The Los Angeles Sports Arena is being demolished, to be replaced by the LAFC's Banc of California Stadium. 

14310454_10205568912980827_2491507719237

I'm usually nostalgic about old buildings, but I'm actually not saddened that the LA Sports Arena is being knocked down.  I think it should've been demolished after USC basketball moved to the Galen Center.  Yeah, it's historic---the 1960 Democratic Convention was held there; it was the boxing venue during the 1984 Summer Olympics; various big name bands and performers had concerts here... I saw Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour here in 1990.  But the Sports Arena has been looking pretty run-down for many years now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ejaycat said:

The Los Angeles Sports Arena is being demolished, to be replaced by the LAFC's Banc of California Stadium. 

14310454_10205568912980827_2491507719237

I'm usually nostalgic about old buildings, but I'm actually not saddened that the LA Sports Arena is being knocked down.  I think it should've been demolished after USC basketball moved to the Galen Center.  Yeah, it's historic---the 1960 Democratic Convention was held there; it was the boxing venue during the 1984 Summer Olympics; various big name bands and performers had concerts here... I saw Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour here in 1990.  But the Sports Arena has been looking pretty run-down for many years 

I agree. I don't particularly feel bad that its gone.

I went to my first ever rave there, and most recently saw Bernie Sanders speak at his LA rally, but was never a fan of the place. It was such an uninspiring design with not much else around it.

It felt like an oversized high school auditorium.

9 hours ago, Jesse Saenz said:

I agree. I don't particularly feel bad that its gone.

I went to my first ever rave there, and most recently saw Bernie Sanders speak at his LA rally, but was never a fan of the place. It was such an uninspiring design with not much else around it.

It felt like an oversized high school auditorium.

I was never fond of it either.  I'm sure it was state of the art and all modern when it first opened, but by the 1980s I felt it was hopelessly dated, and in subsequent decades became pretty run-down.  

Totally unrelated to the Olympic bid dor 2024, but one thing LA is seldomely known for is being a romantic city.

"La La Land" coming out this December is LA's shot at its own musical, and early reviews from Venice and Toronto say it is an instant classic. Rave reviews keep pouring in.

LA, after playing the role of other great cities finally gets a close up of its own.

I just made a Snapchat pitch to LA2024.

I just sent two snaps showing off my Olympic/Paralympic collection, and then one showing the journal I took in the last two months.

If anything, it showed I have the diligence, energy and enthusiasm to help out in any way!

Does anyone here know how I could get in touch with someone from #LA2024? 

On 9/14/2016 at 1:54 PM, RuFF said:

This is actually a real possibility. On the final stretch to Lima, you can likely expect Paris and Los Angeles to pull all the stops. Among them is probably the moving of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies to the City of Champions Stadium (Rams). American Football is a real possibility for a demonstration sport, and driving the possibility of Walmart becoming an Olympic Partner is Stan Kroenke and his marriage to Ann Walton, daughter of the founder of Walmart. An Olympic Games also offers a real possibility for the rebranding of the Walmart Brand, the worlds largest company by revenue. However, I'm sure that is as valuable as NBC. 

Why would they move the ceremonies? No stadium has ever hosted the games three times, the LA MC is an Olympic icon.

6 hours ago, RuFF said:

And here he is again. Everyone's favorite Alan Abrahamson thinks LA 2024, Paris 2028 is how it should go, and in combo. Meaning that the IOC should decide that in Peru. His warns that headlines to a Paris Bid and Terrorism compared to headlines about stories that promote olympic ideals threaten the Olympic Brand. See more here:

http://www.3wiresports.com/2016/09/15/ioc-la-2024-paris-2028/

Luckily for Abrahamson, the terrorism angle is only a small part of his argument, given that the article was published on 15 September. It would probably have looked a bit different if it had been published after last weekend.

An utterly pathetic article. If LA's bid team take that angle they'll be smashed and rightly so. Redneck introspection, nothing more. America's great, go to France and you'll get headlines about terrorism (as if America is immune to massacres!). Behave yourself!

Still going on about Paris posting pictures of the sun as well. :lol::lol: Telling that this is STILL the biggest blow anyone seems to be land against the Pari bid team's efforts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RuFF said:

And here he is again. Everyone's favorite Alan Abrahamson thinks LA 2024, Paris 2028 is how it should go, and in combo. Meaning that the IOC should decide that in Peru. His warns that headlines to a Paris Bid and Terrorism compared to headlines about stories that promote olympic ideals threaten the Olympic Brand. See more here:

Love us some good confirmation bias here.  Why do I have a feeling you wouldn't have shared this with us if your main man Alan didn't say what you wanted to hear?  Doesn't really make a great case for why it should be LA '24 and Paris '28.  Why not in the other order?  They have to choose 2024 first and then figure for 2028.  If they wanted to do that together here, that's understandable, but ask FIFA how that worked out for them.  They need to make that apparent before the process starts, not this far into the bidding.

So his case against Paris for 2024 is terrorism?  TV ratings as evidenced by football (where apparently he doesn't know how ratings for NFL games work)?  Sounds like the same strawman argument where LA is all that and better to just pretend like Paris has nothing going for it.  Almost makes me think that you are Alan Abrahamson in disguise! :D:P

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Well, I'm not sure about the redneck comment there. Also, terrorism headlines seem to tie stronger to Paris than they do to LA. Paris is nearly synonymous with France to much of the world. Los Angeles is more synonymous with California than it is the United States. Take the incidents that have unfolded in NY/NJ. Are there going to be headlines that throw in LA? By comparison, an attack in the south of France will immediately reference recent attacks in Paris. I think the same applies to Orlando. San Bernardino is probably the only recent attack that tied Los Angeles into it, but I could be wrong. 

So let's see if I have this straight.. something happens in France, regardless of where, and it will resonate with Paris.  But something happens in the United States outside of California and it means little to nothing to Los Angeles.  Wouldn't that reinforce the idea that an LA Olympics bid belongs only to Los Angeles and California and not to the entire country, whereas a Paris Olympics would belong to all of France?  That right there seems to strengthen the argument for Paris as it would be a more national bid.  We know one of the challenges with any US bid is how to make it felt across the entire nation.  Maybe that's not even achievable, but if we're going to continue to use the "anywhere in France" terrorism angle against them and not against LA, that same argument works in favor of Paris that they represent the entire nation whereas LA does not.

14 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Just curious Rob. Let's discount Alan Abrahamsen to dirt. But what about the other article? Are you prepared to discount an Olympic Scholar? A current member of the International Society of Olympic Historians? Is what he is saying also pathetic? 

Its rather interesting that the credentials of people on a public forum are greater than those who have real skin in the game, which for better or for worse would include Alan. 

Discredit Abrahamson?  Done and done.  Good for him that he has an interest in the 2024 Olympics and no doubt he's knowledgeable, but that doesn't mean I have to take his opinions as gospel.  If it smells like bullshit..

15 hours ago, RuFF said:

And who the hell is this guy? I mean, his only arguments againt Paris is terrorism. Is this the only thing he has to say about Paris, really? After what happened in the US? And "vine" is the reason why LA should get the Games? Really? WTF...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Yea, I may be wrong but I get that every time a point that is positive about LA some people hear pretending that Paris has no positive points.

Now who's projecting :lol:.  That's you in a nutshell right there to pretend Paris has no positive points.  Or at least to suppress any discussion of what those might be and how they compare to LA.  To be fair though, it's also your boy Alan.  For example, he says "98 percent of stuff is already on the ground"  Aside from the fact that probably mis-represents temporary overlays needed for venues like the Coliseum and wherever they plan on putting swimming, I'm curious how that compares to Paris.  I'm not asking for him to make a comparison for every point he brings up about LA, but this is what happens when he (and you) are offering a 1-sided perspective and thinking you can "control the conversation."  Because, as we're seeing here, when this all plays out, someone from LA and someone from Paris will be in this side-by-side presenting their case together.  As opposed to here in an echo chamber where it's all about LA and Paris is an afterthough.