites/Jo-2024-paris-officiellement-candidate-a-l-organisation/589729?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=echobox&utm_term=Autofeed&link_time=1442052557#xtor=CS1-11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

L'Île-Saint-Denis seems to be the winner, with the media village and media centre in Le Bourget - Dugny.

JO 2024 : le village olympique serait construit sur l'Île-Saint-Denis

L'Île-Saint-Denis on wikipedia

5066723_e91d80d6-53f3-11e5-aac5-00151780

That would at these coordinates : 48.925180, 2.332699

Edited by hektor
  • Like 1