Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor

GBModerator

Well, that's the problem of having bias: you can not think larger.

Let me help you, whereas possible:

- Madrid is a mix of cultures, including Iberian, Latinamerican, African and Eastern European people. Much more Spanish than Barcelona, which featured wonderful, mediterranean games, that won't be the same in Madrid because it was a lot of Spanish culture not shown there.

- Madrid is the fourth largest urban area in the European Union and organized all kinds of world-class sports events, always with a very high level of security. The only big capital city that has not hosted the Olympics before. The issue about its low budget have been explained by the NOC: it just included the budget of the municipality of Madrid and not the State one, including police & army. It was a mistake and was rapidly solved.

- Madrid is the European city with the most extensive, safe nightlife, which will provide very fun moments for all attendants, including athletes. Anyone that has been in Madrid during summertime knows what I'm talking about. This is good for the Olympic movement.

- Spanish-speaking Games are a must for the third largest world language. This is good for the Olympic movement too.

- In the global economic situation we're moving in -and I'm talking about the world, not Spain- a bid that proposes a low cost inversion can be seen as compelling if at a low cost, wonderful games can be delivered. Imagine how the budget for the Olympic ceremonies can be increased if the inversion needed for infrastructures are much lower. This is good for the Olympic movement itself and not for the city.

- Madrid is the city of the art, with the Prado, the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia museum leading its attractives. But anyway, it still is one of the main European capitals with the lowest tourist records. A global projection like this will boost its possibilities for becoming a hot spot on the map for the citybreakers and will have this way the chance to show to people like you all its wonders, that are much wider & diverse than you would imagine.

This kind of conversation would be nice to have sharing a beer in Plaza Mayor in Madrid. You would understand me better that I can do with my poor English.

Any avid supporter from any of the other bid cities I'm sure can come up with a summary like this. So sorry, I still don't see how any of this is "good for the Olympic Movement". A lot of that just sounds like grasping at straws, really.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read many of you pointing out that Barcelona 92 is bad for Madrid 2020, as Spain hosted the Games 21 years ago, but I think that Madrid couldn't have a better argument, that the one of BCN, Spain delivered one of the best games of modern olympic history.

But Barcelona spent over $12 Billion (in todays Olympic dollars) to deliver one of those best Games. Madrid this time wants to do it on the cheap, though.

And what did people think, when they heard 'The games go to Barcelona?, or whatever, i can imagine you saying 'Barcelona?? whats that?' ' Barcelona?? Bahh those will be boring shitty games' 'Why did they give them to BCN if Paris was there?? ITS A Catastrophy for the Olympic MOvement''!!!!

Because your very own JAS at the time was IOC president, & Barcelona was his HOMETOWN & munipulated the Winter & Summer voting session so Albertville could get winter 1992 & handicap Paris so Barcelona could get summer 1992. That's why! :rolleyes:

If BCN games were incredible, i'm sure Madrid's will be awsome.

Not unless they plan to inflate the low-ball budget. Which I'm sure it would anyway, then there goes the disingenuous "fiscally responsible" Games plan.

p.s. I think it's great that Inside The Games is at least reporting relevant parts of the storey like Tokyo 2020's "reasurance letters" to each IOC members.

Yes. I have to say that GB is not really the best source for Olympic news. Most of the stories are delayed in their publication. Headlines are sometimes misleading. Some stories never appear.

South Korea bans fisheries imports from Fukushima area-BCC

South Korea has banned all fisheries imports from eight Japanese prefectures, amid concern over leaks of radioactive water from the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant. The ban, an expansion of existing restrictions, takes effect on Monday.

"The measures are due to the sharp increase in concern from the public about the flow of hundreds of tonnes of contaminated water into the ocean at the site of the Fukushima nuclear accident in Japan," spokesman for the South Korean prime minister's office Shin Joong-don said.

The government felt it was "unclear" how the incident would develop and that information provided by the Japanese government was "not enough to predict future developments".

I posted that cuz I saw it yesterday then and then the story got wide coverage today.

There also started to see stories a couple days ago (weird how reporting seemed delayed???) of a 6.8 mag quake that shock Tokyo a couple days ago (center 300 miles off shore I think I read), I'm not worried about quakes like so many but when your country is dealing with the worlds biggest nuke disaster that is escalating it's concerning, any shaker can cause unexpected additional leaks/hazard/spills/damage at Fukushims. The government said, "no problems resulted from this quake at the plant".

The water leaks into the Pacific seem to be mainly from the makeshift tanks they built to hold the radioactive water; they bolted them together with NO WELDS!!! There are hundreds of them on the site, what a bunch of idiots.... seriously....no welds???

Quake jolts southern Japan, felt in Tokyo-Reuters

I still feel a win for Tokyo will be a good thing so the world pays attention to the disaster and insists on more action faster to avoid additional danger. Japan has neglected this thing far too long and mismanaged the entire affair. They need to spend billions more to fix it now.

But the truth is, all three 2020 "are master manipulators" & all three are trying to deflect their weaknesses in order to host the 2020 Olympic Games. You've even said yourself that you really don't wanna see Rogge shake Erdogan's hand if Istanbul were to win.

While this is a serious issue, I can't help but think that this is becoming nothing but a smear campaign now in order to torpedo Tokyo's 2020 bid. Fact of the matter is though, all three have big skeletons in the closet. But yet one of them is going to win. Damn Rome.

*all three 2020 bidders..

Fukushima tank leak may have mixed with groundwater: TEPCO

The Japanese are master manipulators - do we really want a country that continues to deflect questions about Fukushima and radiation - the most serious nuclear crisis in 27 years - and pretends like it doesn't exist - to host the 2020 Summer Olympic Games?

I realize you are a fake account (actualy thought it was Rob H for a second and I was like "oh he's gonna get so much grief for this!") but this comment on the article you posted is what I'm really worried about.

Comment from Japan Today article:

How about the "possibility " of groundwater being contaminated by the 3 melted radioactive blobs slowly sinking through the ground.. Now that’s a scary thought ..luckily Tepco can not "confirm " that is happening so, out of sight , out of mind for as long as the charade can be maintained.

These rabid Spanish supporters are actually making me a supporter of BOTH Istanbul and Tokyo.

Between them, they are the best bid (Tokyo) and the best city. (Istanbul)

This vicious attack on Tokyo smacks of desperation. If its a cultural thing, hopefully it shows in the Madrid bid team and turns voters off.

The Spanish played dirty to get 1992 (as lovely as it was) and they are doing it again.

Wow how pathetic guys. I really want Tokyo to win just to rub it in your faces.

I think I agree. Then again, I'd also like Tokyo to win in order to give Japan another incentive to override Tepco's commercial considerations and spend a few billion dollars on a proper solution to what is undeniably a significant mess.

drip, drip, drip...

TEPCO finds new spot of leaked toxic water-China.org

-Runner of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), said Monday it detected a new site with leaked toxic water in the complex, immediately after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the issue is under control.

Fukushima Watch: A New Groundwater Problem-Wall Street Journal/Japan

-Radioactive-contamination worries at the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant didn't stop Tokyo from being chosen as the host of the 2020 Olympics, as many had feared. But even as Tokyo celebrates, the worries at Fukushima continue.

-The new evidence: particles giving off beta radiation are showing up in a well newly dug to track radioactive material below the tank area, leading plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. to say for the first time on Sept. 5 that the leak may have tainted groundwater.

Just wondering if you intend on providing these useful public interest updates right up until 2020?

Given that some of us may want to attend the 2020 Games in Tokyo, it would be a great shame if Paul stopped now. One day he might report something which genuinely could have serious effects at that distance from Fukushima.

Steam Spotted at Fukushima Nuclear Reactor-TIME

Water vapor is once again emanating from a reactor at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, the site operator said Friday.

More than two-and-a-half years after the plant’s core melted down in the wake of the devastating March 11, 2011, tsunami, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) says steam has been spotted rising from a puddle sitting atop the reactor.

TEPCO insists the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant remains stable, with nearby sensors showing no increase in levels of radiation. However, scientists have not yet explained why steam would started appearing intermittently since July.

Fukushima 'not under control' warns TEPCO official-Fox

The Japanese government and TEPCO were scrambling to reassure people Friday that they have a lid on Fukushima after a senior utility executive said the nuclear plant was "not under control".

The remarks by Kazuhiko Yamashita, who holds the executive-level title of "fellow" at Tokyo Electric Power, seem to flatly contradict assurances Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gave Olympic chiefs a week earlier.

Archived