I don't have any great reason but I think LA is going to win. Of course Paris is the sentimental favorite, and all those euro-centrist IOC voters will always fall all over Paris or any big European capitol....until they don't. With all the crazy election happening it seems like upsets are the norm now.

41 minutes ago, IdiOtiC said:

I don't have any great reason but I think LA is going to win. Of course Paris is the sentimental favorite, and all those euro-centrist IOC voters will always fall all over Paris or any big European capitol....until they don't. With all the crazy election happening it seems like upsets are the norm now.

In which case, Budapest will probably beat out LA and Paris!! 

Correction: The threat was specific and the call came from America's International Allies. However, local law enforcement and the FBI did not have enough time to vet the threat like they would, and so, out of an abundance of caution, it ha stepped up security.

Universal City Station on the Metro Red Line was specifically mentioned (part of the LA 2024 TV studios bid)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fbi-investigating-bomb-threat-overseas-tipster-article-1.2899796

3 minutes ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

I Been To Universal Studios Before.

But have you been to Kathmandu, Havana or Hamburg?

But it''ll only take one month to complete competition in the gamesBids logo comps:

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools A & B

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools C & D

We'll be seeing the best of this year's signs by early January.

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

But have you been to Kathmandu, Havana or Hamburg?

But it''ll only take one month to complete competition in the gamesBids logo comps:

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools A & B

GamesBids Olympic Logo Winners Cup - Pools C & D

We'll be seeing the best of this year's signs by early January.

10th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp

Sarcastic replies aside (you know who you are)

Love the plug. Haha.

51 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Is this going to be a Michael Bloomberg-like subway ride?  I'm betting it is..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/nyregion/01bloomberg.html

I know its all PR and to reassure everyone it's fine.

The last Mayor (Villaraigosa) was regularly seen with his staff taking the train into Downtown LA without a news camera in sight.

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

If the IOC awarded both LA and Paris the games at the same time for 24 and 28....man I will probably cry.

It would be too perfect. Paris and LA are a tag team TBH. A joined forces would make for not one but two amazing games.

And a breather from three successive East Asian Games.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeamBlakeUSA said:

Too true

Edited by Sir Rols

http://www.dailynews.com/events/20161209/la-will-fight-any-inglewood-plans-for-2024-olympics-openingclosing-ceremonies

I know the prospect of the City of Champions stadium being used for ceremonies has been discussed here before, but this is the first indication it might become a reality and the possibility of a rift with the L.A. City Council.

5 minutes ago, stryker said:

http://www.dailynews.com/events/20161209/la-will-fight-any-inglewood-plans-for-2024-olympics-openingclosing-ceremonies

I know the prospect of the City of Champions stadium being used for ceremonies has been discussed here before, but this is the first indication it might become a reality and the possibility of a rift with the L.A. City Council.

In the final part of the bid, legacy, is where LA plans to drop the Stadium of Champioms bomb.

Frankly, I'd like to see the ceremonies remain at the Coliseum, but one of the pros for having the ceremonies in Inglewood is reducing the costs of overlay at the Coliseum. Logistically speaking, I would assume if the Inglewood stadium is used for the ceremonies that the Forum would be the holding area for the athletes in the parade of nations.

1 hour ago, stryker said:

Frankly, I'd like to see the ceremonies remain at the Coliseum, but one of the pros for having the ceremonies in Inglewood is reducing the costs of overlay at the Coliseum. Logistically speaking, I would assume if the Inglewood stadium is used for the ceremonies that the Forum would be the holding area for the athletes in the parade of nations.

I agree 100%

I think they should keep the ceremonies at the Coliseum. They can hold the athletes at the new Banc of California Stadium being built right next door.

10 hours ago, RuFF said:

I've thought that the City of Champions Stadium would be considered for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for a while, but the largest setback on that plan is the $250 million guarantee from the City of LA. I can't see them guaranteeing a games that will open and close in another city. Or if they do there will be something in it for them. Perhaps the $250 million guarantee itself, effectively eliminating all risk to the City of Los Angeles.

It's important to be clear. The billion plus line item everyone is discussing in the LA2024 bid isn't just for a raised track at the Coliseum. Venue Overlay would occur at venues throughout the area. 

And about the potential move to Inglewood, the main events would remain at the Coliseum as track and field are popular Olympic events. But moving the Ceremonies to the City of Champions stadium would significantly increase revenue possibilities over both the Coliseum or Stade de France because of the luxury amentities that will be available with the new stadium. And in the move other connections would come. We could see a wildly popular demonstration sport (American Football) added, we could see the Olympic Brand connected to the NFL and both its and the worlds most expensive stadium, and through the owner of that stadiums wife (Ann Walton), we could see Walmart become a major Olympic Sponsor. 

Has there been any talk of a connection between Walmart and an LA Olympics because of the stadium?  Or is that just you pushing that idea?  A lot of that is extremely speculative.  Let's wait until they get an Olympics first and then see who becomes a major Olympic sponsor.  That's a pretty indirect connection to think a sponsor may come on board because 1 of the local stadiums' owner is married to someone in the Walton family.

As for City of Champions being used for the ceremonies, 2 issues there (the least of which is the fact that it's not in Los Angeles proper).  1 is that the stadium is privately owned and financed.  Anything that happens to that stadium or in it is the property of Stan Kroenke.  Much easier for the IOC have control at the Coliseum, a public owned stadium where there are 2 sets of renovations going on, at least 1 of which would be specific to the Olympics.  Kroenke isn't building his stadium with the Olympics in mind, nor do I see him making modifications that might compromise his team.  More important than that.. having the ceremonies at the Coliseum puts it in close proximity to the athletes village.  Otherwise you're talking about busing tens of thousands of athletes to a different venue.  No idea task with all the other logistics involved there.

And lastly.. I thought it was pretty clear about the budget for the venue improvements.  I don't think anyone here believes that's all going to the Coliseum.  But, as it's been brought up before, $1.2 billion (or whatever the official number is) is a lot of money to spend on facilities for a bid committee that likes to claim how everything is already in place.  It may be in place, but it will take a lot of money to get everything Olympic-ready, and history tells us that dollar figure will go up if LA is awarded the games, as it almost always does.  No matter how many times they want to guarantee that won't happen.

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

Something else to consider that is right down LA's alley. Threatening to move. If you have followed the NFL return to LA you know that saga well. A threat for a better stadium. Might this be a bargaining chip for a Coliseum that is renovated better than proposed? Perhaps this is the push USC and the City of LA need to place a better renovation to the Coliseum on the table. One with less obstructions to sight lines and more along the 500 million originally proposed?

No.  An NFL team is not going to move into a renovated LA Coliseum.  If that was an option, LA would have had pro football years ago.  It took someone like Kroenke with a lot of his own money and a vision to build a brand new stadium to make that happen.  At this point, if there's going to be a 2nd NFL team in LA, they're either moving into Kroenke's new palace or building their own new stadium, and the latter is pretty unlikely since it still likely means being second fiddle in the city unless you think you can out-spend Kroenke.  That is not leverage USC can use since it's their money being spent on the upgrades and the contract they will still have that says they must make it available for an Olympics.  An NFL team will want to be the primary tenant wherever they play and that will never happen in the Coliseum.

4 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Frankly I hate how the new stadium came into play for ceremonies.

The Coliseum is so much more iconic.

LA Coliseum

• somewhere between 60,000-70,000 seats in Olympic mode
  • lots of obstructed view seats after they add the block of luxury suites
  • not designed for performances like the opening ceremonies
  • closer to athletes and media villages
  • has hosted two Olympic opening ceremonies previously

Inglewood stadium

• 100,000 seats in special events mode
  • modern stadium with excellent sight lines (unless the architects botch the job)
  • specifically designed as a multipurpose venue for hosting events like the opening ceremonies, political conventions, etc
  • closer to the airport and tourist parts of LA

It would not be an easy choice for me. LA 2024 would make an extra $30+ million with the ceremonies at the stadium in Inglewood, and it would presumably allow them to be a lot more creative with the ceremonies as well. But sentiment and convenience for the media and athletes would obviously be on USC's side.

• Like 1