Paris 2024

What is punctuation? ^^ :P :P

And the incessant need to clarify the geographical location of every city named, without punctuation:

Brisbane SEQ Queensland Australia Asia-Pacific will be the next Australia city to host Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2024 following the hosting of Toronto Ontario Canada North America will be before no Muslims will host Olympics because it is the event of God and God's Will will see Olympics and Paralympics held in God's Countries like Queensland Australia South Pacific where self-righteous idiots harp crazy about things they know little about.

• Like 1

Aren't there plans to add a retractable roof to Parc des Princes for Euro 2016? If that's the case, you could close the roof and divide the stadium into separate arenas. Racing Metro is also planning a new retractable roof stadium tentatively called Arena 92 in the Paris suburb of Nanterre. There's also the 80,000 seat Grand Stade de Rugby with a retractable roof though that might be used for rugby sevens. I know the Bercy Arena is aging. Perhaps by the time 2024 rolls around Paris would be due for a new 15,000 seat multipurpose arena.

More legacy venues, rather than temporary pavilions. Does Paris need another major expo building? That could accommodate many of the indoor sports and remove the need for temporary pavilions.

• 3 weeks later...

God - these European referendums are inane. Such persistent voting here in Australia would draw ire for the waste of public money. Isn't the point of electing politicians is that they (along with their advisors and policy makers) debate the pros and cons of things like Olympic bids (with the mandate of the people who elected them) to decide if they should or not?

Also - the general structure of referendums world over tends to always favour the NO - as we saw in Munich. Similar here in Australia in the 1999 Republic referendum. The no merges with the "i dont know".

Given my limited knowledge, but understand of French skepticism, I'd say given the Munich precedent, Paris 2024 is dead in the water.

As I mentioned last week - if the NSW State Government had held a referendum in 1991 as to whether Sydney should bid for the 2000 Olympics - it would not have gone ahead. Australians generally favour the No in referendums (only two of Australia's 44 referendums have ever passed). Given that, you would be hard pressed to find an Australian that has any meaningful reason to regret our hosting of the 2000 Olympics.

This might squeak through. But it all depends on which party is in power at the time of submissions.

I think next elections (parliament & president) in France will be 2017 only, not sure about local elections in Paris. Maybe Hollande wants to use a bid to brush up his image ahead of the elections.

France will elect its mayors in March 2014 @ Stefan.

And no, there was no referendum prior to 2012.

I wonder who said that and who reported that to the press because no one in France, and no official, has ever talked about a referendum. Some have expressed their opinions, and that's all. So I wonder how one could say paris will organise a referendum, when no decision has been made and no one has ever talked about it.

ATR reports there wll be a referendum next fall about Paris bidding for 2024.

No there is no plan for a referendum.... this is only an idea of the IOC member Guy Drut !

I highly doubt we will never see a referendum in France for such thing... This is not in the French culture....

• Like 1

I think next elections (parliament & president) in France will be 2017 only, not sure about local elections in Paris. Maybe Hollande wants to use a bid to brush up his image ahead of the elections.

The elections of Paris will be in 2014. The first time that the contenders of the two biggest parties are women. UMP - Nathalie Kosciusko-Marizet and PS - Anne Hidalgo.

No there is no plan for a referendum.... this is only an idea of the IOC member Guy Drut !

I highly doubt we will never see a referendum in France for such thing... This is not in the French culture....

Oh, that's explains all.

I have no idea where to put this but:

Helsinki is expected to host the 2017 IOC session (where 2024 will be awarded), after two other cities presented weak bids. Source:ATR

What does this mean for European bids?

That they're doomed, as the last time a bid from the continent where the awarding IOC session was held was successful was Athens for 2004 :-)

Joke aside, does it really have an influence where the session is taking place? I doubt it. Most IOC members will have made up their mind already long before, or will want to see the final presentations, I guess.

Paris, Monday 25th November 2013.

Ten day after having having met with the three French IOC members, French president François Hollande held a meeting at the Elysée Palace with his sports minister Valérie Fourneyron, Denis Masseglia, president of the French NOC (CNOSF) and Bernard Lapasset head of the international French sports committee (CFSI).

One of the subjects discussed was the possibility of a Paris bid for the 2024 SOG.

No comments were made after the meeting….

(French speakers only)

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/la-candidature-de-paris-aux-jo-2024-discutee-a-l-elysee-25-11-2013-3348643.php