Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FYI said:

And go figure, another 'American journalist' is "alinging" (more like drinking the kool-aide) with AbraTwatson. But what's funny there, is that even towards the end of all that doom-&-gloom drivel if L.A. is not chosen "first", is that this Hersch even says towards the end of his AA infused rhetoric is that BOTH bids are "excellent".

Well, if that's the case, then there's no real issue here. But of course these "veteran" *American* sports writers wanna claim objectivity when at the same time clearly spewing self-entitled bias. Besides, all of Hersch's arguments (which really is just Abrahamson regurgitation) have already been "debunked". So nothing new here, except for "dizzy L.A. queens" who eat it all up a la cart.

 

Four years ago, change the scenario from American writers to Spaniards and the result is still the same. The Spanish press was of course being impartial with Madrid 2020. Remember all the long articles from the Spanish press which mentioned how the IOC loved Madrid and keep the 51 voters on the pocket? This is equal. And like you said, even Hisch ended also remarking Paris bid as an strong contender.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

Four years ago, change the scenario from American writers to Spaniards and the result is still the same. The Spanish press was of course being impartial with Madrid 2020. Remember all the long articles from the Spanish press which mentioned how the IOC loved Madrid and keep the 51 voters on the pocket? This is equal.

Yep, I also remember when the IOC EC visited Toronto for 2008, & many Canadians were saying then that "they really, really love us (meaning the IOC) They really do!" Well, we know how that one turned out, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Yep, I also remember when the IOC EC visited Toronto for 2008, & many Canadians were saying then that "they really, really love us (meaning the IOC) They really do!" Well, we know how that one turned out, too.

Oh, yes - "We beat Paris, and we're a democracy, anti China" narrative. But then the Toronto major didn't help either...

Anyway, TRuff has followed a huge level of desperation and trying hard, using names like David Miller, which was always part of the team LA 2024 since the beginning of the race as a verifable proof, or the French letter (By Abrahamson, no less) which was mostly an academic advise of opposition with zero value politically speaking (Then we may use the recent Anti-IOC group in LA as weakness for USA as the same measure). 

But isn't it quite funny in highsight how the new defense is "All of you are drama queens, while Abrahamson -Or X- has long experience in journalism". Ha, first as it hasn't biased or false journalism. Bill O'Reilly had years of experience, books and articles and still it doesn't dismiss the prospect of being a really biased journalist in certain aspects (If any case, many times). As if people here (Some people here) have YEARS watching the races, and also some of these people have experience working in international organizations, universities, media or even as part of local government. Ex: baron or mr. bernhard. Other people have college degrees with special teams. As a long way of the process people can learn and we have differences, but this constant childish attitude when the arguments are gone is only a part of a lack of awareness.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know that the IOC will always say that the city they are visiting is amazing, but I have to admit, it looks like LA really hit it out of the ballpark.

I am in Marseille at the moment and in some of the French outlets here there appears to be concerns for the first time that LA may get 24 and Paris 28, even with Macron being sworn in on Day 1 of the IOC visit.

My crappy wifi connection is depressingly slow, but as soon as I am in Paris (Wednesday) I will post them up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not gonna happen.  Things will be righted when they visit gay Paree next week. 

I agree Paris will step it up, but from multiple sources it appears the biggest draw bacm for Paris is their very expensive Village.

It will be down to the wire, but the French now know that LA means it when they say "low risk" bid. 

Even the French are impressed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, the Village is going through regardless of the Olympics. It's part of Paris' urban development in the coming years. So IDK why it's always being associated as a negative by the L.A. camp, since L.A. is going to use other public works with their bid. But then again, I guess it's the only thing that they can pin as a negative against Paris 2024 to try & elevate themselves. But the EC will be much smarter in seeing what's actually taking place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FYI said:

Again, the Village is going through regardless of the Olympics. It's part of Paris' urban development in the coming years. So IDK why it's always being associated as a negative by the L.A. camp, since L.A. is going to use other public works with their bid. But then again, I guess it's the only thing that they can pin as a negative against Paris 2024 to try & elevate themselves. But the EC will be much smarter in seeing what's actually taking place. 

This will be the cloesest race ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FYI said:

^Closer than the 1956 summer race, where the winner was determined by only one vote? Extremely doubtful.

If any case, as mr. bernhard mentioned weeks ago, this can end as another 2012 race with 4 votes, but now switching sides. Which one has the press' best technical bid and which one will bring the human and charismatic leadership aspect?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Funny I should find this right now, I'm actually at the airport headed to Mexico City. Soccer prelims potentially to be held in Mexico should Los Angeles be selected to host the 2024 Olympics. 

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1050306/mexico-could-stage-football-preliminary-matches-if-los-angeles-awarded-2024-olympics

it would be a nice lead up to the 2026 World Cup.

This is even impossible. Not only for the rules from IOC, but also US Soccer won't allow that. Like baron said, Garcetti seems to promise impossible things to keep the Latin American vote safe lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

The president might suck but California and Los Angeles are their own brand and can choose to flex the brand while playing down another, in this case as it relates to President Trump.

For better or for worse, even in the United States California and anything West of the Rockies has a strong US and that international identity.

They can choose to show what they want.  Much like with you, the IOC may choose to see what they want to see, regardless of what's presented in front of them.  And considering the bid is still relying on a billion dollars in federal funding for security, there's no way to completely avoid a connection with the government and its current leader.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, zekekelso said:

In other words, if you only count some of the expense (but of course include all the revenue) you break even. 

The construction costs only matter for the things cities build.

Consider Barcelona. They already had most of the competition venues before bidding for the games in 1992. They spent a lot of money on their metro system, the airport, artificial beaches, cruise docks, etc. But these things were designed to benefit locals and the tourism industry rather than just the Olympics.

The IOC has a lot of faults, but it is not fair to blame the Olympics for the stupidity and corruption of politicians and sporting federations. What happened in Sochi should not make us forget that Vancouver's expenses were tolerable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

They can choose to show what they want.  Much like with you, the IOC may choose to see what they want to see, regardless of what's presented in front of them.  And considering the bid is still relying on a billion dollars in federal funding for security, there's no way to completely avoid a connection with the government and its current leader.

And still Los Angeles and California depends of the permissions, security and transport (Among other things with the federal government. California may show a different image whatever they want, but for a tenth time, unless a Calexit happens before September or the rest of USA disappears to the sea, California is still part of the USA and the bid represents the USA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, A-Money1983 said:

1.  If I may ask, why is it LA seems more open to a 2028 hosting than Paris?

2.  I get that LA would be three-up on Paris should it win, '32, '84, possibly '2024. 

1.  Maybe because they are becoming more realistic?

2. 3-up?  What are you talking about?  Paris would be 1900, 1924 and 2024. So?? :blink:  LA would be more like, 1932 (Ruff's Games), 1984 and 2028.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, A-Money1983 said:

If I may ask, why is it LA seems more open to a 2028 hosting than Paris?

I get that LA would be three-up on Paris should it win, '32, '84, possibly '2024. 

Perhaps because LA's bid relies on venues where there is no real timetable.  Whereas Paris is centered more about their village plans which are more specific to 2024.  That, plus Paris has been here before.  So I get the mindset where if they were to lose here, it would be tough for them to pick themselves up off the mat and try again.  Contrast that with LA which has been pursuing another Olympics for years and seems more likely to keep at it until they win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nacre said:

The construction costs only matter for the things cities build.

Consider Barcelona. They already had most of the competition venues before bidding for the games in 1992. They spent a lot of money on their metro system, the airport, artificial beaches, cruise docks, etc. But these things were designed to benefit locals and the tourism industry rather than just the Olympics.

The IOC has a lot of faults, but it is not fair to blame the Olympics for the stupidity and corruption of politicians and sporting federations. What happened in Sochi should not make us forget that Vancouver's expenses were tolerable.

That's the thing.  It's impossible to measure the long term benefits of construction projects when they're tied to the Olympics and you're looking at the immediate returns.  Even if a city like a Sydney or a London can't claim profits that exceed the costs directly related to an Olympics, there is still revenue being generated after the Olympics that can't be discounted.  I know a lot of the narrative surrounding this bid is a lot of "to build or not to build" and the idea of public versus private financing.  Big projects like an Olympic village are always ripe for corruption, but if they are projects done right (which is far from the norm), they can make sense for a city.  The problem - as you alluded to - lies where the IOC and the sport federations get involved and now it's about doing what's best for them rather than doing right by the city.  In other words.. doing what Agenda 2020 is supposed to accomplish.

That LA is using college dorms versus newly built housing isn't necessarily a major advantage for their bid, depending on the point of view.  Does it lessen the risk of having cost overruns and other issues?  Of course it does.  But the flipside of that is that a housing project can be an excellent legacy if it's executed properly.  Again, much easier said than done, but let's remember that this is still the IOC we're talking about here.  The same argument that says take LA's pre-existing housing over the risks of a plan involving new development can just as easily be flipped into take Paris's plan where the Olympics will leave a tangible legacy whereas LA's might not in that regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...