How DC can get 2024

mr.bernham

Image:

The Olympic image for bidding cities is the skin. With out it the bid is nothing, and a poor one will result in problems. Some of the key things an Olympic Image needs is cultural connection and vibrant colors; a thing DC 2012 lacked. Yet this time around they seem to have picked up on that and have created a far more colorful look:

dc-2024-olympics-logo*304.jpgMy only complaint is the black DC, I think the D should be blue and the C red, I also feel the green stripe could be a bit more vibrant. Yet not only does the logo reflect the American culture (it's our flag), but it has vibrant colors. Another thing is the site; The color palette and site design not only look stunning, but it really brings the bid to life. The simple things like athletes in the back just create a beautiful image. So on image scale if they fix the above gripes, but keep up the rest this bids image has nothing to worry about.

Image:

The Olympic image for bidding cities is the skin. With out it the bid is nothing, and a poor one will result in problems. Some of the key things an Olympic Image needs is cultural connection and vibrant colors; a thing DC 2012 lacked. Yet this time around they seem to have picked up on that and have created a far more colorful look:

My only complaint is the black DC, I think the D should be blue and the C red, I also feel the green stripe could be a bit more vibrant. Yet not only does the logo reflect the American culture (it's our flag), but it has vibrant colors. Another thing is the site; The color palette and site design not only look stunning, but it really brings the bid to life. The simple things like athletes in the back just create a beautiful image. So on image scale if they fix the above gripes, but keep up the rest this bids image has nothing to worry about.

SMDH

I get this is Gamesbids, but to quote John McEnroe.. "you CANNOT be serious!" An exploratory committee was just formed and you're worried about the logo and breaking down what message it sends? There's about 1,000 more important things to DC's effort than the logo. That's 1 of the last things that need to come along. Do you honestly think the USOC is concerned about the color palette and their website design? Perhaps they're looking more at things like infrastructure, funding, and public support. Without those things, what good is having a logo.

Remember that this is not the same operation as it was before. Whereas in the past it was pretty much an open bid process, this time the USOC is taking more control. They'll decide who they wanted to have a further dialog with. And once they select a city, only then will the USOC work with that city to decide what the look and feel of their Olympics would be. That stuff comes towards the end of the process, not now. If you think the success or failure of DC's bid has much of anything to do with the logo, I think you need to take a longer look at things.

SMDH

I get this is Gamesbids, but to quote John McEnroe.. "you CANNOT be serious!" An exploratory committee was just formed and you're worried about the logo and breaking down what message it sends? There's about 1,000 more important things to DC's effort than the logo. That's 1 of the last things that need to come along. Do you honestly think the USOC is concerned about the color palette and their website design? Perhaps they're looking more at things like infrastructure, funding, and public support. Without those things, what good is having a logo.

Remember that this is not the same operation as it was before. Whereas in the past it was pretty much an open bid process, this time the USOC is taking more control. They'll decide who they wanted to have a further dialog with. And once they select a city, only then will the USOC work with that city to decide what the look and feel of their Olympics would be. That stuff comes towards the end of the process, not now. If you think the success or failure of DC's bid has much of anything to do with the logo, I think you need to take a longer look at things.

That was only the first one. I will be going through all the things DC needs to win from funding to legacy. An I would say the image does effect the bid- you need to visually impress your city/nation and the IOC.

That was only the first one. I will be going through all the things DC needs to win from funding to legacy. An I would say the image does effect the bid- you need to visually impress your city/nation and the IOC.

Except that there is no bid yet. Right now it's just an exploratory committee. It doesn't become a bid until the USOC turns it into a competition and that may not happen. When if it gets to that point, then you worry about something like a logo. That only should come AFTER other more important things are taken care of, not before.

• 2 weeks later...

DC doesn't have a chance. Maybe a joint bid with Baltimore...but DC can't host the Olympics. The metro system is in debt. Congestion is bad. I live there.

Can't be a joint bid. One metropolis has to take the lead. The Village, the Olympic Stadium, the IOC hotel, the IBC and a few major venues have to be in the lead city.

Yet not only does the logo reflect the American culture (it's our flag), but it has vibrant colors.

It's actually based on the city's flag (which in turn reflects the American somewhat) with an extra stripe added in to fit all five Olympic colors.

Can't be a joint bid. One metropolis has to take the lead. The Village, the Olympic Stadium, the IOC hotel, the IBC and a few major venues have to be in the lead city.

And Baltimore will likely be more excited but less prepared/qualified for the endeavor.

I think a DC bid is dead in the water, personally, for the reasons dchang mentioned plus the fact that the city's budget is controlled by Congress.

It's actually based on the city's flag (which in turn reflects the American somewhat) with an extra stripe added in to fit all five Olympic colors.

And Baltimore will likely be more excited but less prepared/qualified for the endeavor.

I think a DC bid is dead in the water, personally, for the reasons dchang mentioned plus the fact that the city's budget is controlled by Congress.

This could be the case, but we do not know for sure until the venue plan is released. Hope it's not as terrible as 2012.

The only way I can see DC as being remotely serious is if it scraps Baltimore in sharing of venues other than Football Preliminaries, sailing and additional accommodation capacity if need be,

Make it compact and in clusters. Don't be afraid in using temporary arenas for indoor sports alongside existing ones.

The only way I can see DC as being remotely serious is if it scraps Baltimore in sharing of venues other than Football Preliminaries, sailing and additional accommodation capacity if need be,

Make it compact and in clusters. Don't be afraid in using temporary arenas for indoor sports alongside existing ones.

That seems what the plan is. I read somewhere that only a very few venues would be in Baltimore. I think they learned from 2012.

That seems what the plan is. I read somewhere that only a very few venues would be in Baltimore. I think they learned from 2012.

Baltimore at most could host either Volleyball or Handball as they have an arena that's of size to host the finals of those events. But nothing else.

Archived