Paris 2024

Yes, beware you IOC member, if we don't get these Games your heads will be all oved the Eiffel Tower! :huh:

It might be useful for the unions to avoid striking during the visit of the Evaluation Commission - unlike in 2005...

Oh yeah, Roland Garros is an iconic venue and perfectly suitable for Olympic tennis!

It is a suitable venue. But the 13 years of back and forth to get Roland Garros expanded and improved would be enough to give the IOC pause about how successful COJOP (Comité organisateur des Jeux olympiques de Paris) would be in getting things done.

Edited by Faster

France should call in all its Olympic chits as the voting for 2024 nears. And it should be a full-court press with J-C Killy and Prince Albert working on their IOC colleagues.

Hasn't Killy retired from the IOC?

I think they're doing quite nicely with Estanguet leading the bid. France's Sebastian Coe, essentially.

Hasn't Killy retired from the IOC?

I think they're doing quite nicely with Estanguet leading the bid. France's Sebastian Coe, essentially.

Apparently Coe offered his services to help with Paris' latest bid, or so I heard. I wonder if anything will come of this or will the Paris organisers be too proud to accept help from the guy who cost them their last bid?

I am not sure it was Coe's winning personality that was the difference last time around.

Having Estanguet is good enough I think. He is popular, a former athlete, charming and French.

I wasn't talking about Coe fronting the bid, just helping behind the scenes. At least that's what I assume he meant.

I am not sure it was Coe's winning personality that was the difference last time around.

Having Estanguet is good enough I think. He is popular, a former athlete, charming and French.

Coe got London over the finish line with the IOC, the international media and the sports federations - something that his predecessor as London 2012 chairperson, Barbara Cassani, felt she couldn't deliver on. Plus, the fact that she was an American (at the time when the Iraq War was still fresh on people's minds) didn't exactly help. Overall, the chairmanship of London 2012 (even as the city declared its official intent to bid in 2003) was seen as a less-than-stellar career move. It was in that atmosphere that Coe took over and turned it all around.

Of course, the schmoozing by Tony Blair (despite all things Iraq, apparently), an badly timed corruption scandal in Paris and ill-advised comments by President Chirac also helped on the way - but Coe was an essential part of the equation, as impressively seen during London's final presentation at the 2005 IOC session.

Also, on an only tangentially related note: How do I post videos on here? I have not really figured that one out! Any help will be much appreciated!

Coe got London over the finish line with the IOC, the international media and the sports federations - something that his predecessor as London 2012 chairperson, Barbara Cassani, felt she couldn't deliver on. Plus, the fact that she was an American (at the time when the Iraq War was still fresh on people's minds) didn't exactly help. Overall, the chairmanship of London 2012 (even as the city declared its official intent to bid in 2003) was seen as a less-than-stellar career move. It was in that atmosphere that Coe took over and turned it all around.

Of course, the schmoozing by Tony Blair (despite all things Iraq, apparently), an badly timed corruption scandal in Paris and ill-advised comments by President Chirac also helped on the way - but Coe was an essential part of the equation, as impressively seen during London's final presentation at the 2005 IOC session.

It's cumulative. Coe's know-how, promise of a modern athletics stadium in London at last after the Picketts Lock and Wembley failures on that front, large regeneration potential which the IOC likes, the Youth message and the slickness of the final presentation, effectve lobbying and a hard-sell all added up. Take one of those things away and London might not have got over the line first.

To give Cassani her due, she put together a solid base from which Coe then pushed on from. London's bid was the last of the candidate cities to declare, and had a lot of catching up to do in terms of getting together venue plans, business backing, government support, public support etc compared with its rivals. She did a lot of that leg-work before she decided to step back, knowing she wouldn't be the person who could convince the IOC.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been checking a lot the Consultants Register page for the 2024 Olympic Games, on the official IOC page, and there were a lot lately, but today, there's only 3 left for Boston, 1 for Hamburg and Rome, and 4 for Paris. I wonder what happened. Can the consultants withdraw if they want to?

I've been checking a lot the Consultants Register page for the 2024 Olympic Games, on the official IOC page, and there were a lot lately, but today, there's only 3 left for Boston, 1 for Hamburg and Rome, and 4 for Paris. I wonder what happened. Can the consultants withdraw if they want to?

I don't think so. This only happens once every 2/4 years...and there are maybe at most 6 clients at one time. So it's not like there'll be another client waiting if you're not happy with the one you signed up with.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Coe is that charismatic? He's always struck me as quite cold and even abrasive.

Agreed- he just seems ill tempered and self centred these days. I would be surprised if he was an asset any more.

His angry comment during London 2012 that the Olympic Cauldron is 'not a tourist attraction' sealed it for me.

• Like 1

Agreed- he just seems ill tempered and self centred these days. I would be surprised if he was an asset any more.

His angry comment during London 2012 that the Olympic Cauldron is 'not a tourist attraction' sealed it for me.

Yeah it smacked of elitism and a narrow view of the Olympic "product" (ie/ that exposure to the flame be reserved for paying customers. Guess what? The Olympics ARE a tourist attraction)

London's cauldron was BEAUTIFUL - but you can't deny that the way the Olympic cauldron was front and centre for crowds to enjoy at Sochi, Turin, Athens and Sydney - is the better atmospheric outcome.

I wonder how Rio will overcome this.

London's cauldron was BEAUTIFUL - but you can't deny that the way the Olympic cauldron was front and centre for crowds to enjoy at Sochi, Turin, Athens and Sydney - is the better atmospheric outcome.

Pagan-worshippers. I don't really see the obeisance and wonder paid to a pyre or a burning kettle. Athens? Huh? What would you do with that slender reefer? I mean, the flame was so small, it was nothing to get excited about.

Pagan-worshippers. I don't really see the obeisance and wonder paid to a pyre or a burning kettle. Athens? Huh? What would you do with that slender reefer? I mean, the flame was so small, it was nothing to get excited about.

Yes. You're right. Seeing the Olympic flame burning in the Greek sky in a Calatrava designed cauldron would have been completely dull.