On 10/23/2016 at 5:19 PM, RuFF said:

It looks soooooo DATED already.  Can't believe Lucas picked another Zaha Hadid in the making.  I think its design is too "Look-at-me!  Look-at-me!" for Exposition Park.  

Was really surprised the Chicago plan fell thru considering his wife is supposedly influential in Chicago politics; and it would've been a one-two punch for Chicago, the other being the Barack Obama Presidential Library, I think at the same park.  (Or will his Library be closer to the Univ.of Chicago campus?)

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It looks soooooo DATED already.  Can't believe Lucas picked another Zaha Hadid in the making.  I think its design is too "Look-at-me!  Look-at-me!" for Exposition Park.  

Was really surprised the Chicago plan fell thru considering his wife is supposedly influential in Chicago politics; and it would've been a one-two punch for Chicago, the other being the Barack Obama Presidential Library, I think at the same park.  (Or will his Library be closer to the Univ.of Chicago campus?)

The SF model is very similar and was designed by the same architecht.

I actually like the design and feel it would complement the Expo area well. A new stadium AND a new museum? That would be nice.

It sure beats having those parking lots.

16 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, so is the Obama Presidential Library really going to be in Chicago?  I was hoping that it would be in Hawaii.  I could see the Obamas retiring there, but who knows?

I like the Lucas museum design, but I'm not too enthused about it.  It is rather gimmicky architecture, almost looks like something that could be an update for Tomorrowland Terrace at Disneyland.  But I guess it's fitting for a sci-fi themed museum.  The one rendering reminds me of a shoe print, or gel insole.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ejaycat said:

Oh, so is the Obama Presidential Library really going to be in Chicago?  I was hoping that it would be in Hawaii.  I could see the Obamas retiring there, but who knows?

Checked further.  It's going to be in Jackson Park in Chicago.  (Hawaii's too far.  Chicago is more accessible to everyone in the 48.  Plus users from Europe, Canada & Mexico, Africa.)  

On October 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM, TeamBlakeUSA said:

Las Vegas, San Diego, Fresno, Santa Clara, Glendale, Denver And Seattle Will Host The Football Events.

Fresno & Vegas?! :huh: That's hysterical! Do they even have venues that big, especially Fresno. And you mean *would*, unless you mean 2028, then that sounds  more accurate! :lol:

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM, RuFF said:

Yeah, this was going to happen, Olympics or not.

By 2024, however, electric cars I assume will be the norm with German automakers surely making sexier cars than Tesla that are also fully electric.

Elon's end game was never to sell cars, it was push carmakers to move to all electric...and he in turn...would supply the batteries and infrastructure to sustain them

Smart motherfucker.

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

A shame there's no major building work to be done. An Olympic venue or project making use of these new solar tiles would be very cool. Maybe if Paris wins LA can export a few of these to help with their Olympic village.

Yup. That's the solar power development I've been waiting for; current panels really ruin the look of a roof.

Although I may avoid being a really early adopter ...

Looks like the  (currently under construction) Oceanwide Plaza is the new home of LA's first Park Hyatt Hotel. 

Directly across from the Staples Center, this is at the heart of the LA 2024's Bid Downtown Cluster.

Park Hyatt luxury hotel added to Oceanwide Plaza development in Los Angeles

By ANTONIO PACHECO  October 25, 2016
Luxury hotelier Park Hyatt has signed up to be a part of the Oceanwide Plaza, $1 billion, 1,488,101-square foot, mixed-use development in Downtown Los Angeles. (Courtesy Oceanwide Real Estate Group)
Luxury hotelier Park Hyatt has signed up to be a part of the Oceanwide Plaza, $1 billion, 1,488,101-square foot, mixed-use development in Downtown Los Angeles. (Courtesy Oceanwide Real Estate Group)

Luxury hotelier Park Hyatt announced this week that it has signed up to be a part of Oceanwide Plaza, $1 billion, 1,488,101-square foot, mixed-use development inDowntown Los Angeles. The development would mark the brand’s first Los Angeles location.

It is unclear whether the Park Hyatt addition will change the project’s fundamental details, but previously-filed plans for Oceanwide Plaza detail the inclusion of 504 condominium units, 153,000-square feet of retail space, and a hotel with 183 guest rooms.

(Courtesy Oceanwide Real Estate Group)

(Courtesy Oceanwide Real Estate Group)

The project is being designed by CallisonRTKL and will be contained within a trio of high-rise towers positioned above a mid-rise retail podium outfitted as an indoor-outdoor “galleria”-style mall. A large tower, with a long exposure oriented toward the south, will contain the hotel component while two shorter, east-west oriented towers will contain the condominium units. The podium will be crisscrossed with interior paseos connecting opposing sides of the development site and is to be wrapped in a 32,000-square foot LED ribbon wall that will create a massive, splashy cornice line backing these proposed retail areas. The project will be located at the center of the ever-growing L.A. Live / Staples Center development area that includes the Los Angeles Convention Center, the partially-completed Metropolis complex, as well as many other in-process or upcoming condominium and apartment projects connected by access to Los Angeles’s Blue and Expo light rail transit lines.

oceanwide-plaza-update1.jpg?w=640
Located on a 4.6-acre site between 11th and 12th Streets on Figueroa, Oceanwide Plaza broke ground in late 2015 and its construction has necessitated one of the largest concrete mat pours in Los Angeles history, with crews for the construction firm Lendlease pouring an estimated 25,900 cubic yards of concrete and six million pounds of rebar for the complex’s massive foundations earlier this year.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2018 and will be open to habitation in early 2019. News of the Park Hyatt hotel development was first reportedby the Wall Street Journal.

oceanwide1_1.jpg?itok=0W2iABvU

figsouth2.PNG

George Lucas hits the ground running in Los Angeles. Plans already filed for the Coliseum adjacent Lucas Narrative Art Museum months before his decision. 

SF, which like Chicago, faced opposition, plans to give full support this go around as well.

It's a classic SF vs LA. Both locations would get great exposure, but with LA's connection to almost exhibit that it will house (if not all)...I wonder why it wasn't considered a front runner from the get go.

Plans filed for futuristic George Lucas museum in LA

Five stories with theaters and a library

BY JENNA CHANDLER@JENNAKCHANDLER  NOV 1, 2016, 9:55AM

•  
Courtesy of Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

George Lucas is still looking for a place to land his proposed Museum of Narrative Art, and having faced resistance to build it on Chicago’s waterfront and in the Presidio in San Francisco, he’s not wasting time on his proposal for LA’s Exposition Park.

He wants to park the museum on a strip of land parallel to Vermont Avenue, just steps from the Memorial Coliseum. Renderings of the design by Chinese architect Ma Yansong were unveiled Thursday—a futuristic building that looks like a Star Wars spaceship. On Monday, plans were filed with the city’s planning department.

Those plans call for a five-story, 312,000-square-foot museum with exhibit areas, a cafe and restaurant, theaters, lecture halls, a library, and classrooms. The museum’s board of directors has also proposed surrounding the museum in up to seven acres of green space and offering parking for 1,800 cars.

LA isn’t a done deal, as Lucas hasn’t totally given up on San Francisco. The same day he released his Exposition Park design, he released a similar one for Treasure Island.

The San Francisco Chronicle got a good look at Lucas’ collection and wrote about it in August, saying “it may just be the core of a great museum.”

It includes an Arts of Filmmaking portion, which has storyboard drawings, set pieces, and costumes; original watercolors and illustrations from children’s books; paintings for Mad magazine covers; and Robert Crumb’s drawings of all 50 chapters of the Book of Genesis.

“Though movies will be shown at the museum regularly, film itself will not enter the collection,” theChronicle wrote.

Time will tell whether Los Angeles will be home to the Lucas collection. Politicians in both SF and LA are gunning for it.

Exposition Park design by MAD. Image: Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

Exposition Park design by MAD. Image: Lucas Museum of Narrative Art

Metro's Crenshaw Line that will link up the the poeple mover at LAX is one tunnel closer to reality. 1 down, 1 to go.

Tunnel-boring machine reaches milestone on Crenshaw rail line

The tunnel-boring machine known as Harriett breaks through the ground Oct. 20 at what will one day be the Leimert Park Station along the Crenshaw LAX Rail Line. The breakthrough marked the completion of the tunneling process for the southbound tracks of the rail line. MTA officials said the construction project is on pace for a 2019 opening. (Photo by Tyrone Cole) The tunnel-boring machine known as Harriett breaks through the ground Oct. 20 at what will one day be the Leimert Park Station along the Crenshaw LAX Rail Line. The breakthrough marked the completion of the tunneling process for the southbound tracks of the rail line. MTA officials said the construction project is on pace for a 2019 opening. (Photo by Tyrone Cole)

LEIMERT PARK — Marking another milestone in Southland rail construction, a tunnel-boring machine broke through the ground into the site of a future subway station here Oct. 20, completing the first of two tunnels that will connect three stations along the Crenshaw/LAX Light Rail line.

The newly completed tunnel will accommodate southbound tracks for the line, which will stretch from the Expo Line’s Crenshaw Station to the Green Line near Los Angeles International Airport. The tunnel-boring machine — named “Harriet” in honor of abolitionist Harriet Tubman, known for her “Underground Railroad” of safe houses for escaped slaves — will now be moved back to Crenshaw and Exposition boulevards to begin digging the tunnel for the northbound tracks.

Harriet was lowered into the ground under the future Crenshaw/Expo Station in February and began digging to the south in April. In August, it reached the Martin Luther King Jr. Station and then began excavating the last segment of the one-mile tunnel in September.

“For decades, the thought of a rail stop at the center of African-American culture in Los Angeles was no more than a dream,” County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said. “Today, as Harriet blazes a path to what will someday become Leimert Park Station, we can finally celebrate that dream becoming reality.”

“After the demise of the street cars, Los Angeles residents dreamed and fought for years for a return of rail transit to the Crenshaw corridor,” Mayor Eric Garcetti said. “That dream is now becoming a reality and we will soon have easy access via transit to some of our city’s oldest neighborhoods and Los Angeles International Airport.”

The $2.058-billion project is funded largely by Measure R approved by Los Angeles County voters in 2008. The light rail line will include eight new stations to serve the Crenshaw, Inglewood and LAX communities and accommodations for an additional station at 96th Street that will offer easy rail and bus transfers to the future LAX people mover that will serve airport terminals.

“It is our hope that South Los Angeles residents are very proud of the construction of the Crenshaw/LAX light-rail line,” MTA board member Jacquelyn Dupont-Walker said.

MTA CEO Phillip Washington announced that the authority and contractor Walsh Shea Corridor Constructors have committed to completing the Crenshaw Line in 2019.

“This agreement provides a partnership framework for us and our contractors to work through project changes to deliver projects to the public within the expected, and possibly accelerated, timeline,” Washington said. “When the Crenshaw/LAX Rail Line opens in 2019, the real winners will be the traveling public as the rail system offers more mobility options to Los Angeles county residents.”

Fresno has Bulldog Stadium which seats around 40,000 and his home to Fresno State football. Can't see it being used though and it's highly probable San Diego won't make the cut either especially if the Chargers leave and Qualcomm Stadium gets demolished. That list of stadiums comes from Wikipedia. If I am not mistaken the only confirmed football venues are the Rose Bowl and Banc of California Stadium

31 minutes ago, RuFF said:

http://gamesbids.com/eng/robs-bidblog/bidweek-trump-election-victory-will-be-devastating-for-la-2024-olympic-bid/

Gamesbids has a piece on how damaging a Trump victory may be. Personally I'm checked out of the election so I don't care who wins. And to be honest I don't care if LA loses the bid as I'm falling in line with those that distrust the IOC. 

If Trump wins, the LA 2024 organization should do the right thing and pull their bid.

If Clinton wins, they should go balls to the wall with the bid.

I personally don't think a Hillary Clinton win will help the LA bid much either.  Hillary Clinton is a warmonger who will only continue/prolong oil wars and drones killing innocent people; I doubt she'll impress the IOC with her neo-liberal economic policies and status quo foreign policy. 

For the record, I voted for Jill Stein for President.  I voted on October 13.  Gotta love early voting/being a permanent mail-in voter!

#JillNotHill

58 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What a waste of your vote, ejay.  I don't know why anybody bothers to waste their votes on those fringe candidates. 

Yeah, what a wasted vote all those people made when they voted for the Republicans in 1856...It's not like the Republican party became relevant four years later.

I think more voting for third party/fourth party candidates is good because it opens the door to maybe having a multi-party system that forces compromise one day. 

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What a waste of your vote, ejay.  I don't know why anybody bothers to waste their votes on those fringe candidates. 

It's not a wasted vote; I voted for a candidate and party platform that lines up with my values.  I'd rather vote for something I want and not get it, than vote for something I don't want, and get it.  The Democrats and Republicans are funded by the same corporations, they're both basically corrupt.  You can't get real change in the US if people are constantly voting for the same two status quo parties.

8 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Yeah, what a wasted vote all those people made when they voted for the Republicans in 1856...It's not like the Republican party became relevant four years later.

I think more voting for third party/fourth party candidates is good because it opens the door to maybe having a multi-party system that forces compromise one day. 

And maybe one day the Electoral College will be abolished.  There's no need for it.  It just perpetuates the status quo of a rigged 2-party system.

People have told me that a vote for Jill Stein is a vote for Donald Trump.  My response has been no it's not, it's a vote for Jill Stein.  Plus, I live in California, a highly Democratic state, and the state with the most electoral votes.  Hillary Clinton is guaranteed to win California.  I can write-in "Lucifer" or "Carrie White for Prom Queen" on my ballot, and Hillary Clinton will still win California. 

Edited by ejaycat

^...or, you can write in "Donald" Duck & still be voting for Donald Trump! :lol: But seriously, Trump keeps calling the system "rigged", but yet the truth is, he's also part of that rigged system. 

You also keep hearing the mantra about "neither are good, but you gotta vote for the lesser of two evils". Yeah, okay. But then that really never changes anything, either. "Democracy" is suppose to be about *power of the people*, but it's really not being truly excercised when the two main choices presented to you are constantly Dumb & Dumber.

3 hours ago, FYI said:

^...or, you can write in "Donald" Duck & still be voting for Donald Trump! :lol: But seriously, Trump keeps calling the system "rigged", but yet the truth is, he's also part of that rigged system. 

You also keep hearing the mantra about "neither are good, but you gotta vote for the lesser of two evils". Yeah, okay. But then that really never changes anything, either. "Democracy" is suppose to be about *power of the people*, but it's really not being truly excercised when the two main choices presented to you are constantly Dumb & Dumber.

And having more candidates splits the vote.  As a matter of fact, it's a terrible thing.  Just look at the last Philippine presidential elections last May, there were 4 serious candidates.  What happened?  The Dangerous Clown who won, cRuderigo Idio30, got 16 million + votes.  The next 3 candidates got, like, the other 21 or 22 million votes.  So, Poe and Binay actually sucked off more votes that could have gone to Roxas; and the Clown (Duterte) breezed by.  

Perhaps, a run-off might be a better solution.  

Better yet, let me APPOINT the winner!!  B)

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And having more candidates splits the vote.  As a matter of fact, it's a terrible thing.  Just look at the last Philippine presidential elections last May, there were 4 serious candidates.  What happened?  The Dangerous Clown who won, cRuderigo Idio30, got 16 million + votes.  The next 3 candidates got, like, the other 21 or 22 million votes.  So, Poe and Binay actually sucked off more votes that could have gone to Roxas; and the Clown (Duterte) breezed by.  

Perhaps, a run-off might be a better solution.  

Better yet, let me APPOINT the winner!!  B)

Preferential voting addresses this.

The problem, though, is that getting rid of the two party system will only make it easier for idiots like Donald Trump to get into office. The two party system forces the parties closer to the center. The reason that Trump might be successful is not the lack of a far left candidate to vote for, but rather that the Democrats put up an establishment candidate.

Whatever you think of Hillary, she would be another dynastic president and has virtually no charisma. At this rate the 2028 race may be Jenna Bush vs Chelsea Clinton.

Back on topic: If -God forbid- Trump wins the election the LA 2024 campaign should just fold.

Edited by Nacre