17 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Angelinos love the Olympics and it's not everyday that the Olympics come to your corner of the world. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for many to take their kids to something like the Opening Ceremony in their very own city. 

This is so ironic in itself considering, relatively speaking, the Olympics were just in L.A. in 1984. How many "Angelinos" can remember those Games. I'm sure quite many. So there goes the "once in a lifetime opportunity". It's time for a city that can really say that, & that's not L.A. this time around.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing you LA boosters just can't seem to understand is that the IOC only cares about what the host city will do for "the Olympic movement." The sports federations are not interested in urban devel

Sigh! I've tried not to get too involved in the tit-for-tatting in the whole LA debate. And tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and allow that you're a passionate and blinkered supporter of LA

I am struck by the statement that "there is no reason to attack LA." There is no reason to attack any city or any people in any city. This is the horror of terrorism. Whichever city wins any Olympi

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

... And frankly, if I was one of them, I'd be less than impressed by this arrangement. If you really wanna experience and see the full OC spectacular, here the best you can do is just get half of it, and see the other half no better, and less comfortably, than the billions who are watching it on TV at home. I'd feel a bit cheated, to tell you the truth. If you're so much into the OC, you probably want the full experience - artistic segments, parade, formalities and all. Not some chopped up "choose which half is more important you" compromise. As I said above, if I had to choose, I'd probably got the artistic half - but I'd be pissed I hadn't yet experienced a full, proper OC live.

I think you're looking at the arrangement in a linear way... 

I really think this is where the opportunity to get creative arises.  The descriptions in the news articles make it sound like the opening ceremonies would start at the Coliseum and end in Inglewood; but I see the possibility of 2 simultaneous ceremonies being experienced live and on TV at the same time.  The use of holograms, one performer or set of performers being in one stadium somehow interacting with another performer or set of performers in the other stadium, while the torch relay continues and is shown on screens making its way from the one stadium to the other, and of course those 7 or so miles would be lined with throngs of people, right?  Simultaneous lightings of the Olympic cauldrons, maybe... Logistical nightmare, sure.  Cheesy?  Of course; aren't all opening ceremonies cheesy?  Impossible?  Probably.  Possible?  Probably.  

2 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Shutting down major LA through ways/streets is also not a tough thing to do. It routinely shuts down entire sections of the city already for Marathons, 5/10/15K runs, the CicLAvia events and other large festivals.

Oh yes; LA does crowd control very well.  Movie premieres, televised awards ceremonies... all involve shutting down whole blocks of streets  

Hell, even in Pasadena, the Rose Parade route is 6 miles long, lined with crowds.  The 7-plus-mile torch relay from the Coliseum to Inglewood would almost be a piece of cake.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RuFF said:

I can understand this perspective from the outside looking in, but if there was an event related to the Olympics I think Angelinos would come out to experience it with other Angelinos and visitors. Angelinos love the Olympics and it's not everyday that the Olympics come to your corner of the world. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity for many to take their kids to something like the Opening Ceremony in their very own city. Now I know that sounds rosy but I strongly believe if Angelinos fill the Coliseum for the USC Trojans, or even the Rams, they will fill it for an Opening Ceremony.

Personally, I would travel to LA to experience the Olympics a 2nd time in the place that I grew up. I'm sure Baron grumpy pants would travel to LA to see the Olympics in a place he once lived, too. Even though he's now bitter, saggy and tired in the SAN Francisco Bay. 

Again, depends what's going on at the Coliseum as part of the Opening Ceremony.  People go to see the Rams or the Trojans to see a football game.  If that football game was going on at the Rose Bowl and the Coliseum was merely a celebration of that with ancillary events, not so sure that would be as big a draw.

That aside, the ceremonies will likely be 2 of the most expensive, if not the most expensive tickets of the games.  It's going to be a pretty exclusive audience, not something that a lot of people are going to be able to attend, let alone take their kids to (unless they're willing to shell out a few thousand dollars for tickets for a family of 4).  I'm sure many Angelinos will buy tickets to and attend events, but for the vast majority of them, this won't be 1 of them.

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

That aside, the ceremonies will likely be 2 of the most expensive, if not the most expensive tickets of the games.  It's going to be a pretty exclusive audience, not something that a lot of people are going to be able to attend, let alone take their kids to (unless they're willing to shell out a few thousand dollars for tickets for a family of 4).  I'm sure many Angelinos will buy tickets to and attend events, but for the vast majority of them, this won't be 1 of them.

They will sell out though. But you're right ... I was going to mention it in my reply to Ruff. A large percentage of those won't be Angelinos, rather rich and/or very keen Olympic tourists.

Edited by Sir Rols
22 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Dude calm the fk down. People who remember 1984 will be over 40 years old. They will know the opportunity for them to share with their kids an Olympics at home will likely not happen again. So while they may have already had the experience to experience it with their kids will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity. For those born after 1984 they would be experiencing an Olympics at home for the first time. So while you may get in a tiss and into technicalities, the experience is truly unique and not an everyday thing. 

I am calm. You're the one who's getting their panties in a bind with all the L.A. kool-aide that you're drinking. Yeah, sure. Try to convieniently justify it by saying people there who remember it will be over 40yo, or for "Angelinos" who were born after 1984 it will be a "new experience" for them. But considering for the many voting IOC members who DO exactly remember 1984 very vividly, I'm sure their view on a "once in a lifetime opportunity" is a hell of a lot different than the one coming from your L.A. cheerleading purse.

58 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Dude calm the fk down. People who remember 1984 will be over 40 years old. They will know the opportunity for them to share with their kids an Olympics at home will likely not happen again. So while they may have already had the experience to experience it with their kids will probably be a once in a lifetime opportunity. For those born after 1984 they would be experiencing an Olympics at home for the first time. So while you may get in a tiss and into technicalities, the experience is truly unique and not an everyday thing. 

never-in-the-history-of-calming-down-has

So when you said "once in a lifetime," you really meant "once in a lifetime, not counting if they already experienced it because this is new since they'll have kids."  Oh yea, and easy to forget that the United States last hosted a Summer Olympics in 1996, not 1984.  And what about Paris?  Would the experience not be truly unique for them?  There are a lot of good arguments to make for Los Angeles.  But they are one of the last cities that should be making any claim to "once in a lifetime experience" as a selling point.  Especially when most of the voters are over the age of 40 and they themselves remember LA.

30 minutes ago, RuFF said:

You're not very intelligent or something is wrong. Clearly the context was different but your mind isn't processing it. I would have better luck and more productive conversation talking to a brick than I get talking to you and your roller coaster of topics. You latch on to certain words and then go off on a tangent of mindless jibber. 

Projecting again, are you, tRuffmp! :lol::P

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

So when you said "once in a lifetime," you really meant "once in a lifetime, not counting if they already experienced it because this is new since they'll have kids."  

Yeah, their "kids" are the difference. :rolleyes:

17 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Oh yea, and easy to forget that the United States last hosted a Summer Olympics in 1996, not 1984.  And what about Paris?  Would the experience not be truly unique for them?  There are a lot of good arguments to make for Los Angeles.  But they are one of the last cities that should be making any claim to "once in a lifetime experience" as a selling point.  Especially when most of the voters are over the age of 40 and they themselves remember LA.

Obviously logic & objective observation is NOT one of tRuffmp's strong points. Talking to a turd would be more productive.

• Like 1

What I find interesting on the posted link of the updated venues is the LA Convention Center being included for basketball, likely prelims. Makes no sense when you have the Galen Center. Why not move badminton to the LACC? Or is this just a misprint?

2 hours ago, stryker said:

What I find interesting on the posted link of the updated venues is the LA Convention Center being included for basketball, likely prelims. Makes no sense when you have the Galen Center. Why not move badminton to the LACC? Or is this just a misprint?

Stryker, I think the Bid group knows what they're doing.  

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

Except that my comment wasn't about the IOC members nor was it about a games in the US. I was very specific when I said a games in the same town where someone would have grown up. I didn't say that Paris couldn't do the same thing and if you weren't stupid you would remember we were talking about LA's ability to fill 2 stadiums whether through locals or tourists alike. So run on your Mr smarty pants tangents, but since your tangents immediately depart from what is being talked about you're actually Mr. Stupid Pants. 

Im certain you have another tangent. 

This is GamesBids.  It's almost more surprising when a thread doesn't go off on a tangent than when it does.  Thanks for the heads up on how to handle your emotionally fragile brain.. only talk about the exact specific point you bring up, no matter how inane it is, because if we don't you'll be all sorts of confused.  I'll remember that the next time you respond to someone else with an unrelated point and you can't process what's going on.  It's a darn good thing the LA committee is made up of intelligent people and not internet trolls like you.  But by all means, go ahead thinking you can still "control the conversation" and get flustered when it's obvious that you can't.

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

Lol, this is a joke. Clearly not the same thing I was talking about. But I won't explain, you can keep thinking you're bright while everyone else that does know what I'm talking about thinks you're an idiot.

Actually, the joke here is you.  But most of the crowd here knows that already.  And calling me an idiot is not exactly an insult since "everyone else that does know what I'm talking about" is a group that consists of you and.. well no, pretty much just you.

Again, we all get that this is all about LA for you and that the fact that Paris is also bidding is an afterthought.  And if LA actually wins the vote (you do remember there's going to be a vote, right?), then yes, it's all about LA.  Until then, it's LA versus Paris.  Good luck trying to avoid that fact.  If you're making a point about LA that is just as true if not more true for Paris, then you have no point.

• Like 2

OK, so LA's Exposition Park got the George Lucas Museum with a very tired design.  

Image result for George Lucas Museum images

Eh.  Looks like an electric razor.

Image result for Norelco laser images

Now, there is this bizarre, big black ugly blob that will be built over Wilshire Blvd. and become the new LA County Museum of Art

Image result for Peter Zumthor design for LACMA images  

Placeholder Alt Text

But I prefer this DeathStar theatre over at the Academy Museum 

But do new museums make for a renewed Olympic host city? 

Where is Zaha Hadid when you need her?? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
8 hours ago, RuFF said:

You can't go on tangents all you'd like, just don't make up what I am saying to support your arguments. I have no problem with people choosing to talk about whatever they want. The problem I have is when what I said is sold as something I didn't say and then everyone gets a lecture of what you think based on what you think I said. It's stupid to even respond to you because you are on another planet. 

0cd5d2ac23ba71e08b59b6e3b3e1710f.jpg

Yes, see the planet I'm on is called Earth.  It's where most of the people in this forum aside reside.  I'm still not sure what planet you actually come from.  Probably some sort of planet for trolls.  Or maybe Uranus.  Which would actually make a lot of sense since the majority of your posts are you talking out of your ass.

But that's okay.. keep on trolling if it makes you feel better.  Can't wait for when we get closer to the vote and it becomes increasingly harder for you to ignore that LA is actually competing against other cities who get to present their bid right alongside LA's.  Good luck then trying to make ridiculous arguments when it's not just about LA, but it's about LA versus Paris.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, so LA's Exposition Park got the George Lucas Museum with a very tired design.  

Image result for George Lucas Museum images

Eh.  Looks like an electric razor.

Image result for Norelco laser images

Now, there is this bizarre, big black ugly blob that will be built over Wilshire Blvd. and become the new LA County Museum of Art

Placeholder Alt Text

But I prefer this DeathStar theatre over at the Academy Museum 

But do new museums make for a renewed Olympic host city? 

Where is Zaha Hadid when you need her?? 

I absolutely loathe the new LACMA design. Absolutely hideous. I agree.

Lucas Museun looks cool IMO and actually intergeates parkspace into it, but I am with you on LACMA, so god damn ugly.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

It's like "what were they thinking"?  I mean, where IM Pei made wonders with his glass pyramid for the Louvre; and Gae Aulenti totally transformed the Musee d'Orsay, what is this black Rorshach thing doing on Wiltshire Blvd?   Did they even look at other designs?? 

I don't know who the hell dropped the ball there, but man its bad. 

Its such an opportunity to put something truly iconic and this was it? And black!? 

In a city with such vibrant colors, they dropped a black sheet of metal over a heavily used corrider.

Bleh. If it were up to me I would fire the entire staff and design team and start over.

5 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

I don't know who the hell dropped the ball there, but man its bad. 

Its such an opportunity to put something truly iconic and this was it? And black!? 

In a city with such vibrant colors, they dropped a black sheet of metal over a heavily used corrider.

Bleh. If it were up to me I would fire the entire staff and design team and start over.

You know what.  It just occurred to me now.  The black thing is in reference to the Tar (Pits).  But really, to use that as the shell of a 21st century museum??  

And the LA City Council approved the design, too!!   :wacko: