Paris 2024

It's interesting to note that this article talking about Paris says that the USA would become the frontrunner for 2024. I guess no city wants to be labeled the frontrunner early on.

France mulling over 2024 bid
on 16/01/2014 at 00:00, updated on 16/01/2014 at 00:30
The bitter taste of their failure to win the vote to host the 2012 Olympics still lingering, France are considering bidding for the 2024 Games.

1165749-19940062-640-360.jpgReuters

However, a French bid would only be put forward if they "meet the conditions for a candidacy" Sports Minister Valerie Fourneyron told a media briefing at the Foreign ministry on Wednesday.

In 2005 Paris, following unsuccessful bids for the 1992 and 2008 Games, looked favourites to clinch the 2012 Summer Games but was pipped by London -- a result that left France stunned.

Last April, the Sports ministry and the National Olympic Committee created the French Committee for International Sports (CFSI) to shape the country's international sports policy.

"There is no point in going (for an Olympic bid) just because we're taken by it, we also need a strategy," the CFSI president, Bernard Lapasset, who is also the International Rugby Board (IRB) president, said.

While the 2012 London bid was led by double Olympic champion Sebastian Coe, the Paris bid was spearheaded by entrepreneur Philippe Baudillon, not exactly a recognizable face.

Now it seems France has learnt the lesson.

"We need the implication of the athletes from the beginning," double fencing Olympic champion Laura Flessel-Colovic told the briefing, which was chaired by French Foreign minister Laurent Fabius.

"Let's face it, we are potential consultants. We have a lot of power and it's not used enough."

Lapasset added: We all have this fantastic desire of hosting the Olympic Games in France one day.

"Let's put our heart, our energy into it, but also our intellect, our capacity to build a project that meets the requirements of the IOC."

France's hope to run for a 2024 bid could suffer an early setback should the United States enter the race.

Having fully restored their ties with IOC after years of disputes over revenue sharing, the U.S. are eyeing a bid for 2024 that would almost immediately become the frontrunner in that race after the snub for Chicago for 2016.

Applications to host the 2024 Olympics are expected to land at the IOC as of 2015.

http://asia.eurosport.com/olympic-games/france-mulling-over-2024-bid_sto4090432/story.shtml

Well, it's the tug of the Centennial of 1924 that is stirring this bid.

Is it really though? I tend to feel its just a good year for a French bid - the only thing that centennial is good for is that it reminds voters that it has been a century since France hosted a Summer Games.

But that point aside - I believe Paris would still be gearing up for a 2024 bid even if it wasn't the centennial. It's a good opportunity for them - I dare say a walk in if Rome doesn't eventuate and Durban underwhelms.

Agreed - Paris doesn't need the Centennial to be an alluring option. If anything, I'd expect they'll downplay it if not just keep plain stumm on it. It'll come up often enough in general discourse for it to be constant reminder to the IOCers about how long it's been since Paris hosted anyway. Paris need not, and probably should not, mention it at all.

• Like 1

Agreed - Paris doesn't need the Centennial to be an alluring option. If anything, I'd expect they'll downplay it if not just keep plain stumm on it. It'll come up often enough in general discourse for it to be constant reminder to the IOCers about how long it's been since Paris hosted anyway. Paris need not, and probably should not, mention it at all.

I agree. I'd keep mute about it. If mentioned it may seem arrogant and expectant - and perhaps draw a similar reaction to the Athens 1996 bid (which could be an issue for a city like Paris, as it is the 'second' Athens of the Olympic movement)

If successful - I can imagine it would be a point of reference in Ceremonies, etc - perhaps a roll call of Olympic hosts that starts at 1924?

I still really love the potential synchronicity between London 2012 to Paris 2024, 12 years later. There is something about it that just seems balanced and fair.

After Durban, Paris would be the most compelling option for the 2024 Games. If the French bid, they need to focus on everything but their centennial, which I'm sure they'll shy away from anyway. It's a moot point, just like "first city to host winter & Summer games" & " only major European capital that's yet to host the Games". The IOC only wants to hear how the host is gonna benefit them the most & not trivial little tidbits that don't really serve for anything.

Paris Diane need to play on the centennial theme. Athens needed to in '96 because they had to have it as a drawing card. Paris does not. They should be pushing on the merits that this is the time and place for a Paris Olympics, not simply that it's some anniversary of an event almost no living person would have any memory of. There are so many more themes to play up and beyond all that, I would expect they'd have a compelling case anyway. They don't need a bunch of intangibles

That should be Paris "doesn't" need

I think if pitched correctly - "A celebration the last 100 years of Olympics" the IOC voters might like it.

No it's a terrible idea. Anniversaries should only be played in a cities opening ceremonies or during an actual Olympic Anniversary. London and Paris could easily have said during 2012 that they would be the first cities to host the games three times, but they shied away from it. The IOC does not like sentimental things unless you have a damn good bid or pull their heart strings enough (insert Rio 2016).

I think Paris is the best place and Ideal place to host the 2024 games, I think there bid will be solid and one with a lot of international support. Still think the FOC should use Davey's logo ;)

The French were damn if they do, or damn if they don't for 2012. They didn't lobby as hard so as they weren't perceived as being too abrasive. So bcuz of that, they're being labeled "arrogant". Go figure. Such a miscontrued scenario, IMHO. They lost by four votes, too. So apparently they weren't that arrogant if they got nearly half the IOC to vote for them in the first place.

• Like 1

But that is your opinion, on the side of history that actually happened.

Who are you to tell Paris that their potential 2012 legacy was somehow less than London's? If Paris has an appropriate amount of existing venues and chooses to use a number of temporary venues, then that is was suits them. I don't see how that is terribly irresponsible, and would have probably been very appealing for the IOC following the huge costs and construction in Athens, and the gigantism of Beijing - a simple, straight forward Olympics in Paris would have been very tempting (and was for many IOC members, given how close it was to happening by just a few votes).

London just had a stella marketing team. I'm still not totally sold on the "Inspire a Generation" theme. It was a fantastic, Olympics winning pitch - but time could show it to be no more than a charming slogan. I believe the problems confronting young people, in terms of health (both mental and physical) are far more complicated than an Olympic Games that really only creates fond memories for those with enough dosh to actually experience it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And here's what I came into this thread to post in the first place, before I got distracted...

New velodrome aims to help French cyclists catch up with Great Britain

One of the abiding memories of the London Olympics in 2012 was French consternation at the tidal wave of British medal successes in track cycling. There was much Gallic muttering over the alleged use of "special wheels" by the perfidious Britons, deceptive tactics such as Jason Kenny's habit of underperforming between Olympics, and so on. On Thursday evening, however, the French cycling federation unveiled what they hope will be the key to unlocking Britain's dominance in the discipline, a sparkling, €68m velodrome in the outer suburbs of Paris.

Ironically, in view of the fact that from the outside its wood-clad exterior bears more than a passing resemblance to London's "Pringle", the French national velodrome is the only bricks and mortar legacy of Paris's abortive bid to host the Games that were awarded to the British capital. When London won the Games in 2005, the French Cycling Federation picked up the velodrome baton and ran with it.

The goal is that the velodrome will become a centre of excellence to compare with Manchester, where the British track cyclists have honed their skills since Lottery funding began in 1998.

As well as the 250m indoor track designed by the German Ralph Schürmann, - which on Thursday had that lovely fresh-sawn smell unique to new velodromes - the Velodrome National complex includes an Olympic standard BMX track – as does Manchester – plus accommodation for the 20-strong French national track cycling squad and 5-8 BMX racers, a 15km road racing circuit and mountain bike tracks. The objective is overt: the French want this place to become a cycling centre of excellence to match Clairefontaine in football and Marcoussis in rugby.

The World Cycling Centre director Fred Magne said: "I think France will go into a new dynamic here. For the trainers, it's a huge advantage to have the athletes all under the same roof. I don't think that it will be enough to beat the British in two or three years, but we will see results in the long term."

It may seem hard to conceive for the nation where cycle racing was born and which boasts the world's greatest cycle race, but France has lacked a world-class indoor velodrome since the demolition in 1959 of Paris's Velodrome d'Hiver, notorious for its use during the second world war as a holding camp for Jewish detainees en route to the concentration camps.

The tracks in Bordeaux and Grenoble do not come up to scratch, while the INSEP velodrome in the Paris suburbs where the French squad have trained up to now is so small in diameter that it becomes dangerous when sprinters such as Gregory Baugé and company hit top speed. It is said that when he met the great French sprint champion Daniel Morelon in the 1960s, President De Gaulle said he would build an indoor velodrome for the nation's sprinters; instead, the project was quietly forgotten until 2003.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/30/velodrome-french-cyclists-great-britain?CMP=twt_gu

FROM PARIS 2012'S BID...

3.jpg

LATER RENDERS...

image200912171026760.jpg

velodromestquentin.jpg

AND HOW IT LOOKS IN REALITY...

VelodromeExtdecCL105.JPG

RemiseClefVelodromeCL113.JPG[url=http://www.saint-quentin-en-yvelines.fr/fileadmin/portail/MEDIA/_Grands%20projets/Velodrome/En_images/final_decembre_2013/RemiseClefVelodromeCL113.JPG]

Edited by Rob.

No it's a terrible idea. Anniversaries should only be played in a cities opening ceremonies or during an actual Olympic Anniversary. London and Paris could easily have said during 2012 that they would be the first cities to host the games three times, but they shied away from it. The IOC does not like sentimental things unless you have a damn good bid or pull their heart strings enough (insert Rio 2016).

I think Paris is the best place and Ideal place to host the 2024 games, I think there bid will be solid and one with a lot of international support. Still think the FOC should use Davey's logo ;)

I agree : ). And they should get me onboard before the American delegation dazzles me with Hollywood razzmatazz

I think Paris will bid, & go all out to win. But I think it'll be 'one last throw' - if they lose 2024, Paris will never bid again. That's how it looks to me.

Never is too strong a word!!

As for the velodrome. It's not pretty but it does the job.

Paris will get a Summer Olympic Games at the earliest 2032. 2024 will go to Rome. 2028 will go to Durban. 2032 will go to Paris. Paris will get the 2024 Games if Rome doesn't bid.