There's no "small" arena for basketball, so women's prelims in Staples?

Sounds like it. Capacity for Staples is just over 18,000. Capacity for the Forum is 17,500. So the difference there is pretty minimal and maybe the organizers figure it will be easier to set up the Forum for Gymnastics than Staples. And after gymnastics, what sport is best served getting the next largest arena? They're obviously not going to fill the place for the prelim basketball games, but where else would they put the women's prelims?

You may be in a minority on the delay in identifying the wing!

It looks more like a butterfly than an angel to me as well. Part of the issue may be the colors, though, and it may have been intentional. Maybe it is a Disney (specifically Tinkerbell) reference?

Edited by Nacre

It is a nice logo, not amazing, but nice! But it still puzzles me why every winning city feels the need to adopt a new logo for the games itself. Tokyo's candidate logo was beautiful and now they are in all sorts of problems looking for a new one. Just stick with one logo from start to finish and use it as a marketing device to create a strong and identifiable image for the games for the entire 7 year period.

Because I think the IOC wants it; and when it becomes the host city logo, there might be some kinks with the old one when linked to new TOP sponsors who were NOT associated with the brand in the Bid phase.

Actually, I also see a Diving pose for the athlete there. And I guess that's Ikarette going close to the sun. :)

Where are the Ceremony plans????????????????

Edited by baron-pierreIV

simply put, this is THE BEST bid out there, the smart and logical decision would be to award it to LA, however it was also logical to give usa the 2022 world cup and "somehow" it ended up in qatar, so i totally see this kind of scenario.

This proposal fits with their agenda 2020 like no other, no new venues, only temporary or renovations, even the olympic villages are all existing facilities!!! who else can say that they dont need to build brand new facilities???

The venues are better then others, no one else have one of the best Basketball Arenas in the world, Brand new State of the art NFL Facility (it will definitely be integrated into the bid, they already said that).Or as amazing weather as we have. Please tell me better Beach Volleyball setting then Santa Monica. The olympics are meant for southern california and thats where they end have to end up. Hopefully they will

At least beach volleyball would be played on/at an actual beach. Aren't Sydney and Rio the only 2 Olympic hosts where this was/is the case?

simply put, this is THE BEST bid out there, the smart and logical decision would be to award it to LA.

"THE BEST bid out there" is very subjective in this case, & it will be a decision made by over 100+ individuals from around the world who will have their merits & idiosyncrasies as to what THEIR "smart & logical" choice shall be.

This proposal fits with their agenda 2020 like no other, no new venues, only temporary or renovations, even the olympic villages are all existing facilities!!! who else can say that they dont need to build brand new facilities???

The Olympic Village is NOW proposed in "existing facilities" cause the L.A. bid committee finally ABADONED the original plan of the Piggyback yards cause it was going to be too COSTLY. And the argument then was that it "would've been a legacy for much needed housing in L.A. & still falls in-line with agenda 2020." It can't be both ways. So to make it sound here that L.A.'s *plan B* (cause really, that's what it is now [just how L.A. is the USOC's plan B], cause if L.A. still coulda gone with the original plan of building at the Piggyback yards, then that's what they would've done & the "existing facilities" argument would be out the window) for the village is somehow a feat over the competition is totally disingenuous to say the least.

And obviously you don't know much about the contenders, since they're also planning to use many existing stadia & facilities as well. Even IOC president Thomas Bach has mentioned that ALL four 2024 candidates "are fully inline with agenda 2020". So no one really has the upper-hand to anyone else in this aspect. Let's not forget though, that L.A. would still have to do EXTENSIVE renovations to the Coliseum, for example, which isn't going to be a minor task simply because it's already "existing".

The olympics are meant for southern california and thats where they end have to end up. Hopefully they will

Another subjective pretense. Wonder how many IOC members will feel the same. Especially the ones that could still remember 1984, as "been there, done that". I'm sure though, 2028 would be a much better fit, geopolitically. But then again, maybe the Canadians will want to get in the picture at that point, too.

Sure, just without the risk of a global epidemic or stabbing

Right, cause stabbings don't happen in L.A. And if Zika is really a "global epidemic", then you might as well forget about a 2024 Olympic Games anyway, since the world would've been wiped out by then. Sensationalism media at its best. I remember when SARS was suppose to cancel the 2008 Olympics. :-/

• Like 1

* Sorry about the F word, didn't mean to (oh, you know, temper). Anyway, LA is presenting a very strong bid. There is NO DOUBT they would host amazing games. And yet, I still would hate for them to get those Games over Paris (but you guys already know why...you know...1924...1984 (1996)). I do think Paris is presenting quite a strong bid as well. So I might not be objective here since I'm supporting the Paris bid, but I have to admit LA has became a major threat regard Paris. Que le meilleur gagne! ;)

How does this make a difference regarding performance? It's just all about fucking sand.

Well if that's the case, then why not just hold beach volleyball in a sandbox in a gym.

I thought we were talking about the setting. So, I was thinking 'oh, beach volleyball on an actual beach. How novel.'

LA%202024%27s%20temporary%20beach%20voll

insidethegames.biz

Novel or not. Does it really matter. Sounds more like semantics to me. It's not like Beach Volleyball is a marquee event at the Olympics anyway. And quite frankly, I'd say it'd actually be more "novel" in front of a global, iconic landmark than on a typical beach. Something different at least.

Well if that's the case, then why not just hold beach volleyball in a sandbox in a gym.

I thought we were talking about the setting. So, I was thinking 'oh, beach volleyball on an actual beach. How novel.'

LA%202024%27s%20temporary%20beach%20voll

insidethegames.biz

Alright then. So setting. Like I said, how about the Eiffel Tower? Yes, that's beach voleyball, but who really cares whether it's hosted at a beach or not? All you need is sand....

Alright then. So setting. Like I said, how about the Eiffel Tower? Yes, that's beach voleyball, but who really cares whether it's hosted at a beach or not? All you need is sand....

If a real beach is needed, don't worry, we've got plenty of those here in France.

Novel or not. Does it really matter. Sounds more like semantics to me. It's not like Beach Volleyball is a marquee event at the Olympics anyway. And quite frankly, I'd say it'd actually be more "novel" in front of a global, iconic landmark than on a typical beach. Something different at least.

Not to tout LA or anything, but SaMo Pier is pretty iconic and landmark-y.

I think maybe using the SantaMonicagavebirthtobeachvolleyball card would work better in this case. There are lots of places in the world that have beaches, but not all of them can call themselves the home of an Olympic sport.

No; the whole angle of putting Beach VolleyB in Santa Monica is that the game was born on the beaches of So. California - Manhattan Beach, Laguna Beach, Santa Monica, Newport Beach. So just as Athens 2004 placed the discus and the shotput events in old Olympia, and Paris is now putting (is it Filed Hockey?) back in its 1924 venue; then LA is putting Beach V where it was born. (Remember it wasn't there in 1984. And its inaugural setting in Atlanta, after they took it out of Savannah, was in an ersatz "beach" setting in suburban Atlanta). .

Edited by baron-pierreIV

* Sorry about the F word, didn't mean to (oh, you know, temper). Anyway, LA is presenting a very strong bid. There is NO DOUBT they would host amazing games. And yet, I still would hate for them to get those Games over Paris (but you guys already know why...you know...1924...1984 (1996)). I do think Paris is presenting quite a strong bid as well. So I might not be objective here since I'm supporting the Paris bid, but I have to admit LA has became a major threat regard Paris. Que le meilleur gagne! ;)

Thank you for this. I agree. I have always supported LA strongly and I am happy that their bid is starting to look stronger and more competitive. I really think it's starting to be a strong contender to Paris.

among those bids who have the least budget? LA's was low and now it's even lower with the move to UCLA and USC dorms. Staples Center is an Arena like no other, better then any other arena that hosted Basketball, if Baseball would be played then it will be probably in the iconic Dodger Stadium (though dodgers will be in season then.... ). While sure St Denis and Olimpico better stadiums then the Colliseum (Pre Rnovations), nothing will come close to the Rams stadium (like i said it will be added to the bid, maybe for ceremonies and track will stay in colliseum like this year? ) Paris have advantage with tennis just like london had and probably track cycling, but LA have more advantage with Beach Volleyball, Sailing, Rowing, Canoeing , Road Events.

Everyone have existing venues (well at least Paris and Rome), many more then rio and even london, but not as many as Los Angeles.

Having beach volleyball on Santa Monica Beach, next to the pier, is also logistically beneficial, as the Metro Expo Line (of which the final extension to Santa Monica opens this May) terminates a few blocks from Santa Monica Pier. In fact many of the proposed venues are next to public transit.

By 2024, LA's Metro Rail map will pretty much look like this:

13-2011_map_gm_underconst_may13-1.jpg

metro.net

It's no accident that the Sepulveda Basin is a proposed site of some events; it's close to the Orange Line. The Purple Line Extension, though, might not go all the way to Westwood by then... but who knows, Mayor Garcetti wants to fast-track that project.

Edited by ejaycat

simply put, this is THE BEST bid out there, the smart and logical decision would be to award it to LA, however it was also logical to give usa the 2022 world cup and "somehow" it ended up in qatar, so i totally see this kind of scenario.

The venues are better then others, no one else have one of the best Basketball Arenas in the world, Brand new State of the art NFL Facility (it will definitely be integrated into the bid, they already said that).Or as amazing weather as we have. Please tell me better Beach Volleyball setting then Santa Monica. The olympics are meant for southern california and thats where they end have to end up. Hopefully they will

Sure, just without the risk of a global epidemic or stabbing

And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a totally american person.

• Like 3