Tesla driver killed in crash while using car's 'Autopilot'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The first U.S. fatality using self-driving technology took place in May when the driver of a Tesla S sports car operating the vehicle's "Autopilot" automated driving system died after a collision with a truck in Florida, federal officials said Thursday.

"The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer," the company said. The windshield of the Model S collided with the bottom of the trailer.

By the time firefighters arrived, the wreckage of the Tesla — with its roof sheared off completely — was hundreds of feet from the crash site where it had come to rest in a nearby yard.

Tesla driver killed in crash while using car's 'Autopilot'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The first U.S. fatality using self-driving technology took place in May when the driver of a Tesla S sports car operating the vehicle's "Autopilot" automated driving system died after a collision with a truck in Florida, federal officials said Thursday.

"The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer," the company said. The windshield of the Model S collided with the bottom of the trailer.

By the time firefighters arrived, the wreckage of the Tesla — with its roof sheared off completely — was hundreds of feet from the crash site where it had come to rest in a nearby yard.

Yup. That literally happened around the time I was last replying.

Very unfortunate. As we all know, even the safest vehicles are not completely immune from accidents. A white trailer turned in front of the Tesla with the bright sun in the background. Not being able to tell the difference neither the driver or the Autopilot feature applied the brakes.

This is the first fatality in 130 million miles of driving. That compares with a fatality rate of 1 in 94 million miles in normal cars. So they're 40% safer. And the good thing is, they'll now look to re-code the software to make crashes such as this one less likely. So a future software update in every car will learn from this one crash. A kind of hive mind.

The difficulty would seem to be with who is liable in the event of an accident. I hope lawyers don't hold up the development of this technology in wake of this rare event.

This is the first fatality in 130 million miles of driving. That compares with a fatality rate of 1 in 94 million miles in normal cars. So they're 40% safer. And the good thing is, they'll now look to re-code the software to make crashes such as this one less likely. So a future software update in every car will learn from this one crash. A kind of hive mind.

The difficulty would seem to be with who is liable in the event of an accident. I hope lawyers don't hold up the development of this technology in wake of this rare event.

Agreed.

Autopilot accident = 1

Human Error = The rest

Crazy arrive from future LA in the LA Times. Funny, the author suggests a wildly successful games.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-walker-utopia-los-angeles-20160705-snap-story.html

[sarcasm]It's not just funny, it's hilarious! ROFLMAO!! I haven't stopped laughing since I read it. No, wait, I’m not finished holding my sides![/sarcasm]

The word "utopian" is there for a reason. Most comprehensive rail system in the country? In 40 years? But no, let's post it here because you see a mention of the 2024 Olympics and get all excited.

And I guess you didn't want to post this bit of satire as well..

A letter from 2056: Dystopian L.A. gives you everything you love to hate, only more of it

And this has to do with Los Angeles.. how? Or is this where you call out Paris for trying to copy LA's strategy of trying to engage youth since they thought of it first and cornered the market on "all that engaging youth nonsense"?

^Especially when at the same time they b!tch & moan about why Paris 2024 gets talked about in the "L.A." thread. The utter hypocrisy couldn't be more blatant here. But it's just their usual Paris 2024 can do no right & L.A. can do no wrong trollish "nonsense".

^Especially when at the same time they b!tch & moan about why Paris 2024 gets talked about in the "L.A." thread. The utter hypocrisy couldn't be more blatant here. But it's just their usual Paris 2024 can do no right & L.A. can do no wrong trollish "nonsense".

363d5bb0d8f3f1d5b63ee7e581d9d8060c0a1db1

The thing is, you talk like LA is the inventor of "youth engagement". Really, it's about the bare minimum entry level requirement for the marketing of any and every bid since at least the dawn of the razzmatazz Samaranch era. Edited by Sir Rols

I really don't understand why Quaker, FYI and company are so obsessed with me either.

Yes you do. It's because you're a troll. And I'm pretty sure you know that and are content to own it. So the options for the rest of us are either to ignore you or to treat you like a troll. I would love for this thread to be about constructive discussion about LA and their Olympic bid. You're heavily biased in favor of LA. Fine, we get that. Not a first here on this site. But please, explain to us why you think it is necessarily and relevant to this thread to post a story about Paris (which comes from this site and already has a thread elsewhere which you obviously saw) that has nothing to do with LA and give it the pretense of "all that engaging youth nonsense I spoke about."

I did not talk about LA being the inventor of youth engagement. I talked about how it was essential to any bid and that LA had a pointed marketing campaign that put it at the center and for obvious reason. All the crap you are piling on is again, projecting. And like clock work whatever I say you guys chime in with what it seems like.

Sorry. I thought you'd posted a Paris news item in the LA thread for the purpose of implying that Paris was somehow catching up or copying from LA's lead. My bad.

Happy 46th Birthday to fellow Angeleno and music artist, Beck! He and I were born the same year.

This music video is very LA, shot mostly in the Boyle Heights neighborhood (with a bit of Westlake District).

Not an Olympic-bid-related post, but what the hell!

In NYC at the moment and on the 4th of July I went on a pub crawl with a bunch of international travelers. During the pub crawl, on the TV screens came up Rio 2016 games "Road to Rio." The only two Brazilians in the group literally shouted out loud "don't go!"

A conversation about the Olympics ensued. A Parisi an couple and a guy from Rome where in the convo...all of us slightly drunk at this point. The Parisi an couple said that Paris should "sit this one out."

The guy from Rome said, "they need to fix the fucking Metro first!"

It was interesting to see/hear.

• Like 1

The Olympics are not bad by nature, but they are victims of their own success.

Tickets to see Usain Bolt win the 100m in London were as expensive as Super Bowl tickets. There is huge demand for track and field tickets at the Olympics. But they are literally the only time you would need a 70,000 capacity athletics stadium. Even for the world championships 50,000 seats is enough to meet the demand. For the normal Diamond League events or national championships 15,000 to 20,000 seats is enough.

The same is true for the aquatics center, velodrome, artificial whitewater complex, etc.

A conversation about the Olympics ensued. A Parisi an couple and a guy from Rome where in the convo...all of us slightly drunk at this point. The Parisi an couple said that Paris should "sit this one out."

Did you ask them why they feel that way? Even the most supported Olympic bids will have their detractors and given the feelings towards the Olympics, especially in Europe these days (not to mention how looking at Brazil might be influencing their opinions). Just curious if there's a reason behind it, in part like you gave for Rome. I'm betting if you looked hard enough, you'd find more than a couple of people in LA that think LA is foolish for pursuing an Olympic bid.

The Olympics are not bad by nature, but they are victims of their own success.

Tickets to see Usain Bolt win the 100m in London were as expensive as Super Bowl tickets. There is huge demand for track and field tickets at the Olympics. But they are literally the only time you would need a 70,000 capacity athletics stadium. Even for the world championships 50,000 seats is enough to meet the demand. For the normal Diamond League events or national championships 15,000 to 20,000 seats is enough.

The same is true for the aquatics center, velodrome, artificial whitewater complex, etc.

And therein lies the rub.. how can a city justify having 70,000 seats for athletics and make that venue work for whatever else the city wants to use it for. Good for LA that they have the Coliseum and the new soccer stadium coming. But these aren't easy retrofits to make those work for athletics and swimming, both in terms of cost and inconvenience to the stadium's primary tenants.

Which, as always, goes back to the question of what a city/country hopes to gain from the Olympics? Even a city like LA which has a lot in place for what is required of an Olympics, but still some major projects (some temporary) that won't necessarily have lasting benefits.

• Like 1