Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing you LA boosters just can't seem to understand is that the IOC only cares about what the host city will do for "the Olympic movement." The sports federations are not interested in urban devel

Sigh! I've tried not to get too involved in the tit-for-tatting in the whole LA debate. And tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and allow that you're a passionate and blinkered supporter of LA

I am struck by the statement that "there is no reason to attack LA." There is no reason to attack any city or any people in any city. This is the horror of terrorism. Whichever city wins any Olympi

So looks like securing 2 summer Olympic games in one session is looking more and more likely. Well that's just terrible. Don't they realize they'll be robbing Toronto's opportunity of press coverage when they once again decide not to put forth a bid days before the deadline? 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

reading some press articles and tweets, no everything is great in La La Land after all (As opposed of rose vision glasses), considering some angelinos are having strong criticism against Garcetti and his administration (And not only classical trump-fans but also from liberals). It looks like a cosmic karma.

That'll be the fun of an early 2028 award- four extra years for politicking over the Olympic commitment.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That'll be the fun of an early 2028 award- four extra years for politicking over the Olympic commitment.

100% right. And if Garcetti is smart, he can manage this as his full victory while rejecting his issues for administration (Especially with the worrisome growth of homeless people and dubious constructions in recent years).

However remember the previous talk of "how the angelinos had the Olympics in their DNA", "No opposition for Olympics", "How California can show another USA without using federal resources",  "Garcetti had no opposition", "The LA Olympics will make BILLIONS (Not just profit)!!!", "How the French are bad hommes and desperates for the village while everything in LA is spot on" and similar arguments (From the same sources thought). In a full trend it was like watching every Abrahamson's argument (And stan) falling hard like a Jenga construction and leaving no single piece.

With this point remarked, I think Los Angeles will be a great host. And they definetely pull off the effort of making a third time charming experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think LA taking 2028 with the extra $$$ and having the IOC fund it's city wide youth programs in the years leading up to the Games is as awesome fucking deal if you ask me.

If that is the case, let Paris take the 24 Games, I am happy the kids of LA will have a steady stream of $$$ for youth programs for years to come.

If Garcetti can get the guarantee from the IOC of the additional funding and budget, I say, do it.



 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Roger87 said:

100% right. And if Garcetti is smart, he can manage this as his full victory while rejecting his issues for administration (Especially with the worrisome growth of homeless people and dubious constructions in recent years).

However remember the previous talk of "how the angelinos had the Olympics in their DNA", "No opposition for Olympics", "How California can show another USA without using federal resources",  "Garcetti had no opposition", "The LA Olympics will make BILLIONS (Not just profit)!!!", "How the French are bad hommes and desperates for the village while everything in LA is spot on" and similar arguments (From the same sources thought). In a full trend it was like watching every Abrahamson's argument (And stan) falling hard like a Jenga construction and leaving no single piece.

With this point remarked, I think Los Angeles will be a great host. And they definetely pull off the effort of making a third time charming experience.

There was a lot of truth to what Abrahamson was saying. He was right about a lot of what he said, especially in regards to the United States.

And what he said would ring true for 2024 (especially after these last few months) and will likely be true for 2028.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

He was too busy writing his latest diatribe on the sport of track and field to make note of this.  That article actually got a number of comments, most of which telling Alan he's a schmuck, although my personal favorite..

Darth Nogus says:

u r sucha dork

 

9 hours ago, Roger87 said:

LMFAO, what a great shade after Abrahamson's lies :D

Another good one from that comment section, which rings so true: 

Barry Irwin says:

"This is a case of a writer coming up with a clever lead and loving his cleverness so much he decided to turn it into a story. It’s like making a movie out of a one-line joke. Hey, and speaking of jokes, this entire column is one."

^The last line is so ironic, cuz it can be dubbed - "the Rocky Horror Picture 'column'!" And so much for his "noteriety" :lol:

Although, I'm rather disappointed that he didn't seethingly "write" about the double-award deal in the works, favoring Paris 2024/L.A. 2028 (at least not yet anyway). But him going off tangent all of the sudden in his "blog" is quite funny, too. To use Latin's meme here - 

giphy.gif

 

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Or is it hosting in 2028, which certainly involves some recalculations, but comes with a bonus of "hey, here's a few hundred million dollars for your troubles" from the IOC.  

Not to mention the $60 million that L.A. won't have to fork over for another (2028) bid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's wrong with this Gamesbids system?  The past posts won't come up.  But I was right.  The IOC has to bribe LA to accept 2028 politely.  Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.  Youth Games and I guess having the Org Committee going for another 4 years (I'd say that would mean paying 4 staffers).  So $500K for the Youth Games and say, $150K each year to pay some staffers.  For $650K x 4 years = $2.6 mil; Boy, that's cheap!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2017 at 9:29 PM, josejose50 said:

Lastly, I'm not buying the whole "it would help the movement to have the games back in Europe again". 

You don't have to buy it. But (much more importantly) Thomas Bach does; citing that Europe is too important to them to simply ignore. And considering how many European bids have told the IOC to take a hike lately, the IOC would be sending the wrong message if the last strong European bid left standing was told 'no thanks'.

17 hours ago, josejose50 said:

Past our discussions yesterday when the story broke, my original question is still out there "What incentives can the IOC offer LA to accept 2028?" 

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/05/31/72368/garcetti-confirms-la-in-talks-to-host-2028-olympic/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FYI said:

^Pfft, please. It was mainly L.A. hyperbole & "downplaying" (& sometimes just outright lies) in regards to Paris' bid.

This. Hyperboling LA while dismissing (at even expenses of lies or alternative facts) against Paris. Like the nasty "Rocky Horror Show" article, the 2028 European return or the fight of power between Hidalgo and Macron for no other reasons, even when there were photos of them working together beside their differences just after the presidential inauguration, which was corrected by press more related to IOC.

The most valuable point of this is Abrahamson's lack of credibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

I think LA taking 2028 with the extra $$$ and having the IOC fund it's city wide youth programs in the years leading up to the Games is as awesome fucking deal if you ask me.

If that is the case, let Paris take the 24 Games, I am happy the kids of LA will have a steady stream of $$$ for youth programs for years to come.

If Garcetti can get the guarantee from the IOC of the additional funding and budget, I say, do it.

I agree it's an outstanding deal, one that probably benefits LA in the long term moreso than if they were to simply beat out Paris for 2024.  Take the money and run.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

I agree it's an outstanding deal, one that probably benefits LA in the long term moreso than if they were to simply beat out Paris for 2024.  Take the money and run.

That's L.A.'s "surplus". :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RuFF said:

For the record I am ok with Los Angeles 2028. Los Angeles, at its core has the Olympic Values present and amongst those values are not being a poor loser and just as important to be

20 minutes ago, RuFF said:

I am ok with 2028, too. Especially with the funding of citywide sports programs. These same kids will grow up and compete in 2028. Also, this is how the narrative in California became pro Olympic and it would reinforce that narrative and the Olympic brand. 

The Olympic brand and Olympic values aren't worth much these days.  If you're talking about what this will do for youth sports in LA, then yes, I agree 100% you're correct.  That was the legacy of 1984 and could definitely be the legacy of these Olympics.  It's a great deal for them and if this is what the IOC is offering them, they should embrace it.  Absolutely no reason at this point to continue to take shots at Paris, less LA be considered a sore winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Oh, & neither is Putin. Lmfao

Of course one will have to just get used to the idea of a another LA games, what can one do? At lease it sounds like LA is once again in a position to negotiate terms and get paid. Hey we got out of one bad deal today, you can't win them all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, josejose50 said:

If the IOC considers a 12+ year gap as an issue for Europe, then a 28 year gap in North America is ridiculous.

European IOC voters/members: 41

North American IOC voters/members: 6 (3 Canada, 3 USA)

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

The Olympic brand and Olympic values aren't worth much these days.  If you're talking about what this will do for youth sports in LA, then yes, I agree 100% you're correct.  That was the legacy of 1984 and could definitely be the legacy of these Olympics.  It's a great deal for them and if this is what the IOC is offering them, they should embrace it.  Absolutely no reason at this point to continue to take shots at Paris, less LA be considered a sore winner.

As far as I’ve read, I don’t remember anyone officially involved in the LA bid taking shots at Paris. There are soundbites about the other city here and there with obvious inferences comparing themselves against the other. But that applies to both sides and it’s mostly fluff made into something bigger by journalists. For the most part, the process has lacked drama. Journalists and individual commenters, of course, can be opinionated and provocative, but....the internet... 

8 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

I think LA taking 2028 with the extra $$$ and having the IOC fund it's city wide youth programs in the years leading up to the Games is as awesome fucking deal if you ask me.

If that is the case, let Paris take the 24 Games, I am happy the kids of LA will have a steady stream of $$$ for youth programs for years to come.

If Garcetti can get the guarantee from the IOC of the additional funding and budget, I say, do it.



 

Depends on how much for youth programs. We’ll see. The significant incentive is really the potentially 300(?) million in IOC contributions, and maybe even a bigger slice of the IOC/USOC revenue pie if negotiations are in LA’s favor. In 2028, LA has time to breathe even with delays to the LAX and UCLA rail lines. Even better, the SF to LA high-speed rail line (64 billion project!) is expected that year which would open LA up to a whole other level of intrastate traveling, assuming they can fast track it to offset the inevitable roadblocks. 

 

 

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Oh, & neither is Putin. Lmfao

Of the crazy wise words of the Disqus commenter, Wong Ka Wok, who warned Paris and LA to beware the actions of Vladimir Putin, and for which readers likely rationally ignored....he was right!

https://disqus.com/by/wongkalok/

Russia Considers 2028 Olympic Bid Amid Confirmation That Los Angeles Is Negotiating For Those Games

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FYI said:

^Trump Putin's puppet? Nahhh! :lol: 

Well, that's nipticking to the obvious :D but then we have paul saying Macron confronting Putin as the same Trump. I mean, even this is reaching contrarian wanabee at most of his levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...