DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

GBModerator

Prediction: The IOC/USOC beef has cooled, the United States is due for a Games and that looming Olympics television contract that begins in 2022 is as good a reason as any to bring the Olympics back to the States. If Washington’s bid gets off the ground, it figures to be the best candidate to win the USOC’s support. As for the IOC, its Olympic choices are always unpredictable. An (unexpected) Madrid win in 2020 probably is best-case for an American bid in 2024, but a presumptive Tokyo Games would take Asian cities out of the running in 2024. But it’s all guesswork at this point. For a D.C. bid to come together, it will take bipartisan support, cooperation and a sensible use of funds. What could go wrong?[Ouote]

lol!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of the cities in the Northeast corridor could do that. Los Angeles and Atlanta showed off their part of American history because they haven't really been a fabric of this country since the start. New York, Washington, Philadelphia, and Boston can all lay claim to that, so any of them could effectively tell a story that's about the entire country rather than the region.

Of course, this is a foreigners POV, but not sure I;d agree that the likes of Boston or Philly represent the US as a whole as much as DC does.

Isn't that the reason aliens tend to land their craft on the banks of the Potomac rather than the Charles?

Alienattack-300x202.png

My thoughts on DC..

Any of the cities in the Northeast corridor could do that. Los Angeles and Atlanta showed off their part of American history because they haven't really been a fabric of this country since the start. New York, Washington, Philadelphia, and Boston can all lay claim to that, so any of them could effectively tell a story that's about the entire country rather than the region.

I'm not sure just how much of that Yankee spirit Boston or Philly could convey to the world. To the outside world, Hollywood and the Whitehouse are more American than the Mayflower, Paul Revere or the Liberty Bell. I think the US would be most successful conveying an American Games to the outside world with California, NY or Washington.

Would that have been an issue with a New York bid that also included New Jersey? Would that not have worked because it involved 2 states even though 1 was clearly running the show?

There's no question who would be the lead dog in a Washington DC bid. Considering how Maryland and Virginia have been bickering over DC for more than 2 centuries now, I think they can figure this one out. It's DC's bid.. Maryland and Virginia would just be along for the ride.

Yeah, but I think only 2 minor sports were assigned to NJ. The rest (outside of the usual satellite cities for the football prelims) were all NYC or Long Island. So, as you said, there's NO qualms about who's top banana. Whereas in this DC-Baltimore bid, at this point...and as I see it eventually shaping up, they're spreading

it all over DC - Virginia - Maryland - even Annapolis. So the 2 states and DC will have to share some sort of equal power.

Maybe it's too complicated to explain here, but I don't see it happening. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, this is a foreigners POV, but not sure I;d agree that the likes of Boston or Philly represent the US as a whole as much as DC does.

Isn't that the reason aliens tend to land their craft on the banks of the Potomac rather than the Charles?

I'm not sure just how much of that Yankee spirit Boston or Philly could convey to the world. To the outside world, Hollywood and the Whitehouse are more American than the Mayflower, Paul Revere or the Liberty Bell. I think the US would be most successful conveying an American Games to the outside world with California, NY or Washington.

To an extent. Yes, DC is the capital of this country and is probably more iconic to the rest of the world. But if the argument is that Los Angeles and Atlanta felt like they only represented a certain region of the United States and their contribution to the country's history, I don't think it would be the same issue with a Boston or a Philadelphia.

Not to the totally astute Jennifer Jones! :lol::P

You lost me... :P whoever or whatever she is...

To an extent. Yes, DC is the capital of this country and is probably more iconic to the rest of the world. But if the argument is that Los Angeles and Atlanta felt like they only represented a certain region of the United States and their contribution to the country's history, I don't think it would be the same issue with a Boston or a Philadelphia.

LA was probably the perfect host to represent all of America. Wish I could've experienced that one.

I know what you mean. I hate typing, if you can call it that, on my tablet. I so much prefer my iphone if I'm gonna use something smaller than my laptop.

Edit: looks like a million people beat me to it while I typed away on my slow-ass tablet.

Yeah, but I think only 2 minor sports were assigned to NJ. The rest (outside of the usual satellite cities for the football prelims) were all NYC or Long Island. So, as you said, there's NO qualms about who's top banana. Whereas in this DC-Baltimore bid, at this point...and as I see it eventually shaping up, they're spreading

it all over DC - Virginia - Maryland - even Annapolis. So the 2 states and DC will have to share some sort of equal power.

Maybe it's too complicated to explain here, but I don't see it happening. Maybe I'm wrong.

If Baltimore is involved, that could be an issue. But if it's all Washington DC metro area venues, it won't be a problem. Even if they're using the Comcast Center in College Park, MD and the Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA, those venues can still consider themselves DC area. They're connected to DC public transportation. So even though the Comcast Center is owned by the Maryland Sports Authority (in a similar manner that MetLife Stadium is owned by the NJSEA), they'd probably cede to a DC organizing committee to get involved. In that regard, it's several organizations that would have to get on board, so I think that would be the factor at play rather than merely what state a venue happens to reside here because there's a clear top banana in a DC bid.

Now if states sharing power in a bid is a potential hurdle.. I'll remember that the next time we talk about a certain Winter bid potentially coming from the states of Nevada AND California.

I know what you mean. I hate typing, if you can call it that, on my tablet. I so much prefer my iphone if I'm gonna use something smaller than my laptop.

U haven't typed on ur tablet l8tly. Or else ud be typing like this the way u used 2 n then sum.

LA was probably the perfect host to represent all of America. Wish I could've experienced that one.

That makes 2 of us. At that time and place, they probably were the best equipped to put on a show for America. I don't know I'd say it represents the United States though so much as they're the entertainers of this country. So in that regard, they can take the reigns anytime.

Washington to Baltimore is 40 miles, though. What kind of facilities does Baltimore have & for what kind of likely sports? I'm sure Baltimore would be used for some things since it's a large city so close to DC.

U haven't typed on ur tablet l8tly. Or else ud be typing like this the way u used 2 n then sum.

lmfao - that was a big part of it indeed! :lol: I hate that thing! lol I just mainly use it now to surf things for a quick view. :P

Now if states sharing power in a bid is a potential hurdle.. I'll remember that the next time we talk about a certain Winter bid potentially coming from the states of Nevada AND California.

CA already said they would let Nevada take the lead; and I think Reno will try to stage as many of the snow events on their side of the Lake if they can...but they know that CA will share some, esp. if they will be using the 2 arenas in Sacto. And these are both states. DC is a District which hosts the Federal Gov't so I think are finer jurisdictional points involved.

The projected DC bid is actually 3 states: the District, Maryland and Virginia -- not 2 unlike the possible Reno bid.

CA already said they would let Nevada take the lead; and I think Reno will try to stage as many of the snow events on their side of the Lake if they can...but they know that CA will share some, esp. if they will be using the 2 arenas in Sacto. And these are both states. DC is a District which hosts the Federal Gov't so I think are finer jurisdictional points involved.

I think baron may be onto something here. On the topic of do the politics of Washington DC make an Olympic bid more difficult, here's something to consider..

The federal district of Washington D.C. is, as per the constitution of the United States, under the jurisdiction of the United States congress, a group who only has 1 non-voting member representing Washington DC. So essentially the people who have authority over Washington DC represent every corner of the United States except for DC itself. That's where the problem lies. Like I alluded to earlier, if that's who holds the fate of DC in their hands with regard to an Olympic bid, that's a different scenario than pretty much any city in any country you could throw out there for comparison.

I think baron may be onto something here. On the topic of do the politics of Washington DC make an Olympic bid more difficult, here's something to consider..

The federal district of Washington D.C. is, as per the constitution of the United States, under the jurisdiction of the United States congress, a group who only has 1 non-voting member representing Washington DC. So essentially the people who have authority over Washington DC represent every corner of the United States except for DC itself. That's where the problem lies. Like I alluded to earlier, if that's who holds the fate of DC in their hands with regard to an Olympic bid, that's a different scenario than pretty much any city in any country you could throw out there for comparison.

Which leads me to a question - who funds DC? Does the district collect its own taxes from inhabitants? Does it rely on federal funds allocations? Who ultimately would pick up the tab for a DC games? Who would be the one giving the financial guarantees to the IOC - the President? The mayor of DC?

That makes 2 of us. At that time and place, they probably were the best equipped to put on a show for America. I don't know I'd say it represents the United States though so much as they're the entertainers of this country. So in that regard, they can take the reigns anytime.

Totally agree with this, yet I view DC as the Eastern LA. Also DC has a better shot then all the other cities (US) with the recent 'Capitol city' bids.

Which leads me to a question - who funds DC? Does the district collect its own taxes from inhabitants? Does it rely on federal funds allocations? Who ultimately would pick up the tab for a DC games? Who would be the one giving the financial guarantees to the IOC - the President? The mayor of DC?

Like the rest of the US DC has it's own taxes. If their bid were to be funded federally the IOC would vote for them on the spot, but i have a feeling that Americans will not back the bid. Despite how much I would love to see it America is facing tough times. And I have a hard time thinking that the nation would be okay with federal funding especially for an event that would only benefit the East Coast and more specifically DC.

If their bid were to be funded federally

That's the KEY phrase. It will not be. #1 - the USOC does not want federal monies used for their bids.

#2 - What Top 100 corporations are headquartered in DC to fund such a bid? That's why it's the leaders of Baltimore and Virginia talking becuz that's where the private funding sources are. NYC had Bloomberg and Doctoroff fund out of their own pockets; Chicago was from Aon, the Pritzkers and their friends; LA has the SCCOG; San Francisco's bid was funded from Silicon Valley private sources; Boston will probably be John Hancock, BostonFleet Financail and other moneybags in Beantown; Philly will have Comcast. Atlanta's bid money came from Billy Payne's mortgage; Cousins Property; NationsBank and THEN Coca-Cola.

What is DC's biggest private company? NONE! And if sources in Baltimore and Virginia will fund the bid, why should the DC name take all the glory??

The USOC will take NO public monies for the start-up stages. So, can the DC Chamber of Commerce and other DC private companies collect $50 million just to finance a bid? :rolleyes:

That's the KEY phrase. It will not be. #1 - the USOC does not want federal monies used for their bids.

#2 - What Top 100 corporations are headquartered in DC to fund such a bid? That's why it's the leaders of Baltimore and Virginia talking becuz that's where the private funding sources are. NYC had Bloomberg and Doctoroff fund out of their own pockets; Chicago was from Aon, the Pritzkers and their friends; LA has the SCCOG; San Francisco's bid was funded from Silicon Valley private sources; Boston will probably be John Hancock, Capital One and other moneybags in NE; Philly will have Comcast. Atlanta's bid money came from Billy Payne's mortgage; Cousins Property; NationsBank and THEN Coca-Cola.

What is DC's biggest private company? NONE! And if sources in Baltimore and Virginia will fund the bid, why should the DC name take all the glory??

The USOC will take NO public monies for the start-up stages. So, can the DC Chamber of Commerce and other DC private companies collect $50 million just to finance a bid? :rolleyes:

Would any of those corporations listed above be willing to privately fund the bid to have a, ahem, "closer" relationship with Washington? ;)

Ooh, and think of the local ambassadors! Michael Phelps, Alex Ovechkin, and all the former presidents...

Totally agree with this, yet I view DC as the Eastern LA. Also DC has a better shot then all the other cities (US) with the recent 'Capitol city' bids.

Ahh yes, another city comparison. I'm curious mr.berham.. what about DC makes it an Eastern LA? What are the similarities that make Washington DC, of all cities on the East coast, another version of LA?

Archived