1 hour ago, RuFF said:

I think the difference is clear. Paris has their eye on LA (You guys too) and LA has their eye on 2024.

Don't think there's much clarity behind those rose-colored glasses you're looking through.  So now that it's been proven you're the biggest fool here (not that we didn't think that already).. let's say you're right.  Do you think the IOC gaves 2 craps and will take that into account when choosing a winner?  You're only fooling yourself if you think that's true.  This is politics.  Paris is hardly running some sort of dirty campaign like you think it going on in that dense jungle of yours you call a brain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

I think it's fair to say FYI, Quaker, Roger and Robs are my fans. Lol. I show up and boom, there they are. Haha. 

Yup.  You keep showing up even though no one wants you around and it's impossible to get rid of you.  That makes you herpes.  You are the herpes of this website.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RuFF said:

It seems like a legit report.

LA2024's page got 800K new likes, mainly from Africa and the middle east.

Media buys are nothing new, and it is widely practiced by major groups and companies.

Still, I hate when anyone "buys their followers"

Moving on.

1 hour ago, Pure facts said:

Yup.

This practice is nothing new, and surely the folks at Paris2024 at the very least considered it. Many companies aggressively push their ads on to FB with a "Like" button next to it.

It is rather strange though because LA already had 4x more followers than Paris. 200K+ vs Paris' 60K.

Now it looks like the FB Likes were indeed legitimate.

With less competition from other agencies in the names countries, the LA 2024 ad had a lot more exposure, so this is no mistake.

NYC Based Agency Laundry Service is who ran the ads for LA2024.

The French are right that many of the likes came from those counties, but they are twisting the facts. 

6 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

So in other words, it was a non-issue/non-news.

Next!

At first glance it was awfully suspicious, but with no competition for FB ads, in Africa and the middle east,  LA2024 must have been all over their news feeds.

It really is not that hard to believe. Hell, the "How Bout Dat" girl got millions overnight. This is not that big of a stretch when you put it in its context.

I guess a doses of news after a butt kissing to Abrahamson's agenda and TRuff is nice :D

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-administration-considers-far-reaching-steps-for-extreme-vetting-1491303602

Foreigners entering U.S. could be forced to hand over phones, answer questions on ideology; changes could apply to allies like France, Australia, Japan and Germany

I know the excuses and defenses for certain parts, but let's keep in consideration the potential thread for this simple idea in a rational way.

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

YAWN - "more of the same" Alan Abra-drivel-son. The man is a bias, agenda-driven broken-record. Give it a rest already. Nobody cares, other than your crony, L.A. cheerleading readers.

But then watch a Sean Spicer reaction for the WSJ making a full invented excuse and making damage control as "it doesn't matter", even if that idea can really break the majority of the IOC voters in just a blink.

This is a bit of a grey area. If LA has bulk bought likes that's pretty much cheating if they're going around boasting about the number they have. If they've used dark-arts of targetting low ad-spend regions hoping to generate a lot of 'background-noise' likes that's a clever way of boosting numbers and not cheating at all. However, they may have lost sight of what social media is for if their main strategy is a numbers game, rather than engaging with people who might be interested in what you've got to say. That may not matter if a big number impresses the IOC enough, of course. I doubt many of them understand the technology well enough to be able to make those kind of distinctions. But if LA does win, I'd hope to see a smarter strategy going forward, because that's what their bid is promising to deliver.

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Funny that FYI's argument was "more of the same". First, that's LA's argument about Paris' government backed bid... and second both he and Roger offered more of their own regular drivel. 

You sure do like projecting a lot, don't you. Besides, I didn't make an argument that time (no point in it anymore when you clearly have an agenda yourself just like Alan does). Just pointing out the fact how everytime your silly buddy AA releases more of his twaddle, "boom, there you are" all ready & wiling to have it delivered right up your dumb piehole where all of your drivel comes from. 

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

This is a bit of a grey area. If LA has bulk bought likes that's pretty much cheating if they're going around boasting about the number they have. If they've used dark-arts of targetting low ad-spend regions hoping to generate a lot of 'background-noise' likes that's a clever way of boosting numbers and not cheating at all. However, they may have lost sight of what social media is for if their main strategy is a numbers game, rather than engaging with people who might be interested in what you've got to say. That may not matter if a big number impresses the IOC enough, of course. I doubt many of them understand the technology well enough to be able to make those kind of distinctions. But if LA does win, I'd hope to see a smarter strategy going forward, because that's what their bid is promising to deliver.

I fully agree.

I don't think LA has done anything that would be considered as cheating as they have done what a lot of companies around the world are doing: generating a lot of followers by putting adds in market with low concurrence. And that's the first point: there is nothing new or innovative about that.

Secondly, as Rob pointed out, it is one thing to get some followers, quite another one to get them engaged in your project. For such a large fan base, the amount of activation (be it people liking, sharing or commenting on post) is rather low. I have no doubt LA can do it but so far they have not demonstrated it, whereas it is a key point of their vision.

I guess, InsidetheGames puts it best by saying this whole story demonstrates one should be careful before releasing a glowing press release...

• Like 1

I would add that my post unintelligent use of tech only refers to the Facebook page. The app LA24 released to get people engaged and to allow people to pre-register for volunteering opportunities sounds like it's been a success. That's a much, much smarter use of tech than gobbling up likes.

I have to say, I preferred the pre-Facebook days when bids had to do other things to show support levels, like London's giant flag with 250k digital signatures printed on it. (I've just done a search and the microsite is still there 13 years on! http://panlogicgames.com/games/signtheflag/)

london-2012-olympic-bid-london-2012s-gia

Edited by Rob.

Very interesting article. It's in French but it might be easy to translate. It explains in a very clear and constructive way why it's unlikely LA2024 got so many likes without "cheating".  

http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2017/04/06/sur-les-reseaux-sociaux-les-chiffres-tres-gonfles-de-la-candidature-olympique-de-los-angeles_5107066_4408996.html

• Like 2

I don't know what sites the evaluation team will be visiting in LA next month, but here's a look at how USC Village is progressing, which would be the Media Village if LA is chosen to host.