Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

I know that. Good luck with next weeks elections though.

There's no luck about it. We're all staring down the barrel at a lose-lose situation.

Bernam, I'm not sure what you mean by "American-styled democracy". The Greeks invented democracy and the rest of the world has appropriated and reinterpreted it. Even those countries that pattern themselves after the United States are not subject to the control of the United States. DC is the capital of the U.S. Period. Not the world.

Any argument to the contrary suggests a level of hubris that is CERTAIN to turn off the rest of the world, including the IOC.

DC would never use the whole "Political Capitol" thing during an Olympic bid, yet your failing to see my point. The Greek Democracy's were unicameral, During the Articles of Confederation that's what we had, due to it's weakness it was changed to bicameral and placed in the Constitution. After America become a global power in the late 1800's many nations began adopting the "American Democracy" with small added changes. To say that the US has not had any impact in today's mainly democratic world is bs.

I still think you're way underestimating the influence of other democratic systems like Britain's and France's, and over-estimating the USs.

• Like 1

I mean, really why bother with a problematic bid that's been passed over at least once when there are others that are less cumbersome? And if anything legally strange will happen, it will probably happen during Olympic-time. But be my guest in finding out. If I were to do it, I think I should start charging for my time.

Again, this is sounding an awful lot like your "the Olympics can't go to Colorado because of the pitfalls of legalized marijuana" argument. But whatever. And hey.. if anyone should be charging, it should be me for all the research I have to do on your behalf :D :D

DC would never use the whole "Political Capitol" thing during an Olympic bid, yet your failing to see my point. The Greek Democracy's were unicameral, During the Articles of Confederation that's what we had, due to it's weakness it was changed to bicameral and placed in the Constitution. After America become a global power in the late 1800's many nations began adopting the "American Democracy" with small added changes. To say that the US has not had any impact in today's mainly democratic world is bs.

I think we're getting further away from the point here. The US has had an influence on the democratic world. But I think it's a reach to call DC the political capital of the world. That's a pretty BS argument to me

Rols is right. The US is not the only template for democracy around the world.

You were the one who argued that the IOC would love DC because "it is the political capital of the world." As I've said, I don't see any support at all for that statement.

There's no luck about it. We're all staring down the barrel at a lose-lose situation.

That's what it looks like from the outside. I wish you luck!

Rols is right. The US is not the only template for democracy around the world.

You were the one who argued that the IOC would love DC because "it is the political capital of the world." As I've said, I don't see any support at all for that statement.

I never said the IOC would love them for it I said that "DC is arguably the political capitol of the world" and I still don't see how it is not, but eh agree to disagree.

I never said the IOC would love them for it I said that "DC is arguably the political capitol of the world" and I still don't see how it is not, but eh agree to disagree.

Sounds like you've got an incredibly American-centric worldview. Yikes.

I still think you're way underestimating the influence of other democratic systems like Britain's and France's, and over-estimating the USs.

Not to be rude, but at the time of America's founding France was still a monarchy. Their constitution(s) were based off of the US one. Britain's democratic influence is primarily on her commonwealth nations and on the US (as something to not have) as far as know.

your "the Olympics can't go to Colorado because of the pitfalls of legalized marijuana" argument.

Well, it hasn't been tested/contested in an Olympic framework yet, has it? Doesn't mean it wont.

Well, it hasn't been tested/contested in an Olympic framework yet, has it? Doesn't mean it wont.

Colorado would have a hard time getting the games again after that 1976 stunt and the fact that the nearest Olympic sized mountains are in Steamboat.

Sounds like you've got an incredibly American-centric worldview. Yikes.

No, it may sound like I do, but I think that Europe has had more influence on the world and view the US as a falling nation (despite my recent post). We might as well should have one more games as the US before we become Western Europe.

When I heard DC, I initially thought Denver. The congress is replaced every two years so if they somehow managed to find federal funding, the next congress could overturn it. The US congress is responsible for the district as per the district clause which grants Congress the power "[t]o exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever" over the District. If they can't manage the countries debt, ust imagine the debt they would accumulate on an olympics!

Too much uncertainty, which is why I believe DC is a no go.

Colorado would have a hard time getting the games again after that 1976 stunt and the fact that the nearest Olympic sized mountains are in Steamboat.

No doubt they'll have an uphill battle. baron's point in the past though was that Colorado's new marijuana laws would pose a new logistical hurdle in Colorado's pursuit of an Olympics.

And baron, as we explained earlier, it HAS been tested in an Olympic setting in specific instances. That's why I bring it up.. because making a generalization about DC and the surrounding jurisdictions and trying to dismiss them based on the theory that you could find something wrong across state lines. DC itself is the issue. DC's cooperation with Maryland and Virginia.. not an issue whatsoever and you're not making a very good case to back it up.

It's not only that. /\/\ OK, so DC (which to my mind is a regional bid) gets selected by the USOC and put forward. A few weeks before the Games, whichever admin is on there is faced with an int'l policy decision which will not be very popular. Now, if you tell me that the voters in the IOC won't react to that negatively as opposed to say LA, far from the corridors of US power...and which can always say...Don't look at us ... and that the IOC can sign an agreement if DC is put forward that they will NOT let unpopular policies passed by the Admin or Congress (say, something akin to rUSSRia's anti-gay laws), then you just sold me the Brooklyn Bridge. Where an LA candidacy may lose 3 votes, a DC bid would probably lose a crucial 7 or 8...and there goes your 4 years of work. It's all a matter of perception and a slight shift in the wind will cost a DC candidacy heavily QUICKLY!!

Of course the wise guys will then say...well, it would be reflective of any US bid...then I say, don't let any US city bid and let the USOC just close shop.

And baron, as we explained earlier, it HAS been tested in an Olympic setting in specific instances.

When? When did Colorado have the Olympics??

It's not only that. /\/\ OK, so DC (which to my mind is a regional bid) gets selected by the USOC and put forward. A few weeks before the Games, whichever admin is on there is faced with an int'l policy decision which will not be very popular. Now, if you tell me that the voters in the IOC won't react to that negatively as opposed to say LA, far from the corridors of US power...and which can always say...Don't look at us ... and that the IOC can sign an agreement if DC is put forward that they will NOT let unpopular policies passed by the Admin or Congress (say, something akin to rUSSRia's anti-gay laws), then you just sold me the Brooklyn Bridge. Where an LA candidacy may lose 3 votes, a DC bid would probably lose a crucial 7 or 8...and there goes your 4 years of work. It's all a matter of perception and a slight shift in the wind will cost a DC candidacy heavily QUICKLY!!

Of course the wise guys will then say...well, it would be reflective of any US bid...then I say, don't let any US city bid and let the USOC just close shop.

First while I completely understand the funding and political hurdles DC faces I would argue that LA is far from DC politics. Hollywood/LA is the epicenter for all things liberal. To say they are not connected to politics is total koolaid.

Colorado was awarded the games of 1976- two years later they said never mind.

Colorado was awarded the games of 1976- two years later they said never mind.

I KNOW THAT!! We are talking about something else here...and u're not clued into it. It has NOTHING to do with the failed award of 1976.

But where the liberal forces in LA lean, is NOT official Washington policy. Again, you don't understand the scope of what I am driving at. Grrrrrrrrrr....

It's NOTHING like Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Paris or Tokyo. The IOC won't view it as the "political capital of the world" either. The idea that such a thing could even exist is un-Olympic.

Your "parallels" are truly baffling.

I agree, if DC does bid and does it right, it will portray itself as highly patriotic and a patriotic bid at that. It would certainly not try to portray itself as a political hub. It's a capital city and it will be left at that. Aside from assurances and guarantees from the government, it will be a typical American styled bid without too much focus on it's political institutions.

The IOC will not be silly enough to view DC solely as "the political capital of the world", in fact the presence of numerous embassies in DC could give the bid a more multicultural feel than other bids.

I had to laugh while watching that DC2024 video. It almost seemed like a parody in a mockumentary.

I liked it but it did seem a bit like a civil war mockumentary: CSA The Confederate States of America.

I wouldn't call it a civil war mockumentary. With the music it sounds like a cheesy travel video from the '90s. :P

I had to laugh while watching that DC2024 video. It almost seemed like a parody in a mockumentary.

"Region/ radius/ regional" comes up 4x in the whole narrative. Then there's the mention of "...the DC / Virginia /Maryland..." area. So it is a regional bid passing itself off as a "compact DC bid." :rolleyes:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

We explained this all before and you failed to grasp the concept, so I'm not gonna go over it again. The potential pitfalls of holding an Olympics in Colorado with regard to the marijuana issue have been tested/contested in an Olympic framework in similar circumstances, just not in Colorado. That's why I brought it up in the context of the DC discussion. You've said that Denver could be an iffy choice for an Olympic bid because this could be in issue. So with regard to a Washington Olympic bid, while we agree that the jurisdictional issues with DC itself are a huge hurdle, you can't just say "states have different laws" and make that into an issue for Maryland and Virginia because, according to you, they're "not on the same page." If you could tell me 1 fundamental difference between the 2 that would affect an Olympic bid (as opposed to "maybe it's legal to sell fireworks in 1".. which has nothing to do with the Olympics), then maybe I could take you somewhat seriously on this one. Otherwise, I continue to question your knowledge of laws as it applies to the Olympics.

1. Have Colorado's marijuana laws actually been tested and adjudicated in an actual Olympic setting ON COLORADO soil? No.

2. Frankly, Quaker2001, I don't care. I've taken law courses and I know what I speak of...and if u don't believe me...then fine. But you might want to consult some law professor or other counsel. It might be doable in the DC case, except the Org Committee's legal bills and 2 sets of lobbyists (for Virginia and Maryland) will of course double that item on the budget. But hey, what do I care? It's not my $$$.

I don't think DC gets it.

Logos, cheeseball videos. This is not what's needed right now and it won't be at all persuasive to the USOC. Basically it just reveals how out of touch they are.

DC, Philadelphia, Toronto...all within a six hour drive for me. I just hope one of them gets it, I've been living off my Atlanta memories for 17 years now.