Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

DC, Philadelphia, Toronto...all within a six hour drive for me. I just hope one of them gets it, I've been living off my Atlanta memories for 17 years now.

Don't wait for the games to come to you:

When my baby

When my baby smiles at me I go to Rio

De Janeiro, my-oh-me-oh

I go wild and then I have to do the Samba

And La Bamba

Now I'm not the kind of person

With a passionate persuasion for dancin'

Or roma-ancin'

But I give in to the rhythm

And my feet follow the beatin' of my hear-eart

I'd like to but my wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for our 25th anniversary in 2017. Doing both might be tough on the finances.

1. Have Colorado's marijuana laws actually been tested and adjudicated in an actual Olympic setting ON COLORADO soil? No.

Have we seen a scenario where an athlete used a legally obtained product, got stripped of his/her medal, fought the ruling, and lost because IOC and WADA and the sport federations can set their own rules? We sure have. At least 3 examples by my count. That's all the precedent we need to be pretty darn sure this won't affect an Olympic bid. You said of the Colorado situation.. "U want take this to a legal expert or professor? I'm willing to make a solid bet with you or anyone."

I said before I'm happy to take that bet.

2. Frankly, Quaker2001, I don't care. I've taken law courses and I know what I speak of...and if u don't believe me...then fine. But you might want to consult some law professor or other counsel. It might be doable in the DC case, except the Org Committee's legal bills and 2 sets of lobbyists (for Virginia and Maryland) will of course double that item on the budget. But hey, what do I care? It's not my $$$.

I don't doubt your knowledge of the law. I'm questioning your application of the law as it relates to Olympic and to sport. You're getting so wrapped up in the very hypothetical chance that somewhere there's something in the laws between Maryland and Virginia that aren't compatible, yet you can't provide a simple example of something that would torpedo a Olympic bid. You're speaking of the generality there COULD be a concern, but I don't know where the basis of that comes from. You have all the fodder your need to start shooting down a Washington bid based on DC alone. This nonsense about the jurisdictions of Maryland and Virginia seems extremely baseless.

Still ready to take that bet anytime you want

Sorry...have lost interest. That was sometime ago. But do watch out for it for us. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV