Paris 2024

Surprising (in a good way) poll published by the economic newspaper Les Echos last week (http://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-services/services-conseils/0203938791502-jo-2024-les-franciliens-majoritairement-favorables-a-une-candidature-de-paris-1064499.php)

60% of the nationwide population is in favour of a bid (33% are not in favour).

74% of students are in favour

70% of people under 35

68% of people living in the Ile de France region

49% of retired people

50% of people over 55

(51% of people living in the South West of France)

• Like 2

Surprising (in a good way) poll published by the economic newspaper Les Echos last week (http://www.lesechos.fr/industrie-services/services-conseils/0203938791502-jo-2024-les-franciliens-majoritairement-favorables-a-une-candidature-de-paris-1064499.php)

60% of the nationwide population is in favour of a bid (33% are not in favour).

74% of students are in favour

70% of people under 35

68% of people living in the Ile de France region

49% of retired people

50% of people over 55

(51% of people living in the South West of France)

Hmm... Pardon ??? I didn't read that when I read the article. I think you ought to present things in a faithful and honest way to our foreigner friends.

This poll is one of those that were designed to get a result that's in favor of the bid. There are only 2 POSSIBLE ANSWERS to a question such as "Do you want Paris to present an olympic bid for 2024 ?": YES or NO. That's all. In that poll -and you're not even mentioning it for everybody so I'll do it- , you have people who answer "I'm very favourable", and those who answer "I'm somewhat favourable" which is a more than tepid "support" and can definitely apply to people (and there's a few of them) who favor Paris on the principle and because it's Paris, but actually oppose it for reasons of costs and a hostility for IOC.

Secondly, it's noticeable that that the real & definite support (the "very" people...) only represents 27% of the whole people. We're falling down to an almost equivalent number to the rate presented in Le Figaro, who gave about 20%. The "somewhat favourable" size is bigger than this one, 33%, and for the reasons given above as well as for these people's likelihood to change their mind and quit supporting a bid, it is extremely hasty and even a lie to include them in the support side.

Something else you're not even mentioning is the 7% of people who are indifferent, and can those 7% be included in the support side ? Does the IOC look at people who are indifferent as people who support their city ? I don't think so. If you consider things, it is even the opposite.

You're already seeing that this whole "poll" is actually just a maelström of numbers and a mess that doesn't mean anything. But, last but not least, you are interpreting a support from the région Ile-De-France as a support from Paris ? I hope you're noticing with me that this "poll" shows nowhere what's the support of the Parisian people, in Paris. They're just giving the support rate for the whole region, and the nationwide rate. Yet, I thought that the most relevant & important opinion about a Paris bid would be that of....The Parisians ? Maybe they didn't like the result too much so they deleted it from their...."study" ?

You see, everything has to be said, and the support is certainly not as high as you presented it.

Hmm... Pardon ??? I didn't read that when I read the article. I think you ought to present things in a faithful and honest way to our foreigner friends.

This poll is one of those that were designed to get a result that's in favor of the bid. There are only 2 POSSIBLE ANSWERS to a question such as "Do you want Paris to present an olympic bid for 2024 ?": YES or NO. That's all. In that poll -and you're not even mentioning it for everybody so I'll do it- , you have people who answer "I'm very favourable", and those who answer "I'm somewhat favourable" which is a more than tepid "support" and can definitely apply to people (and there's a few of them) who favor Paris on the principle and because it's Paris, but actually oppose it for reasons of costs and a hostility for IOC.

Secondly, it's noticeable that that the real & definite support (the "very" people...) only represents 27% of the whole people. We're falling down to an almost equivalent number to the rate presented in Le Figaro, who gave about 20%. The "somewhat favourable" size is bigger than this one, 33%, and for the reasons given above as well as for these people's likelihood to change their mind and quit supporting a bid, it is extremely hasty and even a lie to include them in the support side.

Something else you're not even mentioning is the 7% of people who are indifferent, and can those 7% be included in the support side ? Does the IOC look at people who are indifferent as people who support their city ? I don't think so. If you consider things, it is even the opposite.

You're already seeing that this whole "poll" is actually just a maelström of numbers and a mess that doesn't mean anything. But, last but not least, you are interpreting a support from the région Ile-De-France as a support from Paris ? I hope you're noticing with me that this "poll" shows nowhere what's the support of the Parisian people, in Paris. They're just giving the support rate for the whole region, and the nationwide rate. Yet, I thought that the most relevant & important opinion about a Paris bid would be that of....The Parisians ? Maybe they didn't like the result too much so they deleted it from their...."study" ?

You see, everything has to be said, and the support is certainly not as high as you presented it.

God you are a piece of work.

• Like 1

Oh...By the way.

While we're there, it was right to mention that this was published by Les Echos. But did you mention that they indeed only published it, and that this "poll" was made by no one else but Uniteamsport. Certainly not a respected institution of journalism like Le Figaro; just a shadowy marketing and communication agency whose business is....Sport. Sport events is what they make money from.

Yep, yep...

God you are a piece of work.

Ehm....Thank you ??

Thank you for your corrections. I didn't intent to give a false impression that the support of the bid was high (I know from various articles/online polls/general media coverage of the issue that a big part of the public is hostile to the project, that's why I wrote that these numbers were a surprise to me). I over simplified the poll results because I didn't want to write a long post and badly translate the article.

Also, I didn't really know what they implied by "somewhat favourable". So again, thank you for your precisions.

I kinda suspected the poll was biased but I was blinded by the fact Les Echos published it (and the article doesn't really underline the questionnable nature of the poll) and my enthusiasm. I guess I still need to learn a thing or two (or ten) about lobbying and marketing.

Thank you for your great post and sorry guys for posting this misleading stuff :unsure:

Thank you for your corrections. I didn't intent to give a false impression that the support of the bid was high (I know from various articles/online polls/general media coverage of the issue that a big part of the public is hostile to the project, that's why I wrote that these numbers were a surprise to me). I over simplified the poll results because I didn't want to write a long post and badly translate the article.

Also, I didn't really know what they implied by "somewhat favourable". So again, thank you for your precisions.

I kinda suspected the poll was biased but I was blinded by the fact Les Echos published it (and the article doesn't really underline the questionnable nature of the poll) and my enthusiasm. I guess I still need to learn a thing or two (or ten) about lobbying and marketing.

Thank you for your great post and sorry guys for posting this misleading stuff :unsure:

Enthusiasm is never a crime ;) , sharing ideas is the purpose of such a forum and that's just what we're doing here.

No problem here...

• 3 weeks later...

French National Assembly approved this week a law according tax exemptions for UEFA EURO 2016 and all international events that would be elected before December 31st 2017 !!!

Which means... it is including the 2024 Summer Olympic Games as the election is summer 2017 ;-)

French National Assembly approved this week a law according tax exemptions for UEFA EURO 2016 and all international events that would be elected before December 31st 2017 !!!

Which means... it is including the 2024 Summer Olympic Games as the election is summer 2017 ;-)

Tax exemptions for the IOC - certainly a way to get public support for a bid in timey of economical problems...

I know it's part of the IOC (FIFA etc) wishlist, but maybe the Parliament shouldn't just guarantee this in advance like a carte blanche.

• 4 weeks later...

The French have often chosen the wrong battles so I hope they realize how good an opportunity this could be for Paris. Such an excellent chance just doesn't come around too often and I think Paris could win with a margin as wide as Beijing, Rio and Tokyo.

• Like 1

I don't see how 2012 was a wrong battle. That was seemingly a perfect opportunity for Paris as well. As with most bid races, things could dramtically change even just days before the final vote. What might seem like a perfect opportunity right now may turn out not to be as such two years from now. And we won't really have an idea of that until we at least have the initial list of applicants in September.

No, 2012 was not an error but 2008 clearly was (although I'm not sure how serious they were), 1988 or even 2000 would have been better than 1992, 2020 could have been there for the taking and so on. Of course we have the advantage of hindsight but I still see this as a perfect opportunity at the moment. There aren't guarantees but with the IOC probably desperate to return to Europe after 12 years and the opposition not necessarily as stellar as people might think (Germany's referendums and interest in the Euros hosting, Italy's sluggish economy and more recent hostings in both winter and summer) the stars could align very, very well for Paris.

The French have often chosen the wrong battles so I hope they realize how good an opportunity this could be for Paris. Such an excellent chance just doesn't come around too often and I think Paris could win with a margin as wide as Beijing, Rio and Tokyo.

2024 is the wrong battle !!! They should prepare and focus on 2028 ....

The application deadline though, is only nine months away. So it's not like Paris can just walce in there anytime they want in the next two years. But granted, if Paris joins the fray, they will be a formidable opponent.

Well, I'm sure good old Marianne can get busy tonight -- and I say that in the most loving way, since I am a great Francophile!! ;)

I'd say Paris would probably use the emotional rollercoaster of the last few days to cement a solidarity bid and really push a unified French nation into grabbing 2024...

But then we saw this method being used by New York when they were confirmed as USA candidate for 2012, soon fizzled out as realization of the task at hand and typical city politics kicked in. :blink:

I'd say Paris would probably use the emotional rollercoaster of the last few days to cement a solidarity bid and really push a unified French nation into grabbing 2024...

But then we saw this method being used by New York when they were confirmed as USA candidate for 2012, soon fizzled out as realization of the task at hand and typical city politics kicked in. :blink:

Is that emotional rollercoaster still going to register when the day of decision comes 2 1/2 years from now? I doubt it. New York and 9/11 were different. London memorialized 7/7 in their Opening Ceremony. Would Charlie Hedbo be a blip on the radar for a Paris Opening Ceremony?

Maybe I'm being callous to the situation, but I don't see this as something that's going to be felt for a long time to come. Maybe I'm wrong. But if you think about it.. there is a 2024 candidate out there that had a solidarity moment born out of tragedy. Except it's not Paris.

• Like 2