Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?

Gangwon

Who do you want to win, who do you think will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win?

2. 2. Who do you think will win?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Istanbul winning i think would be one surprising upset that would please a lot of people here. The others would ensure polarise reactions.

An Istanbul victory would excite me.

A Madrid victory would surprise and intrigue me.

A Tokyo victory would bore me.

I remember in 2012 I was sure Paris would win and I REALLY wanted London to beat them. Right up until the moment Rogge opened the envelope I was sure it was Paris. Then he announced London and I was ecstatic. THRILLED. I really hope that happens again.

I voted Tokyo for both but without 100% conviction in either.

I do think a Tokyo Games would be great. It's a city I'd like to visit (which is a good start), one of the world's true mega-cities, and I do think if they get the Games they'll mould something brilliant, even if their bid team is having trouble defining what that is right now. If nothing else, the Japanese in the crowd at Wembley last August for the women's gold medal match were loud and enthusiastic and if that's reflected in Tokyo it'll be a success.

But I'm not going to lie because I did want Istanbul to win until Erdogen started becoming authoritarian. I don't like the idea of him being rewarded by the IOC, and also I think Istanbul's bid plan, as wonderful as the city is, could cause headaches too. Madrid has two things going for it from my perspective....it's close and I like the look of their Olympic Park, but they're not reasons to elevate it above the other two. An Erdogenless Istanbul with Madrid's venue plan would be ideal, but currently Tokyo is the one city which I think has the best chance of being successful. And I think that'll be reflected in the vote.

An Istanbul victory would excite me.

A Madrid victory would surprise and intrigue me.

A Tokyo victory would bore me.

Exactly same feeling here!

Istanbul winning i think would be one surprising upset that would please a lot of people here. The others would ensure polarise reactions.

If Istanbul wins, I will have lots of fun reading "loss speeches" just like when Rio won 4 years ago.

I'd be happy with any of those cities. Since before the race began I wanted Istanbul to win, so despite recent events in Turkey I think I'll still be pulling for them. I expect Tokyo to win, which timezone notwithstanding would still be fun: Tokyo is one of the great world city and its a big cultural contrast with Rio. Madrid sounds a bit more boring to me, but I'm confident the Spaniards would host good games in what is also a really nice city.

So ya, I'd prefer Istanbul but I'm okay with any of the three wining.

I'd be happy with any of those cities. Since before the race began I wanted Istanbul to win, so despite recent events in Turkey I think I'll still be pulling for them. I expect Tokyo to win, which timezone notwithstanding would still be fun: Tokyo is one of the great world city and its a big cultural contrast with Rio. Madrid sounds a bit more boring to me, but I'm confident the Spaniards would host good games in what is also a really nice city.

So ya, I'd prefer Istanbul but I'm okay with any of the three wining.

I agree with what you say of Istanbul and Tokyo, but if Madrid is something I can guarantee you it is not boring! :P

About cultures, Tokyo and Istanbul would be nice choices to contrast with Rio.

Both Rio and Madrid are cities of latin countries. It's nice to see these contrasts, like what happened between Athens and Beijing.

^^ But this is not relevant to the vote itself.

About cultures, Tokyo and Istanbul would be nice choices to contrast with Rio.

Both Rio and Madrid are cities of latin countries. It's nice to see these contrasts, like what happened between Athens and Beijing.

^^ But this is not relevant to the vote itself.

lol spanish friends DONT see rio and madrid latin..:)

Tokyo has nuclear problems. I don't think it's a safe place. I think that Madrid is the bet choice.

Seeing as there is such passionate concern for the Japanese nuclear crisis in Spain- why don't the millions of Spaniards who are unemployed volunteer to head over to Fukushima to clean up the waste? You might not get paid, which won't help your own money problems, but the experience will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. Further, Japan will be safe and secure for the 2020 Olympics, thanks to the hard work of millions of unemployed Spaniards.

This means the Spanish won't have to worry so much about doing the world favours by putting on "austerity" Games. So selfless.

Seeing as there is such passionate concern for the Japanese nuclear crisis in Spain- why don't the millions of Spaniards who are unemployed volunteer to head over to Fukushima to clean up the waste? You might not get paid, which won't help your own money problems, but the experience will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. Further, Japan will be safe and secure for the 2020 Olympics, thanks to the hard work of millions of unemployed Spaniards.

This means the Spanish won't have to worry so much about doing the world favours by putting on "austerity" Games. So selfless.

Your comment was very disgusting, whatever, but after reading today that 4 hours in Fukushima means death, i don't know who would like to go there. Fukushima can be 200km+ from Tokio, but they share the same ocean, where 300tons of radioactie water flow every day

Your comment was very disgusting, whatever, but after reading today that 4 hours in Fukushima means death, i don't know who would like to go there. Fukushima can be 200km+ from Tokio, but they share the same ocean, where 300tons of radioactie water flow every day

You are right!! I belive that 300 tons of radioactie water flow every day don't worry to the forum. But when this radioactive water will go to USA if will be a problem.

GamesBids members predicted who they thought would win in 2018 as well, just days before that vote. The result was:

Pyeongchang - 36 votes (64%)

Munich - 15 votes (26%)

Annecy - 5 votes (8%)

As it turned out, the percentages were almost identical to the actual vote. 63 IOC members voted for Pyeongchang, 25 for Munich, and 7 Annecy.

For 2020, the current predictions are:

Tokyo - 20 votes (60%)

Madrid - 10 votes (30%)

Istanbul - 3 votes (9%)

Could this be another GamesBids bullseye prediction, and a Tokyo runaway victory?

Well Rio is Portuguese so...

Last time I checked, Portuguese is a romance language, with the same root of Spanish, Galician, French, Italian: Latin. :)

lol spanish friends DONT see rio and madrid latin.. :)

So, is Madrid what??? :D:rolleyes:

For me the ideal host is a city culturally very different from the previous host. If a city gets to that final vote they should all be good hosts, so its the contrast to the previous that makes for the sparkle . Beijing - London was a great contrast, London - Rio, again a brilliant contrast. For me it has to be Rio - Tokyo, I'd take Istanbul as a close second.

I cannot choose anymore. I thought I wanted Madrid, but I'm warming up to Istanbul and Tokyo again. At this point, I'm roughly 33% for Istanbul, 33% for Madrid, 33% for Tokyo. I think the final presentations will convince me. I'll be happy whoever gets it.

Archived