20 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Even as I was writing my thoughts on LA yesterday, I did realise that ultimately, it will always be flawed as an assessment. In the end, it's one person's - my personal - experience, and everyone reacts to things differently, and their experience can be clouded by so many things - the weather (though I have to say, I've never experienced anything but warm and sunny in LA), who they're with, how they travelled, the type of trip they were on. Also, I mentioned that LA has an image problem. Again, that's based on the prejudices and bias confirmations of my closest circles of friends. I should have also added, that I do know many people who love it and had great experiences there, so condescension towards LA is certainly not universal.

And, yeah, here's one of the big rubs for me. I don't mind big urban areas - Australian cities tend to be very spread out and suburban too, more like American cities than the more compact European ones. And similarly, most of Sydney's best sights and experiences are away from the centre. But I've not done LA by car - I've always had to struggle through using the public transport - usually bus, which involved working out which buses go to where then being surprised how long most of those journeys actually take. Most going through not so good neighbourhoods on the way to my destinations. Of course that makes a big difference to the experience.

And, all my LA experiences have been on my lonesome. Not even an Aussie friend with me much less than a local to show me around. It struck me yesterday, as my original post made me recall back on my travels, how much I've loved everywhere else in California I've been to. I've thoroughly enjoyed San Diego, San Francisco (one of my favourite spots in the world), Tahoe, Monterey and Carmel. And I realised that on my visits to those points, I was often with locals, American friends who could take me by car around and show me their favourite spots and things off the usual tourist trails. I feel I've "experienced" those other areas, while, I have to admit, LA I've only just "seen". 

So maybe the answer is, yeah, I really should give LA another chance. And maybe next time badger you, or Krow, or Paul, or one of the other Angelenos here, to show me a good time, hoon around in some flash car and challenge you to change my preconceptions.

Were you able to make it to Santa Barbara at all?  That's another coastal city worth a visit. 

I totally understand about getting around by public transportation in LA.  Buses are only good if you don't have to go far, but it can be a drag if you have to go more than a few miles for sure.  Just for shits and giggles, one time, my partner and I took the bus from downtown LA to Santa Monica, just to see what it would be like.  It was a Rapid Bus, which is faster than a Local Bus, but it still took some time, and it was very crowded.  Now that there's Metro Rail to Santa Monica from downtown, it's a much improved ride than taking the bus.

A car really is a better way to get around LA.  But now with Uber and Lyft, tourists now have those options, if they don't want to rent a car.  

If you ever plan on coming to LA again, maybe you could hit me up for some places to see.  And restaurants.  And beaches.  And landmarks.  And hiking.  And gardens.  And stuff. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ejaycat said:

If you ever plan on coming to LA again, maybe you could hit me up for some places to see.  And restaurants.  And beaches.  And landmarks.  And hiking.  And gardens.  And stuff. :)

You're on! :)

Actually, I've been invited to go to San Diego to stay with a friend next year. Splitting it with LA wouldn't be a bad idea - so I may be hitting you up earlier than you expect.

Then again, that would maybe mean missing out on a side trip to my beloved San Francisco.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ejaycat said:

Were you able to make it to Santa Barbara at all?  That's another coastal city worth a visit. 

I totally understand about getting around by public transportation in LA.  Buses are only good if you don't have to go far, but it can be a drag if you have to go more than a few miles for sure.  Just for shits and giggles, one time, my partner and I took the bus from downtown LA to Santa Monica, just to see what it would be like.  It was a Rapid Bus, which is faster than a Local Bus, but it still took some time, and it was very crowded.  Now that there's Metro Rail to Santa Monica from downtown, it's a much improved ride than taking the bus.

A car really is a better way to get around LA.  But now with Uber and Lyft, tourists now have those options, if they don't want to rent a car.  

With the expansion of Metro Rail, and the introduction of Uber/Lyft, getting around LA has improved dramatically. Tourist really don't need rentals anymore unless they really find the urge to drive on the "wrong side" of the road. ;)

For argument's sake, suppose the ceremonies are moved the City of Champions stadium. The stadium is shaping up to be the glitziest NFL stadium since AT&T Stadium opened for the Dallas Cowboys. Besides soccer, could the stadium with a retractable roof not be used for marquee events such as gymnastics or basketball (at least for the medal matchups) or is the turnaround time to convert the stadium from ceremonies mode to competition mode too short?

12 minutes ago, stryker said:

For argument's sake, suppose the ceremonies are moved the City of Champions stadium. The stadium is shaping up to be the glitziest NFL stadium since AT&T Stadium opened for the Dallas Cowboys. Besides soccer, could the stadium with a retractable roof not be used for marquee events such as gymnastics or basketball (at least for the medal matchups) or is the turnaround time to convert the stadium from ceremonies mode to competition mode too short?

Iit's way too early.  I think everyone will have to wait until it's built; and then LA-2028 can negotiate properly then.  But it gives them another option.  All depends on what negotiations will yield. 

53 minutes ago, stryker said:

From the renderings that we've seen, it doesn't look like that roof will be retractable.  The roof is essentially a giant glass panel, so the stadium isn't even fully enclosed.  The roof is more like an umbrella.  As such, it's probably less than ideal for gymnastics or basketball where they won't be able to control conditions like weather or lighting.  That more than the turn-around to/from the ceremonies is more likely to prevent any of the indoor sports from being held there.

"Olympia Towers" a Trio of high rises are going up just across from the Staples/LA Live Complex. A pretty impressive addition the growing South Park/Staples Center/ Entertainment hub. That's now 3 multi billion dollar projects for that area. 

1. Metropolis Project - Opening 2018

2. Oceanwide Plaza Project - Opening 2019

3. Olympia Towers Project - Opening 2020???

OlympiaEnclave.jpg?itok=eBk1wBKP

OlympiaEntrance.jpg?itok=IqW6vFkM

OlympiaSkyTerrace.jpg?itok=Dc5Z55U5

OlympiaTowers.jpg?itok=kLy0H0cp

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That's NOT a retractable roof.  Doesn't look like it even has ducts and vents for AC/heating.  

Image result for City of Champions stadium images

But it'll make a better setting for Ceremonies, although they may have to put some sort of cover on the roof to achieve darkness for a 5:00pm PDT start.  

Nope, not retractable.  It's essentially a canopy over a partially sunken stadium, so it's not enclosed at all---open sides.  

On 12/20/2016 at 4:01 PM, Sir Rols said:

You're on! :)

Actually, I've been invited to go to San Diego to stay with a friend next year. Splitting it with LA wouldn't be a bad idea - so I may be hitting you up earlier than you expect.

Then again, that would maybe mean missing out on a side trip to my beloved San Francisco.

Well by all means don't miss out on San Francisco.  My partner and I enjoy going there often.  

But if you do make it to LA, I can give you a list of where to go.  The less touristy spots, the hidden gems, where to get good lahmajoon and khachapuri, Burmese and Sri Lankan food, stuff like that.  Even where to get good shakshuka for brunch.  And ube milkshakes.  And I know a place not too far from me where you can get really good carne asada fries. :D

Edited by ejaycat
  • Like 1

I never realized the decision was made to go with the fixed roof. It's certainly something different, and I've read where the ends of the stadium will be open as the images indicate, however, I speculate whether these will closed via glass panels; the reason being Los Angeles has clearly indicated they want the stadium to be able to host an NCAA Final Four. If they want a Final Four, the stadium will need to be fully enclosed. I cannot imagine the NCAA being happy with a basketball venue where there is outside air flow coming in.

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That's NOT a retractable roof.  Doesn't look like it even has ducts and vents for AC/heating.  

Image result for City of Champions stadium images

But it'll make a better setting for Ceremonies, although they may have to put some sort of cover on the roof to achieve darkness for a 5:00pm PDT start.  

Since there will be a roof/canopy and probably other staging/lighting stuff, then the cauldron will definitely be a moveable, floor-based cauldron (a la London) rather than a large one.

For the record, this is how I would do the Lighting moment:

1.  at Inglewood - a small, floor-based cauldron to be lit by 4 lighters (a la Vancouver -- but not such a huge and ugly cauldron); this is to signify 1x;

then cut to

2. LA City Hall, a temporary cauldron there to be lit by Paralympians -- (signifies 2nd LA hosting, 1984);

and then cut to

3.  the Coliseum where the original Torch will be lit by 3 outstanding US Olympians -- to signify the 3-peat nature of the moment!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 12/22/2016 at 2:41 PM, stryker said:

I never realized the decision was made to go with the fixed roof. It's certainly something different, and I've read where the ends of the stadium will be open as the images indicate, however, I speculate whether these will closed via glass panels; the reason being Los Angeles has clearly indicated they want the stadium to be able to host an NCAA Final Four. If they want a Final Four, the stadium will need to be fully enclosed. I cannot imagine the NCAA being happy with a basketball venue where there is outside air flow coming in.

Watching a basketball game inside a football stadium has to be the worst spectator experience possible without a terrorist attack. (Although hockey in a baseball stadium would be pretty awful too.) It would be silly for LA to sacrifice their optimal design for the stadium just for the sake of hosting an event the stadium will never be well suited for anyway.

Edited by Nacre

I won't disagree here. I went to the NBA All-Star Game at AT&T Stadium a couple years ago. Unless you have floor seats, the sightlines are terrible. But it's all about the money, hence why the NCAA now requires a domed or retractable roof stadium as a prerequisite to hosting a FInal Four. More seats means more dollars. And I'm sure FIBA is probably salivating at the thought of record crowds watching a gold medal match at the Olympics.

On 12/22/2016 at 2:41 PM, stryker said:

But City of Champions is NOT located in the City of LA.  It's in Inglewood; and which is why you have the blowback from the LA CITY Council about not wanting to have Ceremonies set for Inglewood.  There is the Staples Center for LA's hoop dreams, Olympics or NCAA-wise.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

25 minutes ago, stryker said:

I won't disagree here. I went to the NBA All-Star Game at AT&T Stadium a couple years ago. Unless you have floor seats, the sightlines are terrible. But it's all about the money, hence why the NCAA now requires a domed or retractable roof stadium as a prerequisite to hosting a FInal Four. More seats means more dollars. And I'm sure FIBA is probably salivating at the thought of record crowds watching a gold medal match at the Olympics.

Except I'm not sure City of Champions stadium qualifies as domed and it's certainly not a retractable roof.  No question they'll figure out how to set it up for a Final Four, but I'm not sure how well that will translate for a gold medal basketball final.  I can't see a scenario where the stadium is used like the Georgia Dome was where it had both basketball and gymnastics, especially since NCAA requirements are now that the basketball court is in the center of the field rather than at 1 end.  Not sure that's how they want to set up an Olympic basketball tournament if they're probably not selling 70,000+ tickets for more than a game or to.

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But City of Champions is NOT located in the City of LA.  It's in Inglewood; and which is why you have the blowback from the LA CITY Council about not wanting to have Ceremonies set for Inglewood.  There is the Staples Center for LA's hoop dreams, Olympics or NCAA-wise.  That's why they're now called the 49ers rather than the SF 49'ers because they are now based in another city, Santa Clara.  The borders do matter. 

No baron.. they're still called the San Francisco 49ers.  They didn't drop the city name because they now play in Santa Clara.  No idea where you came up with that.  Much like the Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, and most notably the New York Jets and the New York Giants have been playing in New Jersey for decades and didn't change their respective names.  And still have "NY" in both their logos, much as the 49ers still have "SF."

You're right about the issues that having the ceremonies outside of LA proper might lead to.  Very much not right about the San Francisco 49ers

42 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

No baron.. they're still called the San Francisco 49ers.  They didn't drop the city name because they now play in Santa Clara.  No idea where you came up with that.  Much like the Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, and most notably the New York Jets and the New York Giants have been playing in New Jersey for decades and didn't change their respective names.  And still have "NY" in both their logos, much as the 49ers still have "SF."

You're right about the issues that having the ceremonies outside of LA proper might lead to.  Very much not right about the San Francisco 49ers

Oh, OK.  Goes to show you how much I follow NFL stuff.  I thought the City of SF passed a resolution asking them to drop the SF from the team name.  Or maybe I've just blocked out "SF" in connection with the NFL team.  No biggie.  

12 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, OK.  Goes to show you how much I follow NFL stuff.  I thought the City of SF passed a resolution asking them to drop the SF from the team name.  Or maybe I've just blocked out "SF" in connection with the NFL team.  No biggie.  

All good.  Although now that you mention that, perhaps you were thinking NBA, not NFL.  With the new arena soon to be built, I believe there was an agreement in place that if the Warriors move there, they'll rename themselves the San Francisco Warriors and lose "Golden State."