Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor

GBModerator

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/1015841-tokyo-2020-sends-fukushima-letter-to-ioc-members

Tokyo 2020 sends Fukushima letter to IOC members

If Fukushima was not going to be a problem for Tokyo, as the members of their team said, why do they need to send a letter to the IOC explaining it?

When i hear Tokios bid team with 'fukushima won't afect our bid', i can't forget when Istanbul's team said the same obut the protests.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious if the Japanese government felt pressure to make their freeze wall announcement this week before the IOC vote? According to this article from MIT they have not consulted with the foremost experts on this technology. Good article from MIT explains the process.

How the Fukushima Ice Barrier Will Block Radioactive Groundwater-MIT

Two weeks ago, a top official at Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) signaled that the utility behind the Fukushima disaster would seek international assistance with the Fukushima water contamination crisis. But experts at U.S.-based firms and national labs behind the world’s largest freeze-wall systems—and the only one proven in containing nuclear contamination—have not been contacted by either Tepco or its contractor, Japanese engineering and construction firm Kajima Corp.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2020/1015841-tokyo-2020-sends-fukushima-letter-to-ioc-members

Tokyo 2020 sends Fukushima letter to IOC members

If Fukushima was not going to be a problem for Tokyo, as the members of their team said, why do they need to send a letter to the IOC explaining it?

When i hear Tokios bid team with 'fukushima won't afect our bid', i can't forget when Istanbul's team said the same obut the protests.

Of course they are worried, but the disaster may actually distract from their other “lack of message” problem. I’m sure Istanbul and Madrid have communicated reassurances about various issues, it’s just this one is so unique and is escalating as the vote approaches.

It’s also “not so reassuring” to be reassured by the government that has been reassuring us for 3 year about Fukushima. So now days before the 2020 vote they are getting tough on TEPCO about it’s incompetence…great timing.

Probably because every IOC member has had their email inboxes spammed the past weeks as well by the likes of JeanFinel and his ilk telling them how Japan is going to be a depopulated nuclear wasteland any day now. I'm sure we're not the only ones to have been having this campaign inflected on them (all the other Olympic forums have as well).

The trouble with this whole issue, and the scaremongering and hysteria being made about it (and while I'm sure some of it is sincere concern, I'm also sure a lot's being generated opportunistically), is that I fear it's really put them on the back foot at the worst time. They should be coming into BA now with a positive image and vibe to project, but instead they're being forced to defend themselves and the media focus is on that defensive posture they're having to take. It's a distraction they sure didn't need and which is stopping them getting any other messages out.

I fear this is slipping away from them, and as a sympathiser to their bid, I'm a bit angry at the mudslinging, so much of which has been so incredibly sensationalised and exaggerated, that's been happening.

But interestingly, at least on the online sphere, it doesn't really appear to be much negative mudsledging from the Istanbul camp. Maybe Turks are more like the Japanese and keep to themselves online - but at least on this website and others - it consistently appears to be the Spanish supporters who are character assassinating the other two bids - particularly Tokyo.

This is why I've lost my temper on here a few times in the last week with a few of the Madrid supporters. So much negativity and dirty play.

I didn't pay as much attention to the 2012 and 2016 races - was it a similar situation then?

but at least on this website and others - it consistently appears to be the Spanish supporters who are character assassinating the other two bids - particularly Tokyo.

This is why I've lost my temper on here a few times in the last week with a few of the Madrid supporters. So much negativity and dirty play.

I didn't pay as much attention to the 2012 and 2016 races - was it a similar situation then?

Yet the Spanish are the ones that have the audacity to accuse anyone of "hating & attacking" on Madrid & Spain when anyone points out any criticism. Such total hypocrisy on their part.

IIRC, there was some similar actions by some of them, but for this race they're definitely more insufferable & obnoxious to the point that I'm just totally disgusted with all of them & completely turned off by their bid.

*by some of them back for the 2012 & 2016 races..

Yeah, the Turks and Turkish supporters here deserve a pat on the back. They've been very sportsmanlike. Even when they were in the midst of their protests, they've never got nastily defensive.

Have to admit though, there were a couple of b!tchy ones back in 2001 for 2008 when the majority viewed that those Games were the Chinese to lose.

I imagine a Chinese bid would attract some colourful characters - if their online behaviour at the time of the Beijing Olympics was anything to go by. You couldn't even make so much as a passing comment about the Beijing Olympics without it being ripped to shreds.

But with China that is to be expected as the Olympics helped garner a sort of hyper nationalism that seems to have subsided somewhat now that they're boom is ending.

Very surprised by the Spanish - and their brash display of jingoism.

I'm wondering if it is the one deranged person - or just a Madrid thing? The Madrid supporters seem to be very aggressive in their support, its very unpleasant.

This is said by the one who refered to Spain as 'that ridiculous european country', is that a typical behaviour in Sidney?

This is said by the one who refered to Spain as 'that ridiculous european country', is that a typical behaviour in Sidney?

It's spelt Sydney. You know, that irrelevant place somewhere else that hosted the Olympics 13 years ago...

I referred to Spain as a 'ridiculous European country', in response to increasing feral antics by Madrid supporters on these boards over the past few weeks. My point stands. It is ridiculous of Spain to consider itself the best option for the 2020 Olympic Games given its economic circumstances. No fuzzy "downsizing" rhetoric is going to change that. Simple fact: Madrid 2020 is only promoting the idea of a diluted Olympics because it can't do anything else.

Again - why should the Olympic Movement give its product, which happens only every four years, to a city that is only willing to go halfway. I would be more sympathetic to this idea if it were being presented by Durban or Istanbul or Delhi - cities immersing the Olympics in a region/culture that it had not been before. But to deliver the event under such tight and unreasonable projections, in a country that hosted only in 1992, is delusional.

If Madrid wins this weekend, it will be a truly bleak and depressing situation. It is unbearably boring.

It's spelt Sydney. You know, that irrelevant place somewhere else that hosted the Olympics 13 years ago...

I referred to Spain as a 'ridiculous European country', in response to increasing feral antics by Madrid supporters on these boards over the past few weeks. My point stands. It is ridiculous of Spain to consider itself the best option for the 2020 Olympic Games given its economic circumstances. No fuzzy "downsizing" rhetoric is going to change that. Simple fact: Madrid 2020 is only promoting the idea of a diluted Olympics because it can't do anything else.

Again - why should the Olympic Movement give its product, which happens only every four years, to a city that is only willing to go halfway. I would be more sympathetic to this idea if it were being presented by Durban or Istanbul or Delhi - cities immersing the Olympics in a region/culture that it had not been before. But to deliver the event under such tight and unreasonable projections, in a country that hosted only in 1992, is delusional.

If Madrid wins this weekend, it will be a truly bleak and depressing situation. It is unbearably boring.

It's Sidney in Spanish, i can confuse idioms, whenever you want we can discuss in Spanish, i'm sure it would be easier for me.

I agree with you, Madrid does not sound as good as other big cities, like Durban, but this is a race of 3, and neither Durban nor Delhi are here, it's oponentes are Tokyo ( OHHHH yeah very exiciting, irony,) and Istanbul ( I hope it wins if Madrid doesn't).

I read many of you pointing out that Barcelona 92 is bad for Madrid 2020, as Spain hosted the Games 21 years ago, but I think that Madrid couldn't have a better argument, that the one of BCN, Spain delivered one of the best games of modern olympic history. And what did people think, when they heard 'The games go to Barcelona?, or whatever, i can imagine you saying 'Barcelona?? whats that?' ' Barcelona?? Bahh those will be boring shitty games' 'Why did they give them to BCN if Paris was there?? ITS A Catastrophy for the Olympic MOvement''!!!!

If BCN games were incredible, i'm sure Madrid's will be awsome.

Runningrings, you have persistently shown a deep, worrying unknowledgement about Spain and its real situation. Nobody cares about your personal opinion about the country, as nobody cares about mine. The fact is that you have been unnecessarily rude & biased just because you don't want Madrid to win. And at least you could accept that Madrid would actually deliver wonderful games, just the same way Tokyo & Istanbul would do.

It's Sidney in Spanish, i can confuse idioms, whenever you want we can discuss in Spanish, i'm sure it would be easier for me.

I agree with you, Madrid does not sound as good as other big cities, like Durban, but this is a race of 3, and neither Durban nor Delhi are here, it's oponentes are Tokyo ( OHHHH yeah very exiciting, irony,) and Istanbul ( I hope it wins if Madrid doesn't).

I read many of you pointing out that Barcelona 92 is bad for Madrid 2020, as Spain hosted the Games 21 years ago, but I think that Madrid couldn't have a better argument, that the one of BCN, Spain delivered one of the best games of modern olympic history. And what did people think, when they heard 'The games go to Barcelona?, or whatever, i can imagine you saying 'Barcelona?? whats that?' ' Barcelona?? Bahh those will be boring shitty games' 'Why did they give them to BCN if Paris was there?? ITS A Catastrophy for the Olympic MOvement''!!!!

uyf every time a spanish write a reason for madrid, im getting upset and upset.... guys these r not reasons. even tokyo has a reason. they faced a terrible earthquake and and need to rise up japanese with games. so whats madrids?

to deliver a games awesome? thats IOC problem not madrids reason...?to recover economy? how you gonna do it with %80 already built everything? and will it lower your % 30 unemployement... just give me a logical reason and i say yes....

no one under estimating madrid, a cultural hub and 1 of de best cities in the world... but why you want games 2020....i cant understand it still

While you raise a valid point, that the reality is there are three viable cities in this race - Madrid one of them - I still don't see Barcelona 1992 as a necessarily positive thing for Madrid. It's not the magic ingredient.

Remember, Atlanta 1996 was won off the back of the success of Los Angeles 1984. Just because they were both hosted by the same countries, they were markedly different Olympics in different contexts. I expect no less a contrast between Barcelona 1992 and Madrid 2020.

Runningrings, you have persistently shown a deep, worrying unknowledgement about Spain and its real situation. Nobody cares about your personal opinion about the country, as nobody cares about mine. The fact is that you have been unnecessarily rude & biased just because you don't want Madrid to win. And at least you could accept that Madrid would actually deliver wonderful games, just the same way Tokyo & Istanbul would do.

What am I not acknowledging? Madrid is proposing a security plan worth BILLIONS less than the other cities.

The bid plan doesn't come from a place of sustainability - it is necessity.

My attitude toward Madrid has largely been reactionary to much of the negative rhetoric I've seen on here over the past few months. I've had enough. I just can't rationalise any real, good reason for the Olympics to go there.

If you want reliability and some seriously brilliant organisation of the Games in a fast paced, iconic global city- give it to Tokyo.

If you want an iconic Olympic Games, hosted by an up-and-coming nation with a growing economy in a culture the Olympics has never been married with before- give it to Istanbul.

If you want a watered down Olympic Games, in a country that hosted in 1992, in its beautiful capital city - then go Madrid.

And thats it there, for me.

Well, that's the problem of having bias: you can not think larger.

Let me help you, whereas possible:

- Madrid is a mix of cultures, including Iberian, Latinamerican, African and Eastern European people. Much more Spanish than Barcelona, which featured wonderful, mediterranean games, that won't be the same in Madrid because it was a lot of Spanish culture not shown there.

- Madrid is the fourth largest urban area in the European Union and organized all kinds of world-class sports events, always with a very high level of security. The only big capital city that has not hosted the Olympics before. The issue about its low budget have been explained by the NOC: it just included the budget of the municipality of Madrid and not the State one, including police & army. It was a mistake and was rapidly solved.

- Madrid is the European city with the most extensive, safe nightlife, which will provide very fun moments for all attendants, including athletes. Anyone that has been in Madrid during summertime knows what I'm talking about. This is good for the Olympic movement.

- Spanish-speaking Games are a must for the third largest world language. This is good for the Olympic movement too.

- In the global economic situation we're moving in -and I'm talking about the world, not Spain- a bid that proposes a low cost inversion can be seen as compelling if at a low cost, wonderful games can be delivered. Imagine how the budget for the Olympic ceremonies can be increased if the inversion needed for infrastructures are much lower. This is good for the Olympic movement itself and not for the city.

- Madrid is the city of the art, with the Prado, the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia museum leading its attractives. But anyway, it still is one of the main European capitals with the lowest tourist records. A global projection like this will boost its possibilities for becoming a hot spot on the map for the citybreakers and will have this way the chance to show to people like you all its wonders, that are much wider & diverse than you would imagine.

This kind of conversation would be nice to have sharing a beer in Plaza Mayor in Madrid. You would understand me better that I can do with my poor English.

Barcelona fue justo hace 21 años y las FINA campeonatos solamente un mes pasado. Entonces, MUY recientemente -- como ayer no mas. Las Olympiadas se viajen...a otros lugares...si no, van se calcifican!!

(Translation: Barcelona was only 21 years ago & the FINAs in the same city was only a month ago. Therefore MOST recently!! The Olympics have to move aournd to other sites, otherwise, they will calcify.)

Besides, Barcelona wants 2022 also!! :lol: :lol:

Barcelona fue justo hace 21 años y las FINA campeonatos solamente un mes pasado. Entonces, MUY recientemente -- como ayer no mas. Las Olympiadas se viajen...a otros lugares...si no, van se calcifican!!

(Translation: Barcelona was only 21 years ago & the FINAs in the same city was only a month ago. Therefore MOST recently!! The Olympics have to move aournd to other sites, otherwise, they will calcify.)

Besides, Barcelona wants 2022 also!! :lol: :lol:

jajajajjaja :D:lol::D

That seems mor Mexican ttat Spanish!! 'como ayer no mas' it's a typical southamerican expression

However 'Madrid it's not Barcelona' 'Madrid no es Barcelona'

jajajajjaja :D:lol::D

That seems mor Mexican ttat Spanish!! 'como ayer no mas' it's a typical southamerican expression

However 'Madrid it's not Barcelona' 'Madrid no es Barcelona'

So what? Mexico is actually the LARGEST Spanish-speaking country in the world and had THEIR own Olympics 45 years ago!! But Madrid & Barcelona belong to the same country and the country only gets one shot!! :P

Archived