Paris 2024

Is that emotional rollercoaster still going to register when the day of decision comes 2 1/2 years from now? I doubt it. New York and 9/11 were different. London memorialized 7/7 in their Opening Ceremony. Would Charlie Hedbo be a blip on the radar for a Paris Opening Ceremony?

Maybe I'm being callous to the situation, but I don't see this as something that's going to be felt for a long time to come. Maybe I'm wrong. But if you think about it.. there is a 2024 candidate out there that had a solidarity moment born out of tragedy. Except it's not Paris.

Well, the Charlie Hebdo incident, although tragic, has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics, nor the Boston Marathon bombing nor the 9/11 tragedies, so their inclusion in the Opening Ceremonies in a specific form really makes no sense, unless it's something like what the US did at the SLC opening ceremony, a moment of silent while the flag that was hung at ground zero entering the stadium.

The 7/7 tragedy, however, was in relation to the Olympics so a tribute to those who lost their lives in that incident made sense.

But yea you're pretty much right in your last statement. Although Boston could host an Olympics, the Boston Marathon bombing tragedy definitely played a role as to why it was chosen. The same thing with New York City for the bid to host the 2012 Olympics. And Chicago being the former residence of President Obama played a large role as to why it was chosen instead of LA or San Francisco to be the US bid for the 2016 Olympics.

Really, unless the event was so tragic and destructive that it threw the nation or city into utter disarray and pity (preferably resulting in an inspirational/successful rebuilding and its journey), I really don't think it would be a legitimate foundation of a narrative, especially if the event would take place several years after.

This will have no bearing on a Paris bid, in my opinion. Madrid's experiences didn't.

These kind of demented violence shouldn't be fetishised to extract some sense of meaning - especially in this instance with Charlie - would have no place at the Olympics.

Salt Lake City was different - the nation was reeling from something on a catastrophic scale- and it was months later. If the SLC had hosted 2014- then 9/11 reference would have been extremely out of place.

London's memorial wasn't specifically 7/7 either. Although it was appropriate in reference because of its connection to the 2005 decision.

I think it would only encourage the city to bid as if bidding will prove their resilience. I think Bostons ability to handle her attacks helped in this recent vote to an extent.

I agree, I saw a article a couple months back that the IOC was interested when Boston practically shut itself down immediately after the Boston Marathon Bombings.

I think the Patriots' Day bombing in Boston is much more relevant to Boston's bid than any of the other tragedies of that have befallen other bid cities simply on account of the fact that it was a sporting event that was bombed. The very first Boston Marathon (held in 1897) was inspired by the revival of the Olympics the previous year. Not only that, the marathon is a marquee Olympic Event, which is oftentimes the final event with the finish incorporated within the closing ceremony. Without a doubt, if a 2024 Boston Olympic Marathon were to end at the very same finish line where tragedy occurred 9 years prior, it would be foolish not to commemorate the event.

If New York City hosts, I think they should and they probably will do a little 9/11 tribute, similarly to how Sochi did a WW2 tribute.

Sochi's tribute wasn't solely a WW2 tribute, it was a tribute to all the deaths in all the world wars and under Stalin's rule. And those events were an essential part of the reconstruction of Russia to what it is today. With 9/11, our nation didn't dramatically change to the level of a country torn by wars, although we did increase national security. But if Boston won there will still be some form of moment of silence of course.

Sochi's tribute wasn't solely a WW2 tribute, it was a tribute to all the deaths in all the world wars and under Stalin's rule. And those events were an essential part of the reconstruction of Russia to what it is today. With 9/11, our nation didn't dramatically change to the level of a country torn by wars, although we did increase national security. But if Boston won there will still be some form of moment of silence of course.

I think a 9/11 tribute would make more sense in New York simply because it changed the cities physical shape and it had an even deeper impact on American culture, especially on our views on globalization.

Any chance a Paris bid could make use of the city's stunning new concert hall, like LA2024 was proposing with the Walt Disney Concert Hall? I'm very envious of this building looking across the Channel.

Damn, that's insane looking. I'm sure they can think of some use for it in the Olympics. Or perhaps leave it as is and let the spectators who want to get a bit of culture other than the Olympics to enjoy it as its intended purpose.

Predestined for gymnastics, in my view! Otherwise it'd be excellent for the Cultural Olympiad!

Predestined for gymnastics, in my view! Otherwise it'd be excellent for the Cultural Olympiad!

Nah. It doesn't have the floor space needed for a gymnastics competition. Like LA's plan for the use of their Disney Concert Hall for weighlifting, this hall is only good for Boxing to make use of the surround audience seating PLUS it would only require like the current stage space. Gymnastics require even more floor space than a basketball court.

However, Olympic boxing arenas usually require at least 8,000 seating. This hall doesn't seat anywhere near that. Maybe trampoline gymnastics -- if the ceiling is high enough.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Paris won't bid, it's USA time in 2024, Boston will be the host.

facepalm-646x363.png

There is no sane argument that says it's the United States' time in 2024. If you want to tell us none of the European heavyweights will bid in 2024 and Boston will get it, that's one thing. But to spin it the way you are is just facepalm-worthy

• Like 1

There is no sane argument that says it's the United States' time in 2024. If you want to tell us none of the European heavyweights will bid in 2024 and Boston will get it, that's one thing. But to spin it the way you are is just facepalm-worthy

He's absolutely right actually. London already got it in 2012 when Athens had hosted in 2004. After a round of London-Rio-Tokyo, and if there's the choice between going back to Europe or finally go to the US 28 years after Atlanta 96, it's not excessive to say the US has an advantage.

At least, it's definitely not worth a facepalm...Or maybe the idea of Boston winning thrills you so much, you don't even want to believe in it. I hardly believe that such a seemingly expert eye on olympism like yours doesn't see how big your chances are.

(now, there's Africa, they'll probably give you a much tougher time than Europeans but that's another thing).