9 hours ago, Nacre said:

Watching a basketball game inside a football stadium has to be the worst spectator experience possible without a terrorist attack. (Although hockey in a baseball stadium would be pretty awful too.) It would be silly for LA to sacrifice their optimal design for the stadium just for the sake of hosting an event the stadium will never be well suited for anyway.

We go to Frozen Fenway once a year. It's all about drinking, being in Fenway in the snow and having a good time. Every now and then you look up at the scoreboard and remember there's a hockey game going on. 

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

No baron.. they're still called the San Francisco 49ers.  They didn't drop the city name because they now play in Santa Clara.  No idea where you came up with that.  Much like the Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, and most notably the New York Jets and the New York Giants have been playing in New Jersey for decades and didn't change their respective names.  And still have "NY" in both their logos, much as the 49ers still have "SF."

That siad, the 9'ers are an extreme. They are by far the farthest from the city they are named after... and the only one it a city that is not none as a suburb of the city (if anything, Santa Clara is a suburb of San Jose.) Orchard Park and East Rutherford are about 11 miles from Buffalo/NYC. Santa Clara is 43 miles from SF. 

19 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

That siad, the 9'ers are an extreme. They are by far the farthest from the city they are named after... and the only one it a city that is not none as a suburb of the city (if anything, Santa Clara is a suburb of San Jose.) Orchard Park and East Rutherford are about 11 miles from Buffalo/NYC. Santa Clara is 43 miles from SF. 

True, but would there but would there be any benefit to renaming the team?  What if the Patriots were still called Boston even though they play a long ways from the city?  Granted, they've been called New England so long that no one thinks about it.  The 49ers have enough history with San Francisco that even though they're pretty much playing in another metro area, no need to change the name, less they alienate their fanbase, more than they might already have done so with certain fans by moving.

Oky, went to see La La Land today, and considering how much discussion it's provoked here, might as well give my take on it.

Firstly, as a movie, well, I think the problem was my expectations, from both the media reviews and remarks here, were way too high. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie, but not the masterpiece spectacular I suppose I'd come to expect. More of an homage to the 50s musicals, than a new take on them. Oh, and as a musical it committed the cardinal sin of not having any standout memorable song you come out humming to yourself.

As a tribute to LA, well, yes, it did present a pastel, dreamy, pretty LA. But I never bought it as anything else but a fantasy LA. I felt it was as accurate a reflection of real life LA as the painted Paris sequences were of the real Paris. Both painted pretty idealised pictures of their respective locations. So, no, it's not really of any real significance to the Olympic race, nice enough movie though it is.

Edited by Sir Rols

Am planning to see La La Land later today.  I guess from Sir Rols' capsule review above and some of the other reviews I've been reading, I should expect a Jacques Demy-type musical, something patterned after "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" or "The Young Girls of Rochefort."  

OK, got the adjusted 'expectations' cap on.  

6 minutes ago, gromit said:

Yes they can. The no hosting for two series is dead. It is now a single series so after Qatar 2022, any confederation can now bid except Asia who can now bid for 2030 onwards

Way to reply to a 2-month old post.  As we said then, you are incorrect..

FIFA blocks Europe from hosting 2026 WCup

As I understand it, Europe can only bid if there are no other bids from other confederations.  If you want to refute that, be my guest.  I know England has expressed interest, but they're only allowed to put in a bid if FIFA gets nothing elsewhere.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gromit said:

Yes they can. The no hosting for two series is dead. It is now a single series so after Qatar 2022, any confederation can now bid except Asia who can now bid for 2030 onwards

I think you missed this news

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/10/14/fifa-council-prevents-europe-asia-bid-2026-world-cup

La La Land is bland.  Meh.  It's OK; quite banal.  Music is underwhelming and only good thing I can say is, Emma Stone was completely natural -- which isn't saying much really.  

Correction: I am a new fan of John Legend.  Never heard of him before but this is a man who sings the lyrics and you (at least I) want to listen to them.   

But THE MARTIAN is still my best film of the year so far.  Still have to see  MANCHESTER BY THE SEA and FENCES. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

La La Land is bland.  Meh.  It's OK; quite banal.  Music is underwhelming and only good thing I can say is, Emma Stone was completely natural -- which isn't saying much really.  

Correction: I am a new fan of John Legend.  Never heard of him before but this is a man who sings the lyrics and you (at least I) want to listen to them.   

But THE MARTIAN is still my best film of the year so far.  Still have to see  MANCHESTER BY THE SEA and FENCES. 

Wow, you've never heard of John Legend?  This song came out about 10 years ago, and this was my first introduction to him:

35 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Didn't know there was a timeframe to know of someone.  When did you first hear of Saul Bellow?  Alexander Solzhinetsin?  Barbara Cook?  

No time frame to know of someone, it's just that he's been around a while, and is one of the better contemporary musical artists.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't know who Ariana Grande is, and don't care to know.  I guess it all depends on what kind of music one is into.  I'm still very unfamiliar with Justin Bieber's music (is he even a thing anymore?) etc.  I don't listen to Top 40 radio stations.  

34 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

No time frame to know of someone, it's just that he's been around a while, and is one of the better contemporary musical artists.

Don't get me wrong, I still don't know who Ariana Grande is, and don't care to know.  I guess it all depends on what kind of music one is into.  I'm still very unfamiliar with Justin Bieber's music (is he even a thing anymore?) etc.  I don't listen to Top 40 radio stations.  

Yeah, but don't make it sound like I should've heard of John Legend before today.  Maybe he didn't catch my fancy the first time I heard him.  It sounds very patronizing that one should've known/heard of someone based on somebody's else timetable.  

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Yeah, but don't make it sound like I should've heard of John Legend before today.  Maybe he didn't catch my fancy the first time I heard him.  It sounds very patronizing that one should've known/heard of someone based on somebody's else timetable.  

Oh no, not at all, that wasn't my intention to be patronizing.  I was just saying that I myself had learned about him about 10 years ago.  My reaction was more of a "You've never heard of him?  Oh you have to listen to his work!" kind of thing.  Kind of like when I recommend Odetta to people who have never even heard of her, and she's an old artist.  

LA - It produces some of the most beautiful, transformative, artistic, and perfectly American cultural products ever known and exports them out to the entire globe. Unfortunately those products are manufactured in factories of culture, factories that are on the edge of the sea connected by massive freeways and somewhat tolerable public transit. As a result none of that beautiful and artistic culture trickles down into the architecture or physical form of the city. LA has a culture but it lacks the thing that makes a city truly great and that is a sense of space. LA is the perfect embodiment of the American urban epidemic of being nowhere and somewhere at the same time. But, has anyone ever known a working factory to have a unique and individual sense of place? 

I've seen La La Land. It's good, I liked it. It was like watching a Disney Hollywood theme park.

On 12/27/2016 at 4:31 PM, ejaycat said:

'Bang Bang' is worth your time. 'One Last Time' was all over the radio over here a few years back.  I'm not up on all the recent pop music (crikey that makes me sound old) but there has been enough hype for me to have heard a few of her songs.  Now I don't get this Troye Silvan/Shawn Mendes craze.  It honestly sounds all the same.

As for 'La La Land' - I had a look yesterday.  Yeah it wasn't quite the revelation many made it out to be - but I'll be damned if it didn't make me grin like a loon a few times.  The big staged dance number at the end was an obvious 'An American In Paris' throwback in my opinion.  It seemed to be staged in a hyper-sanitised LA - not the city I know and love at all.  I also found Emma Stone a bit mopey - which made it hard to care about her character.  Also I am getting sick of these movies that have all the young men being huge jazz fans.  As a stoic, middle age man hanging onto whatever relevance I have left (go to town krow...) I just don't get it.  F*ck - when I was in my 20's/30's it was Michael Jackson, U2, Madonna, REM, Cyndi Lauper, Take That etc etc.  I never had an urge to get into jazz.  It just seems like such a movie trope - "let's make the character seem older than he is by making him love jazz - it'll make him seem more complicated yet still obscurely relatable!!"  Ugh.

On 12/28/2016 at 0:38 AM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

As for 'La La Land' - I had a look yesterday.  Yeah it wasn't quite the revelation many made it out to be - but I'll be damned if it didn't make me grin like a loon a few times.  The big staged dance number at the end was an obvious 'An American In Paris' throwback in my opinion.  It seemed to be staged in a hyper-sanitised LA - not the city I know and love at all.  I also found Emma Stone a bit mopey - which made it hard to care about her character.  Also I am getting sick of these movies that have all the young men being huge jazz fans.  As a stoic, middle age man hanging onto whatever relevance I have left (go to town krow...) I just don't get it.  F*ck - when I was in my 20's/30's it was Michael Jackson, U2, Madonna, REM, Cyndi Lauper, Take That etc etc.  I never had an urge to get into jazz.  It just seems like such a movie trope - "let's make the character seem older than he is by making him love jazz - it'll make him seem more complicated yet still obscurely relatable!!"  Ugh.

I enjoyed "La La Land," I thought it was entertaining.  Story-wise, I liked that it ended the way it did (don't wanna give out a spoiler); I thought it was a realistic ending.  The only thing I could have done without was the one song that Emma Stone sings by herself near the end; I thought it was tedious to watch/listen to.  In fact, with many movie musicals I've seen, I always feel that there's at least one song or dance number that I want to fast-forward through.  In "Chicago," for instance, I hated having to endure the song about cellophane.  Even in "West Side Story," a movie I love, I always skip through the "One Hand, One Heart" part and the "Play it Cool" part.  

I feel musicals tend to be tedious to watch anyway; I'm definitely not into seeing live stage musicals, though I have seen some.  Then of course there's the movie musicals that I like that I associate with being a child, like "Wizard of Oz," "The Sound of Music" and "Grease."  I was never a huge "Mary Poppins" fan; that film gets tedious for me during a number of parts.  

Edited by ejaycat
  • Like 1