52 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Sheesh... we can't even agree on the easy part (Loss vs Loce) and you think we'll come up with a single pronunciation for the hard part.

That's why the city's name is usually pronounced "El A" 

Actually it's more like "El Lay."  

4 minutes ago, Jesse Saenz said:

Los Angeles is technically Spanish and is therefore "Lows- An-Hell-us"

It's interesting to me how place names in the LA area are pronounced by long term residents/LA natives, transplants, and Mexican immigrants.

San Pedro is pronounced "San PEE-droh" by LA natives; I've heard transplants pronounce it "San PAY-droh."  

Los Feliz is pronunced "Lohss FEE-liss" by LA natives, while I've heard transplants pronounce it "Lohss Fuh-LEEZ."  

The suburb of El Monte is pronounced "El Monny" by longtime residents, both Americans and Mexican-Americans; Mexican immigrants pronounce it the Spanish way, "El MOHN-teh."   

A little blurb about Lake Perris from the Los Ángeles Times:

LA 2024 completes talks to add Lake Perris to Olympic venue list

BY DAVID WHARTON
October 4, 2016, 12:30 p.m.

LA 2024 officials have finalized negotiations with the state of California to add Lake Perris as a rowing and canoe-sprint venue for their Olympic bid.

The switch to a Riverside County site 70 miles from downtown Los Angeles expands the footprint eastward for what had initially been touted as a compact Games.

But bid officials, who recently shifted other venues to Long Beach and Anaheim, said the change suits their “strategy of integrating the best of Southern California’s existing world-class sports, leisure and tourism infrastructure.”

“Most importantly, Lake Perris will provide a breathtaking setting to inspire athletes and deliver the perfect conditions for the performances of a lifetime," committee Chairman Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

The original bid featured rowing and canoe events at Ventura County’s Lake Casitas — which served as a venue for the 1984 Los Angeles Games — but that was expected to change.

A View of Lake Perris
Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times

Link:

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-91641431/

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Way to go Obama. He's saying IOC host city selection is cooked, which may be true. However, he used the 2016 vote in 2009 as an example and well, I'm not sure that was the best example. 

http://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/obamas-remark-that-ioc-olympic-bid-decisions-are-cooked-is-poorly-timed/

Well, its the truth. Sucks it had to come out now and the end of his term and with LA 2024 on the line, but oh well. Truth hurts.

6 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Re the change of Lake Perris in place of Lake Casitas, I guess the plan to create a new rowing basin in the Sepulveda area to be run by UCLA, USC and Pepperdine, has fallen through.  Of course, the new Lake Perris location makes the 400-mi rowing venue change for Tokyo 2020, look like heaven.  

This is the first I have heard this idea. Can you elaborate further on where you heard this or what the idea was? Were they looking to build a new, full spec rowing course in LA?

2 hours ago, LDM said:

This is the first I have heard this idea. Can you elaborate further on where you heard this or what the idea was? Were they looking to build a new, full spec rowing course in LA?

I had read that that was an idea being floated about.  And it made sense since it would bring a rowing basin closer to metro LA, the Valley, and to the 3 big institutions who would run it.  But I guess the 2.5 universities aren't major-enough rowing powers to warrant their own SoCal rowing basin.  

8 hours ago, RuFF said:

As a side note... Perris Lake (bad omen again) is undergoing a project that will allow the lake water lever, if successful, to be raised 17 feet. 

How?  With a drought?  And LA 2024 has probably drafted its Rowing plans based on the lake's present levels -- not the 17 feet higher.  It's already an artificially made lake/reservoir.  They'll probably find a 3rd alternative for 2028.  

On 4 October 2016 at 5:25 PM, FYI said:

That would be like us Americans pronouncing London as 'Lawn-Dawn'. And I'm sure such a mispronounciation of your capital from us "yanks" would drive you guys batty over there.

Hmmmm. It's rare to find an American who can pronounce Melbourne and Brisbane properly. The usual is Mel-Bourrne (with a pronounced "R" in it, rather than the correct Melb'n, or Bris-Bayne, rather than Brisb'n. Yes, we swallow the vowels. It can be grating, but more usually amusing.

Anyway, on the topic to hand - just plain LA is always the safest. I admit, though, if we were to say the name out in full, we Aussies would probably tend towards the Brit pronunciation as well. Though, personally, with a Latin hubby, I probably tend to over-latinise it.  

3 hours ago, stryker said:

Could the Marina del Rey, currently home to UCLA Rowing, not be used as the rowing venue? Lake Perris is at least closer than Lake Casitas.

Nope.  Marina del Rey is NOT equipped to handle multi-national competitions; let alone the special int'l requirements of a global event like an Olympics.  I think the changes to Perris are that: (1) closer than Lake Casitas; (2) there is more infrastructure there for a large, int'l event; and (3) I'm guessing that they don't have to hold competitions between 7am - 10am after which the winds start churning at Casitas and make the water very choppy.  I imagine they can hold the competitions later in the day or late afternoon at Perris, without regard for adverse, changing weather conditions.  Plus, the viewing crowds can come right up to Perris and park there.  No need to bus them in to lakeshore as was done at Casitas; and then bus them out again.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Hmmmm. It's rare to find an American who can pronounce Melbourne and Brisbane properly. The usual is Mel-Bourrne (with a pronounced "R" in it, rather than the correct Melb'n, or Bris-Bayne, rather than Brisb'n. Yes, we swallow the vowels. It can be grating, but more usually amusing.

That's mostly likely bcuz we have a couple of towns named Melbourne of our own & pronoune them with the R. Brisbane, however, I myself pronoune it Bris-bin. i remember during Rio 2016 some of the American broadcasters pronouncing it bris-bin too. So the ones pronouncing it Bris-bayne must be in the minority. But Los Ange-"LEES" is really like nails on a chalkboard!

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

The guy in the blue jumper got most of them. The rest of them were useless! :lol:

But Shrewsbury can be pronounced both ways - so marking them down on that was a bit mean.
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/06/27/shrowsbury-or-shroosbury-the-results-are-in/

Edited by Rob.

What really gets me is the way BBC news readers pronounce "Pentagon."  We here in the US say "PEHN-tuh-gahn."  BBC reporters say "PEHN-tuh-ghin."  

Oh man, and the way the BBC reporters say our President's name!  That one really gets me, because it's established by many other Americans, as well as the President himself, how his first name is pronounced.  It's "buh-ROCK."  I've heard the BBC reporters say his name as if it rhymes with "Derrick," they actually say "Barrick Obama."  It's like where did they come up with that one?

Some months ago, I caught an episode of "The Great British Baking Show" while channel surfing, and for about 10 minutes, I couldn't understand what they were instructed to bake.  I kept hearing them say that the bakers had to make "pitta."  PIT-tuh, with that very enunciated "t" sound that the English do.  I'm all thinking, 'what the hell is that?'  And then I realized they were saying "pita"!  Americans pronounce it "PETE-uh."  Well, more like "PEE-duh," at least that's how we say it in California.  Sometimes our "t's" are pronounced like "d's," and of course we don't even pronounce the second "t" in "20":  We say "twenny."  And then we say "third-ee," "four-dee," but then we say "fif-tee," "six-tee," and then "seven-dee," "eigh-dee" and "nine-dee."