Paris 2024

Looks like Paris France will not bid then if the Mayor does not supports it and Rome Italy looks like they will not bid for it as well leaving it a race between Berlin Germany and Los Angeles USA, With Berlin Germany having the most interesting story with half of he world being born after the fall of the Berlin wall and the rest being born before the fall by 2024 time the IOC leadership was in there just there 30s and Young Adults when the fall of the wall happen the re uniting of Germany happen Berlin has the most magical story to sell to the IOC the strongest economy in Europe and it has been more then an half century since Germany last hosted the Games.

If half the world was born after the fall of the Berlin Wall, why would they care or know that it ever existed? As said elsewhere, the whole reunification narrative is going to fade quickly the more time passes since it happened.

Then again, maybe the Alberta of Australia will throw itself into the race and all of a sudden, a Berlin bid will look dull anyway.

• Like 2

Looks like Paris France will not bid then if the Mayor does not supports it and Rome Italy looks like they will not bid for it as well leaving it a race between Berlin Germany and Los Angeles USA, With Berlin Germany having the most interesting story with half of he world being born after the fall of the Berlin wall and the rest being born before the fall by 2024 time the IOC leadership was in there just there 30s and Young Adults when the fall of the wall happen the re uniting of Germany happen Berlin has the most magical story to sell to the IOC the strongest economy in Europe and it has been more then an half century since Germany last hosted the Games.

What? I have know idea what you've just typed :blink:

Anyways, I don't see how Berlin has the better narrative (especially since you didn't include SA in the mix). Besides, we don't even know if Berlin is even selected or officially bidding. Ditto with South Africa.

...Then again, maybe the Alberta of Australia will throw itself into the race and all of a sudden, a Berlin bid will look dull anyway.

They're getting a shiny new airport, don't you know?

If half the world was born after the fall of the Berlin Wall, why would they care or know that it ever existed? As said elsewhere, the whole reunification narrative is going to fade quickly the more time passes since it happened.

Then again, maybe the Alberta of Australia will throw itself into the race and all of a sudden, a Berlin bid will look dull anyway.

Yeah, I have the feeling Berlins bid would be dull.

Maybe it's me coming from a military family that lived in Germany and was in Berlin when the wall fell, but I view that event as one of the most important events in human history. It represented the end of division and Soviet styled Communism. It represents Europe being one again and has played a major role in current events. it's not just an event significant to Germany, but an event significant to Europe and any other nation that existed in 1989. That is why the narrative is still strong today and will be strong fifty years from now (okay not as strong as is was in 1993, but still emotional enough to pull some strings).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is perhaps a dumb question, but why doesn't Paris have better support for football? Paris St Germain is a major European club, but they are the only Ligue 1 team in Paris and there is no Ligue 2 team in the city. Moreover a lot of the lower tier teams such as Paris FC don't draw well at all.

Conversely London has 5 Premier league teams in the city with one of them as the main Olympic Stadium tenant post-games.

A second major team to go along with Paris St Germain seems like a very obvious part of the legacy plan for the venues of another Paris Olympiad. But is there any popular enthusiasm for another Ligue 1 team in the city?

This is perhaps a dumb question, but why doesn't Paris have better support for football? Paris St Germain is a major European club, but they are the only Ligue 1 team in Paris and there is no Ligue 2 team in the city. Moreover a lot of the lower tier teams such as Paris FC don't draw well at all. Conversely London has 5 Premier league teams in the city with one of them as the main Olympic Stadium tenant post-games. A second major team to go along with Paris St Germain seems like a very obvious part of the legacy plan for the venues of another Paris Olympiad. But is there any popular enthusiasm for another Ligue 1 team in the city?

Paris FC apparently have great ambitions for the coming years. They're currently in National (third division) and are trying to attract foreign investors to help them reach the elite. Maybe in the future, Paris FC will be big enough to compete against PSG.

But the thing is we don't need a new Olympic Stadium in Paris, we have Stade de France, and it does pretty well with no tenant.

Well it looks like Paris is more likely to bid for EXPO 2025 than the Olympics:

http://www.lesechos.fr/politique-societe/regions/0203588239631-la-mairie-de-paris-plus-tentee-dorganiser-une-exposition-universelle-que-des-jo-1016262.php

What the article says:

- An Expo is cheaper than the Olympics

- It lasts 6 months, so the visitors are spread over a longer period of time

- It wouldn't be as majestic as Shanghai 2010. 90% of the facilities are already here and some events could take place in cities up to 2 hours away via high-speed train => good luck winning with that kind of cheap plan against a most probably more ambitious London.

Good luck to whichever US city is gonna get picked by the USOC then, i'm gonna start rooting for them. If they win i'd still be able to move to the US by 2024 and experience the Olympics in "my" country :rolleyes:

Paris FC apparently have great ambitions for the coming years. They're currently in National (third division) and are trying to attract foreign investors to help them reach the elite. Maybe in the future, Paris FC will be big enough to compete against PSG.

But the thing is we don't need a new Olympic Stadium in Paris, we have Stade de France, and it does pretty well with no tenant.

You're right, of course. I was thinking they would need another stadium for either field hockey or rugby (if it is added), but Stade Sébastien Charléty and Parc des Princes should work for that.

So it seems this race would be between the United States and maybe a city from South Africa or Berlin

It it amazing, but this could end up being another unopposed Los Angeles bid.

I doubt that will be the case.

I doubt it too, but it seems very possible at this point.

Paris does not seem interested in bidding.

Can Berlin get public support for a bid after the referendum failed in Munich?

South Africa is still trying to find uses for its World Cup stadiums.

China is going for 2022.

There's still time for things to shift. Rome could be a factor. Asia won't be no matter who bids. I wouldn't be surprised if Paris changes their minds - especially if the field is weak. Toronto might rethink things too. Durban is feeling less likely, but not impossible. Doha and Baku may pop up again.

Plus, the new bidding rules could dramatically alter the landscape.

There's still time for things to shift. Rome could be a factor. Asia won't be no matter who bids. I wouldn't be surprised if Paris changes their minds - especially if the field is weak. Toronto might rethink things too. Durban is feeling less likely, but not impossible. Doha and Baku may pop up again.

What new bidding rules? Internet bank transfers instead of brown envelopes!! :P

• Like 1

If Paris is out, I see the field as being Istanbul, Madrid, Los Angeles (or Boston), Doha (out first round) and possibly Rome, with the final vote coming down to Istanbul v. the USOC choice. I could see the IOC having a god-complex and giving the Games to Istanbul thinking they'd force political stability. I remember similar sentiment when they awarded the Games to Beijing (arguments that they will continue to force the opening of China, etc.). All speculation, though.

If Paris is out, I see the field as being Istanbul, Madrid, Los Angeles (or Boston), Doha (out first round) and possibly Rome, with the final vote coming down to Istanbul v. the USOC choice. I could see the IOC having a god-complex and giving the Games to Istanbul thinking they'd force political stability. I remember similar sentiment when they awarded the Games to Beijing (arguments that they will continue to force the opening of China, etc.). All speculation, though.

Madrid is NOT bidding a 4th time. The 2024 field will most likely be Baku, Doha and Los Angeles (if Paris is a big question mark and Durban is still sitting out). Istanbul is NOT a viable candidate. It is just too dense to stage a streamlined present-day SOGs.

• Like 1

Yeah, Madrid mayor said no to a 2024 bid. So maybe they'll stick to that & not stubbornly bid again at the last minute. As of right now, it seems that Berlin may be more of a possibility than Paris, going by current headlines. And CONI seems to be very interested, along with Rome mayor, but as with last time, it's the Italian government's ambivalence that's in question. And Istanbul seems to be more likely in bidding than South Africa. So we'll see.