Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?

Gangwon

Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win?

2. 2. Who do you think will win?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer either Istanbul or Madrid to Tokyo. I agree with Davey that Tokyo provides the best contrast to Rio and I do believe this will be a big factor. It used to be enough to earn my favor. The problem is that I still find the Tokyo bid dull. I'm not seeing a compelling "why". Also I'm not at all convinced it's Asia's "turn" yet, particularly in the immediate wake of Pyeongchang.

The thing that worries me is that this race seems to have taken on a certain "2 against 1" dynamic. I suspect that dynamic favors the "1" because it stands out slightly more in a mediocre field.

My preferences:

1.) Istanbul

2.) Madrid

3.) Tokyo

However I suspect the IOC will vote in the exact opposite way. C'est la vie.

Istanbul sounds most interesting. No Olympics before in Turkey and not many other major sports events. And the ceremonies' stadium looks fabulous.

But they have least existing venues and the least compact project. Also the doping scandals and this year's demonstrations haven't given a good image. I don't think this is the right time to give the Olympics to Turkey.

I like Madrid's bid the most. They have most existing venues so they have the smallest risk of getting white elephants. Also, they have a compact project even though sailing would be in Valencia.

But in Spain's current economic situation, I don't want Spain to get the Olympics.

So Tokyo is my favourite. They have an compact project even though they need to make more new venues than Madrid. But I think Japan is the most capable of the bidding countries to host the games successfully. And I like Japan and I'd like the Olympics there.

Then to what's the most likely host. If the IOC wants an interesting host, they'll select Istanbul. If they want most venues existing, they'll select Madrid. But if they think about the country most capable to host the games, they'll select Tokyo. I believe Tokyo isn't the favourite without a reason, I believe they'll get the games.

^Like Norwegian IOC member, Gerhard Heiberg, said in a latest article: "IOC members vote with their hearts, not with their heads. They will look at the presentations & vote right there & then, not thinking that this is seven years ahead. That could decide who will take the gold medal."

If Istanbul still wants to clench this, they need to drive home that youth angle. Show many pictures of the Bosphorus, & relay the message how the Games could inspire a youthful nation that's never had the honor to showcase the Olympic Rings.

A personal straw poll.

Now, my hubby loves the Games - at least when they're on. But he doesn't have any interest at all between festivities in host bidding or Olympic politics. He regards my time on GamesBids with bemusement and resigned patience.

He had no idea of the cities bidding for 2020 until I brought it up in the car on the way home today. Anyway, I asked who he'd go for/think should win?

"Well, Madrid of course!".

That raised my eyebrows - he's not one usually with a lot of affection for the Euro Spaniards, as he calls them - I can never convince him to go there on hols, yet he loves going to Tokyo every few years. "Why Madrid?" I asked surprised.

"Well, you couldn't go to Japan could you, they're a nuclear mess. And Istanbul - why would anyone want the games there?"

I just burst out laughing.

^Like Norwegian IOC member, Gerhard Heiberg, said in a latest article: "IOC members vote with their hearts, not with their heads. They will look at the presentations & vote right there & then, not thinking that this is seven years ahead. That could decide who will take the gold medal."

If Istanbul still wants to clench this, they need to drive home that youth angle. Show many pictures of the Bosphorus, & relay the message how the Games could inspire a youthful nation that's never had the honor to showcase the Olympic Rings.

And for every Madrid proclamation of being ambiguously the only great Western European capital to have never hosted - Istanbul has its NOW factor. It is Europe's youngest city & its fastest growing. It is also the largest city in Europe. I think that they should try and draw on that.

GamesBids members predicted who they thought would win in 2018 as well, just days before that vote. The result was:

Pyeongchang - 36 votes (64%)

Munich - 15 votes (26%)

Annecy - 5 votes (8%)

As it turned out, the percentages were almost identical to the actual vote. 63 IOC members voted for Pyeongchang, 25 for Munich, and 7 Annecy.

For 2020, the current predictions are:

Tokyo - 20 votes (60%)

Madrid - 10 votes (30%)

Istanbul - 3 votes (9%)

Could this be another GamesBids bullseye prediction, and a Tokyo runaway victory?

Interesting!

2012 Host City Election – ballot results City NOC Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 London 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.pngGreat Britain 22 27 39 54 Paris 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.pngFrance 21 25 33 50 Madrid 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.pngSpain 20 32 31 — New York City 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUnited States 19 16 — — Moscow 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.pngRussia 15 — — —

Directly from Wikipedia :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_2012_Summer_Olympics

Cities Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round4

London 22 27 39 54

Paris 21 25 33 50

Madrid 20 32 31

NY 19 16

Moscow 15

let's see if now its OK

he meant does anyone have the GB voting figures for 2012 from 2005, which is an ever dumber question if you can believe it.

hey intoronto, who could possibly remember what they were reading in june of 2005? while i'm sure mom saved your 4th grade notebook to help you out, the internet doesn't work that way. archive sites don't record individual threads.

he meant does anyone have the GB voting figures for 2012 from 2005, which is an ever dumber question if you can believe it.

hey intoronto, who could possibly remember what they were reading in june of 2005? while i'm sure mom saved your 4th grade notebook to help you out, the internet doesn't work that way. archive sites don't record individual threads.

Shut up.

i get the feeling, when you follow my posts around, that you're trolling me for the thrill of a personalized jab from me in your own sad little direction.

but nah. not worth it.

It's not trolling. I was telling you to lay off from being so condescending towards other posters. There's no need to be a dick...it was just an inquiry by intoronto.

Archived