Radioactive Leak Won't Affect Tokyo 2020 - Tokyo Governor

GBModerator

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can just see Godzie going to Olympia and accepting that first breath of fire from the High Priestess!!

The priestesses will get a new look as well:

tokyo-game-show-cosplay-7.jpg

And you thought the OC would be boring. At least they can make better use of a flooded infield than Athens did!

SeaMonsterGodzilla2.jpg

And as for aerial effects. Well, we'll have Mothra of course!

mothra_godzilla_500px.jpg

C'mon, honestly, what's the worst that can happen? We just have an obvious contender for the final cauldron lighter.

godzilla.jpg

Actually, I think that would be AWESOME! An animatronic Godzilla lighting the cauldron It would be Tokyo's version of the skydiving Queen Bess. Totally unexpected for the oh-so-serious Japanese. And so much fun! I actually think it's brilliant.

Actually, I think that would be AWESOME! An animatronic Godzilla lighting the cauldron It would be Tokyo's version of the skydiving Queen Bess. Totally unexpected for the oh-so-serious Japanese. And so much fun! I actually think it's brilliant.

You know, I've long hoped that if Tokyo wins, that they do go totally offbeat, and instead of highlighting the old cliches of japan - cherry blossoms, kabuki, tea ceremonies, mimimalist aesthetics etc in their ceremonies and branding, they go all out for a youthful approach with manga, anime, harajuku girls, cosplay, karaoke and, yes, Godzilla, featuring more. Make it fun!

Anyway, considering the GamesBids memes from Tokyo's previous campaign, and in light of Fukushima, it's been a surprisingly Godzilla-free zone here for this race.

He's not panicking. He doens't care what kind of map it is, as long as he gets to 'criticize & despise' Tokyo! Wow, good misrepresentation there! :angry:

here's the radioactive plume map.....pretty colors. <_<

image1.jpg

I'm pretty sure than anytime you have to put out a press release with the words, "leak, highly and radioactive" that ain't good, no matter what else you try to say.

nobody cares....to many big problems in the world now for any story to cut through, even one with such scary implications. If it melts down again then it’ll be interesting.

So what……….

Your point?

Go get irradiated for all I care.

There are millions of maps of the plume/ocean current, and spread of the Fukashima disastrous radiation……do you somehow think it’s contained.

Not trying to be sneaky here, it’s pretty obvious what’s happening and your lack of concern is EXACTLY what is going on all over…….so be it.

Okay, in the interests to see whether I was downplaying the seriousness of the leak, I did some research:

Fukushima Leak's 'Level 3' Rating: What It Means

How the Scale Works

The INES scale was created in 1990 as a way of communicating the relative seriousness of incidents in which radioactivity is released at nuclear plants. Before that, various countries relied upon their own classification systems, which made it difficult to compare a nuclear mishap that occurred in the U.S. with one in, say, Europe or Japan. The scale is a pyramid with seven tiers. The lowest is 1, or "anomaly."

In that sort of incident, a nuclear plant might have a one-time incident in which someone is exposed to a small amount of radioactivity—less than ten millisieverts, roughly the amount that a person gets from an abdominal CT scan—or in which a small amount of low-level radioactive material is misplaced or stolen. Probably hundreds of such events occur around the world every year, according to experts.

At the top of the scale is a level 7, denoted as a "major accident," in which a massive release of radiation threatens people over a widespread area and requires nuclear authorities to take measures such as large-scale evacuations to protect the public.

Only two such events have rated a level 7—the original Fukushima accident in 2011 and the 1986 Chernobyl disaster in the former Soviet Union, which received the rating retroactively. The partial meltdown at the Three Mile Island plant in Pennsylvania in 1979, the worst accident in U.S. nuclear power history, retroactively has been rated a 5.

Somewhere in between is level 3, the rating assigned to the recent Fukushima leak. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Scott Burnell said that the rating probably was based upon the elevated exposure risk that the leak presents to cleanup workers inside the plant, rather than to the public.

"In broad terms, going from a one to a three means that it has a greater impact at the site," Burnell explained. "Personnel there have to take actions to monitor and if necessary reduce their exposure. But there is no expectation of effects outside the plant."

Will the Rating Change?

Burnell said that he didn't expect the situation at Fukushima to be upgraded in seriousness past level 3, because it involves a leak of radioactive water from the site, rather than a breakdown of another reactor. "If you don't have an operating reactor, you don't have the starting conditions to generate the impact necessary to rate something a 7," he said.

Another example of a Level 3 accident was a 2005 leak at Great Britain's Sellafield nuclear fuel reprocessing plant. In that event, about 20 tons of uranium and about 350 pounds of plutonium spewed onto a plant floor when a pipe ruptured. The material was contained in a sealed area, so there was no release to the outside world. A 1989 accident at a plant in Vanellos, Spain, in which a fire caused safety systems to fail, also retroactively received a 3 rating.

National Geographic

The point is you sorta proved FYI's point.

Who is FYI?

oh nevermind.....I just remembered the post.

I absolutely do not despise Tokyo, I despise TEPCO and …I’m criticizing the Japanese government, maybe some of the “bid” people who act like FUkashima is GREAT for the Tokyo bid.

I do find Tokyo boring, the bid and the city.

Better, but as usual a little context really helps. According to the original article from which the ilustration is taken, those charts show a simulation of concentration (measured at the surface) relative to the average concentration actually measured at the end of the initial 2011 leak into the sea. The model estimates that, by the time that average was measured, the radioactive material had already been dispersed over an area about 0.5 degrees E-W and 0.75 degrees S-N. Therefore, when the chart shows a dilution of 1 x 10^-3 (one thousandth), it's not one thousandth of the initial level as found within the reactor, but one thousandth of the level after initial dilution over an area of around 5,000 sq km, and a variable depth of water.

Even if all the radioactive material which dropped from the reactor into the flooded building basement (estimated lifetime radiation output, 276 quadrillion Becquerels) is eventually carried out to sea, dispersal / dilution over 25% of the Pacific and a depth of only 100 metres (in an ocean which in places is several kilometres deep) would reduce the activity per kilogram of water to a tiny fraction of Japan's very tough safety limit. However, living things have the potential to concentrate radioactive materials within themselves, and living things tend to get eaten by other living things, so the fishing industry within a pretty large distance of Fukushima is in serious trouble.

Who is FYI?

oh nevermind.....I just remembered the post.

I absolutely do not despise Tokyo, I despise TEPCO and …I’m criticizing the Japanese government, maybe some of the “bid” people who act like FUkashima is GREAT for the Tokyo bid.

I do find Tokyo boring, the bid and the city.

Really? You critize the Japanese government? I criticize the Spanish government for blowing money on an olympic bid while their country has over 25% unemployment. Or the Turkish government? I mean do we want to get started into dictator Erdogan?

I love Tokyo as a city so much to explore. Madrid, Istanbul not so much.

Really? You critize the Japanese government? I criticize the Spanish government for blowing money on an olympic bid while their country has over 25% unemployment. Or the Turkish government? I mean do we want to get started into dictator Erdogan?

I love Tokyo as a city so much to explore. Madrid, Istanbul not so much.

If your argument to defend tokio, or the japanese government is attacking Madrid and Istanbul, well.. :angry:

Archived