^You mean like the DNC (& that prick Howard Dean) cheated in 2008?! And that in itself should be a crime. So don't vote bcuz you don't like your party's candidate, but still bitch & "protest" about the end results! Like Q just said a bit ago; "can't have it both ways!"

31 minutes ago, FYI said:

Losing the popular vote by three million is a landslide IMO. That's the most of any other losing candidate in history BY FAR. Including Al Gore's loss in 2000. I seriously doubt if it was the other way around that Donald Duck would've gotten the same amount (in a loss) of the PV. 

Hillary's loss is also more complex than simply saying that she "wasn't" a strong candidate. The Bernie factor & also the factor that some just couldn't see themselves voting for a woman as president also contributed. 

Your personal views (whatever they are) of what you think of her are really just your opinions. Perhaps you may fall into one of those two main groups that I just mentioned above. But then again, you also claim to usually vote Republican, so enuff said. ^_^

Some just couldn't see themselves voting for a black man in 2008.  How'd that work out for Obama?  And he won that popular vote by more than 10 million votes!

You're right this is all a matter of opinion, although thank you for painting a picture of me based on how I said I vote.  Hillary lost to Trump.  Donald motherfucking Trump.  We all know there are complexities to how that happened, but if you're going to cite "the Bernie factor," then maybe that says something about how good of a candidate Clinton was.  Neither of us is trying to make excuses here, but honestly tell me that if the shoe was on the other foot and Trump had won the popular vote but lost the electoral college (again, this is a hypothetical, and I know how much you enjoy your what if's! :lol:), that you would be saying the system needs to be overhauled?  No doubt the Trump camp would be bitching and moaning and you'd be telling them to shut up because "the system worked."

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

No doubt the Trump camp would be bitching and moaning and you'd be telling them to shut up because "the system worked."

To quote you, "thank you for painting a picture of me based on" what I DIDN'T say. The one who said that was tRuffmp, not me! 

I know me "bitching, moaning" & protesting isn't going to change anything, so I'm not going to waste my time & energy. But again, thanks for trying to assume something that you have absolutely no clue of.

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

(again, this is a hypothetical, and I know how much you enjoy your what if's! :lol:)

Yeah, sure. I enjoy them as much as you enjoy playing "your" devil's advocate! :lol::P

Hmmmm, can more behind-the-scenes be happening with the double-award thingy than we realize! Cuz Wasserman still thinks it's an "interesting concept!"

Los Angeles 2024 chairman admits awarding two Olympics together is "an interesting concept"

Los Angeles 2024 chairman Casey Wasserman has claimed the idea of awarding both the 2024 and 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) session in Lima in September "is an interesting concept".

The IOC has been actively investigating the possibility of awarding Paris the 2024 Olympics and Los Angeles 2028 at its Session in Lima on September 13. 

Earlier this month, Los Angeles and the United States Olympic Committee claimed they have no interest in bidding for the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games if they are not awarded the 2024 edition. 

But they have not ruled out the possibility of hosting the 2028 Olympics and Paralympics if they are awarded them without having to bid again. 

"We have been clear on this point," Wasserman said during a live question and answer session on Facebook today.

"The process we are involved in is bidding for the 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

"Nobody has come to us with the idea in an official capacity, we have obviously read the press like everyone else.

"I think it is an interesting concept but you might be too far into the process to change that.

"We are focused on the task at hand which is connecting with the Olympic family, telling the story of Los Angeles and why we believe that, for the future of the Olympic movement and the Olympic Games, the Games in 2024 should be in Los Angeles.

"That is what we are focused on and what we will keep our head down and keep working at."

Last week, the LA City Council’s Ad Hoc Committee gave their backing to the city’s final set of documents for their bid.

The Committee accepted the documents, including the Host City Contract, at a meeting held on Friday (January 20).

A full City Council vote is set to take place tomorrow, with Los Angeles 2024 then scheduled  to submit the third part of their Candidature Files - on Games Delivery, Experience and Venue Legacy - by February 3.

The City Council are likely to rubber-stamp the bid for the Olympics and Paralympics again during tomorrow's meeting.

In September, the Council voted unanimously to the city's efforts to bring the Summer Olympics back to the United States for the first time since Atlanta in 1996.

If Los Angeles win, they will become only the second city after London to host the host the Olympics three times, having previously staged it in 1932 and 1984.

Budapest are also bidding for the 2024 Olympics and Paralympics. 

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1046202/los-angeles-2024-chairman-admits-awarding-two-olympics-together-is-an-interesting-concept

I think the most interesting piece here is while the USOC has ruled out "bidding" for 2028, they haven't exactly ruled out 2028 if they are "awarded" those Games without having to bid for them. This is only a week old, too. But I'm surprised that no one else has posted this by now.

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

This chaos in the US gov't will continue becuz Trump is an illegitimate president. He has NO MORAL MANDATE to rule; and the nearly 73 million Americans who voted AGAINST him will NOT take his cheap, 3rd-rate crap from his gang of frauds and incompetent shysters, laying down. 

And there goes any support from Australia!..

Trump had heated exchange with Australian PM, talked 'tough hombres' with Mexican leader

Sorry, Rols.  I know that you know that our president hardly represents the will of the people, so please forgive us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FYI said:

Gotta love his tweet on it, though! 

"Do you believe it? The Obama Administration agreed to take thousands of illegal immigrants from Australia. Why? I will study this dumb deal!" 

He will "study" the dumb deal! :lol:

Well, he's right on one degree - the while deal was one where our Government was trying to pass the parcel on its own embarrassing dirty laundry.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FYI said:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1046202/los-angeles-2024-chairman-admits-awarding-two-olympics-together-is-an-interesting-concept

I think the most interesting piece here is while the USOC has ruled out "bidding" for 2028, they haven't exactly ruled out 2028 if they are "awarded" those Games without having to bid for them. This is only a week old, too. But I'm surprised that no one else has posted this by now.

Wasn't it more that they ruled out accepting 2028 as a consolation prize?  And even that is based on reporting more than a direct quote from anyone with the USOC.

I still take everything they say about 2028 at face value.  I don't blame them in any way for expressing that they're all in for 2024 and not thinking beyond that.  But again, if 2028 is handed to them "as a consolation prize," they'd be complete and utter fools to say no to that.

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Wasn't it more that they ruled out accepting 2028 as a consolation prize?  And even that is based on reporting more than a direct quote from anyone with the USOC.

Yes, it was something more to that effect, cuz "consolation prize" become something of a running joke a bit after that. 

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I still take everything they say about 2028 at face value.  I don't blame them in any way for expressing that they're all in for 2024 and not thinking beyond that.  But again, if 2028 is handed to them "as a consolation prize," they'd be complete and utter fools to say no to that.

Agreed. So I was looking at it today, actually, & currently there are 95 members of the IOC. Then take away those from the three respective bidding countries (assuming Budapest lasts the distance), & then take away Bach cuz he can't initially vote. So then you're left with 87 voting members (also assuming they all show up at the session & none abstain).

And out of those, at least a dozen of them you can bet are NOT voting in favor of a U.S. bid. And that's not even including the half dozen Latin votes, nor the other half dozen Muslim or left over female votes. Then of course add in the other usual geopolitical factors that accompany any particular Olympic bid race, & L.A. seriously has a very, very STEEP hill to climb for the 2024 vote! So yeah, any hint of 2028 being handed to them literally on a silver platter, they'd be total idiots to say "no" to that!

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

This is semantics here obviously, but is "sensation" really the word you want to associate with Trump or are you just saying that because someone else said it?  By your logic, wouldn't that make any US president a sensation because that person is the leader of the most powerful nation and anything and everything he does is a sensation?  Pretty sure though that's not how you'd describe Obama or the Bushes or most other US presidents.

The more apt part of your post is "freaking out."  Yea, the world is freaking out because there are major policy shifts going on here that we've never really seen before.  If that makes Trump a sensation, let's categorize him with Putin or Kim Jong-Il or other unstable leaders (those are obviously extreme examples, but by the definition here, they are "sensations" as you would describe them).  Again though, we're not talking about Trump simply because he's the American president and has a strong influence.  It's because of how he's using that influence and what it's doing the United States.  And as an American, I don't claim to have an outside perspective on how the rest of the world looks at us, but I'm guessing the same way many Americans looked at Brexit saying "WTF," I'm guessing is somewhat how America is being viewed right now for all the wrong reasons.

I do not think this is good by any means. I'm just pointing out the reality of the global situation since the Bretton Wood Agreement of 1945 which established the modern global order. I would argue that since the 50s what happens in America has significantly influenced and effected what has happened globally and American culture has been marketed, sold, and incorporated on a global scale (in no small part thanks to the media dominance of LA and really the entire state of California). The world made America and in return, America re-made the world. 

It is because of this that Trump is a negative sensation. He is neglecting the world order America has spent almost a century creating. An order that has brought more peace and prosperity than arguably at any other point in modern history. A world order where nations worked alongside each other to accomplish common goals and western ideas of liberty, equality, and democracy were spread. It's devastating. And it's devastating that Trump is using America's influence to hurt our nation and other nations. 

I want to be clear, I by no means think America is the most amazing place on the world, but as of now it is still the sole superpower and as such it holds an outweighed effect on the world. Every empire (including the British and French) has had similar power. He's quickly wasting it and using our power for evil and not good. 

As a note, I'm a world history and international relations major. I've been to Europe, Africa, and Asia. I know a thing or two about the world. Also, Le Pen is not going to be President, but if she won she would have the power theoretically to copy some of the horrible things Trump has done and her recent support for his refugee ban is frightening to say the least. Macron will do a fantastic job at leading France and helping make it a leading player in the European Union again...I also look forward to his speech in Lima. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

And there goes any support from Australia!..

Trump had heated exchange with Australian PM, talked 'tough hombres' with Mexican leader

Sorry, Rols.  I know that you know that our president hardly represents the will of the people, so please forgive us!

I second this.

Next to (if not above even) the U.K., Australia is our closest ally. The fact he had a heated exchange with Turnball simply because of a previous deal is ridiculous. Our nations are so close, so similar, and have done so much good together. It is a shame Trump is ruining this relationship (correction:every relationship). 

I talked with family about this and they are so ignorant. They think he's doing the right thing...and maybe keeping refugees out could be a good thing...he's just doing it in a way that is so damaging and hurtful. So many Americans lack the understanding of what kind of nuance is necessary in diplomacy. I'm getting out first bloody chance I get. 

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Well, he's right on one degree - the while deal was one where our Government was trying to pass the parcel on its own embarrassing dirty laundry.

Turnbull is kind of awful TBH. I'm still shocked he won the general election...oh wait...he didn't. Labor got the most seats...bloody coalitions. 

3 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Turnbull is kind of awful TBH. I'm still shocked he won the general election...oh wait...he didn't. Labor got the most seats...bloody coalitions. 

Actually (and sorry everyone for the diversion off topic), but the Liberals here ALWAYS are in coalition with the Nationals (and their previous incarnations). One of those quirks of Aussie politics, the conservative side is a permanent coalition.

As for Turnbull. The irony is he's suffering the same curse that undid Gillard - he unseated a sitting PM, and is now being white-anted by the disgruntled of his own party (or parties - remember, his is the permanent LNP coalition).

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

...but Australia is so friendly and wonderful, why don't they want to take in 1200 poor refugees who already traveled there? Seems like a waste to drag them all the way to the US just to be subjected to all the hardships of life among Americans.

Edited by paul

8 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

An order that has brought more peace and prosperity than arguably at any other point in modern history. A world order where nations worked alongside each other to accomplish common goals and western ideas of liberty, equality, and democracy were spread.

You must be joking right????? That's far from being reality. All the South American Coup that removed democratically elected president for US friendly dictators, same for Central America, Africa, the mess in the middle-East and the Iranian Islamic revolution happened because the US and the British got rid of the then secular and democratically elected president to replace him with the Shah who was a US friendly dictator. People got fed up a revolted.

Sorry but those sentences are false.

I by no means think America is the most amazing place on the world, but as of now it is still the sole superpower and as such it holds an outweighed effect on the world.

Seems like Russia is challenging that influence-wise. The world could use a break from American "outweighed effect" on the world.

Every empire (including the British and French) has had similar power. He's quickly wasting it and using our power for evil and not good. 

Every empires in history, no matter how powerful they were, ultimately fell. Not saying a foreign power will do it to the states, but it might collapse from the inside. Just a thought