Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Things that have no bearing on what city will be selected to host the Olympics.. the number of likes on their social media accounts. 

This is one of those stories that in the moment seems like it might be significant, but will soon be forgotten about and dismisses as irrelevant.

 

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

At this point that story has deflated and is pretty much originating in French media. It's a shame though because this story has the potential to backfire. I think Taco Bell had a scandal like this erupt where the company was accused of selling fake beef only to increase their brand when the food was 100% beef. In the case of LA it may be a negative side effect of their international marketing, but it speaks to LA's ability to reach global audiences, if even with minimal content in developing countries. If the promotional marketing was indeed purchased from Facebook for Facebook and this resulted in this anomaly of sorts, it would be the French who are practicing poor sportsmanship and in their media pretty much doing some cheating of their own. And while the media is not bound by the rules of the bid committees, I'm not sure this would look too great for the French bid in general. 

But let's back up. The perfectly run marketing of LA2024 is dropping the ball on Facebook likes? You're going to have to be from France to buy into that story. 

And you have to be from La La Land (or perhaps another planet) to refer to the marketing of LA2024 as "perfectly run."  Do you actually believe that?  They've been perfect and nothing has gone the slightest bit wrong?  We know you like to complain that any hint of imperfection on the part of LA makes that person a Paris cheerleader.  Maybe take a look in the mirror and see how you're reacting to this non-story and realize now isn't the time to tell us how perfect LA is.  That said, here's a toast..

db302c162624f27497e68ef40e7dc932_-meme-t

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

So i guess you're saying you don't agree that LA24 has run a finely tuned marketing machine. To each their own, but you're on your own there.

I like how you think "finely tuned marketing machine" is the same as "perfectly run marketing."  I've said repeatedly that the LA2024 committee is doing an excellent job.  You know I've said that and yet you choose to ignore it.  We know the selective deafness is working hard with you, but don't pretend like things are so ideal and perfect that if there's a tiny flaw out there, you want to pretend like it doesn't exist.  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Heu...there might be more to be built in LA than in Paris. The difference is that it is outsourced in LA whereas is is all included in Paris (clearly listed in Bid File 2: $ 3.2 Billion).

Here is the list I can think about for LA (not considering temporary venues), and certaily some other items missing(can someone complete the list?):

  • Hollywood Parc stadium
  • LFC stadium
  • Coliseum renovation
  • 4000 beds at the OV

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

It's pretty insane that the IOC evaluation committee will be visiting a nearly completely existing LA2024 bid. I wonder if this has ever happened in the history of the Olympic Movement. 

Heu...there might be more to be built in LA than in Paris. The difference is that it is outsourced in LA whereas is is all included in Paris (clearly listed in Bid File 2: $ 3.2 Billion).

Here is the list I can think about for LA (not considering temporary venues), and certaily some other items missing(can someone complete the list?):

  • Hollywood Parc stadium
  • LFC stadium
  • Coliseum renovation
  • 4000 beds at the OV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the bidbook, it is writen:

"and a further 2,085 new housing rooms with 4,169 beds are currently planned by the university. UCLA will manage this development process and the associated financing during a construction period from 2020 to 2023. LA 2024 will be responsible for the construction and staging of temporary overlay, ensuring that these facilities exceed the expectations of all athletes."

and here: http://coliseumrenovation.com/news

"Last year, USC announced plans to renovate and restore the Coliseum.  The estimated $270 million renovation, privately funded by USC, will begin after the 2017 Trojan football season and will be completed for the 2019 home opener."

Are these dates correct?

(it's not easy to find in the bid book all the construction works that are needed, the costs and dates...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, neige said:

and here: http://coliseumrenovation.com/news

"Last year, USC announced plans to renovate and restore the Coliseum.  The estimated $270 million renovation, privately funded by USC, will begin after the 2017 Trojan football season and will be completed for the 2019 home opener."

Are these dates correct?

(it's not easy to find in the bid book all the construction works that are needed, the costs and dates...)

Those dates are correct, but that's for the Coliseum renovation.  The overlay for an athletics track is a completely separate project and has it's own budget of $300 million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with the UCLA and USC (or most US dorms for that matter) is that they really aren't centrally located vs. other purpose-built OVs.  What I mean is that the dorm bldgs in big universities like USC and UCLA sprout wherever there is room to place them -- thus, from a centralized, streamlined, easy-to-secure grouping, they are hard to secure.  Together with the other bldgs in use by the universities, they make for a hodge-podge layout; and placing centralized dining halls is a big problem.  Thus, while the basic structure is there, it's only a slight advantage vs. a built-from-scratch communities like other non-US Olympics wherein the new OV's add new housing stock for the host city. 

So, if I were to rate the UCLA OV and USC-Media Village concepts vs. Paris' plan, I would probably just add 15% to my weighting of this component of the Games.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, neige said:

Heu...there might be more to be built in LA than in Paris. The difference is that it is outsourced in LA whereas is is all included in Paris (clearly listed in Bid File 2: $ 3.2 Billion).

Here is the list I can think about for LA (not considering temporary venues), and certaily some other items missing(can someone complete the list?):

  • Hollywood Parc stadium
  • LFC stadium
  • Coliseum renovation
  • 4000 beds at the OV

Both new stadiums are 100% independent of the bid. 

They are being built for three new teams, Olympics or not.

You cannot even begin to somehow associate them to an Olympic budget.

"Outsourced" they are not. They are their own projects entirely.

 

The coliseum renovation is, however, included in the bid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

 

 

The coliseum renovation is, however, included in the bid.

No it is not.

There are two different topics when it comes to the Coliseum:

  • the planned rennovation by USC (irrespective of the Games) for which a budget of $300 million is foreseen -> this is not included in the bid as -just for like the other venues to be built as well as the expension of UCLA accommodation or the construction of the IBC- it is not bid dependant and therefore not included in the $5.3 billion budget
  • the temporary installation of an athletics track, for about $100 million that is included in the budget.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2017 at 5:29 AM, Rob. said:

This is a bit of a grey area. If LA has bulk bought likes that's pretty much cheating if they're going around boasting about the number they have. If they've used dark-arts of targetting low ad-spend regions hoping to generate a lot of 'background-noise' likes that's a clever way of boosting numbers and not cheating at all. However, they may have lost sight of what social media is for if their main strategy is a numbers game, rather than engaging with people who might be interested in what you've got to say. That may not matter if a big number impresses the IOC enough, of course. I doubt many of them understand the technology well enough to be able to make those kind of distinctions. But if LA does win, I'd hope to see a smarter strategy going forward, because that's what their bid is promising to deliver.

Social media IS a numbers game. How many likes, followers, reposts, tags, etc. can we get? It's all about the numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mr.bernham said:

Social media IS a numbers game. How many likes, followers, reposts, tags, etc. can we get? It's all about the numbers.

No, it's not. Anyone can get big numbers, it's whether those numbers are converted to extra sales and engagement which is key. Ten thousand good followers built up over a long period is far more describable than 100,000 followers who don't act on any of your posts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pure facts said:

No it is not.

There are two different topics when it comes to the Coliseum:

  • the planned rennovation by USC (irrespective of the Games) for which a budget of $300 million is foreseen -> this is not included in the bid as -just for like the other venues to be built as well as the expension of UCLA accommodation or the construction of the IBC- it is not bid dependant and therefore not included in the $5.3 billion budget
  • the temporary installation of an athletics track, for about $100 million that is included in the budget.

$270 million is the number for the USC renovation.  As you noted, it is completely irrespective of the Olympics.  $300 million is what's in the budget for the Olympics to cover the athletics track, among other enhancements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

$270 million is the number for the USC renovation.  As you noted, it is completely irrespective of the Olympics.  $300 million is what's in the budget for the Olympics to cover the athletics track, among other enhancements.

The $30 million difference is obviously for the installation of the platform for the track and its dismantling after the Paralympics.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paris is sounding like a huge baby. Desperate. Give them the damn game or we will never hear the end of their complaining. LA is better to stay far away from this broken europrise. 

......I love how the new stadium in LA is now being lumped into LAs budget. It's all just too good to be true.....a free state of the art "extra" stadium....just cuz. No fuss no muss. The LA team is making it look easy, while the Paris team is letting their sweat show. 

Edited by paul
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The $30 million difference is obviously for the installation of the platform for the track and its dismantling after the Paralympics.  

No, not even close.  USC is spending $270 million of their money on the Coliseum for USC and no one else.  They've been trying to put that project together for themselves for years.  The timing of it that there is an Olympic bid going on right now is 100% coincidental.

The $300 million in the Olympic budget is a completely separate entity.  That's for the Olympic-specific functions, as you noted to handle track & field.  That's in addition to the $270 million from USC, not part of the same budget.  So in the end, $570 million will be spent on the Coliseum (that is, if they get the Olympics).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

No, not even close.  USC is spending $270 million of their money on the Coliseum for USC and no one else.  They've been trying to put that project together for themselves for years.  The timing of it that there is an Olympic bid going on right now is 100% coincidental.

The $300 million in the Olympic budget is a completely separate entity.  That's for the Olympic-specific functions, as you noted to handle track & field.  That's in addition to the $270 million from USC, not part of the same budget.  So in the end, $570 million will be spent on the Coliseum (that is, if they get the Olympics).

Oh, so LA 2024/28 is throwing in another $300 mil for its own uses.  Gotcha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, so LA 2024/28 is throwing in another $300 mil for its own uses.  Gotcha. 

Exactly.  The $300 million is essentially for the organizing committee to take over the stadium, do whatever they need to it, and then return it to USC.  Completely separate from the $270 million in renovations from funding raised by USC for them to upgrade the stadium for Trojans football.  They're pushing through with that with or without the Olympics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2017 at 8:44 AM, JO2024 said:

Very interesting article. It's in French but it might be easy to translate. It explains in a very clear and constructive way why it's unlikely LA2024 got so many likes without "cheating".  

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2017/04/06/sur-les-reseaux-sociaux-les-chiffres-tres-gonfles-de-la-candidature-olympique-de-los-angeles_5107066_4408996.html

Stuff like this, the French media going after LA's bid does not make Paris look good.

I was suspicious of this too at first, but in reality, this was a strategic move that yielded very high results.

The LA 2024 group targeted markets where they would have little to no competition on platforms where they could get maximum exposure. Hence Pakistan, Nepal, etc.

100K likes in countries for 30-40 million is not that hard to believe, and with no advertisement competition from other products or companies, the LA 2024 got maximum exposure on Facebook.

It really is stupid for the media to cry over this because LA already had almost 4 times more followers before their international campaign even began. 200+K vs Paris' 60+K.

LA played their cars right and nailed it landing a huge number of followers, and as mentioned on numerous sites, ads on Facebook can ONLY be bought directly through Facebook, not some 3rd party service or "Bots"

Cheap shot by the French. Did they learn nothing from their 2012 campaign? Focus on your own bid and stop giving free media plug ins to your competition. France essentially gave LA more visibility. They need to focus on Paris.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:


The LA 2024 group targeted markets where they would have little to no competition on platforms where they could get maximum exposure. Hence Pakistan, Nepal, etc.

100K likes in countries for 30-40 million is not that hard to believe, and with no advertisement competition from other products or companies, the LA 2024 got maximum exposure on Facebook.

It really is stupid for the media to cry over this because LA already had almost 4 times more followers before their international campaign even began. 200+K vs Paris' 60+K.

LA played their cars right and nailed it landing a huge number of followers, and as mentioned on numerous sites, ads on Facebook can ONLY be bought directly through Facebook, not some 3rd party service or "Bots"
 

That's why this is a non-issue.  Who *cares* how many likes a facebook page got?  It really only boosts the ego/egos of the person/people who created the page.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, paul said:

Paris is sounding like a huge baby. Desperate. Give them the damn game or we will never hear the end of their complaining. LA is better to stay far away from this broken europrise. 

......I love how the new stadium in LA is now being lumped into LAs budget. It's all just too good to be true.....a free state of the art "extra" stadium....just cuz. No fuss no muss. The LA team is making it look easy, while the Paris team is letting their sweat show. 

What acid are you tripping on.  There's someone who starts with a 'p' here that sounds like a huge baby, but it's not Paris.  You really think Paris is sweating right now because of all this nonsense?  It's background noise.  A week from no, no one will remember or care about how many Facebook likes LA has or how Paris reacted to it.  Except for herpes.  It'll come back, to be sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

That's why this is a non-issue.  Who *cares* how many likes a facebook page got?  It really only boosts the ego/egos of the person/people who created the page.

Thank you.  Negative fucks should be given about this.  If a bunch of people in Pakistan hit like on LA's Facebook page, does that mean anything?  It mean nothing.  Noth-iiiiiiiiiiiing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are confusing the French media with the Paris 2024 bid committee (which haven't even made any comment about this), & thus making mountains outta molehills when you're the ones going on & on about it.

It's like when L.A. was making a big stink about Paris 2024 "stealing the sun" nonsense. Why wasn't L.A. just "focusing" on L.A. about that instead of whining that their marketing was being "stolen" somehow. Talk about double standards.

All of this will mean diddly squat come September anyway. The IOC is not going to care one bit that L.A. got a whole bunch of likes on Facebook in the Asian sub-continent, no matter how much you guys want to rave about something so trivial as this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

What acid are you tripping on.  There's someone who starts with a 'p' here that sounds like a huge baby, but it's not Paris.  You really think Paris is sweating right now because of all this nonsense?  It's background noise. 

Lmfao exactly - & I just don't get paul at all. I mean he consistently says that he's SOOOOO against the Olympics & the IOC & all that they stand for, but yet he still gets his panties all in a bind whenever someone "downplays" (according to him) L.A. in this race.

It goes back to the guy who can't stand the fat girl rejection, when clearly (or at least so they say), they're not interested in said fat girl whatsoever, but yet are still irked that how dare the fat girl not want him anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

A week from no, no one will remember or care about how many Facebook likes LA has or how Paris reacted to it.  Except for herpes.  It'll come back, to be sure.

Yep - & "jesse". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...