Paris 2024

For some countries it seems difficult to purpose another bid than their own capital, like Japan, England, France or Italia for SoG.

Boston it's a kind of Lyon or Marseille for me if I can compare. Boston is not the first city you think about USA but i'm sure it's good choice.

European colonies (frequently very large indeed) grew in a very different way from European nations (mostly very small). Hence the multiple megacities in the USA, or even Sydney / Melbourne, very much contrasted with the clusters of smaller cities which are common in Europe.

Sondage : 73 % des Français favorables aux JO-2024 à Paris

http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/so...15-4521311.php

Strange pole. I'm curious to know how they ask the question. But it seems too optimistic.

Moreover this pole arrives just 2 days before the report about the opportunity to bid for Paris. It look likes political manipulation.

European colonies (frequently very large indeed) grew in a very different way from European nations (mostly very small). Hence the multiple megacities in the USA, or even Sydney / Melbourne, very much contrasted with the clusters of smaller cities which are common in Europe.

Most of the large "newer" countries decided to put their political capital outside the largest cities. I have a hunch this prevented those largest cities form becoming the all-powerful super cities that dominate places like France and England.

Most of the large "newer" countries decided to put their political capital outside the largest cities. I have a hunch this prevented those largest cities form becoming the all-powerful super cities that dominate places like France and England.

Yes. In many cases this was intentional. IE US states capitols are usually their second to fifth biggest cities. Sacramento instead of San Francisco, Albany instead of New York, etc. And many of the larger new world countries built a model city for their capitol. Washington, Canberra, Brazil City, etc.

The other issue is that the new world countries rarely had a royal court. (Brazil and Mexico being sometime exceptions.) So there was no need to live in the city of the king or queen in to benefit from royal patronage. However I still think Dom Pedro II was the best new world leader of all time. And Mexico would have been much better off if the Franco-Mexican war was resolved peacefully with Benito Juarez as Maximilan's prime minister. That's more than a bit off topic, though.

What has caused the French government to change its mind on the topic of hosting? I wonder if the IOC has promised them some things behind closed doors.

Edited by Nacre

The French government was never again hosting, it was Paris's mayor who was reticent. She seems now more open to it (maybe that's pressure from the government, maybe that's her wanting to be more cooperative and show unity with Hollande after the tragic events of January, I don't know), still a long way to go though IMO.

The French government was never again hosting, it was Paris's mayor who was reticent. She seems now more open to it (maybe that's pressure from the government, maybe that's her wanting to be more cooperative and show unity with Hollande after the tragic events of January, I don't know), still a long way to go though IMO.

I think I read somewhere that she is now leaning in favor of the bid.

The only event I think playing a hand in all of this is the Charlie Hebdo attacks. Like the Boston Bombing, it is bringing the city closer together.

I may have posted before that that's exactly how Londinium came to be created by the Romans in the middle of a marsh. What they didn't quite get right was "the Canberra thing"- creating a capital which most people outside politics barely notice.

I thought Durban decided against bidding for 2024 electing instead to focus on the Commonwealth Games? If Paris is indeed going to bid, a field with Rome and either Hamburg or Berlin all but sets up a return to Europe in 2024, precisely why the U.S. should've passed on this round just like the Canadians did. I could see Boston being included in a four city shortlist and eliminated in the first round.

As for a Paris bid, I raised this question a while back, but where would the Olympic Village be located. Isn't the land that was marked for the OV in their 2012 bid now developed?

I'm pretty sure Paris will bid for the 2024 games, it's looking more and more positive. By 2024, a lot of infrastructures will be already built regardless the Olympics, and not much would be needed for the Games. The only issues right now is indeed about the Olympic Village, which will have to be close to the Olympic Stadium (stade de France most likely) and the Olympic swimming pool (probably where it was to be 2012, close the Stadium). There are a few options though, and I think it would be similar to what London did in 2012, transforming and old industrialised area.

I am not sure there will be a proper Olympic Park like there were ever since the 1992 games, but I think that Agenda 2020 was made to accept non-compact games, and anyway most of the infrastures for the games would be within a 20km limit, so I suppose it's acceptable.

I'm pretty sure Paris will bid for the 2024 games, it's looking more and more positive. By 2024, a lot of infrastructures will be already built regardless the Olympics, and not much would be needed for the Games. The only issues right now is indeed about the Olympic Village, which will have to be close to the Olympic Stadium (stade de France most likely) and the Olympic swimming pool (probably where it was to be 2012, close the Stadium). There are a few options though, and I think it would be similar to what London did in 2012, transforming and old industrialised area.

I am not sure there will be a proper Olympic Park like there were ever since the 1992 games, but I think that Agenda 2020 was made to accept non-compact games, and anyway most of the infrastures for the games would be within a 20km limit, so I suppose it's acceptable.

That is indeed a problem, since the Plaine St. Denis redevelopment (of which the Stade de France is a part) turned out to be a bit premature in Olympic terms.

That is indeed a problem, since the Plaine St. Denis redevelopment (of which the Stade de France is a part) turned out to be a bit premature in Olympic terms.

And for the Paris 2008 bid which had planned the Athletes village to be in Saint Denis, where the Stade de France is, the IOC didn't like this idea and suggested Paris to put this village somewhere else. As of now, it's suggested that the Olympic Village could be either at la Coureneuve, close to the Stadium and Saint Denis, or at Colombes, where most of the infrastructures for the 1924 Games were. It would then be between the Northern cluster and the Western cluster, so it could be a good option I think.

I'm pretty sure Paris will bid for the 2024 games.

I hope not.

The mayor of Paris promised to stop public spending... If she says yes to Paris 2024, it will be a politic problem for her.

Moreover when you have strong opposition in your team, it's very difficult to lead your team to the victory.In the French team some people thinks it's not the good moment to bid for Paris.

About the public support Paris mayor should do a referendum.

I read the summary of the feasibility report that was introduced today to Paris' mayor Anne Hidalgo and the press. It's obviously what we all pretty much expected, very very positive. The games would cost around 4.5 billion euros if you take out the 2 billion from the IOC. A vote within Paris council will be held in April. I think it will decide whether should bid or not.

• Like 1

I don't think she was actually against the Games, she was just being very cautious with the whole thing. Basically just making sure Paris could afford it and could win the bid! We don't want another Paris 2012. It's been 10 years but the wound hasn't healed quite yet.

I read the summary of the feasibility report that was introduced today to Paris' mayor Anne Hidalgo and the press. It's obviously what we all pretty much expected, very very positive. The games would cost around 4.5 billion euros if you take out the 2 billion from the IOC. A vote within Paris council will be held in April. I think it will decide whether should bid or not.

I read too, it is too optimistic... The cost is utopian and isn't realistic. It's impossible to bid with 4,5 billions.

Since 2000, No cities has spent less than 10 billions and every time during the application process they underestimated or they hid the real cost of SoG or WoG.

You can find the summary here in French :

http://www.lemonde.fr/jeux-olympiques/article/2015/02/12/jo-2024-a-paris-ce-que-dit-l-etude-dite-d-opportunite_4574763_1616891.html

Another article in French :

http://​http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/jo/candidature-de-paris-aux-jo-2024-les-questions-qui-fachent_821879.html

another in English :

http://www.connectsports.com/blogs/is-the-cost-of-the-sochi-olympics-worth-it/

I read too, it is too optimistic... The cost is utopian and isn't realistic. It's impossible to bid with 4,5 billions.

Since 2000, No cities has spent less than 10 billions and every time during the application process they underestimated or they hid the real cost of SoG or WoG.

You can find the summary here in French :

http://www.lemonde.fr/jeux-olympiques/article/2015/02/12/jo-2024-a-paris-ce-que-dit-l-etude-dite-d-opportunite_4574763_1616891.html

Another article in French :

http://​http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sports/jo/candidature-de-paris-aux-jo-2024-les-questions-qui-fachent_821879.html

another in English :

http://www.connectsports.com/blogs/is-the-cost-of-the-sochi-olympics-worth-it/

Tulsa, here's an article about why the Games always cost more than what was planned. It's interesting, and in French. Have a look.

http://www.eurosport.fr/jeux-olympiques/jeux-olympiques-2024/2015/paris-2024-le-vrai-cout-des-jeux_sto4597550/story.shtml

I agree that this is being very optimistic, but I also think it wouldn't cost more than 8 billion, since 1) the infrastructures are already there or will be by 2024, and 2) Transportation wise, the Grand Paris project will happen whether or not Paris get the Games, so its cost won't be considered part of the Games cost but it will considerably strenghten Paris' bid. The only major cost will be the Olympic Village, the media centers and an Olympic swimming pool.

Obviously recent Olympics have never costed les than $10bn but recent Olympics have never required so little infrastructure work. I can see the cost rising but not by much ultimately.

Agreed, and I think that if Paris indeed bids, it could win because of that. "Cheap" Olympics could seduce the IOC in order to regain attractivness after the insane costs of the last Olympics (Winter or Summer). That's why I don't think Boston stands a chance, since it has to build pretty much everything and would cost a lot more than what they've planned.