Beach volleyball, sailing, rowing, canoeing & "road events" are not marquee events at the Olympics. Those are usually (with the exception of beach volleyball) held at distances anyway.

Los Angeles may have "the most" venues than any other city out there, but the IOC isn't going to be so anal-retentive about it (& measure it with some ruler, per se) if all the other bids are more or less equal in that aspect.

Again, Thomas Bach emphasizing how all the 2024 candidates are embracing "agenda 2020" to taylor their own city's needs is really the crux of the matter. And not who has a couple of extra "existing facilities" in place. Same goes with the "lower" (disingenuous) plan B budget, since the "selling point" was totally different just a few weeks ago on the OV.

^^^^^

I was thinking maybe even a temporarily-closed-to-traffic Grand Avenue. It would have to be an area where temporary grandstands could be set up to accommodate spectators. Grand Park might work, but the park is on different levels, and it's crossed by major streets...

Well if that's the case, then why not just hold beach volleyball in a sandbox in a gym.

I thought we were talking about the setting. So, I was thinking 'oh, beach volleyball on an actual beach. How novel.'

LA%202024%27s%20temporary%20beach%20voll

insidethegames.biz

Not every great city is blessed with great beaches. So of course those that don't have to be a bit creative of they want to add a splash of glamour to their proposals for the sport. Nothing wrong with a Horse Guards Parade or Eiffel Tower in giving an iconic setting. But for those cities that do have a Copacabana, Bondi or Santa Monica, what can you do but flaunt it! It's definitely a great selling point, and possibly guarantees at least one vote in the bag from the relevant sports federation.

While we can debate which are "marquee" sports and which not, and beach volleyball may not have the gravitas of track and field or swimming, I don't think there's any doubt that BV has fast become one of the most popular and anticipated sports in the games. From personal experience, BV at Sydney and London were THE hottest tickets to snare come games time. I think iconic locations played a part in that on both occasions.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

This is actually a post worth discussing. While Paris/France swing right, left LA might be opening with Bernie Sanders. In terms of politics this might actually be a strong suit.

Yea. UCLA and USC are an excellent plan B. The LA River project is moving forward with or without an Athletes Village and will probably make an appearance at LA 2024 anyway.

There are a few who constantly post as if LA is doing things for the Olympics, but unfortunately those posts are misinformed. So far, the only project that have moved up to meet an Olympic deadline are the Purple Line and the LAX People Mover. Not a single venue is being renovated or built because of the Olympics, the games would just happen to benefit from them. However, it's important to note that LA is reimagining itself and public transit is at the top of the cities existing priorities. This discussion has already moved past the public and by 2/3rd vote it passed and became policy. But, let's go back to how will LA pay for it chat and all that other BS.

It's true that the election will play a role in this bid. Unfortunately, this realistically won't be an issue until the next president is elected. With so many pressing issues that candidates are debating, it's unlikely that we'll ever hear from the candidates about their thoughts on the Olympic bid until after Election Day.

among those bids who have the least budget? LA's was low and now it's even lower with the move to UCLA and USC dorms. Staples Center is an Arena like no other, better then any other arena that hosted Basketball, if Baseball would be played then it will be probably in the iconic Dodger Stadium (though dodgers will be in season then.... ). While sure St Denis and Olimpico better stadiums then the Colliseum (Pre Rnovations), nothing will come close to the Rams stadium (like i said it will be added to the bid, maybe for ceremonies and track will stay in colliseum like this year? ) Paris have advantage with tennis just like london had and probably track cycling, but LA have more advantage with Beach Volleyball, Sailing, Rowing, Canoeing , Road Events.

Everyone have existing venues (well at least Paris and Rome), many more then rio and even london, but not as many as Los Angeles.

U've got to understand something about the IOC's bidding game. GEO-POLITICS and having the SOGs return to Europe every 3rd time, TRUMPS everything else, including having 98% of the venues in place. Paris may not bid again, whereas LA's venues will still be there for the next round -- so you first grab the desirable city that's been knocking at that door a few times. They know that LA will always be around to accept the mantle any time.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

I think LA may have shot themselves in the foot by using almost exclusively existing venues. I would like to see how the Olympics are going to change the city, London had the Stratford regeneration and Rio first city in South America and creation of new sports complexes. LA will just use a bunch of venues to host an Olympics who can shout loud and proud "we are the cheapest, pick us".

What is the legacy of that? What impact would the 2024 Olympics actually have on the city?

By opting for the cheapest option, they may not have created the most inspirational or significant bid. This potentially leaves the door open to the European cities, Paris can shout about existing venues, but they are investing in new venues and taking advantage of iconic landmarks with temporary venues. Rome is the balance of new venues, history and existing infrastructure, the historical elements are more likely to inspire IOC members than LA's bid. Finally, Budapest, the complete opposite, but you can see the strong legacy and appeal, first Olympics in the region, smaller sized city, a strong zone and cluster masterplan and good use of the limited existing venues.

Like Bach said, all the cities embraced agenda 2020, but LA have gone too far that they have lost the inspirational part of their bid, which may cost them when push comes to shove.

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a totally american person.

Not only Proud american, but PROUD citizen of the great city of LOS ANGELES, it's not by chance that we are called the city of champions, that the nfl was dying to come here, that we are the home of the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings and hopefully Rams. This is where Major Sport Events belong, and after hosting the Superbowl maybe at 2020, 2024 should be the year the olympics come back to where they belong

simply put, this is THE BEST bid out there, the smart and logical decision would be to award it to LA, however it was also logical to give usa the 2022 world cup and "somehow" it ended up in qatar, so i totally see this kind of scenario.

Urghhh....why start your post off with this?

So who in this race is Qatar? Because as far as I can see only Budapest gets close to being as unsuitable and I can totally NOT see that scenario happening.

Getting your excuses in early.

Have y'all really been arguing about sand for a couple of pages now? lmao oh dear god.

Personally I'd rather have a beach volleyball venue on the beach. It makes it so much more authentic. But I'm not against Paris' plan, I think having it in a location with the backdrop of the Eiffel Tower is a great idea. One of my favorite plans for Madrid's bid for the 2020 Olympics was their beach volleyball venue. They were going to drain the lake/pond in Parque Del Retiro and have this as their backdrop.

Parque-Del-Retiro.jpg

Putting a beach volleyball venue in a location where you can use an iconic landmark as the backdrop is a great solution for those cities who are nowhere near a beach to put that venue.

But having a beach isn't all it's cracked up to be either. If Houston ever put in a bid to host the Olympics again, I sure as hell would never want their beach volleyball venue to be in Galveston. While it's an ok beach for locals to make a quick weekend getaway to, it's not a beach I would want to showcase the world to lol

This is where Major Sport Events belong, and after hosting the Superbowl maybe at 2020, 2024 should be the year the olympics come back to where they belong

Yes, please! Drill this point across as much as you can from now until final presentation day!! That should win you guys A LOT of votes!!! LMFAO!!!! :-D

• Like 2

I sure as hell would never want their beach volleyball venue to be in Galveston. While it's an ok beach for locals to make a quick weekend getaway to, it's not a beach I would want to showcase the world to lol

Uhmmm. . .it's actually more historic than you realize. It's where the first Miss Universe pageant actually started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Pageant_of_Pulchritude

BTW, I also did like Madrid's proposal for the BV venue.

Not only Proud american, but PROUD citizen of the great city of LOS ANGELES, it's not by chance that we are called the city of champions, that the nfl was dying to come here, that we are the home of the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings and hopefully Rams. This is where Major Sport Events belong, and after hosting the Superbowl maybe at 2020, 2024 should be the year the olympics come back to where they belong

Congratulations. You've just won the Republican Primary.

Or you use historical reference. A successful LA games had cities lining up to host the games again. I'd venture to say that would probably entice Paris to bid again. IMO, LA has this one in the bag.

IMO you understand the IOC as much as CNN did when Chicago bid.

If you look at the glass half empty this would be true, but from another perspective I'll say this. Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said, if I have 50 things to do the Olympics are number 51. LA is going through a major transformation. People can be impressed by this bid as a result and for LA the Olumpics are much closer to number 1. There is a lesson here for potential Olympic hopefuls. Get your house in order. Paris and its Grand Paris plan puts it well on this path. LA just has a head start here.

Paris will always be more inspiring than LA. It's freaking Paris.

Plus, LA doesn't have a terrorist attack it can use to get sympathy votes. Instead they just have a bunch of arrogant Americans.

I'd venture to say that would probably entice Paris to bid again.

Really? You realize the last time they lost they didn't bid again for another ten years? Right? You do remember that don't you? Oh of course you don't you just started following the Olympics.

• Like 2

While we can debate which are "marquee" sports and which not, and beach volleyball may not have the gravitas of track and field or swimming, I don't think there's any doubt that BV has fast become one of the most popular and anticipated sports in the games. From personal experience, BV at Sydney and London were THE hottest tickets to snare come games time. I think iconic locations played a part in that on both occasions.

I was gonna say, I'm sure what's considered a "marquee" sport is subjective. I know *I* watch beach volleyball on TV during the Olympics, and it's not so much because of the iconic locations, but the uh, hotties. ;)

U've got to understand something about the IOC's bidding game. GEO-POLITICS and having the SOGs return to Europe every 3rd time, TRUMPS everything else, including having 98% of the venues in place.

Actually, having almost all venues in place wasn't seen as something necessarily good in previous races because how would a city benefit from the Games if everything was already done? It's true, though, that Agenda 2020 didn't exist back then.

• Like 1

It's subjective when we're talking about events like curling, snowboarding, bowling, boxing, wushu, fencing, surfing, golf, badminton & beach volleyball, etc. But there's no denying that the traditional big events of gymnastics, swimming/diving, T&F, figure skating, ice hockey, luge, & skiing, etc at their respective Games *are* the Olympic marquee events that generate the most spectators, revenues & media coverage. Not the "subjective" ones.

I think the IOC knows that as far as France are concerned (quite possibly all of Europe too), this bid is it. The last chance for the IOC's spiritual home. If Paris loses 2024, it will be decades before they're back, & it may well put off the rest of Europe for a while too. By contrast, the IOC also knows that LA will always be there for them - they even have a permanent committee specifically for bidding that can be awakened whenever it's needed. LA won't take its ball home like Chicago or Paris. After all the Asian Olympics (and allowing room for Durban), one of 2028 or 32 will surely go to North America, & barring a Canadian miracle, it'll be LA. From the IOC's view, this is surely as near a no-brainer as they've ever had.

• Like 4

I think the IOC knows that as far as France are concerned (quite possibly all of Europe too), this bid is it. The last chance for the IOC's spiritual home. If Paris loses 2024, it will be decades before they're back, & it may well put off the rest of Europe for a while too. By contrast, the IOC also knows that LA will always be there for them - they even have a permanent committee specifically for bidding that can be awakened whenever it's needed. LA won't take its ball home like Chicago or Paris. After all the Asian Olympics (and allowing room for Durban), one of 2028 or 32 will surely go to North America, & barring a Canadian miracle, it'll be LA. From the IOC's view, this is surely as near a no-brainer as they've ever had.

So you DO understand the bidding process after all, yoshi! ;)

Ok let's put the who's better talk on the side for now, still have year and a half to bash each other lol

Anyway after careful look at the venues i do think that they should make one change, Handball shouldn't be at convention center, but either at Galen center and move Badminton/Taekwondo back to the convention center. Either that or move to the Long Beach Pyramid or Long Beach Arena.

In regard to the City of Champions Rams project i hope that somehow they can make retractable seats to accommodate for running track but i kinda doubt Stan Kroenke will be interested in that, but i do hope that we can perhaps use it for Ceremonies, maybe Basketball finals (Final Four's always played in big football stadiums), or maybe Gymnastics (it was in Georgia Dome in 96).

The rest of the proposal seems logical, was hoping for rowing to be in Castaic because i'm from Santa Clarita however i think it's too small

And both times it proved to be among the best decisions the IOC never made.

LA knows how to put up successful events, with the power of the people who live here, with the power of Hollywood, we can't have a sub-par event. There is a reason why NFL was dying to come back here for 30 years and now the time is right, just like the time is right for the IOC to come back. Most important is that they have the full support of our residents (is there numbers for approval percentage of residents from the 4 candidates?)