14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nowhere did I ever implied that Americans couldn't afford to travel

You said in the last page; "we can 'afford' it, so we might as well! Canadian middle-class is in good health." 

So you're implying something here. 

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Canada dominance? I just said that we have a very healthy middle class. Where did I use the word dominance?

How about the New York Times?

So nope, not according to me at all

Well, then MAYBE it's not about Canadian dominance, but rather your obvious disdain for the U.S. & Americans in general (or a lot of both). Especially now that your posting these articles to somehow de-pedestal the U.S. in whatever fashion you can.

35 minutes ago, FYI said:

You said in the last page; "we can 'afford' it, so we might as well! Canadian middle-class is in good health." 

So you're implying something here. 

I'm not implying anything. Just stating a fact

36 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well, then MAYBE it's not about Canadian dominance, but rather your obvious disdain for the U.S. & Americans in general (or a lot of both). Especially now that your posting these articles to somehow de-pedestal the U.S. in whatever fashion you can.

You accused me of "implying" dominance and that such "dominance" was and I quote you: "According to me"

I did no such thing, but found that the NYT indeed said that the Canadian Middle Class was richer. I shared a fact from an American newspaper. I guess they hate America too :rolleyes:.I actually wish America the best. The point of the article wasn't to highlight Canada's dominance, but questioned why American middle class fell behind. Universal healthcare, lower education costs just to name those are a great way to immediately boost American middle class. And those aren't Canadian inventions (we're actually late to the party), but we got convinced to do it and it worked. 

6 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not implying anything. Just stating a fact.

When the subject was about Canada vs U.S. travel, you're implying something with that "fact".

8 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You accused me of "implying" dominance and that such "dominance" was and I quote you: "According to me"

Well, when you argue everything Canada (like truff does L.A), what is one left to think on that.

10 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I did no such thing, but found that the NYT indeed said that the Canadian Middle Class was richer. I shared a fact from an American newspaper. I guess they hate America too :rolleyes:.

A "fact" from an American newspaper you hold sacred, but one from a Canadian website you question. How ironic! :P

2 minutes ago, FYI said:

When the subject was about Canada vs U.S. travel, you're implying something with that "fact".

Paranoid much, no I'm not!  lol!

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well, when you argue everything Canada (like truff does L.A), what is one left to think on that.

I don`t. You don`t see me claiming that we have a better military, do you?

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

A "fact" from an American newspaper you hold sacred, but one from a Canadian website you question. How ironic! :P

NYT is fake news then :D

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Paranoid much, no I'm not!  lol!

Obviously your are.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don`t. You don`t see me claiming that we have a better military, do you?

I never made such claim, either.

5 minutes ago, Ansem said:

NYT is fake news then :D

Never said it was.

2 minutes ago, FYI said:

Oh puhleeze! :rolleyes: And if I had, you'd immediately make some silly a$s anti-U.S. statement that "the world is already 'tired' of the world's "strongest military". And that "the rest of us" want to be left "alone", or some other bullsh!t like that. :P

Why would I? It's a fact that the US spends more on defense than the entire world combined. There's no American bases in Canada so I have no reason to complain. As for other nations, they accepted bases on their soil. So it's their decision

2 hours ago, FYI said:

That's not true. There are lots of people who absolutely love winters & totally hate hot & humid places. Otherwise, I'd doubt that winter sports would be as popular as they are, for example.

I hate both. Hot and humid sucks. Cold and wintery sucks.

The soutwestern states (mainly southern california) have that nice warm and dry climate that is easier to tolerate.

Speaking of Canada. When I visited back on 2014, holy ****, their customs people were brutal. 

They interviewed me, checked my bags throughly, went through my phone, made me call my mom, and even called the hotel I was staying at.

I was held for almost 2 hours.

So for all this talk about the US using extreme vetting. Canada has been doing it for sometime as well.

I was only there for 3 days on a business trip and I felt like they were going to throw me in jail.

1 minute ago, JesseSaenz said:

Speaking of Canada. When I visited back on 2014, holy ****, their customs people were brutal. 

They interviewed me, checked my bags throughly, went through my phone, made me call my mom, and even called the hotel I was staying at.

I was held for almost 2 hours.

So for all this talk about the US using extreme vetting. Canada has been doing it for sometime as well.

I was only there for 3 days on a business trip and I felt like they were going to throw me in jail.

Lol, that's because of the following: Too many Americans tries to enter Canada with guns!

Canada border agency starts campaign to remind U.S. of gun laws here

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/canada-border-agency-starts-campaign-to-remind-u-s-of-gun-laws-here-1.3731109

57 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lol, that's because of the following: Too many Americans tries to enter Canada with guns!

Canada border agency starts campaign to remind U.S. of gun laws here

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/canada-border-agency-starts-campaign-to-remind-u-s-of-gun-laws-here-1.3731109

That's 2016. This was 2014 for a 2 day conference in Vancouver.

An Aussie and a man from France who were at the same conference said they too were hassled. Not what any of us thought when visiting the friendly people of Canada.

5 hours ago, RuFF said:

I this as opposed to the Mexico City mayoral relationship without Donald Trump or Los Angeles? 

I find it odd that the Mayor of the worlds most populated city with Mexicans would have a stronger relationship with Paris than it would with Los Angeles, the worlds most populated city with Mexicans outside of Mexico City proper. If I am not wrong there are more Mexicans in Los Angeles than any other Mexican city outside of Mexico City itself. 

Whether Mexico City's Mayor is friendlier with Paris' Mayor than LA's who knows. But signing this letter (against the USA's interests) is not the first time I've seen them trying to use the 'soft power' of sport since Trump has come to power. The biggest single sporting event in Mexico, the recently established and hugely successful F1 Grand Prix is supporting the #BridgesNotWalls campaign this year and Sergio Perez will also be backing it....

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/perez-backs-mexican-gp-campaign-against-trump-s-divisive-politics-872429/

f1-sergio-perez-mexican-gp-2017-sergio-p

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

An Aussie and a man from France who were at the same conference said they too were hassled. Not what any of us thought when visiting the friendly people of Canada.

So I'm driving into Canada at one of the rural Vermont/Quebec borders and I get the sexiest border patrol guard ever. Maybe it was the French accent. She asked me where I'm going, how long I'll be in Canada, and then she.... sends me on my way???? I was ready to cry. That's it?There's nobody else here, you don't need to rush. You sure you don't need to interrogate me? Maybe a strip search or something... 

The worst Canada/US border crossing has traditionally be going into Washington from BC. The US guards are convinced everybody is trying to smuggle weed. Hopefully, that's relaxed a bit with changing laws in the US. 

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

Americans bringing guns in Canada is an old problem. But I'll give you that, CBSA are total Dicks. They are worse with Canadians actually. That healthcare won't pay for itself lol

What's funny is that the vast majority of Americans either think very positively of Canada, or don't think about Canada much at all. Oh, sure we like to kid, but there's no real animosity towards Canada. Yet every now and then we get a Canadian on here who wants to rekindle the war of 1812 - which we won by the way :)

If we get Calgary vs SLC for 2026, or Toronto vs LA for 2028, then we can have a discussion about the merits of hosting in one country or the other. But right now, the US has stepped up to run for 2024. This is a tread about that bid. Canada punted... so why the heck are you in here picking a fight??

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Not sure if it's sarcasm but it's actually true lol

http://books.sipri.org/files/FS/SIPRIFS1604.pdf

Global military global military spending in 2015: USA roughly $600b, rest of world roughly $1100b. You want to start a thread that the US spends way too much on the military, go ahead. But don't be saying "that's a fact" to things that aren't true. 

Just now, Ansem said:

Not sure if it's sarcasm but it's actually true lol

#alternativefacts

You saying something is true doesn't actually make it true..

country-distribution-2012.png

SIPRI Military Expenditure Database

U.S. Military Spending vs. the World

This remarkable chart shows how U.S. defense spending dwarfs the rest of the world

Thank you zeke for finding something a little more recent, and also pretty damn concrete.