DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

GBModerator

Totally agree with this, yet I view DC as the Eastern LA. Also DC has a better shot then all the other cities (US) with the recent 'Capitol city' bids.

Ok, that is just totally bizarre to me. Washington DC and Los Angeles are nothing alike.

Personally, I'm not jazzed about DC. There are jurisdictional and security issues galore, but even if there weren't it just doesn't capture my imagination.

What's the primary thing we associate with DC? Politicians. Does anyone like politicians? No. Does anyone (foreign or domestic) find the American government to be enchanting and exciting? No.

DC is a bureaucratic quagmire populated by self-important blowhards with minimal moral fiber who talk a lot, accomplish little, frustrate many and seem out of touch with the times.

Why would the Olympic Games go there? I don't see it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a split jurisdiction. It will be spread out between 2 big cities, and then parts of Virginia and Maryland. The IOC wouldn't like to deal with 3 jurisdictions and 2 state houses to get anything passed. Who takes the lead? Who subsumes their authority? That's why this is NOT a feasible bid.

Every bid deals with multiple jurisdictions. Every. Bid. This isn't rocket science.

The Federal govt and the District of Columbia is there for the federal gov't and the discharge of its duties. That does NOT include spending for sports extravaganzas.

Which is why DC recently built a baseball stadium. Which is why the are currently building a major soccer stadium. DC - like every major city in the US - has tons of activity around sports extravaganzas.

>> DC is a bureaucratic quagmire populated by self-important blowhards with minimal moral fiber who talk a lot, accomplish little, frustrate many and seem out of touch with the times.

I'd be willing to bet $5 you can't name the major of DC without looking it up.

1. Every bid deals with multiple jurisdictions. Every. Bid. This isn't rocket science.

2. Which is why DC recently built a baseball stadium. Which is why the are currently building a major soccer stadium. DC - like every major city in the US - has tons of activity around sports extravaganzas.

1. Not really. Salt Lake 2002 all took place in Utah! Vancouver 2010 all happened in BC. But there is a dominant one; and the subjugated ones. The way this bid is being touted is a REGIONAL one. Read between the lines.

2. Aren't those major stadia funded by the leagues...and NOT the taxpayers of DC??

3. I've posted it before. The USOC will not take any wannabee bids that will use public monies seriously. Where will the DC bid $$ come from? Read my previous posts.

Don't be such a smart aleck. U aren't and it doesn't become u.

2. Aren't those major stadia funded by the leagues...and NOT the taxpayers of DC??

Was Nationals Park worth it for DC?

Nationals Park - Cost $701 million to build (plus an additional $82 million in various infrastructure improvements which all came from federal money), $670 million of which was contributed by DC, including more than $500 million in borrowed funds. So the taxpayers of DC are very much paying for this stadium.

1. Not really. Salt Lake 2002 all took place in Utah! Vancouver 2010 all happened in BC. But there is a dominant one; and the subjugated ones. The way this bid is being touted is a REGIONAL one. Read between the lines.

3. I've posted it before. The USOC will not take any wannabee bids that will use public monies seriously. Where will the DC bid $$ come from? Read my previous posts.

Don't be such a smart aleck. U aren't and it doesn't become u.

1. There are different jurisdictions within the sate of Utah. Or within the province of B.C. Considering that the group is called "DC2024" I don't think there is any doubt what the centerpiece of the bid is (unlike say, Reno/Tahoe).

2. No, they aren't funded by the league.

3. The USOC just said how important federal and state guarantees will be for any US bid. DC's money will come from the same places any other US cities funding will come from.

I'm not being a smart alack. You are posting nonsense on topics you know nothing about. Why do you do that? For you to think that pro leagues fund stadiums... it shows a complete lack of understand of how stadiums are funding in the US. Total ignorance. So why post on that subject if you know nothing about it?

Ahh yes, another city comparison. I'm curious mr.berham.. what about DC makes it an Eastern LA? What are the similarities that make Washington DC, of all cities on the East coast, another version of LA?

I'm comparing them at the times when they bid/hosted the games. LA is very much a cultural icon for the US (along with NYC), the same can be said for DC.

Ok, that is just totally bizarre to me. Washington DC and Los Angeles are nothing alike.

Personally, I'm not jazzed about DC. There are jurisdictional and security issues galore, but even if there weren't it just doesn't capture my imagination.

What's the primary thing we associate with DC? Politicians. Does anyone like politicians? No. Does anyone (foreign or domestic) find the American government to be enchanting and exciting? No.

DC is a bureaucratic quagmire populated by self-important blowhards with minimal moral fiber who talk a lot, accomplish little, frustrate many and seem out of touch with the times.

Why would the Olympic Games go there? I don't see it.

Sounds a bit like: Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Paris, Tokyo, Madrid, and just about all other cities that have recently bid. The only difference is that DC is arguably the political capitol of the world.

I'm comparing them at the times when they bid/hosted the games. LA is very much a cultural icon for the US (along with NYC), the same can be said for DC.

Sounds a bit like: Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Paris, Tokyo, Madrid, and just about all other cities that have recently bid. The only difference is that DC is arguably the political capitol of the world.

It's NOTHING like Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Paris or Tokyo. The IOC won't view it as the "political capital of the world" either. The idea that such a thing could even exist is un-Olympic.

Your "parallels" are truly baffling.

Okay, so they're both cultural icons. I get that in the context of this discussion, but it just seems like a baseless statement to essentially say that LA is a cultural icon and DC is a cultural icon, therefore DC is the Eastern LA as if that's the justification for DC being an Olympic city.

1. There are different jurisdictions within the sate of Utah. Or within the province of B.C. Considering that the group is called "DC2024" I don't think there is any doubt what the centerpiece of the bid is (unlike say, Reno/Tahoe).

2. No, they aren't funded by the league.

3. The USOC just said how important federal and state guarantees will be for any US bid. DC's money will come from the same places any other US cities funding will come from.

I'm not being a smart alack. You are posting nonsense on topics you know nothing about. Why do you do that? For you to think that pro leagues fund stadiums... it shows a complete lack of understand of how stadiums are funding in the US. Total ignorance. So why post on that subject if you know nothing about it?

1. Yes, but those are smaller jurisdictions which are all w/in the same state or province. The state or province law TRUMPS the small city laws. Having DC. Virginia and Maryland as the 3 major groupings...and, in our federal system, their laws are NOT all on the same page, is problematic. But if u don't believe me, suit yourself.

2. Then THAT MAKES IT even worse. (And that's why I asked it as a question.) Under a DC bid, unless it is clear that venues and expenditures will NOT be coming from the Federal till, then u're in trouble from the get-go.

3. "Guarantees" are different from actual expenditures. Funds for the bid and if it gets chosen, the actual operating budget, must come from the Committee's own privately generated sources. The "guarantees" per the IOC's formula, kick in when there are over-ages in the home stretch. And even for the last Chicago bid, the Illinois legislature was LOATHE to stretch itself out to the IOC demands. What more a DC bid where the WHOLE federal gov't might be involved...and you will have the Congress sidestepping other work just to referee DC-Olympic funding and spending matters?? As if the bickering and legislative gridlock in Washington isn't enough, and you'll throw in Olympic-stuff yet?? :rolleyes:

Just wait until non-friendly Olympic forces line up and decry the use of Federal monies for a sports extravaganza, and...

But since you know it all, then more power to a DC-Virginia-Maryland bid.

It's NOTHING like Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Paris or Tokyo. The IOC won't view it as the "political capital of the world" either. The idea that such a thing could even exist is un-Olympic.

Your "parallels" are truly baffling.

How is it not? 64% of the world is under American Styled democracy's and our leaders are the most powerful in the free world?

How is it not? 64% of the world is under American Styled democracy's and our leaders are the most powerful in the free world?

When leaders from around the world come to the United States, what city do they meet in? Hint.. it's not Washington DC

1. Yes, but those are smaller jurisdictions which are all w/in the same state or province. The state or province law TRUMPS the small city laws. Having DC. Virginia and Maryland as the 3 major groupings...and, in our federal system, their laws are NOT all on the same page, is problematic.

What laws are we talking about here? How exactly are Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC not all on the same page with each other that makes that aspect of the bid problematic? And I feel obligated to ask again.. how is that different from, say, California and Nevada sharing an Olympics?

Global population: 7.1 billion

US population: 314 million

Washington DC governs 4.45% of the world's population. How can that be in any way construed as "the political capital of the world"?

Craziness!

I don't know if I would characterize them as American Style, unless your talking about the way the governments are set up. Many liberal democracies yes. But American Style may need some qualification. And our leader like to think they're the most powerful in the world, but I don't know how true that is.

When leaders from around the world come to the United States, what city do they meet in? Hint.. it's not Washington DC

What laws are we talking about here? How exactly are Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC not all on the same page with each other that makes that aspect of the bid problematic? And I feel obligated to ask again.. how is that different from, say, California and Nevada sharing an Olympics?

1. That depends on what they're here for. If it's a UN thing then of course it's NYC but most other mundane meetings happen in DC or if you want to stretch it Camp David like the 2012 G8 meeting. Unless it's a big summit then they may chose a city outside like the 2009 G20 being in Pittsburgh.

2. I agree. I don't think the issue will be Maryland, Virginia and DC getting on the same page. The issue will be Congress. Like Baron pointed out It's a federal district and Congress has exclusive jurisdiction. I guarantee there will be political bickering like never seen, because as pointed out before you'd have representatives and senators from different parts of the country with no connection to DC getting involved.

Bernam, I'm not sure what you mean by "American-styled democracy". The Greeks invented democracy and the rest of the world has appropriated and reinterpreted it. Even those countries that pattern themselves after the United States are not subject to the control of the United States. DC is the capital of the U.S. Period. Not the world.

Any argument to the contrary suggests a level of hubris that is CERTAIN to turn off the rest of the world, including the IOC.

So DC is run by reps of everywhere in the country...except DC. That sounds a little odd.

It does sound a little crazy, but it's true. DC only has a single delegate that has very little voting power. They have a certain amount of home rule, but Congress can swoop in at any time and essentially do whatever they want. And they frequently have.

We call our system the Westminster System, not the Beltway system. Our leadership is taken from the ranks of the legislators, and sit in parliament. It's really very, very diferent in style.

#1 - You have THREE jurisdictions instead of two.

#2 - Laws in the 50 states are different from each other as you well know - legal to sell fireworx in one; not in an adjoining state, as an example. It's too elaborate to explain and i don't have the patience to do so...and especially in an area like DC where you have a thousand or two diplomats, etc., etc.

But when the USOC examines those bids, that will come up. I tell ya.

If u don't believe me, that's fine. It doesn't matter; the bid will stumble anyway.

#1 - You have THREE jurisdictions instead of two.

#2 - Laws in the 50 states are different from each other as you well know - legal to sell fireworx in one; not in an adjoining state, as an example. It's too elaborate to explain and i don't have the patience to do so...and especially in an area like DC where you have a thousand or two diplomats, etc., etc.

But when the USOC examines those bids, that will come up. I tell ya.

If u don't believe me, that's fine. It doesn't matter; the bid will stumble anyway.

Okay.. so give me an example of a law that's different from 1 state to the next that could cause an issue. Or is this going to be the Colorado/marijuana issue again? You can't make a generalization about DC/Maryland/Virginia and say it's going to be a problem because you think it might be a problem. You're right, I don't think you're on target there.

However.. I do agree that the other hurdles a DC bid faces (specifically the jurisdictional issues involving authority over Washington) will probably sink it. I don't think it's a non-starter, mostly because I'd like to at least see what they can put together, but if we're going to list the stumbling blocks to a DC bid, the fact that it's in different states is not high on that list.

/\/\ There are thousands of those state-by-state permutations. I am sure u r resourceful enuf to look it up on your own.

Being better at researching these things than you, I probably could :D I'm sure I could probably find something involving California and Nevada if I really wanted to.

That aside.. I still don't get how it torpedoes an Olympic bid. Differences in laws between states do not generally prevent arrangements and agreements between those 2 states from working together. That's why I'm saying I would love to hear just 1 example of what's different between Maryland and Virginia (forget DC, that's an entity unto itself and we agree on the issues that comes with) that would be problematic and of concern for a DC organizing committee.

I mean, really why bother with a problematic bid that's been passed over at least once when there are others that are less cumbersome? And if anything legally strange will happen, it will probably happen during Olympic-time. But be my guest in finding out. If I were to do it, I think I should start charging for my time.

How much will the weather play into the USOC's selection of a host? I've only been to North America during summer and I've always found the East Coast to be stifling compared the cooler breezes of California.

Washington DC is only marginally cooler than Atlanta in Summer...

Archived