Paris 2024

True. Remember, since 2000, only 3 Olympics have been held in non-democratic Countries.

London 2012 = Democratic Country.

Sydney 2000 = Democratic Country.

Salt Lake City 2002 = Democratic Country.

Athens 2004 = Democratic Country.

Turin 2006 = Democratic Country.

Vancouver 2010 = Democratic Country.

Rio 2016 = Democratic Country.

PyeongChang 2018 = Democratic Country.

Tokyo 2020 = Democratic Country.

Only Beijing 2008, Sochi 2014 and probably Beijing 2022 are non-democracies. Almaty is a non-democracy too.

So the IOC has a majority of democratic hosts.

Why do you have to list London first? Why should london fall out of chronological order? It's little things like this that piss people off here. Better yet, why not make such an obnoxiously long list to begin with.

Besides, there are more free countries than autocratic ones anyways. The IOC will have to start catering more to the majority if they want to save face for the future.

• Like 1

Sapporo 1940 will be tough to beat.

Can you really call the IOC's biggest fail an Olympics that never happened though? I mean, given the politics of what happened there, you could also argue that 1936 was a bigger fail because it helped give rise to Hitler.

Your face is a non democratic country.

Your face will be the biggest fail in IOC history.

Way to be original.

Why do you have to list London first? Why should london fall out of chronological order? It's little things like this that piss people off here. Better yet, why not make such an obnoxiously long list to begin with.

Besides, there are more free countries than autocratic ones anyways. The IOC will have to start catering more to the majority if they want to save face for the future.

And last I checked, London is not a democratic country. It resides in a democratic country, but London itself is not a country.

If you have a strong bid maybe, you could win. But Paris is already down, because mayor of Paris doesn't want this bid, because Parisians don't want to host SOG and because lot of people think than SoG are too expensive. If your team is not strong since the beginning, you can't win and Paris is not strong enough for this battle.

Um, Hidalgo said she would support a bid if it was smart and sensible so...

And why does he put all the damn spaces, makes my hand hurt with all that extra damn scrolling.

Yeah! ur mom jokes r more funnier.

Your moms face was the worst Olympics ever.

• Like 2

I was being facetious.

You made the same joke twice. It may have been facetious, but still unoriginal to do it twice

Not sure if you're being serious? Ofan was never suggesting that.

I was being very serious, referring to the person who did originally suggest it. I trust Ofan knew where I was going with that.

your-mad-huh-your-face-.jpg

What the **** did you just fucking say about mom's spaghetti, you little spaghetti? I'll have you know I graduated top of my spaghetti in my mom's spaghetti, and I've been involved in numerous spaghetti raids on my mom, and I have over 300 confirmed bowls of spaghetti. I am trained in spaghetti warfare and I'm the top spaghetti in the entire spaghetti. You are nothing to me but just another spaghetti. I will wipe you the spaghetti out with spaghetti the likes of which has never been spaghettied before on my mom's spaghetti, mark my mom's spaghetti. You think you can get away with spaghetti over the Internet? Think again, spaghetti. As we speak I am contacting my mom, she has a lot of spaghetti, and your spaghetti ass is being traced right now so you better spaghetti for the spaghetti, spaghetti. The spaghetti that wipes out the pathetic spaghetti thing you call your spaghetti. You’re fucking spaghetti, spaghetti. I can spaghetti anywhere, anytime, and I can spaghetti in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my mom's spaghetti. Not only am I extensively trained in having spaghetti, but I have access to the entire spaghetti store. and I will use it to its full spaghetti to wipe your miserable spaghetti off the face of the spaghetti, you little spaghetti. I will spaghetti all over you and you will spaghetti in it. You’re fucking spaghetti, spaghetti.

I am sorry, but I have to add something, as I was verbally attacked by runningrings. Why do you have to sink so low and personally attack us when you disagree with us? Even if it's a 'joke', it's not funny. Sorry people, I probably will get some nasty replies to this, but I had to say something. It's not right.

Considering the level to which past predictions and opinions are held against posters here, you're going to look really ridiculous if PC is anything but the biggest fail in the history of the IOC.

Just out of curiousity, what is currently the biggest fail in IOC history? What's the benchmark that you believe PC will pass?

Because they haven't natural snow and they can't product artificial snow like in Sotchi. February in South Korea is the dry season, and the most part of the time they have lot of difficult to have artificial snow for their ski resorts. First point.

South Korea didn't host winter event like Alpin ski, Acrobatic ski (they try one time but it was cancelled because the track was too dangerous), Biathlon in 2009 was the biggest failed in the history of Biathlon... They have a big lack of knowledge about winter events.

Last one, South Korean doesn't care about this event, they won't have public fervor or supporter, excepted in short track and artistic skating.

I think the main problems will be the weather, without snow and without capacity to product it will be a failed. And the lack of knowledge about host winter sports event will be a problem for the show, maybe dangerous for actors.

Really here, nobody want to hear these problems because everybody thinks if you spend money you don't have problems...

I'm sure PC2018 will be a failed and a disaster for IOC. Why do you think nobody wants to bid for WoG in Europe ?

Because they haven't natural snow and they can't product artificial snow like in Sotchi. February in South Korea is the dry season, and the most part of the time they have lot of difficult to have artificial snow for their ski resorts. First point.

South Korea didn't host winter event like Alpin ski, Acrobatic ski (they try one time but it was cancelled because the track was too dangerous), Biathlon in 2009 was the biggest failed in the history of Biathlon... They have a big lack of knowledge about winter events.

Last one, South Korean doesn't care about this event, they won't have public fervor or supporter, excepted in short track and artistic skating.

I think the main problems will be the weather, without snow and without capacity to product it will be a failed. And the lack of knowledge about host winter sports event will be a problem for the show, maybe dangerous for actors.

Really here, nobody want to hear these problems because everybody thinks if you spend money you don't have problems...

I'm sure PC2018 will be a failed and a disaster for IOC. Why do you think nobody wants to bid for WoG in Europe ?

Nobody wants to bid because of Sochi's enormous spending. There's no way PC can be any worse for the IOC's image than the Games that Russia put on.

• Like 1

Yep, Pyeongchang is never cited by anti-Games groups, Sochi is the go-to for that.

My feeling with ticket sales is that Olympics generally buck trends. People want to be at an Olympics so if other events aren't selling out that isn't necessarily an indicator organisers will have trouble selling tickets. Pyeongchang was always about legacy as much as anything; getting these sports to grow outside of their traditional markets. Whether that's what the Olympics should be for is debatable, but it does mean we need to reserve judgement.

From what I've read, it seems Pyeonchang's biggest worry is domestic sponsorship, where they seem to be worryingly behind.

My feeling at the moment is PC will be an OK Games. It will neither leave the Olympic movement with huge problems, but I'm not sure it'll have that x-factor the best Games have.

Anyway, just realised this is actually a Paris thread!

After the reading the last two pages I'm going to attempt to swing the topic back to Paris. Let's just say Paris does bid (I think they will when it comes down to it). What would they need to change from their 2012 bid to get over the hump? I know the 2012 plan relied on a lot of temporary pavilions. I don't necessarily want to cite Agenda 2020 either. For starters, could Paris use an aquatic center like the one London had and scale it down post games? Paris has two retractable roof stadiums in the words in the National Rugby Stadium at Evry (I mentioned this earlier and someone mentioned it was a bit too far but maybe given the bidding climate that changes) and a new stadium for Racing Metro (though I've read that the retractable roof could be cut out to reduce costs). Both stadiums could be divided in two for indoor sports. Bercy could use a much needed renovation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't Paris have to find a new location for an Olympic Village because the land marked for the OV in 2012 has now been developed?

Is someone still a little butthurt that PC beat Annecy? Yea, that must be it.

Like Ofan said, Sochi is what scared off the masses. Think about all the European cities/countries that showed interest in bidding for 2022. Then they all start dropping out after they see the excesses from Sochi. PC had nothing to do with that, especially since a lot of their potential problems like the weather that you're mentioning and the lack of excitement for biathlon in 2009 wouldn't be issues in other European countries. They got scared off anyway.

After the reading the last two pages I'm going to attempt to swing the topic back to Paris. Let's just say Paris does bid (I think they will when it comes down to it). What would they need to change from their 2012 bid to get over the hump? I know the 2012 plan relied on a lot of temporary pavilions. I don't necessarily want to cite Agenda 2020 either. For starters, could Paris use an aquatic center like the one London had and scale it down post games? Paris has two retractable roof stadiums in the words in the National Rugby Stadium at Evry (I mentioned this earlier and someone mentioned it was a bit too far but maybe given the bidding climate that changes) and a new stadium for Racing Metro (though I've read that the retractable roof could be cut out to reduce costs). Both stadiums could be divided in two for indoor sports. Bercy could use a much needed renovation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wouldn't Paris have to find a new location for an Olympic Village because the land marked for the OV in 2012 has now been developed?

Let's be fair to Paris.. they were almost dead even with London 2012. 3 votes swing their way and we're probably talking about what a great Olympics Paris hosted in 2012.

I'm not too familiar with their 2012 plans and whether or not they need to make changes, but if they were able to get 50 out of 104 votes with that plan, it stands to reason a similar plan (with some alterations) would be very competitive. That is, of course, IF Paris should decide to bid, and that seems to be the question right now.

I am sorry, but I have to add something, as I was verbally attacked by runningrings. Why do you have to sink so low and personally attack us when you disagree with us? Even if it's a 'joke', it's not funny. Sorry people, I probably will get some nasty replies to this, but I had to say something. It's not right.

Your momma's not right.

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and this is my very first contribution to this topic.

One of the things you'll notice is that I'm very much interested in a Paris bid for the 2024 Games. I hope Paris will bid, and I definitely want Paris to WIN those Games. I do think Paris has a lot of potential, with very little venues to be build (most are already existing or will be by 2024). And I honestly think that the IOC will favour low cost Games for 2024 in order to regain the trust from countries and people who don't want to bid anymore (see of the case of the 2022 Games bids).

• Like 1

Anyway, just realised this is actually a Paris thread!

Feel free to discuss Paris in the PC thread!! :lol:

Also, today is the 130th anniversary of the birthdate of one of the great American composers, Jerome Kern, who, together with Oscar Hammerstein II, celebrated Paris in song. So, here's one rendition of the famous song...which won the Oscar for Best Song of 1943 -- THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS... Happy Birthday, Mr. Kern!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1