DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

GBModerator

post-1083-0-25865400-1377626770_thumb.jp

DC 2024 Announces Exploratory Committee for Bid to Host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games

Washington, DC – DC 2024, a newly-formed 501c3 organization supported by the political, business and sporting communities in the Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia metropolitan region, issued the following statement from President Bob Sweeney, regarding the exploratory committee’s commitment to submit a bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Paralympics:

“DC 2024 is excited to officially announce our intention to bring the Olympic Games to Washington, D.C.!

With more state-of-the-art sports infrastructure in a 40-mile radius than any other U.S. city, thousands of hotels and lodging options, and a vast and expanding transportation system, the Greater Washington region is one of the best and most qualified in the world to host an event of this magnitude. And, most importantly, we offer all this against America’s most historic backdrop.

We are pursuing the bid with the support of the Greater Washington community. We have spoken with elected officials throughout the region, business leaders and the local sporting world; all have expressed their enthusiasm and support for our efforts. With what our community has to offer, it’s hard not to be excited and supportive of this endeavour.

We will work diligently to ensure the economic impact for the Olympic Games is greater than the expense and are committed to delivering this marquee event in sports to Greater Washington, D.C.

We are confident that the U.S. Olympic Committee – and the world – will be won over by all that our wonderful region has to offer. DC 2024 promises that Greater Washington can provide a magnificent experience during the games and a sustaining legacy for both residents and visitors long after the closing ceremony.”

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city has the infrastructure--3 major airports and a Metro systems that stops near every major attraction and sporting venue. Construction would be limited to the village, main stadium, aquatic center and a number of temporary venues, Existing venues include the Verizon Center, FedEx Field, and university facilities at Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, American, George Mason and the University of Maryland. There are plans for a new DC United soccer Stadium. Nationals Park could be used if baseball were reinstated. There are also venues in Baltimore (40 miles away) that can be utilized. In fact between DC United Stadium, FedEx Field, the University of Maryland football stadium and M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, the entire soccer tournament would not need to be stretched out like most Games, the assumption here being that RFK Stadium will be razed to make way for an Olympic Stadium (which conveniently could become the home of the NFL Redskins since many DC politicos want the team to move back from the suburbs) From this standpoint, the city is an ideal candidate.

The drawbacks. Well, from the IOCs standpoint there was the icy reception they got on Capitol Hill when Congress got its nose out of joint about the Salt Lake scandal. The perception of DC as a crime infested city. Tightwads still steaming over how the city got stuck footing the entire bill for the baseball stadium. Security concerns (as always). Fears that Washington doesn't measure up in the WOW factor vs other potential bidders. Just to name a few.

It's a split jurisdiction. It will be spread out between 2 big cities, and then parts of Virginia and Maryland. The IOC wouldn't like to deal with 3 jurisdictions and 2 state houses to get anything passed. Who takes the lead? Who subsumes their authority? That's why this is NOT a feasible bid.

That's why they do not need to spread out Venues. The only way a DC bid would work is if they made the games compact and the venues that were not in the city were near the borders of the other States. Another thing they need is for the US to back it and make it feel like a National Bid rather than "DC's bid". At this time Washington is not liked too much by US citizens.

That's why they do not need to spread out Venues. The only way a DC bid would work is if they made the games compact and the venues that were not in the city were near the borders of the other States. Another thing they need is for the US to back it and make it feel like a National Bid rather than "DC's bid". At this time Washington is not liked too much by US citizens.

But they are touting venues that are already in place within the THREE jurisdictions. Is it within the realm of possibility to ERECT at least 8 major venues PLUS the Olympic Village w/in DC's 68.25 sq. miles? How will this play out with entire diplomatic neighborhoods blocked off for security? Further, the USOC has a philosophy and charter of NOT seeking Federal handouts (except for the security items). How will a DC bid play vis-a-vis that philosophy? Learn some history. That is why the previous DC-Baltimore bids did NOT even advance to their shortlist because it is FRAUGHT with problems. It is easier to deal with the other cities. And DC is a fetid swamp in the summer anyway.

But they are touting venues that are already in place within the THREE jurisdictions. Is it within the realm of possibility to ERECT at least 8 major venues PLUS the Olympic Village w/in DC's 68.25 sq. miles? How will this play out with entire diplomatic neighborhoods blocked off for security? Further, the USOC has a philosophy and charter of NOT seeking Federal handouts (except for the security items). How will a DC bid play vis-a-vis that philosophy? Learn some history. That is why the previous DC-Baltimore bids did NOT even advance to their shortlist because it is FRAUGHT with problems. It is easier to deal with the other cities. And DC is a fetid swamp in the summer anyway.

I do know my history, and I think DC 2024 has learned from the past. They know that to win their bid has to have a snazzy look, an expensive and compact venue plan, and a realistic plan. I have confidence they can pull it off.

I like the idea. I think Washington DC has the potential to stage a truly iconic Olympics - its urban design alone lends itself well to such an idea. Transport is great, other infrastrcuture like security is already thorough. RDK Stadium is in a location that just screams "Olympics" -- can you imagine the final leg of the Marathon making its way from the Lincoln Memorial, past the Capitol and up through the leafy streets leading to RDK - its iconic. Almost like an American Beijing.

However, as some people have mentioned, there could be organisational issues like jurisdictions - however I dont see why (if well planned) these couldn't be ironed out with agreement of all parties involved. It would be, after all the Organizing Committee who is the communicator between local governments and the IOC itself.

I'm open to the idea, and thus far, more enthusiastic toward this DC proposal than Los Angeles or Dallas. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Right now I can't imagine what they might be considering as far as Virginia, but the vast majority of the competitions could take place within DC with a few in neighboring Prince George's County, MD and perhaps soccer in Baltimore and sailing somewhere on Chesapeake Bay. This of course we do not know until they come up with a proposed venue plan. DC, Maryland, and Virginia have a history of cooperation as Metrorail runs through all three. If they want it badly enough, they will do what they have to do to make it happen.

i don't think it will work for DC2024. the city has too much baggage and too many politicians to secure.

As if there weren't politicians in London, Beijing, Athens or any other capital to host the games.

As if there weren't politicians in London, Beijing, Athens or any other capital to host the games.

This. Spot on to all the naysays of DC that its "too political". I'd say post 9/11 NYC is as much a loaded political icon than DC is. In fact, any American baggage carried by a Washington DC Olympics will be carried by ANY American Olympics. If people are going to feel strong negative feelings toward an American Olympic Games their going to feel the same regardless of it being Miami or Portland.

The Olympics would feel right at home in Washington DC. It has made itself quite comfortable with high politicised urban areas before - London, Beijing and Moscow particularly come to mind here.

The other idea that appeals to me about Washington is that it is the city that, due to its function, represents the ENTIRE country much more impartially than anywhere else. 2002 saw the celebration of the West and mountain culture, 1996 celebrated the Deep South, and 1984 really was a demonstration of Californian 1980's confidence more than anything else. I think Washington is the kind of city that could put its own identity aside and be an Olympics about the nation - similar to what London, Beijing, Athens and Sydney did.

And while I do support an American Olympics in the 2020's - I also hope that it would be the last we will see this side of the century. I can't think of a more appropriate city than Washington to be the last US summer host for possibly 40 years after then.

I like the idea. I think Washington DC has the potential to stage a truly iconic Olympics - its urban design alone lends itself well to such an idea. Transport is great, other infrastrcuture like security is already thorough. RDK Stadium is in a location that just screams "Olympics" -- can you imagine the final leg of the Marathon making its way from the Lincoln Memorial, past the Capitol and up through the leafy streets leading to RDK - its iconic. Almost like an American Beijing.

However, as some people have mentioned, there could be organisational issues like jurisdictions - however I dont see why (if well planned) these couldn't be ironed out with agreement of all parties involved. It would be, after all the Organizing Committee who is the communicator between local governments and the IOC itself.

I'm open to the idea, and thus far, more enthusiastic toward this DC proposal than Los Angeles or Dallas. I'm willing to give it a chance.

I think this is the first time I have agreed with you. I can truly see the games there.

This. Spot on to all the naysays of DC that its "too political". I'd say post 9/11 NYC is as much a loaded political icon than DC is. In fact, any American baggage carried by a Washington DC Olympics will be carried by ANY American Olympics. If people are going to feel strong negative feelings toward an American Olympic Games their going to feel the same regardless of it being Miami or Portland.

The Olympics would feel right at home in Washington DC. It has made itself quite comfortable with high politicised urban areas before - London, Beijing and Moscow particularly come to mind here.

The other idea that appeals to me about Washington is that it is the city that, due to its function, represents the ENTIRE country much more impartially than anywhere else. 2002 saw the celebration of the West and mountain culture, 1996 celebrated the Deep South, and 1984 really was a demonstration of Californian 1980's confidence more than anything else. I think Washington is the kind of city that could put its own identity aside and be an Olympics about the nation - similar to what London, Beijing, Athens and Sydney did.

And while I do support an American Olympics in the 2020's - I also hope that it would be the last we will see this side of the century. I can't think of a more appropriate city than Washington to be the last US summer host for possibly 40 years after then.

Yeah, agree with that too. More than any other city in the US (well, maybe along with NYC), DC I think, at least to the wider world, would symbolise the country as a whole rather than one locality.

In the absence of an NYC or maybe SF, DC excites me more than any of the other cities mooted from the US so far.

I have confidence they can pull it off.

I don't. How do you mix/not mix Federal $$ with private funds that will be needed to stage these Games?? The Federal govt and the District of Columbia is there for the federal gov't and the discharge of its duties. That does NOT include spending for sports extravaganzas. U're just seeing the excitement of another bid -- but you're NOT considering the legalities and intricacies of a tri-state bid. But hey, more power to you if it happens.

This. Spot on to all the naysays of DC that its "too political". I'd say post 9/11 NYC is as much a loaded political icon than DC is. In fact, any American baggage carried by a Washington DC Olympics will be carried by ANY American Olympics. If people are going to feel strong negative feelings toward an American Olympic Games their going to feel the same regardless of it being Miami or Portland.The Olympics would feel right at home in Washington DC. It has made itself quite comfortable with high politicised urban areas before - London, Beijing and Moscow particularly come to mind here.The other idea that appeals to me about Washington is that it is the city that, due to its function, represents the ENTIRE country much more impartially than anywhere else. 2002 saw the celebration of the West and mountain culture, 1996 celebrated the Deep South, and 1984 really was a demonstration of Californian 1980's confidence more than anything else. I think Washington is the kind of city that could put its own identity aside and be an Olympics about the nation - similar to what London, Beijing, Athens and Sydney did. And while I do support an American Olympics in the 2020's - I also hope that it would be the last we will see this side of the century. I can't think of a more appropriate city than Washington to be the last US summer host for possibly 40 years after then.

Never thought about it that way but I could get on board with that.

My thoughts on DC..

Sounds nice in theory, but I don't think the city is going to be as willing to go for it as some here seem to think. The issue with politics is different with Washington as a capital than in other country. Washington is there to represent the country and has the needs of 50 states to balance with their own. As opposed to other cities and countries (think London or Athens) where federal funding is not the same issue as they'd face here. And yes, there's that nagging issue that people don't exactly look at Washington and the folks that run the show there as a trustworthy group of people. That could be a pretty tough sell if the issue of asking for funds comes into play. So yes, the issue of bickering politicians could be a bigger problem for DC than it would be for their foreign counterparts, let alone other competitors on the United States front. And at the end of the day, the problem is that Washington DC is home of the President of the United States. That makes it a permanent political icon in a way no other US city will be.

This is not an impossible endeavor. But it's asking a lot to get everyone they'll need to get on board with it and make it worth for the city (yes, that logic applies to any US city, but I think that could be even more difficult in DC). They've been at this before and haven't fared all that well. Not sure how much more successful they except to be this time around, even without Chicago and more than likely without New York in the mix.

Yeah, agree with that too. More than any other city in the US (well, maybe along with NYC), DC I think, at least to the wider world, would symbolise the country as a whole rather than one locality.

Any of the cities in the Northeast corridor could do that. Los Angeles and Atlanta showed off their part of American history because they haven't really been a fabric of this country since the start. New York, Washington, Philadelphia, and Boston can all lay claim to that, so any of them could effectively tell a story that's about the entire country rather than the region.

I don't. How do you mix/not mix Federal $$ with private funds that will be needed to stage these Games?? The Federal govt and the District of Columbia is there for the federal gov't and the discharge of its duties. That does NOT include spending for sports extravaganzas. U're just seeing the excitement of another bid -- but you're NOT considering the legalities and intricacies of a tri-state bid. But hey, more power to you if it happens.

Would that have been an issue with a New York bid that also included New Jersey? Would that not have worked because it involved 2 states even though 1 was clearly running the show?

There's no question who would be the lead dog in a Washington DC bid. Considering how Maryland and Virginia have been bickering over DC for more than 2 centuries now, I think they can figure this one out. It's DC's bid.. Maryland and Virginia would just be along for the ride.

And it seems some in the DC media have already taken note of the story...

Economists: It’s a terrible idea for D.C. to host the 2024 Olympics

D.C. 2024 Olympics bid has more dreams than details

Having the Olympics in Washington D.C. would be terrible, wonderful

Archived