Is there anything interesting about Tokyo's bid?

Athensfan

well, anyone who's ever seen lost in translation has surely said, 'oh, i want to go there,' so they really need to just play that up. and if you haven't seen it, go see it and pm me so we can talk about the last scene.

anyway, the fact that a thread like this can exist is a pretty compelling reason for why they could use an image makeover. the japanese seem very reserved to the rest of the world and an olympics may help tokyo-ites (or whatever) come out of their shell a little. i didn't see what was so damn exciting about rainy old london at first--not compared to paris at least--but everyone had a lot of fun there.

you raise a very interesting and previously unconsidered point for me. i'm not sure how i feel about tokyo now that you've pulled at my heart strings. i still want madrid or istanbul to win because i love a good underdog, but maybe tokyo wouldn't be tragic. doha would have been tragic. sochi now seems tragic. tokyo is harmless at worst, and 35 year old me will want to internet stream live swimming at a not ungodly hour.

"Lost in Translation" was uber-cool. Shoulda gotten an Oscar nomination for Art Direction, but of course they only nominate those period flicks. (Argh. Is there no justice anywhere?) Tokyo looked fabulous in that movie, I agree. Bid team doesn't seem to have the same vibe at all though.

Bid team doesn't seem to have the same vibe at all though.

I wonder if it's a cultural thing?

We've seen a few PR events from Tokyo during the campaign, but not as many as we'd usually get from many previous western campaigns. So much of the information I've come across personally has mainly been through the Japanese english-language media, like Japan Times or Yomiuri Shimbun. Yet they must have been pretty good at their domestic marketing to bump their support from 47% up to the 90s now.

Tokyo 2016 also wasn't a particularly "out there" high profile campaign, and the two bids we've seen from China for 2000 and 2008 also seemed to have been conducted more behind closed doors than in the grab your attention marketing style we're more used to to in the west. Likewise, PCs bids were a little more western-media-savvy, but even then, not as high profile as Munich's with Katarina Witt.

And then there's the oft-mentioned trend that we never seem to get Japanese posters, and how Japanese tend not to be active much on any western, english language websites.

The other question is whether the public campaigns do much anyway. I know we on GamesBids tend to follow them closely, and are quick to point out when someone, like Istanbul, seems to be behind the rest on branding and logos and publicly releasing bid books and the like, but at the end of the day, is it that vital when your main task is only to closely target and convince 100 or so individuals?

I think your last point is exactly right.

All that matters is the IOC voters. Their votes are going to be won primarily through personal relationships, building confidence and trust over a prolonged period. I don't believe a splashy public campaign is going to influence many voters.

I don't know why Tokyo wouldn't have an interesting bid. Istanbul is obviously the most exciting bidding city but I don't see Madrid any more interesting than Tokyo.

I don't know why Tokyo wouldn't have an interesting bid. Istanbul is obviously the most exciting bidding city but I don't see Madrid any more interesting than Tokyo.

Archived