Sign in to follow this  
Gangwon

Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?

Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win?

2. 2. Who do you think will win?

GO Madrid! Vamos Madrid, from Spain hehehe

Coming to this election late on, and on the basis of nothing more than a quick skim of their websites, it seems to me that all three bids look pretty solid, but all have issues that could quite easily scupper them. For that reason, I don't think anyone can predict the outcome with any degree of confidence.

If I had to pick a preferred option, I think I'd just edge towards Madrid. If I had to pick a winner, I'd go for Istanbul.

The IOC is damn unpredictable, and they use to award the Games to those who try hard (not alway, but they do).They also know the political atmosphere could improve in 7 years if the Olympics go to the Muslim world. I guess it's going to be Istanbul.

Also the voters would be amuse following how Rio and Istanbul get ready, above all if the next candidate would come from Africa in 2024.

As I've been saying, the ideal could be Rio-Istanbul-Cape Town (or Durban). All those cities have wonderful scenery and in terms of marketing new regions will be inspiring to purchase gadgets and memorabilia.

As I've been saying, the ideal could be Rio-Istanbul-Cape Town (or Durban). All those cities have wonderful scenery and in terms of marketing new regions will be inspiring to purchase gadgets and memorabilia./quote]

It's like remembering the exotic 60s: Rome-Tokyo-Mexico City

I think I may have mentioned it before, but it echoes what you say: If the IOC is willing to take a chance on Istanbul, and that follows through with Africa in 2024 - it will be one of the most iconic and exciting periods in Olympic history since the 1960s when we saw a great leap of faith take the event from classical Rome to Asia to Latin America.

You could even argue that either side of this Melbourne 1956 in the far reaches beyond South East Asia and giving Germany a second chance to reinvent itself in 1972 was part of this.

I guess the shift to the neoliberal Olympics after LA84 has seen other key indicators bubble up to the surface.

EDIT:

I think I may have mentioned it before, but it echoes what you say: If the IOC is willing to take a chance on Istanbul, and that follows through with Africa in 2024 - it will be one of the most iconic and exciting periods in Olympic history since the 1960s when we saw a great leap of faith take the event from classical Rome to Asia to Latin America.

You could even argue that either side of this Melbourne 1956 in the far reaches beyond South East Asia and giving Germany a second chance to reinvent itself in 1972 was part of this.

I guess the shift to the neoliberal Olympics after LA84 has seen other key indicators bubble up to the surface.

With everything which is happening right now near Turkey plus how Erdogan looks now in front of the world after his actions, I'm afraid the Istanbul bid pretty much imploded. I dare to say they'll be the first ones to go.

I would want Madrid to get them, but if you want me to be realistic, I think Tokyo, although also having problems with the Fukushima leak, is the most probable winner. Which would be boring, though. Hope there is an interesting twist.

It seems it's a battle about who have less weaknesses at this point... Gosh...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Could the Italians be smacking themselves in the tush right about now. If not, they sure should be!

Perhaps 2020 really was destined for Rome. Now the universe doesn't know what to do in finding an alternative.

Oh well, tough luck, Rome. If Tokyo gets this I'd be right behind Paris snapping up the next Euorpean SOG.

With Rome in this race, Istanbul would be benefitted... The votes would be splitted between Rome and Madrid... Similar appeal and arguments.

• Like 1

Perhaps you're right, Danny. But the Italians are another influential bunch within the IOC. And come to think of it, I think heads would've been butting within the organization between the Italian & Spanish lobbyists that it more than likely would've made for good Olympic bidding drama. Plus, Rome is such an iconic & historical city that I still would've given the edge to the Italians.

Agreed, still, I see similar appeals, indeed, the split of ability to earn votes between two big European cities.

And also agree, if Rome was on, this bid race would be even more dramatic and thrilling.

I doubt that the IOC pays a lot attention to the police violence...

Rio someone?

(Did I post it?) haha

Baron, who do you think will do the best ceremonies? I'd say Istanbul, but you know far more about these than me (& possibly anyone). Thoughts? :)