Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor

GBModerator

Never took that one seriously. Always knew he was a troll (or a bot.)

Funny, I'll share a "bot" experience w/ you guys. I'm helping my friend sell her husband's (who had passed away some 2.5 years ago) handicapped-ready van (and of course, she also promised me a seller's commission). Anyway, we've tried AutoTraders.com (a paid site and supposedly better managed than Craigslist.) So we put the ad in on Thursday. And then for 3 straight days in a row, I get texts saying: Is the van still availalbe? Pls email me at _______. I do so; and then the next reply is: Is there a spare key? Is there a spare tire? etc., etc. Really weird questions... After 3 of those in a row, it appears that it's either the m.o.. of scammers or scam-bots are working. So maybe the anti-Tokyo Fukushima chorus here is really a band of bots!!

I'm just amazed at the dedication of these VIPs to spam Olympic bid fan sites and forums

:rolleyes: .

Oh, I see the "Governor" has had his GB membership suspended now too!

<_<

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo agree with you, Darcy! Heaven forbid if anyone critiques the Spanish bid on here, all hell breaks loose. But it's just a-okay for fricken paul to constantly "attack" Tokyo with his hyperbole, & those same hypocritical people don't say a damn word about it. Double standards to say the fricken least! I'm so fricken over it already that I really, really do want to see Tokyo win now, so I can see paul just RADIATE in his "disgust".

Just like no-one did more than Tulsa-nature to build my sympathy for PyeongChang 2018, I have to say ... these hysterical radiation spammers are now tipping me over to really, really want Tokyo to win now.

I don't see what's so wrong with Paul posting his thoughts. I don't know enough about the radiation leaks and its potential after-effects (those graphs and descriptions are too technical for me), but Paul's made clear why he has a problem with it. He's from southern California, and enjoying the ocean is a big part of their lifestyle and identity. I think Athensfan had that same concern. They have the right to be sensitive.

It's one thing to be sensitive, but it's quite another to be in a hysteric, hyperbole mode, & just exaggerate which clearly is what he's doing. Like Rols & Baron pointed out as well, if it's such a big problem, why haven't governments & other agencies issued warnings about it. Of course this is nothing to just sweep under the rug & it needs to be taken care of, but he makes it sound like they're just sitting idle about it. But if we really wanna be fair, why not also incessantly dig up the dirt on the other bids. Particularly the one in economic shambles. An economic collapse could be just as detrimental as a radioactive one.

Yet supposedly, when it effects the Southern California coastline, that very same person would be all over a "radioactive" San Diego 2024 Games! :P

even more stupid.

Just like all of your boombastic posts.

Why don't you explain to us all how as you say "An economic collapse could be just as detrimental as a radioactive one."?

Why don't you explain how it isn't, since you're obviously such the "expert" here. :rolleyes:

I'm not talking about Spain.....you always are criticizing Spain while responding to posts about the nuclear disaster in Japan (old school GB flame-war style). I'm not really connecting or comparing Spain/Japan in my posts, I'm not trying to make Tokyo 2020 look bad, it just happens to be bidding while this crisis is escalating in the news.

...can you explain your smart remark?

You said: "An economic collapse could be just as detrimental as a radioactive one."

I'm not trying to be rude to you but I'm not sure you understand what may actually be happening at Fukushima, it's a bit crazy over there at the moment, and yes we are concerned on this side of the Pacific, have been since the reactors melted down after exploding.

I know that you're not talking about Spain, & that's the whole point. Look, ALL three 2020 bids have their big downfall. But guess what, one of these three is gonna win on Saturday. And yes, that includes Tokyo, too. And again, if this is such a grave issue, why aren't more governments speaking out about it. I just can't imagine that the Japanese government & all respective agencies are just sitting on their a$s about it. Sorry, but your constant postings about it don't seem to be the most objective on the issue. It's too jeanfinel "trolling-style" to be taken too seriously.

I know that you're not talking about Spain, & that's the whole point. Look, ALL three 2020 bids have their big downfall. But guess what, one of these three is gonna win on Saturday. And yes, that includes Tokyo, too. And again, if this is such a grave issue, why aren't more governments speaking out about it. I just can't imagine that the Japanese government & all respective agencies are just sitting on their a$s about it. Sorry, but your constant postings about it don't seem to be the most objective on the issue. It's too jeanfinel "trolling-style" to be taken too seriously.

I think you are right that I've posted too many times, and have damaged the message.....I'm not some fake newbie freak trying to harm Tokyo, but this is serious biz. I think the reactors that melted down have breached the containment vessel, that’s China Syndrome folks. I think governments may not be speaking out because they are freaking out that there's not much one can do and the Japanese government has been trying to save face. We'll have to see what happens I guess, the current unexplainable spikes in radiation levels are concerning as they could indicate something happening underground. If Tokyo wins it's bid this will bring more attention to Fukushima and that's not a bad thing.

Here are my thoughts about Fukushima:

I believe the disaster is far from over and there is a possibility it will get much worse before it gets better.

I think it is very unlikely that radiation levels in Tokyo in 2020 will create problems for the Olympic Games.

HOWEVER, if Fukushima turns into a much bigger problem that contaminates much of the Pacific and turns into a major crisis, that will create a very sour note for Tokyo Olympics. I do believe it is possible that this could turn into one of the most ecologically destructive disasters in history, but none of us has a crystal ball. I hope it will not play out that way. If it does, I would imagine that it would be very difficult to create a warm, celebratory atmosphere in Japan.

Just for balance, disaster can strike anywhere and it is also possible that Istanbul or Madrid might seem less desirable by the time 2020 rolls around.

Plagiarism (of the name of one our most respected members).

But you left out the significant part of today's announcements:

Japan to freeze ground to cut Fukushima radioactive leaks

THE Japanese government has unveiled a $470 million plan to stem radioactive water leaks at Fukushima, including freezing the ground underneath the stricken nuclear plant.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a news conference that officials had a project to pipe refrigerant through buried pipes and to decontaminate toxic water.

"We estimate some 47 billion yen will be needed for the project," he said.

Groundwater from nearby hillsides has been flowing under the plant and mixing with polluted water that has already seeped into the soil. This groundwater has then made its way into the Pacific, taking its mildly radioactive load with it.

Scientists want to circulate a special refrigerant through pipes in the soil to create a "frozen wall" that will stem the inflow of groundwater.

The government will also finance a project to upgrade nuclear decontamination systems at Fukushima.

Fukushima operator Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) has long struggled to deal with the huge amounts of water used to cool reactors that went into meltdown after being struck by an earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

AFP/The Australian

Toxic Leaks At Fukushima Reach Lethal Levels of Radioactivity-FORBES

Japans Nuclear regulatory agency has reported a new 20% spike in radiation reading at the plant to as high as 2200 millisieverts, powerful enough to kill withing hours. The new readings marked a significant escalation in the severity of the ongoing radioactive leak crisis.

Archived