On 10/18/2016 at 11:14 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Although the song is "April in Paris"  (not October).  ;) 

I am sure April is lovely as well, but I did like the still kind of lukewarm temperatures, but the noticeable transition into fall. It was perfect weather for me. Not too hot not too cold and a bit of rain here and there. 

I was still on a Paris high when I got home only to turn on the TV a few days later and learn of the horrific attack. It really did break my heart considering I had just been walking her streets.

The Tunnel Boring Machine "TBM" that will bore twin tunnels underneath Downtown LA was lowered yesterday. Nicknamed "Angeli", the TBM will help connect the two largest  rail terminus of the LA transit system (Union Station and 7th/Metro) directly to one another.

Expo, Blue, and Gold Line will all share three new underground stations eliminating the need to transfer to the Red/Purple to complete a trip.

This will be very useful in getting people from the Eastside/Downtown Area to the Downtown Cluster, Santa Monica, and Long Beach Cluster on a single ride in the event of a 2024 Games in Los Angeles. 

TBMRC4.jpg

contest_02.jpg

CvKqAm4UEAA9u6S.png:large

TBMRC5.jpg

la-me-ln-regional-connector-20140930

Regional-Connector.jpg

connectormap-1024x615.jpg

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

On another thread there is a discussion about UCLA/USC being used instead of the piggyback yards. Is it a missed opportunity for LA? And on this thread it's been said that UCLA/USC are a plan B. I've assumed that implies that USC/UCLA Athletes Village and Media Centers are a downgrade to the originally proposed village at the Piggyback Yards. Personally, I've felt UCLA/USC are not only an upgrade to the Piggyback Yards, but overall an upgrade to a ground up Athletes Village. I would go even further to say that the Piggyback Yards are a prime opportunity for open recreational space as previously envisioned as part of the LA River Project. I, for one, am thankful no Athletes Village will be built on that site. I feel it's potential is so much greater as open recreational space as more dense areas along the river could easily be accommodated south of this site, in particular the Arts District and industrial areas south. What do you guys think? 

I agree. 

The Piggyback yards would have pushed LA's bid well into the red very early on.

UCLA and the new USC Village is a MUCH better location.

11 hours ago, RuFF said:

On another thread there is a discussion about UCLA/USC being used instead of the piggyback yards. Is it a missed opportunity for LA? And on this thread it's been said that UCLA/USC are a plan B. I've assumed that implies that USC/UCLA Athletes Village and Media Centers are a downgrade to the originally proposed village at the Piggyback Yards. Personally, I've felt UCLA/USC are not only an upgrade to the Piggyback Yards, but overall an upgrade to a ground up Athletes Village. I would go even further to say that the Piggyback Yards are a prime opportunity for open recreational space as previously envisioned as part of the LA River Project. I, for one, am thankful no Athletes Village will be built on that site. I feel it's potential is so much greater as open recreational space as more dense areas along the river could easily be accommodated south of this site, in particular the Arts District and industrial areas south. What do you guys think? 

Fair enough. I know which other thread (and forum) you're talking about and I've had a little chuckle at one LA supporter tying himself in knots over there. I think the biggest advantage of LA's concept is the training campus idea, which is very, very good and something its rivals won't be able to replicate. Whether retrofitting student accommodation will meet the expectations the IOC has of a modern Games village remains to be seen, however. A ground-up village will always cover ever base where as compromises may have to be made with something that's already there.

I'm looking forward to seeing the IOC's evaluation report on this anyway, because I've no idea how they'll see it right now.

Edited by Rob.

And 2022 - 2028 might just work out as repeats:

2022 - Beijing returns as WOG host.  

2024 - Paris hosts for the 3rd time

2026 - Innsbruck probably hosts WOG for the 3rd time as well.  (Perhaps US hosts the FIFA WC a 2nd time.)

2028 - LA hosts for the 3rd time.

2030 - Maybe Uruguay (& Argentina) rehost a WC for the 2nd time.  

23 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And 2022 - 2028 might just work out as repeats:

2022 - Beijing returns as WOG host.  

2024 - Paris hosts for the 3rd time

2026 - Innsbruck probably hosts WOG for the 3rd time as well.  (Perhaps US hosts the FIFA WC a 2nd time.)

2028 - LA hosts for the 3rd time.

2030 - Maybe Uruguay (& Argentina) rehost a WC for the 2nd time.  

2026 - England hosts the FIFA WC a 2nd time

1 hour ago, gromit said:

2026 - England hosts the FIFA WC a 2nd time

FIFA won’t allow European bids to host 2026 World Cup

That decision is from less than 2 weeks ago.  Now if your post said "2030 - England hosts the FIFA WC a 2nd time," that I would agree with.  Won't happen in 2026 unless FIFA doesn't get any legitimate bids from another confederation and the odds of that happening are pretty slim.

30 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I'm not so sure FIFA will get legitimate bids. Depends upon how greedy they get with terms. 

Given how eager the USOC has historically been to pursue the Olympics, what makes you think USSF will be any different considering there ARE continental rotation rules in place that eliminate the 2 continents most likely to give North America any competition?  Do you honestly think FIFA won't get a bid from either the United States or Canada or someone else that fulfills the technical requirements?

• Like 1