Nothing I am saying LA should do is a response to what Paris does. I am saying LA should flaunt what it has. Moving away from the technical LA has the ability to connect with youth. LA has the ability to connect with surfing, skateboarders, rock climbers. LA is highly and increasingly connected with younger audiences. LA is connected with cost effective games. That Olympic brand has moved away from sport and been high jacked by their economics. LA can control that conversation. Note nothing about beach volleyball at the foot of the Santa Monica Pier, though iconic in its own right. Note nothing about cycling on the Sunset Strip or by the Hollywood sign. This isn't a race as to who has the prettier city or iconic venues. That's your conversation, not so much mine. Mine is seeing the current state of the Olympics and engaging in it. Rio did that. The games wanted to see new places, they put up a map. Stole the conversation without any mention of the other host cities. It resonated.

You keep talking about wanting to control the conversation. Do you think the conversation going on here (which is largely you advocating for LA with no one to represent the other cities) will resemble the actual IOC vote in any way? What you're offering is a completely 1-sided conversation. Of course you're controlling that because you're the only one participating it. What happens when someone from Paris or Rome or Budapest is presenting arguments for their city rather than you trying to present their arguments for them. Little different Rio pulling out the map (a statement which required no explanation or context, it completely stood on its own) and all these talking points about LA. That takes time to develop and unless you think the other cities will just sit there and watch, they'll get a turn too.

So will this all be a conversation they can control? This isn't about how we go about business here. How will the IOC do it? That's all that matters. Surfers, skateboarders, and rock climbers aren't voters in the IOC. The people LA has to connect with is those voters. Can the LA committee convince those voters that they can connect with youth? Is that even the key to winning this? You're darn right the Olympic brand is a lot about economics and politics. That's nothing new. Been that way for decades. And it's probably going to continue that way. THAT is the context you need to look at. Not the ideal-for-LA scenario where what you presume they're selling aligns perfectly with what the IOC is buying. To say nothing of Paris' ability to accomplish that as well.

This is what I'm talking about. I'd bet LA 24 is counting on mindsets like this one and complacency in Paris. It hands them control of the conversation. It would be wise of LA 24 to prolong this conversation by educating them about LA one or two projects at a time.

If that's what they're counting on, what happens if Paris isn't complacent? Does Paris not get to educate as well? You can't keep making this straw man argument where you're imagining the ideal circumstances for LA as if the other cities are just background noise. If that's what it will take LA to win, maybe it says something about their chances to win.

Well, that's why the title is Los Angeles 2024. You guys are welcome to make the arguments for whichever city you'd like. However, pointing out costs and the vast majority of the arguments have lacked any real understanding of the current state of LA

Just don't come back. You're just a woman anyhow. Lol

I may like my butt being plowed like a vagina from time to time, but that doesn't make me a woman.

• Like 1

Well, that's why the title is Los Angeles 2024. You guys are welcome to make the arguments for whichever city you'd like. However, pointing out costs and the vast majority of the arguments have lacked any real understanding of the current state of LA

Pointing out story after story about LA lacks any real understanding of Olympic bidding. Or how not to be an annoying Internet troll..

We get it. You have a seemingly endless laundry list of talking points about LA that you seem to think anyone here actually gives 2 shits about. For some odd reason, you seem to think all of this matters. It doesn't. If this is your idea of controlling the conversation, you should work more on trying to control the verbal diarrhea coming from your keyboard.

• Like 1

And a certain L.A. cheerleeding trollette just needs to go back to their cave.

I'm not normally into comparisons/analogies, but I think 1 applies here.. RuFF is LA's answer to TeamRik of Boston fame (who sadly did not stick around for his city's eventual demise, which would have been a lot of fun)

• Like 1

I'm not normally into comparisons/analogies, but I think 1 applies here.. RuFF is LA's answer to TeamRik of Boston fame (who sadly did not stick around for his city's eventual demise, which would have been a lot of fun)

Good grief, that weirdo! Yes, you're right. The two are/were extremely similar in their anal-drivel, bombastic rhetoric for "their city". Here's hoping like "teamrik", maybe this one will slither away soon, too.

We haven't "contributed" to this thread bcuz no one here is willing to drink the L.A. flavored kool-aid that you so desperately just want to serve up here. In case you missed it, as another poster put it last night, you haven't been able to convince anyone of us to agree with you no matter how hard you want to shove your L.A. mumbo-jumbo in our faces. So therefore since we won't, you call it as not 'contributing'. Go figure. You haven't provided any facts or evidence to support YOUR "opinion". Just nothing but pure hyperbole, & when we call you out on it, you get childish & petty & resort to some insults. How adult & professional-wannabe of you.

And just so you know, a lot of us here do care to read up on what goes on in this thread. But last time I checked, we're also able to disagree with whatever opinion (& in your case, bombastic claims & rhetoric) anyone posts on here. So if you don't like that & just want your own personal L.A. cheerleading squad, then you're gonna have to go somewhere else for it, cuz you ain't gonna find it here. Go start your own short-sighted facebook page or something of the like if that's what you're really looking for.

Cross your fingers FYI. In the mean time why don't you guys go to a thread you actually care about. Regardless of what you guys think of me personally, you haven't contributed at all to this thread.

47bc28bdff9a89a700d39a515b1c4abf90ad0e3f

Most of us were here in this thread before you came in to turn it into 1 long endless promotional video for Los Angeles. That's nice except it's completely ignorant of all the geo-political elements that go into an Olympic bid. Which maybe you would know a little more about if you didn't pick 1 and only 1 thread to "contribute" to (I use that word loosely) instead of what you claim to do with other threads..

135ac10bbc12fe69225dcd3f1909343b288c2341

These Angelinos make me really hope Donald Trump wins and shows up to vouch for the US and insult every nation there so LA looses...God, I hate it when people from a bidding city come on and can not imagine their city possibly loosing. I'm glad LA is inspiring people, but at least take a shot of reality along with those massive chugs of fantasy.

Any surprise that you're a San Diego booster now? Lol. FYI is a troll.

FYI a troll? What the actual hell? FYI has been a long time, well respected, and intelligent member on these forums...you joined 4 months ago and have successfully pissed off everyone on this thread, a feat unmatched since Tony.

But you wouldn't know him. You joined 4 months ago.

There won't be much discussion about that Paul. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that they have a greater understanding about both geopolitics and LA's bid. Yet even with a preliminary published bid book and preexisting policy none of that is true. Anything can be said about LA, true or not, because I don't understand. Still, my interest isn't really in arguing with them, it's more about raising awareness of LA's bid for other people who support LA's bid to have a place to discuss the bid in honesty of what it is and where it might be going.

If you wanted to discuss it honestly, like all of us here, then you would acknowledge the challenges LA faces at home and abroad...you would also acknowledge that this entire race is completely in Paris' favor.

Why are people in such a negative fury about posting positive things about LA?

The arguments and criticism seem way overstated vs anything being said.

Because the person who is saying positive things about LA sounds like an infomercial for someone trying to sell us a timeshare. It's too over the top, especially when anyone doesn't share his rah rah positive vibe is anti-LA and we can't have that around here. We had someone like that from Boston and it got irritating because he wanted everyone to be on his side rather than to have any original opinions. He wanted this site and especially the Boston thread to be a safe space. Sounds like RuFF wants the same thing here. To that end..

There won't be much discussion about that Paul. There seems to be a prevailing attitude that they have a greater understanding about both geopolitics and LA's bid. Yet even with a preliminary published bid book and preexisting policy none of that is true. Anything can be said about LA, true or not, because I don't understand. Still, my interest isn't really in arguing with them, it's more about raising awareness of LA's bid for other people who support LA's bid to have a place to discuss the bid in honesty of what it is and where it might be going. I understand they don't think it's a good bid even while they make statements that are in direct conflict with LA's existing policy and infrastructural projects. I also am capturing that the story about controlling the conversation isn't sitting well, even though this very website has an article it has posted twice about the very subject. Even with extreme sports and the Olympic Brand being in trouble being the topic from articles, recent articles on this website, and evidence that the LA Bid is listening to that stuff, I don't know what I'm talking about. ALL, on this website. But figuring that out would be going too far, and I guess GamesBids.com must have some sort of agenda when they post articles about what I've said and they must not understand the geopolitics in the IOC.

We should just start calling you the straw man. You seem to enjoy playing that role.

I'm not going to argue with you because that seems useless at this point, but I will say this.. If you're looking for a place to drum up support for LA's Olympic bid and share in some positive thinking, you are in the wrong place. For better or worse, this is not the most friendly site in that regard.. If you want to engage in a serious discussion about LA's bid (which may or may not all be positive), you're not going to get too many responses if your goal is to "control the conversation." This is the wrong crowd for that

FYI a troll? What the actual hell? FYI has been a long time, well respected, and intelligent member on these forums...you joined 4 months ago and have successfully pissed off everyone on this thread, a feat unmatched since Tony.

Tony pissed off everyone in every thread. That's why I said this is more TeamRik (someone confining himself to 1 thread) than Tony.

I'm not looking to drum up support for LA's bid. That's stupid. However, there remain truths that I can argue and there seems to be a lot of people missing that. For example, the need for housing. It's not fake, it happens to be true. Expanded rail lines, you can't change that whether you like it or not. And LA's position to bid isn't based on Paris or anything other than LA itself, and the way it has naturally grown. Taking away it's natural growth to diminish LA's bid is what I argue. You can't take away it's investments in the airport, you can't take away the years of study for a river revitalization. There are years and years of documented progress of what LA has done for LA, itself. And many of those things are pulled into this bid. So my argument isn't whether or not I think LA is better than Paris, it's that LA has already done things that are not being acknowledged in Paris' favor and I'm setting the record straight. That is the problem because that suddenly becomes boosterism.

The problem though is this.. we can look at LA's bid in a vacuum that ignores the other cities that are interested in the Olympics. They can make a compelling case why it makes sense for them and why they make sense for the IOC. No one here is trying to deny that or to diminish what's behind their efforts (especially since this is the 3rd game in recent memory they've been interested in bidding for an Olympics) or 'take away' what has changed in LA since 1984. The question has been raised here many times of how has LA changed since their last Olympics and would a 2024 bid be significantly different than 1984. The answer is a resounding yes, but a lot of those points have been made already before you were a part of the discussion here. Saying that you're "setting the record straight" has a somewhat insulting tone to it because that makes it seem like we didn't know these things before you showed up here. And it becomes boosterism when others bring up the challenges that LA faces and you are more interested in focusing on the more positive aspects of LA's bid rather than the negative. Again, it's the nature of this site to focus more on the negative, but then you need to acknowledge that rather than to think you can "peel our eyes back" with all this information where suddenly we're going to have these revelations about LA.

More than that though, eventually there is going to come a point in time where LA's bid gets measured up against the competition. Most of us have looked it at through the lens already and even with this additional information about LA (most of it none of us are disputing) does not necessarily swing the balance in favor of LA. There's a time and a place where LA's narrative would stand out a lot more. 2024 doesn't seem like it. That's not to say we can't discuss it in this thread, but it's hard to ignore the geopolitics of this race that includes a bid from Paris.

And as far as controlling the conversation, if you took your head out of your *** you might understand that A, I can control this conversation because of the things LA is today and are put into the bid, not things LA would do for the bid., and B. You are taking what I mean by controlling the conversation out of the context of which I have it in. Use a little critical thinking to understand what I mean. I'm not trying to control anybody, but controlling the conversation in the context that I mean is giving the IOC the voice it is missing. The one of sport, not the one of finance. And even though finances will always be a part of the Olympic Movement, right now, in this very point in time they have taken over. 2022, Boston, Hamburg, and now possibly Budhapest (or am I making this up) have been taken by the conversation of cost. And the only thing I am saying LA controls the conversation is in Southern California. It has an 81% approval and then someone comes in and argues when Angelinos find out how much it's going to cost dismissing housing shortages, current venues that exist, current rail lines and other infrastructual projects underway and funded or opened the door in hard to do anything LA or the United States to seek funding, there's a serious problem with the opposing argument. You can't make that wipe away because any argument you have. And you can't wipe away the mindset of Southern Californians and the Games and the current conversation about the Games. 81% want the games because you can't wipe away 32 years of penetrating schools and the minds of California. You can't wipe away the positive legacy of 1984, you can't change policy with words and because of those things, there's a different conversation in Los Angeles than there was in Boston. So in a time when the IOC has lost it's voice and that voice (as mentioned in the article had you read it) being NoBoston Olympics, Nolympia Hamburg, etc,; LA might, for who knows what reason, want to let the IOC know it has controlled that conversation and use it as a selling point when the Olympic Movement needs it the most.

When Boston made their pitch for the Olympics (which as we know now was done in by incompetent leadership), they made a lot of the same claims you're making for LA. Infrastructure projects are already in place. The Olympics will compliment the city's plan for urban growth. Taxpayer funding will not be a major factor. As much as LA is better suited for the Olympics (and how Boston got chosen over them in the first place was an awful decision on the part of the USOC), at some point, the questions of funding and finance are going to come up no matter how much you're trying to shift the conversation to sport. You're talking about an event that costs billions upon billions of dollars to host, so you need to make the case that it is a good investment for the city. The 1984 Olympics were great for the city, but they cost a fraction of what the 2024 Olympics would. So will that approval/support rating be the same once people become increasingly aware of the price tag. It's one thing for LA to talk about sport with the IOC. But you can't ignore the costs and the people who will be asking if it's a worthy investment.

The IOC lost its voice because people around the world are starting to question the value of hosting an Olympics (and not just because of Beijing and Sochi which obviously were outliers). LA is not going to be immune to that even if their message and their plans are well thought out. LA is not immune to that because they have positive Olympic history. And the deeper this goes, the more real all these questions are going to be having to put them to the test rather than just being theory. It's a noble goal to want to control the conversation. It's going to be a much different story to actually accomplish that, even for LA which has a lot going for it and hopefully good management to lead them.

Why are people in such a negative fury about posting positive things about LA?

The arguments and criticism seem way overstated vs anything being said.

Because there is little being posted that relates to how Los Angeles will actually manage the Olympics. Instead it is braggadocio about Los Angeles in general.

I could do something similar with Seattle. I could say that Seattle's canals are clearly the best possible location for international rowing events because it is the most naturally beautiful city in the USA and it has a long history in the sport. I could post pictures of regattas in said canals.

8901987.jpeg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/0/KI/KIKXBXVEBJRSAQV.20150325211201.png

http://x.pac-12.com/sites/default/files/styles/event_page_content__hero/public/LWVPHRIZPSWSRZV.20150428204716.jpg?itok=K2uYU3Gr

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2011/05/07/2014995227.jpg

Unfortunately that ignores the fact that Seattle's canals are not wide enough for international rowing events. So there's no way it would work no matter how much support there was or how pretty the site is.

That's what certain posters are doing with Los Angeles in ignoring the requirements for certain venues (such as swimming and diving), international broadcast center, etc. Los Angeles could win with its bid and host a great games, but it has a number of hurdles to clear before that.

• Like 1

YAWN! No one is really interested in reading textbook-length embellishment to the tenth-degree. And that's why your "arguments suck" as well. It's nothing but subjective mumbo-jumbo that totally ignores the real "nitty gritty" of how this stuff really plays out.