Paris 2024

The difference is that popular referendums are causing bids to drop, but people are never going to take to the streets in favor of hosting and make a government in a country like France or Germany bid for the games. It's not impossible, I suppose. But it has never happened in the past.

Obviously I have no idea whether South Africa will bid, but there's no reason to believe they -or Rome- will.

Come to that I'm still not certain even the USA will bid.

My point is not that any of these cities won't bid. I just think it's very likely that it will be a weak field. The IOC probably isn't going to have their pick of four or five great plans.

Well, I guess that settles it then. Baku & Doha it is.

Well, I guess that settles it then. Baku & Doha it is.

Baku Azerbaijan and Doha Qatar could get through to the next round for the 1st time in 2024 race which is very likely and be with Istanbul Turkey, Los Angeles USA and maybe Toronto Canada. I could see Baku Azerbaijan beating Doha Qatar and Istanbul Turkey.

Erdogon will still be in power of Turkey as President until 2019 and Baku is doing all the right things getting experience in hosting multi sporting events and developing the city I could see Baku Azerbaijan being the runner up in the final round of voting to Los Angeles USA if Toronto Canada does not bid for 2024.

Erdogon will still be in power of Turkey as President until 2019 and Baku is doing all the right things getting experience in hosting multi sporting events and developing the city I could see Baku Azerbaijan being the runner up in the final round of voting to Los Angeles USA if Toronto Canada does not bid for 2024.

I think Turkey/Erdogan should be more concerned about the refugee situation on their southern border right now than having Olympic wet dreams again. Or at least he better get his priorities in that order because so long as its southern neighbors, Syria and Iraq, are in turmoil, the IOC won't be touching Turkey with a 10-foot pole.

• Like 2

I think Turkey/Erdogan should be more concerned about the refugee situation on their southern border right now than having Olympic wet dreams again. Or at least he better get his priorities in that order because so long as its southern neighbors, Syria and Iraq, are in turmoil, the IOC won't be touching Turkey with a 10-foot pole.

When the middle east cools downs I think Izmir should be Turkey bidding city they got an clear and better laid out city and could be another Barcelona story Izmir is an better suited city for the SOPG then Istanbul, Istanbul Turkey tried 5 times for it Turkey needs a new bidding city for it and Izmir will be the right city for it.

When the middle east cools downs I think Izmir should be Turkey bidding city they got an clear and better laid out city and could be another Barcelona story Izmir is an better suited city for the SOPG then Istanbul, Istanbul Turkey tried 5 times for it Turkey needs a new bidding city for it and Izmir will be the right city for it.

GCL, France tried with Lille; Germany tried with Leigzig; the UK with Birmingham, Manchester. Didn't work. It's NOT going to work with Izmir. You're enthralled by its very Mediterranean setting, but I'd say Ankara would have more geo-political weight in such a race rather than nice but blah Izmir. Why should a very central gov't like Turkey invest billions in the #3 or #4 city of the country when after Istanbul, I KNOW they want to turn Ankara into more of a showcase of modern Turkey rather than Izmir. Izmir couldn't even win Expo 2020; and you think it will be Turkey's next Olympic city? :rolleyes:

And this just in --

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/turkish-jets-bombard-kurdish-positions-pkk?CMP=ema_565

What is Turkey, a NATO member doing? Instead of bombing ISIS, they are again hitting the Kurds since they already decimated the Armenians from their borders. Uhmmm... I don't think their NATO partners will be too happy.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Not gonna happen. Maybe you're right that Turkey needs a new strategy, but as baron noted, are they willing to invest money in the country's 3rd most prominent city when efforts to land an Olympics for their largest city have failed? To compare them to Barcelona is, well, it kinda looks and sounds like this..

cnn.JPG

There is only 1 Barcelona. No other city is Barcelona. To say another city could be Barcelona.. no, that's not possible, because they're not Barcelona. And they'd have to land an Olympics first to even attempt to replicate the story behind the 1992 Olympics.

You've brought exactly this point up before, got the exact reactions and counterarguments.

Obviously you either did not (want to?) understand last time, because you never took up the arguments against but just continued repeating the same stuff.

No news there.

GCL, France tried with Lille; Germany tried with Leigzig; the UK with Birmingham, Manchester. Didn't work. It's NOT going to work with Izmir.

The US tried (and won) with Atlanta when it was the 12th largets city in the US, and with LA when it was the 5th largest city in the US. As mentioned, there was Barcelona.

^Right, bcuz everything is so black-&-white like that when it comes to the IOC. :-/

You've brought exactly this point up before, got the exact reactions and counterarguments.

Obviously you either did not (want to?) understand last time, because you never took up the arguments against but just continued repeating the same stuff.

Surprise, surprise. GCL never listens to any sound reason whatsoever.

The US tried (and won) with Atlanta when it was the 12th largets city in the US, and with LA when it was the 5th largest city in the US. As mentioned, there was Barcelona.

France has one and only one city they should be offering up for an Olympic bid (not to say that other cities in France couldn't host, but could they win in anything other than a paper thin field). Great Britain has only 1 such city. Other countries such as Germany or Spain may have 2. A country like Australia could maybe offer 3.

The United States has many cities to offer. Atlanta was an aberration, but that's more a function of the United States being a country with many prominent cities rather than 1 or 2. Los Angeles won bidding against no one. So unless you're counting on that, it is foolhardy to try and bid with less than your best if your best is Paris which is 10 times the size of the next largest city in the country.

Should I add Osaka & Nagoya for Japan; Brisbane, a 2nd Melbourne for Oz; Toronto for Canada?

Toronto is the largest city in Canada. Montreal is actually the aberration.

There's also Munich, and Los Angeles is of course the second largest city in the US. Only 25 cities host per century, so it's not that surprising that there have only been a half dozen second or third cities to have hosted.

Toronto is the largest city in Canada. Montreal is actually the aberration.

I/we know that. But again, Montreal would be the city to take this on because of its French heritage much as the other larger, French=speaking city has played host to major world expo and 2 SOGs. Until recently, all Toronto was interested in was business. The LA-NY; Barcelona-Madrid, Montreal-Toronto and now the Rio-Sao Paulo dichotomies fit this particular Olympic template.

Oh, please. You're always such a black-&-white simpleton. There's so much GRAY area when it comes to the IOC & their fastidious & quirky demands/desires. One has to be inclined in how to read them, which obviously you're not.

I believe the word AthensFan used was "iconoclast." Seems appropriate here, if used slightly out of context.

In fairness the world's fairs usually leave a better legacy than the Olympics. It's a lot easier to design a positive legacy when a city can pick and choose what it wants to build than it is for facilities dictated by the sporting federations. Also there is a lot less stigma against using temporary structures.

Amen to this! The New Orleans '84 Worlds Fair (last one in the States, I'm not even sure we are apart of the organization) was not that big of a financial success, but in terms of development New Orleans got a Convention Center, renewed development, more confidence, etc. Before that New Orleans hosted them in the 1800's and got a massive park (Audubon). The Worlds Fair offer facilities that are more flexible and have greater ability to be used after the event.

If you think Expos leave a better legacy than the Olympics, you haven't walked around the abandoned acres of the OTT Seville World Expo site.... I think every event needs to be judged on its indidual merits.

Montreal had a number of white elephants after its world's fair too. But in general the world's fairs do a decent job of marrying a city's needs to the venues constructed, while the Olympics usually leave a bunch of useless venues behind.

It is surprising (to me) that more countries don't try and host the continental games and simply pay appearance fees for the best athletes. There are a bunch of cities in France that could host the new European Games, and a fund of only about 200 million euros in appearance fees would ensure the best athletes in Europe attended.

Edited by Nacre

If you think Expos leave a better legacy than the Olympics, you haven't walked around the abandoned acres of the OTT Seville World Expo site.... I think every event needs to be judged on its indidual merits.

Well, look at Montreal.. They don't have a good legacy from their Olympics and the Expos left too!!

• Like 1

Montreal is not like Barcelona - at the time a Montreal Olympics were envisioned it was the preeminent Canadian city, Toronto's rise was just after. perhaps a canadian could say otherwise, but that's always been my view. Very similar to Melbourne - it in the decades following the 56 Olympics that Sydney overtook it in many regards... Which culminated in 2000, which was very symbolic in that context. Ironically, Melbourne is again booming - would be one of North America's most properous and fast growing cities (up with Toronto) if it were located there... Some estimates have it overtaking Sydney as biggest city in the next couple of decades.... Maybe a post-hosting curse for some? Lol