1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

Awarding the 2024 and 2028 games together could come with complications for both LA and Paris. Both remain fully committed to 2024 and are not even considering the 2028 Games.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/12/14/Olympics/LA-28.aspx?ana=SBD Email 

Four-Year Delay In L.A. Hosting Olympics Could Bring Unforeseen Challenges

By Ben Fischer, Staff Writer

Published December 14, 2016

I didn't think awarding 2 different games would be a good idea anyway, and I would think many would think the same, precisely for the reasons outlined in the article.  I mean come on, one city would have 7 years to prepare, the other would have 11 years to prepare(!).  That's way too long, 

Edited by ejaycat

Where do you get 15 years from? It would be a 7-11 deal! :lol:

But as with anything, though, there's pros & cons to do it & not to do it. For starters, it relieves the burden & cost of another extensive bid cycle & gives the IOC piece of mind (considering all the city drop outs as of late).

I think a lot of the talk, too, of "we're 'laser-focused' on 2024" is to create a sense of urgency & to try & make Bach (& others with the IOC) to think twice about such a scenario. But I bet if L.A. found themselves on the short-end of the stick come next Sept, I'd bet they then woulda preferred this deal.

10 minutes ago, FYI said:

Where do you get 15 years from? It would be a 7-11 deal! :lol:

Ooops typo, mah bad!  I've corrected my post.  

6 minutes ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

It's getting challenging whether to choose poutine or empanadas? Or escargot or herring?

nQCbge.jpg

Vote in the Semi Finals of the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup to decide:

Semi Finals - GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

Or enter a new logo in this year's Comp:

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp

18 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

City of Champions Stadium is going to be privately owned and privately financed.  It need not conform to FIFA specifications.  It's going to be optimized for an NFL team.  There is little chance they'll put in a provision for an athletics platform (and by little chance, I mean absolutely no chance).  Stan Kroenke is not about to spend well north of $2 billion for a 1-time event that's not even guaranteed to happen, particularly if it compromises his NFL franchise.

Look at Wembley set up for an NFL game compared to the renderings for City of Champions stadium..

Wembley.jpg

Inglewood-Football-Stadium.jpg

Look how much extra space there is around the playing surface at Wembley than there is in Inglewood.  A large part of that is due to the fact that American football fields are narrower than your standard FIFA football pitch, but that's how NFL stadiums are designed.  They're not going to move seats further away from the field in the event they need to put an athletics platform in.  Certainly not when they have the LA Coliseum where the seating bowl was built and remains much more suitable to host athletics.  Because this stadium will be state of the art (as opposed to a renovation), it will get consideration to host the ceremonies, as we've already heard.  No shot whatsoever they're using this stadium for athletics.

OK I think you've convinced me. I've looked at the MetLife stadium (this time the shape should be quite the same as Inglewood stadium's shape).

Metlife-Stadium.jpg

I think it would be possible to implement an athletics platform but a lot of seats would be lost (I think about 30000 lost seats). This is more than the 20000 lost seats at Wembley because the field of play is smaller in an NFL stadium...So it would lead to a capacity of  about 50000 seats, which is not enough.

Well, something's got to give between LA and Paris.  They knew going in that each had a 25% chance (Well, when Rome was still in the thick of things) -- so what are they crowing about now?  The odds are even better now, in that it is 50% for each.  

Sponsors?  The IOC takes care of the TOP level.  There will NOT be a shortage of sponsors whether it happens in '24 or '28.  As a matter of fact, if it were 2028, corporations would be better able to project programs which culminate in 2028.  

Stop posturing, LA and USOC.  You've done this before.   They'll come around if that's what the IOC presents to them.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

12 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

It would be bittersweet for whomever gets the 28' games should they go that route. 

LA is pretty much ready now which would make 28' that much further away.

But it's NOT for Paris or LA to decide.  It's the IOC's call.  They are going to do whatever it takes to preserve their brand--regardless of how the bidding cities feel.  

1 hour ago, ejaycat said:

Ooops typo, mah bad!  I've corrected my post.  

;)

57 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, something's got to give between LA and Paris.  They knew going in that each had a 25% chance (Well, when Rome was still in the thick of things) -- so what are they crowing about now?  The odds are even better now, in that it is 50% for each.  

And they only had a 20% chance when Hamburg was still in over a year ago! And yeah, nevermind Buda-"pest" at this point! :lol:

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But it's NOT for Paris or LA to decide.  It's the IOC's call.  They are going to do whatever it takes to preserve their brand--regardless of how the bidding cities feel.  

Exacti-Mundo!

20 minutes ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

It's Going Two Get Very Challenging. Poutine or empanadas? Or escargot or herring?

nQCbge.jpg

Vote in the Semi Finals of the GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup to decide:

Semi Finals - GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners' Cup

Or enter a new logo in this year's Comp:

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Comp

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RuFF said:

"La La Land" opened in theaters here in Miami last night and all I can say is that It does a great job of capturing the essence of Los Angeles. It could easily become a promotional piece for LA2024. 

That said this past week has been pretty incredible for LA in terms of New Developments and should LA win the 2024 bid the world is in for a treat.

I must admit, that opening number which was shot in a single take will go down as one of the most iconic scenes of any movie. I was shocked at how well it was put together.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What's with all this peripheral stuff about nice movies about LA?  :blink:  

I mean Paris has 300 MORE beautiful movies about their City (than ugly LA) and you don't see their boosters cluttering that thread with such lame, helpless posts.  So smacks of desperation.  

Well, this is an English language forum. So naturally there are not as many Paris boosters here as LA boosters.

I think part of the issue, though, is that people in LA see the Olympics through the prism of the 1984 games. The city did not have to worry about hostile sporting federations or an international media focusing on every small flaw in the host city in the 80's. So Los Angelenos think that they will be able to get the world to see their positives, despite the fact that the last six or seven Olympic hosts have had to endure an endless review of all of their flaws.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What's with all this peripheral stuff about nice movies about LA?  :blink:  

I mean Paris has 300 MORE beautiful movies about their City (than ugly LA) and you don't see their boosters cluttering that thread with such lame, helpless posts.  So smacks of desperation.  

Cool! So write about it in the Paris 2024 forum!!!

Why are some of y'all shocked/annoyed that people in the LOS ANGELES forum are highlighting some of the positive recent events or films that showcase the city???

Yes, Paris has been in stellar movies, hell, it even makes a cameo in La La Land.

Relax, people, relax.

Would you rather we write a raving review about it in the Paris forum???

On 15/12/2016 at 0:41 AM, neige said:

OK I think you've convinced me. I've looked at the MetLife stadium (this time the shape should be quite the same as Inglewood stadium's shape).

Metlife-Stadium.jpg

I think it would be possible to implement an athletics platform but a lot of seats would be lost (I think about 30000 lost seats). This is more than the 20000 lost seats at Wembley because the field of play is smaller in an NFL stadium...So it would lead to a capacity of  about 50000 seats, which is not enough.

I had some time this week end...so I tried to look at that in detail...:)

On these 2 pictures from Google Map (London 2012 and Rio 2016), it can be measured the size of the platform for Athletics: about 140m x 200m (from first raw to first raw)

L’image contient peut-être : plein air

Now, let's have a look at LA coliseum, the athetic platform was quite narrow because spectators were very close to the track in 1932 (and 1984)

Afficher l'image d'origine

The challenge for 2024 is to build a wider platform wouthout loosing too much capacity. The wider the platform, the lower the capacity. Here is the compromise that has been chosen for a given capacity of 60000 seats (https://la24-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/pdf/LA2024-canditature-part1_english.pdf)

From this picture, I would say the platform will be about 120 m wide (12 m on each side of the track).

la-2024-stade-olympique.jpg

It would give this configuration on Google Map:

• red for LA 2024 configuration
  • the shape of London Olympic stadium is given for comparison: pure ellipse (140m x 200m for the platform, 240 x 300 for the stands)

15590730_1184421504975962_5176574891063579506_o.jpg?oh=12e8dfc55ac5ff3eaa33d3f7cf5e9962&oe=58F45189

And now, the MetLyfe NFL stadium:

As you can see, it is almost perfect! 

The problem is the lost capacity (about 30 000 seats) and maybe the view angle for spectators at the top of the stadium  as Rob said. I tried to make a calculation but I'm not sure of the heights to be considered. Assuming 50 m high for the stands and 15 m high for the platform, I find about the same angle for a spectator to the track (lane #9) than for a spectator to the line of the football field or for a spectator to the lane #1 compared to a spectator to the center of the field.

It has to be asked Stan Kroenke to build a 100 000 seats stadium at Inglewood and it will be perfect for athletics!

7 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Cool! So write about it in the Paris 2024 forum!!!

Why are some of y'all shocked/annoyed that people in the LOS ANGELES forum are highlighting some of the positive recent events or films that showcase the city???

Yes, Paris has been in stellar movies, hell, it even makes a cameo in La La Land.

Relax, people, relax.

Would you rather we write a raving review about it in the Paris forum???

There's a fine line between highlighting positive events and using every single thing you see as an affirmation of how incredible LA is.  Yea, this is the LOS ANGELES forum.  Doesn't mean everyone is going to agree when it's filled with happy thoughts and confirmation bias and anyone who disagrees with that needs to pipe down.  Hey, the LA organizers were dressed more casually than the Paris organizers at the presentations in Doha.  Clearly that must mean LA is more in tune with youth than Paris.  I could see this forum having been around during the Rodney King riots.. "no, it's not a negative, it just means that LA is ready to 'beat' the competition'

6 hours ago, neige said:

As you can see, it is almost perfect! 

The problem is the lost capacity (about 30 000 seats) and maybe the view angle for spectators at the top of the stadium  as Rob said. I tried to make a calculation but I'm not sure of the heights to be considered. Assuming 50 m high for the stands and 15 m high for the platform, I find about the same angle for a spectator to the track (lane #9) than for a spectator to the line of the football field or for a spectator to the lane #1 compared to a spectator to the center of the field.

It has to be asked Stan Kroenke to build a 100 000 seats stadium at Inglewood and it will be perfect for athletics!

No.. as I can see, it's the exact opposite of perfect.  Do you realize that in your diagram, the borders of the playing surface extend beyond the edges of the lower level of the stadium?  And even if you were just talking about the track itself, in order to fit that into MetLife, you would need a platform raised so high that you would lose almost the entire lower bowl and made the viewing angles for many of the seat up top horrible for viewing the action.  That you're trying to tell me this looks almost perfect is several levels of absurd.

As for Stan Kroenke, that's his stadium that's getting built.  He's not going to change the design to accommodate athletics if it compromises the stadium's primary tenant.  And it's impossible for that to happen.  Who is going to ask this of Stan Kroenke when it's his money, not public funds or anything in the Olympic budget that's being used for the stadium?  ZERO chance any of that is happening, let alone that it's all based on the possibility of LA getting the Olympics, which they have yet to secure.  The ceremonies might be held there.  Athletics will not.  You can bet the farm on that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

There's a fine line between highlighting positive events and using every single thing you see as an affirmation of how incredible LA is.  Yea, this is the LOS ANGELES forum.  Doesn't mean everyone is going to agree when it's filled with happy thoughts and confirmation bias and anyone who disagrees with that needs to pipe down.  Hey, the LA organizers were dressed more casually than the Paris organizers at the presentations in Doha.  Clearly that must mean LA is more in tune with youth than Paris.  I could see this forum having been around during the Rodney King riots.. "no, it's not a negative, it just means that LA is ready to 'beat' the competition'

Showing enthusiasm for a city's progress and development and how it may relate or influence it's outcome as an Olympic candidate city seems completely in line with why these forums even exist.

Being called out and ridiculed for it is ridiculous.

Pierre in general is a piece of work...especially as of lately....for me.

When did this forum become so f*cking snooty? Back in the days of the 2012 race supporters started whole threads on any positive development or portrayal of their city. And we wonder why this forum is so quiet recently when everyone jumps on anything anyone posts????!

Hah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Showing enthusiasm for a city's progress and development and how it may relate or influence it's outcome as an Olympic candidate city seems completely in line with why these forums even exist.

Being called out and ridiculed for it is ridiculous.

Pierre in general is a piece of work...especially as of lately....for me.

Nothing wrong with showing enthusiasm.  But keep it based in reality.  If you're going to throw a little exaggeration/hyperbole, that's understandable.  But we're supposed to believe that the opening number from La La Land is going to become 1 of the most iconic scenes of *any* movie?  Do you honestly believe that?  That's the type of stuff you're being called out for, where you think LA can do no wrong.  Forgive the rest of us who don't share that same rosy outlook and might offer up the idea that for as great as LA is, Paris might be as good or better than them, particularly in the eyes of the IOC, whose opinions are the only ones that matter.

• Like 1