1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

Trumps margin in swing states was very close. A few thousand votes at most. 

Honestly, I think he'll be impeached simply because of how truly incompetent he is. No way he makes it four years.

More than a few thousand.  Michigan was the closest by percentage and that was an 11,000 vote margin.  Pennsylvania was nearly 70,000.  Only New Hampshire because of its low population was only a few thousand.  This wasn't Florida in 2000.  No state had a margin that razor thin.

I would like to think he won't make it 4 years, but be careful what you wish for.  Would you rather have Pence in his place?  a.k.a. Vice President insurance policy?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Would you rather have Pence in his place?  a.k.a. Vice President insurance policy?

Indeed; that's the whole Catch 22 of this Trump admin.  At least, DT seems to listen and do a turn-around when he's been cornered by his advisers and team -- if I read him right.  Pence looks more incorrigible.  

28 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Indeed; that's the whole Catch 22 of this Trump admin.  At least, DT seems to listen and do a turn-around when he's been cornered by his advisers and team -- if I read him right.  Pence looks more incorrigible.  

Yeah, but his advisers are batshit. It comes down to whether you want a President listening to a bunch of nuts or a President that is nuts. Either way it's a shitty dose of democracy.

9 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Trumps margin in swing states was very close. A few thousand votes at most. 

Honestly, I think he'll be impeached simply because of how truly incompetent he is. No way he makes it four years.

For very different reasons nobody thought our coalition government would last a full term but it did. Hearing people saying similar about Trump this week feels like de ja vu, UK c2010.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 5:28 AM, Rob. said:

For very different reasons nobody thought our coalition government would last a full term but it did. Hearing people saying similar about Trump this week feels like de ja vu, UK c2010.

So who is the Lib Dems in this scenario? The Republican Tea Party, establishment, Trump himself? Which person is going to get annihilated into nothing in the next election?

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

Man oh Man. Forget 2024 for just a minute. This man here should be considering the Oval Office for 2020.

You shouldn't confuse a City Mayor pushing his city's Olympic bid as looking like presidential material.  NO big city mayor in the history of the US has gone on to become the major party's presidential candidate so quickly -- NOT even Michael Bloomberg who probably came closest to running (as a 3rd party candidate), and bankrolling his own campaign.  Garcetti is not a national name (yet).  Normally, the major party presid. candidates are senators or governors; rarely have there been mayors.  

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You shouldn't confuse a City Mayor pushing his city's Olympic bid as looking like presidential material.  NO big city mayor in the history of the US has gone on to become the major party's presidential candidate so quickly -- NOT even Michael Bloomberg who probably came closest to running (as a 3rd party candidate), and bankrolling his own campaign.  Garcetti is not a national name (yet).  Normally, the major party presid. candidates are senators or governors; rarely have there been mayors.  

Agreed, but Blomberg was a billionaire piece of **** that no one liked.

He needs to start getting more of the National Spotlight asap. I know Trump has maintained a steady relationship with him thus far, but Garcetti really does have the qualities that are noticeably absent from our current commander in chief compassion, tolerance, dignity, eloquence,  charisma, and more importanly he is intelligent and diplomatic. He doesn't have a fit when he is criticized and instead focuses on reaching some sort of common ground.

Someone like Garcetti should be signing executive orders, not Trump. He embodies what America and its people are about and is a product of the nation of immigrants. After he is done leading LA, he should graduate to the next big stage, and should probably start soon.

12 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

So who is the Lib Dems in this scenario? The Republican Tea Party, establishment, Trump himself? Which person is going to get annihilated into nothing in the next election?

Probably depends on whether Trump can be seen as representing the Tea Party; if not, then they can make that clear whenever his actions have unfortunate consequences.

20 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Man oh Man. Forget 2024 for just a minute. This man here should be considering the Oval Office for 2020.

State of Global Address on 1/23/17 regarding the 2024 Bid.

You think if Hillary chose him as her running mate she would have stood a better chance? I heard he was on the shortlist.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

You think if Hillary chose him as her running mate she would have stood a better chance? I heard he was on the shortlist.

No.  Because he's from CA, it would have been redundant.  Kaine was a good choice because he was a moderate Southerner which is the balance she needed on the ticket.  But it would have made no difference because her haters were going to vote for the other candidate, regardless -- cutting off their nose despite their face.  The ground troops didn't do their job in those 3 crucial states.  

If LA get the Games, I wonder how many countries would be allowed to participate, knowing that there probably wouldn't be any delegation from Syria ,Iraq, Iran, libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.

And how about the Mexicans? Would they have to climb that wall?

• Like 1

Feel genuinely bad for LA they've got that fat lump to contend with but on the other hand the more Trump does, the less I like the idea of an American victory on his watch. The last few days are making me hope America loses. Imagine how he and his far right cabinet would interpret and use that to their advantage. The world approves!

I still find it astonishing Alyson Felix made a speech for LA24 basically urging the IOC to vote for LA *despite* the nation's President. I've never witnessed anything like that before. Desperate times...

Edited by Rob.

...seriously though, I think the post 2006..... and especially the post-2012 Bach Olympics is just not a great fit with us anymore. I just hope LA won't get hooked into saving Paris' ego and the IOC by accepting a 2028 games scheme.

Edited by paul

5 hours ago, Rob. said:

Feel genuinely bad for LA they've got that fat lump to contend with but on the other hand the more Trump does, the less I like the idea of an American victory on his watch. The last few days are making me hope America loses. Imagine how he and his far right cabinet would interpret and use that to their advantage. The world approves!

I still find it astonishing Alyson Felix made a speech for LA24 basically urging the IOC to vote for LA *despite* the nation's President. I've never witnessed anything like that before. Desperate times...

The one saving grace here is that Trump is not guaranteed to be (and probably won't be) the president come 2024.  So even if LA is awarded the Olympics, there would be 3 1/2 years following Trump's term (assuming he lasts the whole way) to undo everything he'll have unleashed on this country.  That said, Trump is still the president now and will be when the vote occurs.  Probably not going to be a good thing.  LA2024 needs to distance themselves as best they can from Trump.  And it's a shame for them because they could do and say all the right things and Trump might screw it all up and there's probably little they can do about it.

• Like 4

I don't know if the subject has already been covered in this thread or not but... I was watching parts of the 1984 opening ceremony and wondering at what time it started. It was broad daylight at the start and twilight at the end of it. This would mean that it took place during the late afternoon in order to air in the prime time hours on the East Coast (assuming it was shown live on ABC? I can't find any information online).

I'm just wondering whether a LA Olympics in 2024 would mean the return of daylight ceremonies given that these huge events in the US are always scheduled with East Coast viewers in mind...

9 minutes ago, DamC said:

I don't know if the subject has already been covered in this thread or not but... I was watching parts of the 1984 opening ceremony and wondering at what time it started. It was broad daylight at the start and twilight at the end of it. This would mean that it took place during the late afternoon in order to air in the prime time hours on the East Coast (assuming it was shown live on ABC? I can't find any information online).

I'm just wondering whether a LA Olympics in 2024 would mean the return of daylight ceremonies given that these huge events in the US are always scheduled with East Coast viewers in mind...

If you look at previous opening ceremonies prior to the 1984 Summer Olympics, those were also held while it was still daylight.  Seoul 1988 was that way as well.  I believe it was the 1992 Barcelona Games that were the first to hold the opening ceremonies at night.  

And just to add, myself having grown up in and continuing to live in the Los Angeles area, I've always been kinda miffed by how east coast-centric the US media tends to be; a lot of awards telecasts that originate in Los Angeles are shown as a tape delay (is that term even used anymore?  Hehe I guess I'm dating myself) on the west coast, except the Oscars, which are always broadcast live.  I think the Golden Globes for several years now have also been broadcast live on the west coast.  

Edited by ejaycat

12 minutes ago, RuFF said:

BTW, people need to stop crying because Trump won. For better or for worse he won. And one can cry about the electorate or popular vote but he won fair and square on the existing platform. Never saw anybody bitching about the electoral college until people became sore losers. I am absolutely not a fan of Trump nor did I vote for him, but I do believe in our democracy, as it is and I find it silly that people who keep up with the Kardashians and the Real housewives are the same ones pissed, protesting, and wondering how the hell a TV personality and his model wife now occupy the White House. 

You mean other than this?..

Screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-9.57.16-AM.png

Without trying to get too political here.. if there are people out there that at butthurt, is that really so much different than when Obama won 8 years ago?  When you're saying that people need to stop crying about Trump, did they ever stop crying about Obama in all the years he was president?  Particularly through that first term where several Republican leaders said they were determined to make him a 1-term president.  So this all is very much the same reaction we've seen before.

Full disclosure here.. I tend to vote Republican.  I was a fan of McCain and of Romney (not because of any ill-will or animosity towards Obama), but I did not vote for Trump.  And I understand the reaction some people are having here.  As much as I sometimes needs to remind friends of mine that Donald Trump IS in fact your president even if you post a #notmypresident hashtag, I think it's a little silly to label the protesters as being butthurt and that's why they're lashing out.  There is legitimate concern here, IMO.  Maybe it won't develop into people's worst fears and obviously we're only a week into a 4-year presidency, but I'm not exactly so hopeful right now.  I'll give the man a chance to lead, but I can forgive everyone who is afraid of what might happen, just as people did 8 years ago.

27 minutes ago, RuFF said:

While i know there are a ton of people butthurt that Trump won, I'm starting to think Trump will not be the issue everyone seems to think he will be in reference to the 2024 bid. This wouldn't be Trumps first brush with the Olympics as his show the Aprentice featured the 2012 New York bid. He is also pro business and for those that buy into the rhetoric he's pro rich guy.  IOC = rich guys, many of which probably already have an existing relationship with Trump. Throw in that Trump supports the LA2024 bid and that he has proposed a Trillion Dollar infrastructure investment, he appeals to the IOC voters perhaps more than he appeals to Olympic Values. And should the Conservative party advance in Paris I'm not sure Trump is going to be any sort of real game changer. 

To me, it's not about his relationship with IOC members.  It's about American foreign policy that's occurring under his watch.  There were some people that argued NYC's 2012 bid was hurt by anti-American sentiment when Bush was president in 2005.  Didn't really think that was a big factor, but I understand the thinking.  If Trump's White House is going to impose restrictions on immigration from Mexico or from Muslim countries, how is that going to sit with voters?  How does that appeal to Olympic values?  I get what you're saying about Trump being friendly to the rich and famous, but you have to take that along with the policy initiatives that other countries may have to deal with.  And not for nothing, but if we're talking about presidential candidates with ties to the Olympics, let's not forget that Hillary Clinton was the first lady when the Olympics were in Atlanta.  More recently, of course she was secretary of state.  So she's been there with IOC members as well.