Lot's of people assume as soon as they hear "#Calexit" is that it's illegal!!!111 or gonna start Word War 34565, but if you read the campaigns of secession proponents, you'll see that they're actually seeking peaceful, legal methods to do so. Plus, it would be highly frowned upon to declare war on another industrialized nation that is integral to the international economy, who wants to do so peacefully. (But peace is slow and painful, so maybe we should go into another civil war!)

17 hours ago, woohooitsme83 said:

Ah, but here's where you're mistaken, my friend! California is still able to legally secede via a constitutional amendment (see Texas v. White). Plus, war between industrialized nations is so, like, last century :P

California cannot secede. California could be removed from the USA by the national legislature. But since that would likely start a chain reaction of other states and regions wanting out, doing that would be suicide. (If I had a choice of an independent Oregon Country and being a part of the American empire I would pick the former, for example.) The national government is never going to agree to let Texas or California go.

War has only been reduced between industrialized countries because the birthrate of industrialized countries has fallen. They are still very willing to fight over issues they consider vital to their national interests.

Edited by Nacre

5 hours ago, Nacre said:

California cannot secede. California could be removed from the USA by the national legislature. But since that would likely start a chain reaction of other states and regions wanting out, doing that would be suicide. (If I had a choice of an independent Oregon Country and being a part of the American empire I would pick the former, for example.) The national government is never going to agree to let Texas or California go.

War has only been reduced between industrialized countries because the birthrate of industrialized countries has fallen. They are still very willing to fight over issues they consider vital to their national interests.

I never said California would secede. I know it would be near impossible for them to secede. I just said that it was possible for them to secede. Not likely at all, but legally possible nonetheless.

10 hours ago, Rob. said:

I see Inglewood stadium construction has now begun. Sounds like digging a big hole in the ground is the first job.

Yes; most of it is supposed to be below ground level, at least from renderings I've seen.

12 hours ago, Rob. said:

I see Inglewood stadium construction has now begun. Sounds like digging a big hole in the ground is the first job.

Yaaay!

Los Angeles Rams break ground on $2.6-billion Inglewood stadium, 'new era' of NFL

http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-ground-breaking-20161117-story.html

No. It's happening regardless of the Olympics and is a rare example of an entirely privately funded US stadium. There are grey areas when it comes to Olympic budgets (e.g. should transport infrastructure be included), but in this case it's clear cut.

Edited by Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob. said:

No. It's happening regardless of the Olympics and is a rare example of an entirely privately funded US stadium. There are grey areas when it comes to Olympic budgets (e.g. should transport infrastructure be included), but in this case it's clear cut.

So, why does Paris take into account Roland Garros renewal (started: M$ 399), the water sports center (started: 85 M$) or even the OV (construction work has started for a part of it)?

All of that is clearly detailed in the bid file part 2. 

Examples:

Olympic village: permanent works: 1,448,304 (public: 254,516, private: 1,193,187), overlay: 159,600

Rolland Garros: permanent works: 399,000 (public: 22,800, private: 376,200), overlay: 1,638

What I don't understand is why the permanent works for Rolland Garros are taken into account since they will be done regardless of the olympics. (same for the water sports center and even for the OV since construction works have already started....)

8 hours ago, neige said:

I have a question: If included in Los Angeles bid, will it increase the budget of $2,6 billion?

I can't imagine they would since it is not being built for the Olympics. This is an NFL stadium being privately finanaced.

Of course, LA 2024 can use it if necessary, but this is completely independent of the games.

It would be foolish to include it as part of the budget.

Even LA's transit system should not be included as this is getting built with or without a winning bid.

LA is getting all these cool projects that the Olympics can benefit from greatly without costing them a cent.

1 hour ago, neige said:

OK, I catch your point but I still don't understand why the same reasoning cannot be applied to Roland Garros renovation since it will be done regardless of the olumpics (work has already started)

Aren't they building a temporary roof over one of the courts for another sport?

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Vocal fry?  Heard nothing wrong with it.  But the weakest part is just flashing the sport pictogram very quickly over the various areas.   Too rushed. 

Agreed on both points. People don't seem to complain when guys use vocal fry ...

On the sport pictogram thing, I think it's only really a problem when a venue is to host multiple sports, and they display the pictograms in succession at the same point on screen, rather than simultaneously side-by-side.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

People don't seem to complain when guys use vocal fry ...

I beg to differ; I don't like it when guys use vocal fry either.  I think it's a bad habit.  especially in formal speech or something like a voice-over or when reading the news, radio or TV. 

• Like 1